Revision

Author
Mdemers
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 166
2005/01/17 21:20:56 (permalink)

Revision

Thanks for all the help and input. This is the final revision of our song.
http://www.soundclick.com/bluereason

7 Replies Related Threads

Mdemers
    RE: Revision 2005/01/18 11:50:50 (permalink)
    WOW! You're all speechless. I never expected that reaction. The question is . . . is that good or bad?
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Revision 2005/01/18 12:30:58 (permalink)
    it's a better mix .. but i thought you were gonna fix the guitar tuning
    (l-channel)? it really does detract from it. the vox has much more
    immediacy and presence.
    jeff
    rossipsu1
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: Revision 2005/01/18 13:46:00 (permalink)
    Marc...

Your voice so does not need all the wet reverb you were throwing on it. It's got a Johnny Cash thing working for it (kind of). This vocal mix is a much better representation of the direction you wanna go, IMO.

You gotta fix the tuning on the acoustic guitar. The treble E string sounds way off when you hit that last D chord. Also, everything seems panned a bit up the middle. I'd put the hookey guitar and voicings off to one side and let them call and reply a bit. Work the panning a little. I also kind of liked the guitar tone you had on the previous recording for that 'hook' part at the beginning. It seemed kind of talkbox-ey, without the talkbox...if that makes any sense.

I won't go too much into drums cause I know you were working with restrictions on that end. There may be some EQ tricks Chaz could give you to dimensionalize them a bit.

Besides that, it's kind of a catchy tune. I like it...
    m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Revision 2005/01/18 14:22:49 (permalink)
    Marc,

much better mix now.

You still have to get rid of the muddyness at the lower frequencies. Try to cut everything but the bass and the bassdrum at around 130Hz.

It sounds much better now without that big reverb. But that kinda background soloing guitar that starts at 1:05 still has too much reverb. It doesn't match with the rest. IMHO it's also a bit of unmotivated jingling. But that might be my very personal opinion.

Please compress your vocals!

The untuned guitar was mentioned before.

Why do you fade out at the end?

Ok, the song got longer, the song's structure is ok, but unfortunately it didn't get more interesting. That 'double solo part' beginning at 2:10 sounds a bit strange to me.

You're on the right way with mixing and composing. Now you need that little bit, that little kick to make this a very good tune. Keep on working on it. I'm waiting for revision 2.

Greets
    Melf (honest as ever)
    Mdemers
    RE: Revision 2005/01/18 14:52:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: m11

You're on the right way with mixing and composing. Now you need that little bit, that little kick to make this a very good tune. Keep on working on it. I'm waiting for revision 2.

Greets
    Melf (honest as ever)

Might be a while for revision 2. We're kinda sick of this one for a while.

As for the tuning, I'm at a loss. I tuned it immediately prior, they're relatively new strings, I don't hear it and my drummer didn't hear it. But it's definitely interesting that everyone else hears it so pronounced. I'm gonna get another battery for my hearing aid and try again j/k.

ORIGINAL: rossipsu1

I also kind of liked the guitar tone you had on the previous recording for that 'hook' part at the beginning. It seemed kind of talkbox-ey, without the talkbox...if that makes any sense.

Actually I think I liked it better too, but quite a few people suggested changing it and adding distortion, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I greatly appreciate all the feedback and help. I've got a ways to go, but this forum has been awesome in getting this far. I should put up some of the stuff I recorded a year ago . . . (on second thought).

Also - I'm not sure if I said this already, but the direct link to this song doesn't sound as well as if you go to my music page and click on the song. I'm not sure why - but it does sound different.

Or at least for today, you could click here and scroll down to #9. (I couldn't resist)
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Revision 2005/01/18 17:30:11 (permalink)
    I tuned it immediately prior, they're relatively new strings, I don't hear it and my drummer didn't hear it. But it's definitely interesting that everyone else hears it so pronounced.

new strings can slip quick .. probably that. hmm ... other ideas would be
    not pressing the string firmly enough or neck misalignment? but it is there...
    jeff
    Mdemers
    RE: Revision 2005/01/18 18:41:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jmarkham

new strings can slip quick .. probably that. hmm ... other ideas would be
    not pressing the string firmly enough or neck misalignment? but it is there...
    jeff

I appreciate all the feedback, honestly. This tuning thing is driving me up a tree. I checked my guitar again, and according to my tuner - it's dead on. It's a Martin acoustic that I bought brand new five or six months ago, so part of me wants to believe the neck is okay. Of course the player is always in question.

Add to that this partial conversation in the techniques forum:
    ORIGINAL: Stich

. . .The guitars & mandolin sound fine!

ORIGINAL: Mdemers

I've had a couple people tell me the guitar's out of tune, and I honestly can't hear it . . .

ORIGINAL: SiriusLiMusic

. . . Guitar sounds fine to me as well.

Mind boggling. I was going to go through it again one track at a time but that pile of sh*t M-Audio screwed up and now I only have the right channel.

At any rate. I truly, truly, appreciate everyone's input. For those of you who say it's out of tune - I'm seriously not questioning that.

I don't want people listening to my music and saying, "Why didn't the idiot tune his guitar first." I'm just trying to figure out exactly what it is you're hearing so I don't repeat it on everything else I record.

Thanks again.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1