Music Creator: Built-In, Not Add-On, GM/GM2 Compatible Virtual Sound Module

Author
jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
2016/07/17 12:13:33 (permalink)
2 (1)

Music Creator: Built-In, Not Add-On, GM/GM2 Compatible Virtual Sound Module

I would like for Cakewalk to include a virtual sound module as a built-in feature to Music Creator.  

Music Creator is Cakewalk's daw product marketed to entry level consumers.  As such I believe it's primary purpose is to make it AS EASY AS POSSIBLE for people that have the desire to learn music production but have no background knowledge of music production or live sound to begin making music.  Focusing on that goal has caused some very creative features to be invented such as the one knob effect introduced in Music Creator 7 to help beginners gain instant good results from using effects and the loop matrix screen introduced in an earlier version that allows beginners to get good results with audio loops.

Having a built-in virtual sound module provides Music Creator with beginner friendly features the program does not have:  standardisation and ease of use.  Present new users must first install and then chose between Sound Center or TTS-1.  Before TTS-1 there was VSC.  The installation process trips up many beginners as they do not understand the need for a sound module or soft synth when playing a midi file.  
Some people may say new users should know that midi is data and soft synths or hardware make sounds.  Why is that so? 
They can AUTOMATICALLY play a midi file on their cell phone, tablet or in their computer's browser but they install a music program and there is no sound?!  Frustration a beginner doesn't expect or need.  Building in a sound module ensures consistent instrument sound are available as the beginner learns more about midi.  Once the beginner has an understanding of midi, they may choose to change to a soft synth to obtain a different sound but it will be a choice they make, not something that is forced on them.
post edited by jimfogle - 2016/07/19 15:10:02

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

6 Replies Related Threads

jimfogle
    Re: Music Creator: Built-In, Not Add-On, GM/GM2 Compatible Virtual Sound Module 2016/07/21 12:32:45 (permalink)
    (Sigh)  No one agrees or disagrees? Nobody thinks having a built-in midi sound module will reduce the frustration newbies experience or help them to become familiar with music production faster?  Or do forum members not care about Music Creator and the potential new hobbyists the program might introduce to Cakewalk and the forum?
    post edited by jimfogle - 2016/07/21 12:54:28

Jim F
    Music Creator 6

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Music Creator: Built-In, Not Add-On, GM/GM2 Compatible Virtual Sound Module 2016/07/22 10:20:38 (permalink)
    I could see having a built-in synth toy or module for MC, although the functions you wish to skip are pretty basic. Maybe just add a piano sound and if they want another instrument they need to install a more difficult synth. 

post edited by AT - 2016/07/22 10:53:12

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    jimfogle
    Re: Music Creator: Built-In, Not Add-On, GM/GM2 Compatible Virtual Sound Module 2016/07/22 14:00:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply AT (by the way, like your signature),
    I understand my notion is basic but, many newbies don't know the basics, they've never been exposed to the basics and bought Music Creator to learn "the basics".

My thought is most people buy Music Creator with the understanding it is an entry level product.  When the box version of Music Creator was available I always purchased the box version.  The advertisement on each box essentially said the same thing, "load the program and begin making music!"  But, that's not true if you load a midi file to play while you record your singing or instrument playing.

It seems to me that Music Creator should be able to automatically load TTS-1 as a default midi sound module.  There could be a checkbox setting in midi preferences to loose the association if someone wanted to return to current method of operation. 

Jim F
    Music Creator 6

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Music Creator: Built-In, Not Add-On, GM/GM2 Compatible Virtual Sound Module 2016/07/22 14:34:40 (permalink)
    SONAR loads TTS-1 when opening a standard MIDI file, so I'm surprised MC does not...     Starting from scratch (vs. a MIDI file) is a different story, though creating a delivered project template that includes TTS-1 probably wouldn't be difficult either.   Assuming there's isn't one, of course.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Music Creator: Built-In, Not Add-On, GM/GM2 Compatible Virtual Sound Module 2016/07/22 15:01:17 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Just like SONAR, MC7 does automatically map MIDI files to TTS-1 as long as no MIDI output device is enabled. I believe MC7 like SONAR still enables the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth by default so the automatic MIDI mapping is disabled.

This was introduced with X3. I do not believe MC6 Touch and earlier have the feature.

That said, an updated GM/GM2 synth plug-in would be nice.
    jimfogle
    Re: Music Creator: Built-In, Not Add-On, GM/GM2 Compatible Virtual Sound Module 2016/08/07 11:54:03 (permalink)
    Bump.

Jim F
    Music Creator 6

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1