Helpful ReplyUsing and Apply Effects (Music Creator 6)

Author
TwoJudahs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2016/07/28 19:14:08 (permalink)

Using and Apply Effects (Music Creator 6)

Hello All,

Can anyone help me with using the Effects feature. I got to Process>Apply Effects, etc. , but it is disabled (greyed out) and I cannot access them.  It is also like this with many other features and I am  unable to enable them.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for the help.

Also, I accidentally bought Music Creator 6 (Touch) but do not have Touch monitor/computer.  Would this affect the use of anything?

2J  
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Using and Apply Effects (Music Creator 6) 2016/07/29 09:30:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimfogle 2016/07/30 10:55:07
In order to use Process>Apply Effect , there has to be an effect in the track's FX bin and the track must be selected.
Many functions in Cakewalk software need to have a track(s) selected to work.
I think that it doesn't matter that you have MC6T. You may have to disable the Touch features. Check the Help files.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Using and Apply Effects (Music Creator 6) 2016/07/29 09:49:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimfogle 2016/07/30 10:54:58
Touch has nothing to with it. When it comes to the touch capabilities in Cakewalk DAWs there is nothing to disable or enable. With the correct hardware and OS, certain functions have an added ability of control by touch otherwise the functions are still available using the mouse and keyboard.
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Using and Apply Effects (Music Creator 6) 2016/08/01 05:53:29 (permalink)
So...just to make sure:
Are you sure it's "Apply effect" you're after? I sort of sense a misundertsanding here.
Are you familiar with using VSTs and softsynths in general? Have you checked tutorials and help file or videos so you know what to do?

When you record, mix and play back the effects are usually in the FX bin of the track.
You can bounce to tracks or freeze to save resources. That way your original, uneffected material remains always intact. If you "Apply" the FX on the audio track, there's no going back. After the next "Save" Your original audio is gone forever. Not recommended.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Using and Apply Effects (Music Creator 6) 2016/08/01 08:42:34 (permalink)
To apply the effect means to make it a part of the track permanently. There's no backing up and changing your mind with this route. It's called "destructive editing", meaning it permanently destroys the original wave and replaces it with the effected wave.

Perhaps what you want is to simply have the effect on the track output so you can hear it. (such as reverb or EQ) This is the recommended way to do it. Although both have a purpose and reason.  To get the effect to work, simply insert it into the FX bin of the audio track.

Be sure it's an audio track and the FX is audio track FX.  As soon as you insert it, you should be able to hear that effect if it's an EQ or reverb. Compression not necessarily so easy to hear at times.  That's all that's to getting the FX to work. You can save the settings and adjustments you make to the FX as a new preset, and you can remove it and go back to the dry track and insert a new FX. In addition, you can insert multiple FX into any given FX bin. At times I have EQ, Reverb, and perhaps several other FX modules in the FX bin of a given track or BUSS.  Yes, you can do the same thing with busses to save the number of active FX modules running in the DAW at any given time.

If you process audio, you are applying that effect permanently and destructively to the wave in the track. Once you save it and close the program, that change or application of the FX will be impossible to remove. It's only a good idea to do this if you are absolutely, positively, 100% sure about the FX. Even so, it's always a good idea to close the track BEFORE you apply the track in the event that 2 days later you don't like the fx and want to change it or remove it.

My process..... record all tracks totally dry. Add the FX as needed in the tracks or the busses and also the mastering FX into the master buss.  That gives me the option to change things if I need to do so.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2016/08/01 09:04:37

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1