Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll!

Author
elsongs
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
2016/07/27 16:04:57 (permalink)

Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll!

Just a show of hands, how many of you here are currently trying to beat the July 29 Windows 10 Free upgrade deadline at the last minute? :)

[raises hand]

Elson Trinidad Los Angeles, CA, USA
Web: www.elsongs.com
Twitter: twitter.com/elsongs

DAWs: Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum x64, Propellerhead Reason 9, Presonus Studio One v3
CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.6MHz 
MB: ASRock X79 Xtreme4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation
MIDI: MOTU Microlite & Novation Impulse 61

19 Replies Related Threads

Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/27 16:11:33 (permalink)

Of course, my DAW has been Win 10 for about a year now.......the hand raise is for the family PC I've been lazy to upgrade.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/28 06:43:02 (permalink)
    Procrastinators abound.  I see several posts on the tenforums.com asking about how to get around the deadline. 
    Wait until the last minute and some will not get the free upgrade. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    AntManB
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/28 07:30:49 (permalink)
    You can always upgrade to Windows 10 then revert to Windows 7 if things don't work out (if I recall correctly, it keeps the files necessary to undo the upgrade for 30 days).  That way the free Windows 10 license will be activated for reinstallation at a later date (e.g. when drivers become available, or whatever the issue is).

AMB

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/28 08:43:52 (permalink)
    Considering Win 10 has been out (officially) for a year, there should not be any "new" drivers.  If a device needs a Win 10 driver and it hasn't been issued by now, it will never be issued.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Mesh
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/28 08:58:25 (permalink)
    Just need to make sure all your hardware has good driver support for Win 10.....(which I think the majority of vendors have already done this....YMMV).

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    rivers88
    • Total Posts : 328
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/28 17:31:34 (permalink)
    My free FWIW upgrade tip...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3454861

elsongs
    • Total Posts : 306
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/29 06:29:28 (permalink)
    Made the deadline! Got Win 10 up and running on a newer, larger SSD (and added a SATA hot swap in one of my 5.25" drive bays) a little past midnight this morning (Jul 29)! Also got new DAW desk furniture. I have Win 10 on my work computer, so it's not totally foreign to me.

Elson Trinidad Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Web: www.elsongs.com
    Twitter: twitter.com/elsongs

DAWs: Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum x64, Propellerhead Reason 9, Presonus Studio One v3
    CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.6MHz 
    MB: ASRock X79 Xtreme4
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation
    MIDI: MOTU Microlite & Novation Impulse 61
    Mesh
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/29 08:52:46 (permalink)
    Congrats Elson!!
    With all those new additions, your DAW should be an even more fun place to hang out now.....right?  

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/29 14:07:16 (permalink)
    I burned up five Win 8 Pro upgrade pre-order key codes that I bought but never installed in the past couple of weeks to clean install it on a small herd of old machines. Everything works, but the installer and Win 10 could not find a driver for the graphics card on the oldest machine. Fixed that with a Vista beta from the manufacturer.

My niece was over yesterday, and had never heard of the upgrade offer (does mostly cell phone browsing and email) and wanted me to help her upgrade her Win 8.0 laptop which apparently had not seen Windows update for a month of Sundays. To begin, although she had no less than five antivirus programs installed, she managed to collect a couple of dozen infected files. Then we started trying to get to 8.1---147 updates that took well over 5 hours to locate and download on my high speed connection. I assume that the update servers were taking a pounding.  Trying to use the automated get Windows 10\update this computer now resulted in another several hours of slow activity but no success. By then I was getting worried about the deadline. I used a usb drive on which I had the installer already, but made the mistake of  clicking the check for updates button during installation and the install went into checking for updates for several more hours. Cancelling the install left me watching the clean up screen for another hour and a half before I gave up. Finally I forced a reboot, and started again from the USB drive skipping the check for updates and everything went fine. Finished a good 22 hours before the midnight UTC 10 deadline with an activated Win 10 installation and her files intact except for the ones caught by the virus scan. Anyone who has not done this by now is probably SOL. Definitely use the media creation tool to make a USB drive and run it from there.
    post edited by slartabartfast - 2016/07/29 14:56:36
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/29 14:30:02 (permalink)
    I have spent the past couple of days cleaning things up from my little 120 GB SSD primary drive, so that I could actually survive the upgrade, which I WILL be attempting this afternoon.  I intend to first take a clone image of my C: drive, as well as regular backups.

Additionally, I will likely disconnect things like all of my hard drives with nothing but sample libraries and user data, as well as disconnecting my audio interface and midi controllers.

IF the upgrade in place fails, I will almost certainly then perform a clean install, and spend about two weeks getting all of my programs installed and connected back to the data they reference, and all that.

And, I also happen to have two full licenses for Windows 10 Pro, that are NOT connected to the free upgrade offer, but I hope to save those for future computer builds, as my hand keeps wanting to click on Add to Cart when I look at the Intel i7 CPU's...... (currently using AMD).

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Mesh
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/29 14:51:01 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    I burned up five Win 8 Pro upgrade pre-order key codes that I bought but never installed in the past couple of weeks to clean install it on a small herd of old machines. Everything works, but the installer and Win 10 could not find a driver for the graphics card on the oldest machine. Fixed that with a Vista beta from the manufacturer.

