Helpful ReplyHow to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog

Author
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
2016/07/08 15:26:11 (permalink)

How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog

Hi all,

I am using some spoken audio in a project and I want to bring up the quieter parts of the dialog. I didn't record these and can't recreate them, so I have to do the best I can to make them intelligible in the song. I have been playing with Waves MaxxVolume, but I wonder if there is a better way...

Also, using MaxxVolume brings up the noise floor and I need to address that. I'm thinking maybe a pass with a noise suppressor before using a volume tool?
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/07/08 16:10:34 (permalink)
not to be obtuse,
but couldn't you simply ride the fader volume with automation, and just mix it higher?

maybe that, and a combination of a limiter used as an upwards compander?

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

smallstonefan
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/07/08 16:34:37 (permalink)
Absolutely - I could do some volume automation. I guess I was looking for a quicker fix, but that is the fallback plan! :)
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/07/08 16:40:02 (permalink)
When voice overs are recorded elsewhere and they vary a bit in their levels and dynamics what I usually do is make a copy of the voice over and open it in a separate editing program.  eg Adobe Audition.  Then I put a VU over the voice over and watch what the meter is doing on the louder passages or the most normal sections.

I adjust the gain of the overall track so the VU reads 0 dB VU in the normal sections.  Then I go in and edit softer areas.  By adding gain here and there as needed.  You do have to be slightly careful because bringing a soft section right up to the same level as a normal section can sound unnatural and you want to avoid that if you can.  Level variations are there for a reason as they add to the overall effect.  So a really soft phrase might only hit -10 dB VU compared to the 0 dB VU for other parts.  I might add enough gain to make this maybe reach -4 to -5 dB instead.  Noise can come up I agree.  But that depends on what is happening also at the time in your final mix.  Any increase in noise may be masked if you are lucky.

I prefer to get a vocal track ie either sung or read pretty right first in the editor before dragging that edited version out into your session.  The reason is once you have done this you basically don't need any automation and especially putting processes over the vocal track eg such as expanders etc.  These will most like just ruin stuff and make it worse.

All that is often required when you edit properly is some EQ to add some tone and some very light compression performing only light conditioning to the overall sound.  I get the best result doing it this way.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
smallstonefan
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/07/08 16:46:42 (permalink)
Thanks Jeff!

I'm actually using some recorded audio from an interview with Steven Hawkings, so no chance of him redoing it for me! ;)

I think the manual technique is the best way to go. I'm not using a huge amount of it, so it will be worth the effort to do it right and not lean on quick-fixes that don't quite work.
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/07/28 11:30:40 (permalink)
For parts that are too loud or quiet on a track I like to do gain adjustments as needed from the menu option when possible.  It's time consuming and tedious but very precise and "clean" in my view.  I also use it for transients on recorded instruments that are off the chart so that compressor doesn't get crushed for that short time.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
smallstonefan
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/07/28 11:48:52 (permalink)
Thanks! :)
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/07/30 01:57:08 (permalink)
smallstonefan
Absolutely - I could do some volume automation. I guess I was looking for a quicker fix, but that is the fallback plan! :)

Waves Vocal Rider

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/08/26 23:13:35 (permalink)
My workflow for this sort of thing is as follows.

1. Compression. Use a good compressor to automatically roll off the louder bits thus allowing you to set the basic level higher which makes the quieter parts not so quiet while keeping the loud bits from getting out of hand.
2. Brick wall limiting. If compression isn't enough to get it done, I add a limiter. This prevents the loudest bits from being any louder than most of the much quieter bits. Used with compression, you can effectively control the volume of most source material while still achieving a relatively natural sounding result.
3. If compression and limiting don't get it done, I bring up the rear with fader automation for the worst bits. Sometimes the fader I automate is the volume fader. Sometimes its one or more eq bands. Whatever it takes to get it done in a natural sounding way.
Jeff Evans
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/08/27 00:27:10 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
My workflow for this sort of thing is as follows.

1. Compression. Use a good compressor to automatically roll off the louder bits thus allowing you to set the basic level higher which makes the quieter parts not so quiet while keeping the loud bits from getting out of hand.
2. Brick wall limiting. If compression isn't enough to get it done, I add a limiter. This prevents the loudest bits from being any louder than most of the much quieter bits. Used with compression, you can effectively control the volume of most source material while still achieving a relatively natural sounding result.
3. If compression and limiting don't get it done, I bring up the rear with fader automation for the worst bits. Sometimes the fader I automate is the volume fader. Sometimes its one or more eq bands. Whatever it takes to get it done in a natural sounding way.

If you do the editing approach as I suggested in my post you don't need any of this.  It will sound better and not use a single plug-in.  No automation needed most often.  Hitting a compressor with varying levels from soft to loud is not getting the best out of the compressor.  It is working over a higher range.  When you do light conditioning over a well edited track like this the compressor has an easy time of it and sounds good in the process.  In voice over work it is not even a bad thing to bring quieter parts up to close to the ref level.  So it does not get lost.  When a shift in level is wrong though it sounds unnatural and quite easy to detect.  You just back off the gain changes a little and it will end up perfect.

If a voice over is happening over music and effects it needs everything it can get for a nice even and clearly audible level.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/08/27 03:34:38

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/08/27 12:49:47 (permalink)
Meh, to each his own. My standard workflow is as I've described it and its my standard because it works for me and gets me results that sound exactly as I want them to as quickly as easily as possible. I didn't say it was the only method, I said it was my method. Trying to argue that one will sound better than the other is like trying to argue that tacos taste better than pizza IMO.
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/09/04 13:49:35 (permalink)
Waves vocal Rider.

