Helpful ReplyToday is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2016/07/29 10:48:01 (permalink)

Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free

Just sayin....for those of you sitting on the fence about whether or not to upgrade your DAW. 

And for the record, Sonar runs absolutely awesomely on it, definitely the best version of Windows I've used so far and I've had no problem whatsoever with either Sonar or any of my other audio software or devices (other's mileage may vary)...

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 10:57:58 (permalink)
+1 sharke

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Frostysnake
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 722
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 11:17:44 (permalink)
Leaving Windows as SOON as OSX version is released. Windows 7 has never failed me...but I HATE Microsoft. I know the arguments on both sides, but I have made my choice...everyone else will make theirs as well

Sonar Platinum Windows 7 64-bit
1 TB Hard Drive\Seagate 500 GB Slave
VS-100
MOTU 2408 MK3
A-Pro 800
violacompost
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 11:26:27 (permalink)
Sonar does seem to be running well on 10 for me too, I just upgraded last week.

I recommend to anyone who has to uninstall a program before upgrading to 10 (the wizard will tell you which programs they are) to quit the upgrade process and uninstall them normally/manually first, then try the upgrade again. I've had a little weirdness surrounding those "uninstalled" programs post upgrade and suspect that would have helped.

I don't know about anybody else, but I had a lot of problems with iLok/PACE after the upgrade. Computer wouldn't see the iLok, I couldn't run the license manager (it said the installation had "missing components"), and therefore couldn't use anything with keys on the iLok. I tried doing a fresh install of the license manager but couldn't actually fully uninstall the software (I never tried uninstalling it on 7, so maybe that would have been an issue before too). Anyway, the solution for me was to go into startup items and set PACE Security to "delayed" start. Haven't had a single (functional) issue with it since then.

Hope that's helpful info for anybody doing a last-minute upgrade today!
JGMusic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 11:34:24 (permalink)
I had to set PACE iLok to delayed start on both of my computers also.
JayCee99
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 353
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 11:55:46 (permalink)
violacompost
I don't know about anybody else, but I had a lot of problems with iLok/PACE after the upgrade. Computer wouldn't see the iLok, I couldn't run the license manager (it said the installation had "missing components"), and therefore couldn't use anything with keys on the iLok. I tried doing a fresh install of the license manager but couldn't actually fully uninstall the software (I never tried uninstalling it on 7, so maybe that would have been an issue before too). Anyway, the solution for me was to go into startup items and set PACE Security to "delayed" start. Haven't had a single (functional) issue with it since then.

I actually just ran into this issue last night.  I had previously had iLok/PACE installed on my Windows 8 machine and then did the free upgrade to Windows 10 and everything worked fine.  However, yesterday I purchased the lifetime updates for Sonar and decided to wipe my computer clean and do a fresh install of Windows 10.  After the install, iLok wouldn't install with the same error.  I did some searching and apparently it has something to do with missing Visual C++ Redistributable packages.  Some people reported success by going to MS's website and installing all of those packages but I haven't tried that yet. . . I'm not totally comfortable with doing that.  I'm thinking of writing an email to iLok to ask them if a fix is in the works on their side, since all other programs have installed fine.  Until then I'll have to live without AIR Hybrid 3, AIR Xpand!2 and Softtube Time & Tone Bundle :(

Sonar Platinum
Audio Interface: Focusrite 18i8 ASIO Interface 
Keys: Korg Kronos 88, Alesis VI25
Windows 8.1 x64 Laptop, 8GB RAM, i7 CPU
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 14:07:34 (permalink)
Crap. I let this slide too long because I was waiting to figure out how to get a FULL ISO for a clean installation (as opposed to the upgrade method which I don't trust AND I want to install on a partition first to test it all out).

So even though I have other stuff on the go I'm poking around to see if I can just download the bugger and install later at my leisure.

After about 30 seconds of searching it seems this might be possible and I'm going to provide the links here... a) to maybe help others scrambling like I am (and don't want that foolish upgrade option) and b) to see if anyone who's been through the process can offer some extra intel on WTF I'm doing.

Here's the MS page with download links including their ISO/Install Media Creation tool. Not sure if this is the full version for clean install or if it's an "upgrade wizard" thingie that hooks into the system being dl'd to...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Here's a "HowToGeek" article on doing a clean install using what seems to be a proper ISO with links to the downloads and directions. I CANNOT VERIFY THAT THIS IS A GOOD ARTICLE OR LINK because I haven't fully read or digested it yet but I have used this procedure in the past for Win7...

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

What I'm hoping will happen is I can just download a single ISO (or two ISO's) for my two current Windows systems and simply apply my serial number/reg codes at my leisure (on partitions at first and then maybe do a full wipe and install if I like it). My DAW is Windows7 64 Professional and my laptop (which I use for intertube stuff and testing things out) is Win7 64 Home.