My niece was over yesterday, and had never heard of the upgrade offer (does mostly cell phone browsing and email) and wanted me to help her upgrade her Win 8.0 laptop which apparently had not seen Windows update for a month of Sundays. To begin, although she had no less than five antivirus programs installed, she managed to collect a couple of dozen infected files. Then we started trying to get to 8.1---147 updates that took well over 5 hours to locate and download on my high speed connection. I assume that the update servers were taking a pounding.  Trying to use the automated get Windows 10\update this computer now resulted in another several hours of slow activity but no success. By then I was getting worried about the deadline. I used a usb drive on which I had the installer already, but made the mistake of  clicking the check for updates button during installation and the install went into checking for updates for several more hours. Cancelling the install left me watching the clean up screen for another hour and a half before I gave up. Finally I forced a reboot, and started again from the USB drive skipping the check for updates and everything went fine. Finished a good 22 hours before the midnight UTC 10 deadline with an activated Win 10 installation and her files intact except for the ones caught by the virus scan. Anyone who has not done this by now is probably SOL. Definitely use the media creation tool to make a USB drive and run it from there.

Wow!!

After all that work, I bet you she'll still go back to her cell phone browsing.......

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/07/30 11:57:45 (permalink)
    Just made it on upgrading my old DAW which I'm rebuilding for a friend. It hung at 99% on checking before the reboot/install phase, but fortunately a friend of mine had the same problem and found the fix.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/08/03 11:14:06 (permalink)
    You can still get it free if you say that you didn't know or didn't see
    (impaired), from what I hear they do not check and don't seem to really care. Just sayin'
    I went ahead and all is well, just had to reauthorize with XLN. It is better.
    Thinking about getting the Anniversary update. Should I stay or should I go. ...
    J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    jbow
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/08/03 11:19:39 (permalink)
    Mesh
    slartabartfast

Wow!!

After all that work, I bet you she'll still go back to her cell phone browsing.......

Since I've gotten used to my iPhone 6s plus I find I use it way more than my laptop. I am probably using my laptop 95+% less. It is just easy, it's on WIFI and like I said... easy, quicker to just grab the phone (phablet) and GO.

I think for the masses the desktop is already a thing of the past. The laptop will give way to the tablet. The tablet will gain in RAM and processing, ports will be added and the market will drive new development. Big, more powerful computers may become more expensive again OR they may benefit from the advances in smaller devices and become cheaper. If I had a time machine  I would be a billionaire. Who knows.
    J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    jbow
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/08/03 11:27:36 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    Mesh
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/08/03 11:47:14 (permalink)
    jbow
    (impaired), from what I hear they do not check and don't seem to really care. Just sayin'
    Thinking about getting the Anniversary update. Should I stay or should I go. ...
    J

I actually tried a few attempts before the expiration date and ran into a couple dead stops which the Win 10 upgrade couldn't proceed (can't remember the exact problems.....fixed one of them, but not sure what the second one was and it just reverted back to Win 8). I wish it didn't do that and gave me an option to fix/check into it first.... 

Anyway, I didn't try after the expiration date......good to know this is still possible.

Julian, which method did you use to upgrade? (I downloaded their installer software and went that path)

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    jbow
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/08/03 13:02:26 (permalink)
    Mesh
    jbow
    J

I actually tried a few attempts before the expiration date and ran into a couple dead stops which the Win 10 upgrade couldn't proceed (can't remember the exact problems.....fixed one of them, but not sure what the second one was and it just reverted back to Win 8). I wish it didn't do that and gave me an option to fix/check into it first.... 

Anyway, I didn't try after the expiration date......good to know this is still possible.

Julian, which method did you use to upgrade? (I downloaded their installer software and went that path)

I don't know. I think I just clicked the little offer box and followed the instructions. I think the link probably gives you instructions on how to proceed now to get it free. I'm sure they can tell if you've tried and failed but I really, truly do not think they care or would even look to see. I'm pretty sure they would just give it to you if you told them you tried, had to roll back, etc, etc... I think they still really just want everyone moved to W10.
    There should be a link or something in Settings/updates but I'd ask maybe on tenforums. Fireberd might know.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    Mesh
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/08/03 13:22:38 (permalink)
    Ok...will do.
    Thanks Julien!!

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Win10 Free Upgrade Deadline Poll! 2016/08/03 15:59:12 (permalink)
    All my putters are Win 10 Pro (except my ADK laptop, that's Home). The Lovely Lady's? No, She's on 8.1 and due to her concern that some of her work related apps (highly specialized custom apps provided by developers in a small niche market) may not work in Win 10, she would not (and actually could not) make the time to install Win 10 to test it to see if anything failed.

So we'll just wait until her system dies such that we need to replace it and we will do so with Win 10 at that time and deal with the fallout (if any).

And, there's no need to tell me all the ways I could have or should have handled it for her. I've been in IT for over 30 years and have built and installed hundreds of computers and OS's. There's only one rule here. The customer/lovely lady is always right.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1