For perfection I automate, but when there is a huge time crunch, there's not much better than vocal rider.

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
stevesweat
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 360
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/09/05 08:13:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2016/09/24 20:49:54
Hmmm, Taco pizza sounds good!

Steve
Sweaty Productions
http://www.youarentweird.com/
https://soundcloud.com/user-978097986-982906152
https://sweatyproductions.bandcamp.com/
Windows 10 x64
SONAR Platinum x64
AMD FX6300 3.5gig 6core
HYPERx FURY 16gigRam
PNY GeForce GT730
WD Caviar 1TB 7200rpm
Gigabyte ATX AM3+ AMD 970 chipset
Roland Studio Capture
Jeff Evans
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/09/05 10:08:26 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
Meh, to each his own. My standard workflow is as I've described it and its my standard because it works for me and gets me results that sound exactly as I want them to as quickly as easily as possible. I didn't say it was the only method, I said it was my method. Trying to argue that one will sound better than the other is like trying to argue that tacos taste better than pizza IMO.

There is no argument here.  One sounds better than the other.  Period.  FACT!

Read this too:

http://therecordingrevolu...ompression-for-vocals/

The editing approach sounds the same as the approach used in this article. Getting the compressor to do it alone is not the way to go.

Vocal Rider while fast will never be anywhere as accurate as manually doing it.  If you are serious about vocals you just don't do it fast either.  It is about the same as sending a pre mastered track to one of those mastering services on line that does it automatically compared to a skilled mastering engineer making all the right decisions based on the material at hand.  No comparison.

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/09/05 11:33:35 (permalink)
Seems you don't really understand what the word subjective means. Or maybe its that you don't understand what the word fact means.  

Either way I can see where this is going so tell ya what, I'll make it easy. You win. Your way is not just the better way. Its the only way and anyone who doesn't use your method exactly as you've described it is an idiot and a moron who has no business making audio recordings for any purpose. Happy now?
Jeff Evans
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/09/05 14:27:06 (permalink)
I started out using a compressor myself. (like many) And then got into the concept of using two compressors in series. The first one being set for limiting and just jumping on the louder bits followed by a compressor with a much lower ratio for overall conditioning. This is not bad by the way and sort of works OK.

I don't know what got me into editing vocals in a more precise way either except that I am keen on VU rms levels being constant on tracks before a mix for most instruments. So I started checking individual tracks for rms levels and making them more consistent.

Then that followed onto doing something similar for vocals but now getting in and being more precise and detailed about it.  Immediately I noticed how much nicer the vocals started to sound.  How much less the compressor has to do over the final track.

It's like anything I guess, the more time you put into something the better it starts to sound.

I don't doubt that something like vocal rider will work too.  But it is still making decisions based on technical considerations such as what peak and rms levels may be at any point.  Like anything it is going to make certain assumptions (and adjustments) that may in the end not be accurate.  Like automatic mastering for example.  Whereas when you get in there and edit to great precision and use your ears instead the result will always be better.

Of course this also applies to lower level singing vocals as well as lower level spoken dialogue which is the topic of this thread. There is also another thread about lower level vocals but it is essentially the same thing as we are talking here.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/09/06 08:46:43

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/09/08 22:50:20 (permalink)
I have done many of these type of projects. Wave Lab is my editor and it makes microscopic editing pretty easy. You can't come even close in Sonar to what a good wave editor does for this type of work.   I've been given horrendous recordings done on Radio Shack cassette recorders of everything from church services to public forums. I've even been given old old reel to reels of granny telling stories. People are willing to pay for these to be put on CD. It's always been a big part of my recording income. 
I too tried the easy ways with plug ins and it never result in the same quality you can achieve with hands on manual editing. 
You need to use both your eyes and your ears to make smooth transitions from sentence to sentence and sometimes word to word. It takes time but like with all software, you get real good at this and it's faster each time. 

If there's a nasty noise floor you can try a plug in, but what I do is only bring up the gain of the words, not the silence so you don't really hear it as bad. A bit of overall EQ to the track usually cleans things up. 
A trick I use is take a silent section with the noise and look at it in a spectrograph.  Loop it and play with the EQ to kill offending frequencies. 

Anyhow this is a learned skill and you can get great results if you roll your sleeves up and dig in with a good Wave editor. There's just no way a plug in is going to replace what a good technician can achieve manually. 
post edited by Cactus Music - 2016/09/08 23:13:27

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/09/09 10:58:29 (permalink)
There are no right or wrong ways.
If you want something that sounds effected, then use effects (compress/limit).
If you want more natural use envelopes.
Then of course, my favorite, a little of each.

I use to do a lot of editing voice over work. At the time, late 90's early 00's, I smashed the bageeses out of it cause that's the way I heard it in my head (and on radio). And that's after careful detailed envelope editing:) Nowadays, I'd be a lot lighter. Same with vocals. Different styles/songs dictate different approaches. 

In general though, I tend to be surgical on most any part.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

papercut
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/09/14 10:45:12 (permalink)
All of the above is educational, even with the disagreement. Perhaps because of the disagreement.

Thanks, all!
thedukewestern
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: How to bring up quieter parts of spoken dialog 2016/09/16 12:55:15 (permalink)
You can try the gate - comp - comp approach.

You can do it with the sonitus stuff - 

Insert the sonitus gate.  Then you can set the frequency band to only be triggered by the high end of the voice.. so whenever he sheaps the gate opens.  Set it to look ahead 20 ms, with a long decay time..  so it sounds intentional.  This will help pull the noise floor down.

Now compress it with something like this    http://forum.cakewalk.com...074655-p3.aspx#3324433

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1