Gonna poke at this and see what's up and hopefully end up with a a DVD copy to use for later installation when I have time or cram the ISO's on one of my USB thumb drives.

Thanks for the reminder, sharke. This is what I get for procrastinating (but I have been busy and the "clean ISO" thing didn't seem to be clear or even possible when I first researched this all last year).

Cheers.
JayCee99
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 14:12:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Devin Allison 2016/07/30 01:42:17
Beepster, you may also want to consider first upgrading to Windows 10.  Once you are upgraded, Windows 10 should have an option to "reset" your computer which will basically delete everything and do a clean install of Windows 10.  I just did it last night and it didn't require a CD or ISO or anything.  It was quite easy and then I didn't have to worry about serial #'s or anything like that.

Sonar Platinum
Beepster
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 14:19:02 (permalink)
rlared
Beepster, you may also want to consider first upgrading to Windows 10.  Once you are upgraded, Windows 10 should have an option to "reset" your computer which will basically delete everything and do a clean install of Windows 10.  I just did it last night and it didn't require a CD or ISO or anything.  It was quite easy and then I didn't have to worry about serial #'s or anything like that.

Indeed but I really do want to retain my Win7 installations for the moment for multiple reasons.

One thing I did not consider though, and could totally destroy my nefarious scheme, is whether these "free" upgrades need to be registered/activated before midnight tonight.

Like if I download the ISO(s) today but don't install/register them until a month from now maybe they won't work because the offer expired.

Oof. I'm going to try to download them anyway and hope for the best but I may be out of luck.

I'm also quite certain MS servers are going to be SLAMMED today.

Whoops. Should have gotten on this much much sooner.

/derp
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 14:25:17 (permalink)
The installation files will be available indefinitely but, you need to activate your installation by 11:29 PM July 29 UTC 10.
If you have waited this long, you are going to need a lot of luck, as the update servers are apparently getting pounded if my experience is any indication. One option is to install Windows 10 then revert back to Windows 7 or 8 after you activate your installation. The digital entitlement should stick to the machine so that you can activate Win 10 if you re-install it later. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3455364

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2466327/windows-10-becomes-a-fully-fledged-paid-product-tomorrow-as-free-offer-expires

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-procrastinators-guide-to-free-windows-10-upgrades/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-lock-in-your-free-windows-10-upgrade-and-keep-using-your-old-windows-version/

post edited by slartabartfast - 2016/07/29 14:55:32
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 14:25:40 (permalink)
Just remember... you can choose whether to upgrade to Windows 10 or not. But once you go with Windows 10, you can't decide to refuse updates. It's a roller-coaster that only goes down. 

Also: if a Product is offered to you for free, then It isn't the product. You are.

That said, I run Windows 10 on my DAW and SONAR runs great.

Beepster
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 14:36:02 (permalink)
Welp... with some extra searching I just found the answer to the registration deadline question over on CNET...

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-after-the-july-29-deadline/

Essentially I'd have to download, create the ISO image(s), install and register Win10 on both PC's. So effectively the upgrade and registration MUST happen now. Then I'd have to use the "Rollback" function to revert back to the previous Windows version.

At that point I could use my current version of Windows 7 for as long as I want then install Win10 whenever I feel like it.

Problems: This means actually pushing through the upgrade and rolling back which supposedly can cause problems with drivers and programs (not supported by Win10) so those would need to be fixed after the rollback (if any arise). The article states this seemed to mostly be an issue with Win7 installations.

A workaround could be to install on a partition to register the Win10 install instead of borking out the Win7 installations. However, due to the deadline and my technical ineptitude (and having other things on the go) I don't think I'll be able to muster the brute force to create the partitions, do the downloads, create the ISO's, register the products, etc on both systems before time runs out (already kind of burnt from meatworld mayhem today and the MS servers are likely going to be more than useless due to the increased traffic).

Oh well. No bigs. I like Win7 (and am skeptical about Win10 which is why I wanted to test it) but maybe this info will help others freaking out.

Cheers, all. Happy nerding.

;-)
JayCee99
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 14:45:34 (permalink)
In all likelihood, MS will probably extend the deadline anyway.  They are super hot to get everyone on Windows 10.  Probably just trying to create some urgency with the July deadline.

