New Song - Waking Dream

Author
Glennbo
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1840
2005/01/16 18:14:43 (permalink)

New Song - Waking Dream

This is a new song that features Joey Who??? on guitar. After I recorded my two rhythm guitars and bass parts, I thought it might be novel to throw a temporary track of my new acoustic drums on it. (normally I'd use my digital drums for recording) So I took my one vocal mic, stuck it out in the middle of the room, and recorded the drums that are on this song. I only did one take because I was playing them rather loudly, and I didn't want to piss off the whole neighborhood. Even though the drums aren't as balanced as I'd normally have them (what can you expect from one mic?), I decided to leave them in for kicks.

This song is titled "Waking Dream" and can be found at:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/glennbomusic.htm

13 Replies Related Threads

Dazed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/16 18:33:21 (permalink)
    Sounds like it was a fun song to do. It has a ZZ Top feel to it. Nice guitar solos :)
    JCinNJ
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/16 18:34:11 (permalink)
    Glenbo!

Again you continue to rock. For one mic, on the drums they don't sound bad at all. The toms don't really punch through but I would expect that on a single mic situation. I thimk I pick up a couple of weird sounds at times from the guitar and can't tell if it is coming from the guitar or not. There is a song call Birth School Work Death by The Godfathers that this song reminds me of.

Cheers!

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Glennbo
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/16 18:40:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dazed

Sounds like it was a fun song to do. It has a ZZ Top feel to it. Nice guitar solos :)

It was a lot of fun to record.

Thanks D! :)
    Glennbo
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/16 18:49:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JCinNJ

Glenbo!

Again you continue to rock. For one mic, on the drums they don't sound bad at all. The toms don't really punch through but I would expect that on a single mic situation.

My vocal mic is on a fixed double boom that's pretty long, but not long enough to get over the drums, which are on the other side of the room. If I had thought there was a chance I would keep the track, I'd have figured out a way to get the mic over the drums instead of three feet in front of them.

I thimk I pick up a couple of weird sounds at times from the guitar and can't tell if it is coming from the guitar or not.

That'e entirely possible. <g>

There is a song call Birth School Work Death by The Godfathers that this song reminds me of.
    Cheers!

Cool!

Thanks Joe! :)
    Glennbo
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/17 09:37:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Glennbo

This is a new song that features Joey Who??? on guitar. After I recorded my two rhythm guitars and bass parts, I thought it might be novel to throw a temporary track of my new acoustic drums on it. (normally I'd use my digital drums for recording) So I took my one vocal mic, stuck it out in the middle of the room, and recorded the drums that are on this song. I only did one take because I was playing them rather loudly, and I didn't want to piss off the whole neighborhood. Even though the drums aren't as balanced as I'd normally have them (what can you expect from one mic?), I decided to leave them in for kicks.

This song is titled "Waking Dream" and can be found at:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/glennbomusic.htm

So last night I threw a track of digital drums on it, which are in the mix a bunch better than the original "acoustic drums" version. I left the first version up as well. ;)
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/17 10:06:37 (permalink)
    listening to the acoustic version. of course i'm amazed with the one mic drum thing, wow.

it has a great vintage feel to it, but the lead guitar is a bit shrill. maybe more of the 2-4khz that chaz mentioned somewhere else (i wouldn't have known what freq that was except for him, so i give credit where it is due).

- jack the ex-cynic
    Glennbo
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/17 10:20:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

listening to the acoustic version. of course i'm amazed with the one mic drum thing, wow.

It's not bad, but it does have a lot of room ambience in it.

it has a great vintage feel to it, but the lead guitar is a bit shrill. maybe more of the 2-4khz that chaz mentioned somewhere else (i wouldn't have known what freq that was except for him, so i give credit where it is due).

Thanks Jack. :)

I've put up a second version where I went ahead and recorded my normal digital drums.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/17 12:49:33 (permalink)

I've put up a second version where I went ahead and recorded my normal digital drums.

this one sounds cleaner (naturally), and still has that vintage feel, which is good. how good are digital drums at capturing the feel of acoustic drums?

- jack the ex-cynic
    Glennbo
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/17 13:00:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

this one sounds cleaner (naturally), and still has that vintage feel, which is good. how good are digital drums at capturing the feel of acoustic drums?

The drums that appear on the "Digital Drums" version were played in as a one shot "live recording" from the kit on the right.

For that version, I was recording MIDI data only, that feeds my drum sounds in vsampler. There are some differences in the way each kit plays, but for the most part, if you can play one, then you can play the other one too, so the feel is quite similar.
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/17 13:58:23 (permalink)
    Glennbo,

I really liked this one. The guitar tones were really nice. Unfortunately I am listening on headphons so I may be off but it seemed the song could do with a little more kick in the bass. Maybe just these cheesy headphones I have on. In any case I'd say that for me at least this was one of your better songs. How did you do the bass, MIDI or did you play it?

Also what is that accoustic material you are using on the walls, Auralex? Do you recommend it, it seems pricey.

Edit: I think the song could easily do with another verse at the end and perhaps a shorter solo if you were to do that. I was just in the groove of it when it faded.
    < Message edited by kiwisdontdrinktea -- 1/17/2005 2:07:47 PM >

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
    Glennbo
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/17 14:33:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kiwisdontdrinktea

Glennbo,

I really liked this one. The guitar tones were really nice. Unfortunately I am listening on headphons so I may be off but it seemed the song could do with a little more kick in the bass. Maybe just these cheesy headphones I have on. In any case I'd say that for me at least this was one of your better songs. How did you do the bass, MIDI or did you play it?

Thanks Bazza! :)

I'm playing my 5-string OLP bass on this one. It's plugged into a Digitech BP200 bass amp modeling preamp that's plugged into my mixer. I'm also playing two rhythm guitar backing tracks, and my buddy Joey Larsen is doing the solo guitar parts.

Also what is that accoustic material you are using on the walls, Auralex? Do you recommend it, it seems pricey.

The stuff on my walls is Sonex foam, which is very expensive stuff. It's got a pattern of horizontal and vertical bars that really break up waves by polarizing them. I lucked out and traded a Kenwood FM tuner for eight 2' x 4' sheets, which at today's prices is about $250 worth. http://www.illbruck-sonex.com/

Edit: I think the song could easily do with another verse at the end and perhaps a shorter solo if you were to do that. I was just in the groove of it when it faded.

Hehe, all my songs are too short. That's kind of my trademark. <g>
    esummers@juno.com
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/18 04:19:33 (permalink)
    Good overall work.

-Ed
    Glennbo
    RE: New Song - Waking Dream 2005/01/18 17:31:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: esummers@juno.com

Good overall work.

-Ed

Thanks Ed! :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1