Clip Group ideas.. Need your input.

Author
LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
2016/07/01 07:02:16 (permalink)

Clip Group ideas.. Need your input.

Hi guys, I do A LOT of tracking and then a lot of editing, most-often with full bands playing live in the studio as basic guides and then we start re-tracking and punching in individuals as needed.

The problem is that I find things go wrong when you start having masses of takes grouped... the only way to create order is to ungroup all of them and create new groups, selecting one clip at a time... Try doing that with 10 or 15 takes of a full band lying on top of each other in Take Lanes, with punch-ins etc.. It's a nightmare.

My go-to setup is to assign tracks to instrument folders and set grouping to group tracks in folders... which kinda works, until it doesn't, or gets confusing later, or you edit a bunch of stuff here but it affects stuff you forgot was still linked... you know what I mean, I hope :O)

I would love to make some constructive suggestions to the Bakers as to how to improve all that, and I have a few ideas however unrefined. I'd like you guys to throw ideas at this and let's see if we can't create a better system.

Here's a few ideas of mine for Grouping Options/Rules. These apply to multiple tracks mostly:

1) Group by Clip Name
You could for instance easily group all clips together that are named Record 17 etc.

2) Release All Clips with ____* in the name from Group

3) Group All Clips Between Point A and B per Take Lane
In other words, for example all drum tracks sitting in Take Lane X between points A and B, across the entire Drum Folder or across the entire project.

4) Group all ACTIVE(Unmuted) clips between A and B

5) Release all Muted clips from group.

Let me know your thoughts!

Ludwig

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

1 Reply Related Threads

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Clip Group ideas.. Need your input. 2016/07/02 11:23:17 (permalink)
    Sorry I have no concrete suggestions for you. Noel and Co. seem to be on their own mission right now to revise the entire process of clip management. There's talk of "ripple editing" to improve clip management and he's even mentioned that they are working on an arranger system similar (I guess) to Studio 1.

There are many promises in the air but I don't see the forums as the source for most of the planned changes. Wish I had something to contribute.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1