Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
2016/06/28 04:47:01 (permalink)

"On Fire" (Rock)

"On Fire" (Rock)

Hi again, guys!

I just uploaded a Test Mix for a song called "On Fire".

If you can spare 3 and a half minutes to check it out, as always, any and all helpful comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, input and ideas are very welcome, and also greatly appreciated!

Big thanks in advance for any observations, suggestions, comments and ideas! 

Bob
====================================

"On Fire"

128kbps MP3 on SoundClick at: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13405375

Or... Better Quality 320kbps MP3 format on the Player at: http://www.boboister.com/test-mixes.html

21 Replies Related Threads

String Jammer
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/06/28 07:11:26 (permalink)
    Hi Bob-O!!!
    I love this song! The guitars sound great as always and the solo sounded silky smooth. Great guitar work! The vocals are superb. I especially like the backup vocals and the effects on them going into the end of the song. The mix sounded perfect on my iPhone so I can imagine it sounds huge through the cans or some real speakers! With all I heard in this song, I believe it to be your best recording yet...not that the others aren't great.
    Keep on rockin' Bob!
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/06/28 07:52:21 (permalink)
    Hi Bob,  you must be working hard at the moment lots of new stuff, I am with Scott on this it has you stamped all over it. nice one

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/06/28 13:09:06 (permalink)
    Another behemoth of a song Bob, that's a building-destroying riff you have there  Drums are working well on this one, none of that 'stickiness' that a couple of your other tracks have suffered from. For me, the pre-chorus riff is a touch loud at 0:50 and at the same point later on, drowning the vocal a bit there. Sounding good for a test mix though!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Bob Oister
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/06/28 21:29:31 (permalink)
    String Jammer:

Hey, Scotty,

Big thanks, brother, I always look forward to and greatly appreciate your good input and observations on my stuff, and your sage advice and suggestions have really helped me with many problem mixes in the past!

Sincere thanks for the very kind words, and you and many of our other forum buddies always provide great help and motivation for me to always try to keep learning and trying to improve.  I'm very grateful for your friendship and support!

Have a great night, buddy!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wookiee:

Hey, Wook,

Thank you so much, my friend!

Yes, Sir, I'm pushing hard trying to pick out and touch up the last few songs for my third album coming out late next month, LOL, it's only two and a half years late!   I wish I had more time to work on my music, but I've been busy with my real work about 65+ hours a week, so I'm lucky to get a couple hours recording and mixing in, usually between 3 and 5 in the morning every couple weeks. 

Thanks again for always lending your excellent furry ears to my stuff, and all your great advice and support here on the forum, I'm truly grateful for all your good input, friendship and support!

Have a good one!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jamesg1213:

Hi, James,

How are you, my friend?  Hope you're doing great!

Thanks so much for giving this one a listen and for your very kind words and good observations!

I'm going to check out the sections you mentioned where the heavy guitars come back in during the pre-choruses, to see whether I should lower the distorted guitars or maybe just punch up the vocals a touch to compensate for the rhythm guitars' re-entry.  Great ears, James, those are the kind of little details that always sneak by me after hearing a song a zillion times!

Thanks again for all your great input, support and friendship, James, truly appreciated!

Best Wishes,
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/06/29 12:37:38 (permalink)
    Hey Bob, how ya' doin'?  Another killer track you've put together there.  Loved it.
    Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/06/29 19:31:02 (permalink)
    Your mixes always sound top notch.  Sounds great!!!!

post edited by Serious_Noize! - 2016/06/30 05:43:35

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/02 14:06:37 (permalink)
    Rockin' Bob!! How you doing man?

really great heavy stuff here Bob!  love those hard guitar riffs!  real head banger here!

mix sounds great on this one!  performances are too!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/02 14:19:49 (permalink)
    I'd just start the song at :21.  For me, that's when it gets powerfully good. The intro as you have it doesn't hook me, the drums aren't really playing along.

For some reason, I thought that after :21 the thing just slams. Really awesome rawk production skills!

thanks, I always look forward to your stuff.

-Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/04 16:15:59 (permalink)
    this might be the heaviest song I've heard from you Bob.that main riff is awesome in the extreme.
    the drum sound is good too, the kicks sound much meatier. there are still one or two little timing errors, especially when you transition from one part to another but definitely nowhere near the issues with the other tracks you've posted recently. vocals are of course great.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/05 16:19:09 (permalink)
    Nice one Bob! Great rocker with great tones. I had to listen twice as I thought there were timeing issues which it was the silence that threw me off. It happens a few times though it doesn't feel smooth. Great mix and song!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    polarbear
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1212
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/05 17:26:55 (permalink)
    Great song man. Really great overall production. 

http://www.bydavidrosen.com
    http://www.imdb.me/davidrosen
    Winner of Best Song of 2007 at Acidplanet.com!

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
    Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
    RME BabyFace Pro - M-Audio Keystation 88es
    Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/05 18:49:03 (permalink)
    Bob you have a radio voice man.  Your guitar sound and your vocals always kick my ass and I love it.  I am quite curious to know about your recording chain. 

You know I'm not an engineer, but I thought the mix was just right. 

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    Bob Oister
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/14 02:18:04 (permalink)
    philz:

Hey, Phil,

Thanks so much, buddy, I greatly appreciate you checking it out for me and your very kind words!

