Helpful ReplyWhat do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/10 19:36:12 (permalink)
batsbrew
the mouse and keyboard is still the best surface for me.

since i work on computers for my day job, i'm very adept at it,
it's so simple and straightfoward

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried using a DAW with a decent control surface?

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/10 22:25:37 (permalink)
of course,
or i wouldn't have had an opinion!

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

thornton
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/10 22:28:34 (permalink)
Vstudio 100
ptheisen
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/11 00:25:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/15 12:55:25
azslow3

My all time favorite is the Frontier Alphatrack, unfortunately I don't know how to get it to work with SPLAT.

I have heard original plug-in also works.
Alternative: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,172.0.html

Yes, the original plug-in will work, but it trips over the pro channel because that didn't exist when Frontier stopped developing it. Azslow's plug-in does a perfect job of making Alphatrack handle the pro channel EQ too (no other PC modules, though), so if your hardware is still working, download Azslow's version and enjoy! I'm running mine in SPlat and CbB on W10 with no problems.
HeatherHaze
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/11 19:47:00 (permalink)
The VS-700C was tailor-made for Sonar, and still works great with Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I don't think any other hardware control surface comes close.  There's a driver hack necessary to make it work with Windows 10, but it's not a big deal (much easier than I expected).  I disconnected mine for a while and really missed it.  I'm happy to have it back on my desk.

BUT...

Another great option is to get a good touchscreen.  Cakewalk natively supports mutli-touch control in Windows 8.1 and 10.  I have my workspace set up so that all the transport controls are at the bottom of the touch screen (easy access) and the Console strip is right there at my fingertips.  If you have multiple displays, you can put the project window on another monitor and have the console rule the touchscreen.  It's a great setup.  I now use that in conjunction with the VS-700 and it's a dream to work with.  One of the neatest things about using a touch screen is that you can control almost any plug-in just by tweaking the knobs right on the screen.  No need to fumble around with a controller trying to figure out what knob does what.  Just reach up and turn it.  Pretty cool.

My touchscreen is the Slate Raven MTi2, but I suspect any good quality multi-touch capable monitor would work.  It's an option worth considering.  No other DAW I've tried works so well with a touch screen.  A big part of the Slate Raven MTi2 is its software control for various DAWs, but I've found I don't need it for Sonar.  Not at all.  It works really well right out of the box.  

If you really want the touchy-feely aspect of a real hardware controller, though, nothing beats the VS-700 for Sonar/Cakewalk.  

)-|-( HeatherHaze
http://heatherhaze.com/

"This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before." ~ Leonard Bernstein

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Studio One 3.5, Cubase 9.5
Intel Core i7  8700, 32Gb RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
V-Studio VS-700
Slate Raven MTi2
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
...and a whole bunch of other stuff.
tobiaslindahl
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/12 10:09:35 (permalink)
HeatherHaze
The VS-700C was tailor-made for Sonar, and still works great with Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I don't think any other hardware control surface comes close.  There's a driver hack necessary to make it work with Windows 10, but it's not a big deal (much easier than I expected).  I disconnected mine for a while and really missed it.  I'm happy to have it back on my desk.

BUT...

Another great option is to get a good touchscreen.  Cakewalk natively supports mutli-touch control in Windows 8.1 and 10.  I have my workspace set up so that all the transport controls are at the bottom of the touch screen (easy access) and the Console strip is right there at my fingertips.  If you have multiple displays, you can put the project window on another monitor and have the console rule the touchscreen.  It's a great setup.  I now use that in conjunction with the VS-700 and it's a dream to work with.  One of the neatest things about using a touch screen is that you can control almost any plug-in just by tweaking the knobs right on the screen.  No need to fumble around with a controller trying to figure out what knob does what.  Just reach up and turn it.  Pretty cool.

My touchscreen is the Slate Raven MTi2, but I suspect any good quality multi-touch capable monitor would work.  It's an option worth considering.  No other DAW I've tried works so well with a touch screen.  A big part of the Slate Raven MTi2 is its software control for various DAWs, but I've found I don't need it for Sonar.  Not at all.  It works really well right out of the box.  

If you really want the touchy-feely aspect of a real hardware controller, though, nothing beats the VS-700 for Sonar/Cakewalk.  

Interesting you feel the touch version works so well. I read about them but always assumed it would feel weird working with touch for some reason. Might do a simple test with a small existing tablet as a test for some feature. 

For my personal workflow I tend to spend 90% or more of the time playing and recording and not so much editing etc so I want to sit infornt of the screens and have the piano infront of me managing controls without having to turn around or stretch across the keyboard etc. The VS-700 and the Raven you use looks really nice, but just don't fit my space. 
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/12 23:12:18 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin

I was considering the Behringer unit. But I thought those flat displays would be too hard to see from a sitting position so I went with a used Mackie Control Pro and extender. Absolutely no regrets with my choice.

Great Choice JohanSebatianGremlin, 

Welcome to the Mackie Control Family

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
poetnprophet
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/12 23:41:39 (permalink)
HeatherHaze

BUT...