Sonar Platinum
Beepster
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 14:46:06 (permalink)
slartabartfast
The installation files will be available indefinitely but, you need to activate your installation by 11:29 PM July 29 UTC 10.
If you have waited this long, you are going to need a lot of luck, as the update servers are apparently getting pounded if my experience is any indication. One option is to install Windows 10 then revert back to Windows 7 or 8 after you activate your installation. The digital entitlement should stick to the machine so that you can activate Win 10 if you re-install it later. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3455364

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2466327/windows-10-becomes-a-fully-fledged-paid-product-tomorrow-as-free-offer-expires

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-procrastinators-guide-to-free-windows-10-upgrades/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-lock-in-your-free-windows-10-upgrade-and-keep-using-your-old-windows-version/

Thanks for the extra confirmation. Gonna let it ride. The only real problem I'm having with Win7 at the moment is MS seems to have COMPLETELY destroyed the update mechanism. Been wrestling with that the past few days as well. Might need to just lock down the DAW if that doesn't resolve itself.

Cheers.

stickman393
Just remember... you can choose whether to upgrade to Windows 10 or not. But once you go with Windows 10, you can't decide to refuse updates. It's a roller-coaster that only goes down. 

Also: if a Product is offered to you for free, then It isn't the product. You are.

That said, I run Windows 10 on my DAW and SONAR runs great.

Yup. One of the things ticking me off about it. I was also just up at a box store this morning poking at some Win10 lappys (first real experience with Win10) and it seems a little obnoxious. Not as obnoxious as 8.1 looked and DEFINITELY not as obnoxious as Vista was but it didn't make me drool with anticipation.

Mostly I was interested in the reported performance improvements and not becoming TOO much of a dinosaur.

However I've got my little monkey brain set on replacing my poor battered Acer laptop at some point so I can actually Skype and screencast with anyone who needs it and of course anything new is gonna come with Win10.

Not sure if that's gonna be possible but these budget laptops are certainly more that capable compared to when I bought this thing. Heck... I think a lot phones have more horsepower now. lol

Cheers.
Beepster
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 14:46:45 (permalink)
rlared
In all likelihood, MS will probably extend the deadline anyway.  They are super hot to get everyone on Windows 10.  Probably just trying to create some urgency with the July deadline.

This is what I'm hoping. Fingers crossed.

Cheers!
joakes
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 905
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 15:06:53 (permalink)
I don't understand the fuss about the updating. FWIW you can stop W10 (professional) from phoning home, updating etc very simply.

Try this : https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

I upgraded months ago, and used the above straight away. No problems.

Hope this helps last minute hesitaters to decide. I had awful latency issues under W7, had to disable the network adapter each time i used Sonar. W10 solved that.

Cheers,
J

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
Beepster
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 15:18:58 (permalink)
joakes
I don't understand the fuss about the updating. FWIW you can stop W10 (professional) from phoning home, updating etc very simply.

Hope this helps last minute hesitaters to decide. I had awful latency issues under W7, had to disable the network adapter each time i used Sonar. W10 solved that.

Cheers,
J

I hear ya. My whole premise though is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and Win7 has really been great for me from the start and I'd rather make the transition gradually (which I should have started 6 months ago... my bad).

Also as I poked around that Win10 system today I was essentially lost (like I am with any new OS) so I need a bit of time to explore and learn so that when real problems arise I'm not sitting there totally lost and useless. Kind of why I want to force myself to learn the new ways on my beater rig before transition on the DAW.

tl;dr...

I'm a scurredykat.

:-p
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 15:21:03 (permalink)
I'm trying again for the 7th time to get 10. So far Sonar is working fine, but before it has always stopped after a few days. My fingers are crossed...this will be the last time I try.
post edited by clintmartin - 2016/07/29 18:54:47

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 15:33:56 (permalink)
Mine works ok as well.
Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 15:35:47 (permalink)
Beepster
 My whole premise though is "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Exactly. Besides that, who knows what Win10 will turn out to be after the free upgrade period is over. Money pit, or "you can't do that", or both.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 15:44:32 (permalink)
I don't think "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies as strongly to OS updates as it does to other things. Eventually your old version of Windows is going to turn into a ball and chain. I still see people desperately clinging to XP, a 16 year old OS, because they're afraid to update their DAW's and they still think of it as the "ultimate" Windows. Yet they seem to spend half their time wrestling with whether or not this or that piece of new software is compatible with it.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
wetdentist
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1129
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 15:48:21 (permalink)
i was surprised how easy it was to get Windows 10 (the free version) working on my system.  i have several devices, Kore 1, Kore 2, Maschine & Keystation 61es, that don't have "Windows 10 drivers" and they all work flawlessly.  Sonar Platinum also runs quicker.  no joke!

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
my new sounds: The Das Kaput

joakes
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 905
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 16:28:49 (permalink)
Beepster
joakes

Cheers,
J

I hear ya. My whole premise though is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and Win7 has really been great for me from the start and I'd rather make the transition gradually (which I should have started 6 months ago... my bad).

Also as I poked around that Win10 system today I was essentially lost (like I am with any new OS) so I need a bit of time to explore and learn so that when real problems arise I'm not sitting there totally lost and useless. Kind of why I want to force myself to learn the new ways on my beater rig before transition on the DAW.

tl;dr...