I just want to mention that I really liked your latest collab with Mark and Ed, great stuff!

Thanks again, Phil, I'm always grateful for your input, have a fantastic week!  
    Bob
    ============================================

Serious_Noize:

Hey, Bobby,

How are you, buddy?  Hope you're doing great!

Thanks for giving this a listen and taking time to check this one out for me, I really appreciate your input and encouraging comments!

Have a good one, Bobby!
    Bob
    =============================================

Beagle:

Hey, Reece,

It's really great to hear from you, buddy, hope you're doing well!

Thank you so much for taking time to check this one out for me and for your input, observations and very kind words!  I truly appreciate your always good input and support on my stuff since I joined the forum, and I'm very grateful for your friendship!

P.S.:  I was absolutely furious to read about your recent break in up in the Coffee House thread, and I hope you have better luck with the investigation than our friend Bit Flipper had with his situation, it's truly a shame what's happening to this country these days!

Thanks again, Reece, and sincere best wishes for a decent outcome with the insurance company.

Have a great week, buddy!
    Bob
    =============================================
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/14 12:32:22 (permalink)
    I get tired of saying the same thing, but geez, it's freakin' slammin'. 

The guitars, vocals and drums all sound great, big and fat as usual.  I think the vocals were in danger of getting a little blanketed by the music in a few spots just because the music comes across that powerful, but it's subjective.  And yeah, the solo is really smooth as mentioned above - it sounds like it has a different tone than other songs?    I also did hear just a few minor timing issues, but less than previous songs and nothing overly distracting.   Either way it's just another day in Oister Rock.   

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Bob Oister
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/14 17:41:50 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul:

Hey, Tom,

How's it going, brother?  Hope you're having a Rockin' week!

Big thanks for stopping in to check this one out, and for your always good input and encouraging comments!

Yep, this one has an incremental buildup of elements in the intro before hitting full force just because that's what I was hearing in my head even before the "guts" of the song were recorded.  As I've mentioned here on the forum before, I actually never sit down to try to write a song.  I could be reading, driving, watching TV, taking a shower, mowing the lawn, etc., and the whole shebang just hits me in an instant like a lightning bolt to the brain!   LOL, It's really weird, I mean everything, rhythm, chords, lyrics, guitar tones, tempo, song key, melodies, and even video scenes like a movie in my head.  But then the hard part is trying to recreate what I'm hearing in my head in Sonar, and getting things to sound like I first imagined them.  So, sometimes I end up with unconventional results and things like quirky transitions and weird timing changes, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but I usually just go with my gut.

Anyway, thanks again, Tom, I always greatly appreciate your thoughtful input and observations on my stuff because your stuff always sounds fantastic, and I'm very grateful for your friendship and support here on the forum!

Have a dynamite weekend, buddy!
    Bob
    ===============================================

Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/15 09:59:57 (permalink)
    Another hot rocking tune from the Oister Factory!! Good stuff here Bob and love your guitar tones. I also thought the vocals could come up a few notches....they seem to get slightly behind the heavy guitars. Other than that, this is a winner!
    Well done my friend.....well done!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/15 10:17:27 (permalink)
    Hi Bob
    I hope you are well sir :) 
    Great song, playing and mix - guitars sound great as per usual.
    I think there may be a couple of timing issues here and there with the vocal - may be my ears though :)
    ABeautifulVirus
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/15 10:34:50 (permalink)
    Kinda modern Ozzy meets Dokken - 
    slammin tune. the drums breathe a lot more naturally on this one you did a great job sequencing them - I don't mind the little timing issues here and there. 
    love your voice and mad guitar chops, bro!! people will buy this!! 

- Daren 
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/16 21:51:23 (permalink)
    Wow another powerhouse Bob Oister production.  I love those driving rhythm guitars and the bass work is great.  The mix is excellent especially with the vocals and harmonies.  This really has a radio ready sound to it.  You have another winner with this one!

cclarry
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/17 10:23:45 (permalink)
    This is up my alley...I like it Bob!

Bob Oister
    Re: "On Fire" (Rock) 2016/07/18 18:02:47 (permalink)
    mgh:

Hi, Mark,

How's my metal brother from across the pond?  Hope you're doing great!

Major thanks for again taking time to check this out for me and for providing always thoughtful and excellent feedback, input and ideas!

I'm hoping to remix this later this week to touch things up a bit, and I'll try to track down the little timing issues that you and Robert detected.

It's really good to see you back around the forum again lately, and I always look forward to and greatly appreciate you lending your good ears to my stuff, as well as your valued friendship and support!

Have a Rockin' week, Mark!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

guitarpima:

Hey, Robert,

Thanks, buddy, I really appreciate you giving this a listen and your good input and encouraging comments!

I'm going to try to smooth out the little spots you and Mark mentioned when I give this a touchup mix later this week.

Thanks again for checking it out and commenting, and I just want to say how fantastic your latest Judas Priest cover is, excellent work by both you and Jim!

Have a good one!
    Bob
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

polarbear:

Hey, David,

Thank you, Sir, I greatly appreciate you taking time to check this out for me, and also your input and very kind words!  Your stuff here on the forum is always top notch quality, and I'm very grateful for your input, observations and comments!

Sincere best wishes, and try to stay cool out there in Vegas with all this scorching hot weather moving across the country this summer!

Have a good one, David,
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1