Hi Heather, thanks for your info on the Slate Raven.  It's on my wishlist for some time... I also have the VS700 system.  I looked into the MTi but Slate doesn't explicitly mention support for Sonar....does it all integrate like they advertise for other DAWs?  Any drawbacks?  Since this whole Sonar fiasco started, I've been looking for another DAW, but when you factor the console plus rack system needs, the VS700 system is such a great value its hard to switch, and therefore hard to switch DAWs.  Long live CW!

Also, curious if you would be able to share your setup with both the MTi and the VS700C?  That sounds like a great setup, seems like the best of both all 3 worlds:  touchscreen, rack system, daw.

Dave
HeatherHaze
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/13 08:10:30 (permalink)
tobiaslindahl
Interesting you feel the touch version works so well. I read about them but always assumed it would feel weird working with touch for some reason.

Using the touch screen takes a little getting used to.  But after a while, you find yourself just naturally reaching up and doing stuff.  It’s pretty neat.  Having some hardware is still very helpful, though.  I could see using a touch screen along with one of those little Presonus single-channel faderports.  If you want a jog/shuttle (one thing missing from any touch screen) you can get a Contour Shuttle Express for about $50.  There are ways to fill in the gaps and get exactly the control you need for not much money.

)-|-( HeatherHaze

"This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before." ~ Leonard Bernstein

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
V-Studio VS-700
Slate Raven MTi2
HeatherHaze
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/13 08:27:27 (permalink)
poetnprophet
Hi Heather, thanks for your info on the Slate Raven.  It's on my wishlist for some time... I also have the VS700 system.  I looked into the MTi but Slate doesn't explicitly mention support for Sonar....does it all integrate like they advertise for other DAWs?  Any drawbacks?  Since this whole Sonar fiasco started, I've been looking for another DAW, but when you factor the console plus rack system needs, the VS700 system is such a great value its hard to switch, and therefore hard to switch DAWs.  Long live CW!

Also, curious if you would be able to share your setup with both the MTi and the VS700C?  That sounds like a great setup, seems like the best of both all 3 worlds:  touchscreen, rack system, daw.

Hey Dave,

The Slate Raven has absolutely no integrated support for Sonar.  But the beautiful thing is, it doesn’t need it.  Honestly, Sonar (now CbB) works great with touchscreen.  The Slate Raven is basically a very high quality touchscreen with some very clever software.  That software is necessary for most daws I’ve tried, including Cubase and Studio One, because they don’t natively support multi-touch.  Sonar does!  You just need to set up your workspace to take advantage of the touchscreen, like dragging the control bar and transport to the bottom of the screen and setting up the console view.  I was blown away by how well Sonar works with touch compared to other DAWs.  That’s why I think probably any quality touch screen would work.  Don’t get me wrong, I love the Raven, and it’s definitely a cut above.  But if you’re on a budget, you might consider trying something a bit cheaper.  You can always take it back if it doesn’t work for you.  :)

My studio setup is pretty sweet now.  It took forever to get it that way, as I had a streak of technical problems that led me down the rabbit hole.  But now that I’m all upgraded, I’m in music heaven.  On my (big) desk I’ve got a couple stacks of Roland D-90a digital monitors, framing an array of three video monitors.  The Raven sits in front of and below those.  It has a really ingenious stand that lets you raise or lower it super easily, so it’s always in the perfect spot.  To the left of my Raven is my VS-700C console.  To my right I’ve got an old Roland VM-3100 Pro for submixing all my audio sources.  To the left of my desk sits my rack with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, VS-700R (not being used), MIDISport 8x8/s MIDI bay, headphone amp, etc.  Across the room (behind me) I’ve got a couple racks of keyboards and a submixer.  Then there’s the wall of guitars, all my woodwinds and brass, drums and percussion, and a bunch of other toys.  It’s definitely my Happy Place.  :)

)-|-( HeatherHaze

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
V-Studio VS-700
Slate Raven MTi2
poetnprophet
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/13 19:07:12 (permalink)
Wow, that does sound like an amazing space.  Nothing like being "home"...

Ok, that is a little bit of a bummer there isn't the same support as they show for other DAWs, as there was custom mapping, views/layouts etc.  However, multi touch support does sound promising so I may see what I can get into.  Interesting about the desk adjustment, I never heard about that.  I'm 6'7" and adjustment is always necessary, haha.
thank you, Heather.

Dave 
LLyons
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 574
Re: What do you all feel is the best control surface for Sonar Platinum? 2018/04/18 21:04:40 (permalink)
I have an opinion. For Sonar, or Cakewalk now - I like using a touch screen.  The bakers did a pretty good job at making touch work. I use a PLANAR - marvelous unit.  I would buy it all over again.  Haven't had to ever worry about drivers - ever.  I'm kind of a clean freak, so I keep a bottle of windex handy..   :o)

I also have a presonus solution - RM32ai units, CS18ai unit, and Studio One 3.   Once I assembled that together - I became a firm believer in touch screen, tactile hardware like the CS, iPADs to control setup, personal monitoring, remote record\playback and configuration...  

No - the CS18 does not work with Sonar, and I didn't buy it to. BUT - A solid controller is a good investment, I won't give up mine... you might want to think through touch though...

Take care,

LL

L Lyons 
DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
Home Built Machine
32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Win 10 Pro
Intel i7-6700K
Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
Limited connection to internet
DAW use ONLY
WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
MOTU AVB Switch
Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800