I'm a scurredykat.

:-p

Yes, i understand.

I have to admit i cheated a little by putting a W7 start button on to W10 plus the W7 menu system and desktop. I didn't like the tiles system. So i got a wolf in sheep's clothing i guess.

But that being said, W10 is the bees knees for latency and i am glad i updated when i did - and how i did.

Just my POV.

Cheers,
J

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
Thedoccal
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 16:47:06 (permalink)
Kore 1 and 2 work?  Ok then!  Will have to plug my Kore 2 controller in and see what's up.
Oh... and I discovered that if I "right click" the Win 10 Start Icon I get a popup list of all the old start menu items including the Control Panel, shut down, etc. 
post edited by Thedoccal - 2016/07/29 17:09:33

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/29 18:25:08 (permalink)
 All legacy devices for me works on W10.  I was a naysayer because W7 is quite awesome.  Not one of my old outdated audio devices is a doorstop.  

I wouldn't do a clean install so I could use it to test everything.

Activation is quick and you don't involve yourself in it.

Not so sure about W10? Image your current OS, install 10, make sure it it activated, try it. if you don't like it-revert. At least with the activated W10 image you got your free upgrade. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/30 04:59:11 (permalink)
 GREAT! Maybe now they'll finally stop nagging me to switch and quit with the stealthy slight of hand attempts to install 10 on my pc! When I'm ready, I'll get a new pc.

No fear here, but still running XP on the desktop w/no internet cause some older apps don't work on Win7 and up.
Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/30 07:06:12 (permalink)
This is certainly true...

but also true is that if you upgrade an OS you need to spend half your time in advance wrestling with whether or not this or that piece of hardware you have is compatible with it.. and the chances are that it is not...and if not, and its an important piece of hardware you are pretty screwed.

So Win 10 is only free if you dont have to buy a new interface, controller, or synthesizer ;)

sharke
I don't think "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies as strongly to OS updates as it does to other things. Eventually your old version of Windows is going to turn into a ball and chain. I still see people desperately clinging to XP, a 16 year old OS, because they're afraid to update their DAW's and they still think of it as the "ultimate" Windows. Yet they seem to spend half their time wrestling with whether or not this or that piece of new software is compatible with it.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/30 09:06:37 (permalink)
I have no interest in this new technology, im still on Windows 99 and running fine.

My DAW is state of the art

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

tonydude
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/30 11:32:19 (permalink)
I like Windows 10, but I am a .NET developer.

In addition stuff like PowerShell and Chocolatey interests me. Many hours have been wasted installing / re-installing music software. The ability to script installs and automatic updates is a huge plus in my book. 

robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
Re: Today is your LAST CHANCE to get Windows 10 for free 2016/07/30 13:08:07 (permalink)
Beepster

Thanks for the extra confirmation. Gonna let it ride. The only real problem I'm having with Win7 at the moment is MS seems to have COMPLETELY destroyed the update mechanism. Been wrestling with that the past few days as well. Might need to just lock down the DAW if that doesn't resolve itself.

Cheers.

Ah ha! I thought something was wonky, last night I found one of my pcs running win 7 at 50 - 100% cpu unceasingly, rendering the pc useless. I eventually tracked it to a certain syvhost. Online I found how to figure out which program it was running for as there were about 6 syvhosts running. Turned out it was Windows Update. Other articles online said it was a common problem and it is best to turn off the Windows Update via a disable, and it gave instructions how to do it. Then it said just enable it ever so often and run the updates.

So next I went into windows update which I had configured to notify me, but don't download and install so I had that control. Lo and behold I see there are 42 updates and the last install was Feb 10th!

Now I'm really wondering. I attempted to download the critical updates. No go. So I just selected one, a small one for Silverlight. again, 0% progress after 1 hour.

Then I check my DAW pc. Same thing, last update and download Feb 10th, now with 30 some critical updates.

So I go back to the family pc and troubleshoot. All articles said to download a windows diagnostic tool from Microsoft and it will fix it. I did that. It found 3 issues such as corrupted files and fixed 2 of them. The 3rd stated unable to download critical files or something like that remained unfixed.

I restarted and went into windows updater, still a no go after an hour trying to download a 5 kb file.

Now I'm thinking, let's go for win 10. I go and find out I'm too late, it ended at midnight. I ran a query from google and the response indicated there would be no extension to the deadline and that Robby K ate bisquits for breakfast and didn't deserve any of them :)

Oh well I went to bed.

Now today, I see it was Microsoft all along. They shipwrecked me on Feb 10th not realizing I wouldn't notice until July 29th at 11PM!

Me not happy...I will permanently disable windows update...

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1