Roland Quad Capture vs Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 sec gen?

Author
metz
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
2016/07/18 12:02:23 (permalink)

Roland Quad Capture vs Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 sec gen?

Hey!

I have a Quad capture USB soundcard. Its an ok soundcard but I have some issues with it. It randomly stops working for example.  Its not a card I would use in front of a huge audience :-D I'm looking at the new Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 second gen card. Anyone had the pleasure of trying both? Would the Focusrite be a step up or are they similar in comparasion?

Pardon the poor english..

/M

8 Replies Related Threads

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Roland Quad Capture vs Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 sec gen? 2016/07/23 19:37:51 (permalink)
    I've used both interfaces and they are similar. I could not choose one as being better than the other.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    filtersweep
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re: Roland Quad Capture vs Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 sec gen? 2016/07/24 08:41:50 (permalink)
    I have an octacapture and scarlett 2i2, so not exactly the comparison you are looking for, but similar. I find both are quite reliable. The Roland offers more flexibility at the expense of being easier to mess things up and get lost in menus and fussiness. The Scarlett otoh is very simple and straightforward, easier to set up quickly and get busy. Sound quality wise I can't detect any differences, though I seldom use mics and there could be differences in preamps that I dont much appreciate. 
    Soundwise
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1419
    Re: Roland Quad Capture vs Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 sec gen? 2016/07/24 09:07:46 (permalink)
    As for Focusrite Scarlett 2nd gen, I would advise to think twice before getting one. Take a look at the back panel.
    1st gen

2nd Gen

The 2nd generation up to the flagship 18i20 model looks flimsy. You can easily break any of the outputs or an entire PCB by accidentally moving the box or straining cables.

Anderton
    We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
    YouTube
    BandLab
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Roland Quad Capture vs Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 sec gen? 2016/07/24 12:14:26 (permalink)
    Soundwise
    ... The 2nd generation up to the flagship 18i20 model looks flimsy. You can easily break any of the outputs or an entire PCB by accidentally moving the box or straining cables.

I was a week or so away from buying one of these 2nd gens, so thanks for pointing this out. 

Are you referring to the nuts holding the I/O ports in place (missing on the 2nd gen 6i6 and 18i8)?  Or is it something else?

The 2nd gen 18i20 does indeed have the nuts securing the outputs (the inputs are neutrik), so I'm not sure what you're referring to there...

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Roland Quad Capture vs Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 sec gen? 2016/07/25 08:38:35 (permalink)
    I have not used the 2nd Gen, but the promises made by focusrite addressed the problems I had with the first Gen model.  I was so dissatisfied with the first gen, I took it back to GC within a week of having it. IMO it wasn't worth the price at all.  I know a lot of people on these forums like them, but I did not like it at all.  the gain on the amp was very poorly designed.

I replaced that unit (which is a mobile/backup unit to my MOTU) with a presonus and I liked it OK, but it didn't have it's own power supply which caused problems with my setup.  I sold it and bought a Roland Duo Capture.  IT'S AWESOME!  rock solid drivers, works with ipad.  no problems with amp stage like on the focusrite, it's just a very good low end unit.  can't say enough good about it!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Roland Quad Capture vs Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 sec gen? 2016/07/25 09:33:59 (permalink)
    That's disturbing that they would take a manufacturing short cut like that. My 1st gen is very well built , but I agree with Beagle, the Focusrite pre amps on mine are among the worst I have delt with,, I just don't use them for that reason. 
    They claim they have made imrovments to the pre amps and no wonder because I'm sure they got plenty of complaints about them. My next interface will be a different brand. Tascam, Motu or RME. 
    And I would not recomend a bus powered interface unless it's sole use was mobile and you don't want the wall wart. At least have the option for both plug in and buss power. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Roland Quad Capture vs Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 sec gen? 2016/07/25 09:41:48 (permalink)
    What we be a good third option then. I bought the quad of the focusrite because of spidf and having a lexicon reverb. But It's never been connected. I've had some stability issues with the quad, but nothing drastic. My main complaint is the headphone and monitors sharing the same amp control, so annoying. At the time of buying I wasn't learning guitar, but now having a just one Hi-Z input seems limiting.

The focus rite would have been my alternative too, but if the builds not great, sods law usually bites.

Soundwise
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1419
    Re: Roland Quad Capture vs Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 sec gen? 2016/07/25 17:25:15 (permalink)
    JonD
    The 2nd gen 18i20 does indeed have the nuts securing the outputs (the inputs are neutrik), so I'm not sure what you're referring to there...

That is correct. All other models, except 18i20 are not built to last. The Focusrite probably develops new interfaces for USB3, so that might explain why they have released this 2nd gen.

Anderton
    We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
    YouTube
    BandLab
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1