A simple way to turn 2 or more mono tracks into one stereo track.

Author
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
2016/07/30 15:15:38 (permalink)
3 (1)

Maybe a buss bounce.... ?

Like if I have a mono full right track and a mono full left track and want to create a stereo track...
post edited by Dave000 - 2016/07/30 19:52:48

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019

5 Replies Related Threads

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: A simple way to turn 2 or more mono tracks into one stereo track. 2016/07/31 15:57:11 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Select the tracks you wish to bounce, go to the Tracks menu and select Bounce to Track(s). This creates a stereo track by default. Is that not simple enough?

Alternatively (if you prefer to replace the original tracks), select the tracks you wish to bounce and right-click on any one of the selected clips. From the menu, select Bounce to Clips.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    twelvetone
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: A simple way to turn 2 or more mono tracks into one stereo track. 2016/07/31 22:15:18 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    This gets asked often, even by me once.

Merely working your way through the documentation would not lead you to this solution.

The fact that 'Tracks/Bounce to Track(s)' opens a dialog which, amongst many other options, also has a 'Channel Format' selection, and that this is what you need to turn two mono tracks to one stereo track, is non-obvious.

I found it confusing that the similarly named function 'Bounce to Clip(s)' in the right-click menu does NOT have an equivalent sub-dialog, but it DOES have another menu directly underneath it called 'Convert to Stereo' (or Mono, depending), but which does NOT do what you might expect.

It is sufficiently non-obvious is it that when I asked this same question, one of the more erudite members of this forum advised me to go to File/Export and in that dialog there is (also) a 'Channel Format' option. I was to export my files, then re-import the converted files into my project.

In other words, the person advising me also did not know of the sub-dialog in 'Bounce to Track(s)'.

Something along the lines of a 'Craig Anderton's Tips Light', in which common operations and how to achieve them is described would be very useful. Help in a cookbook recipe format.
    post edited by twelvetone - 2016/07/31 22:37:49
    Soulburned
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re: A simple way to turn 2 or more mono tracks into one stereo track. 2016/08/01 04:43:35 (permalink)
    Currently, it is extremely easy to just export a bounce that automatically re-imports. 

However, if you're asking to have a specific "action" that can be accessible as a basic function in Sonar, such as right clicking on two highlighted mono tracks and go to the menu "Process" and say "create Stereo clip" which will just take the two clips in separate tracks and "mux" them in the track order they exist in.

Example:
    Track1 = Overhead Left
    Track2 = Overhead Right

Track1's clip becomes channel left, and Track2's clip becomes channel right. 

Concerns & Considerations:
    • As a basic "process audio" operation, what happens when selecting two clips of different sample lengths?  Will the operation just assume the beginning and end of the audio based on the longest clip selected? How will it fill the "null"?  Can the Process Audio operation pay attention to clip based gain, fades, and effects (such as bouncing a clip would) so that we can manually make sure that clip fades out to 0 amplitude to avoid sudden clicks or pops?
    • The issue with the operation is that it is possible to have multiple sample rate and bit depth clips in a project, so making sure that whatever you're combining has the proper sample rate and bit depth information or else the engine will have to go through an SRC stage BEFORE "muxing" into a single stereo-interleaved wave file.
    • Also consider that whatever Broadcast Wave metadata or ACID metadata exists in the mono clips may be lost when creating a new bounced clip.
    Unknowen
    Re: A simple way to turn 2 or more mono tracks into one stereo track. 2016/08/01 11:01:49 (permalink)
    Kev999
    Select the tracks you wish to bounce, go to the Tracks menu and select Bounce to Track(s). This creates a stereo track by default. Is that not simple enough?

Alternatively (if you prefer to replace the original tracks), select the tracks you wish to bounce and right-click on any one of the selected clips. From the menu, select Bounce to Clips.

This does not combined (TWO) tracks into (One) Stereo track, it only makes one stereo copy of each track.  

Hay look,
    Unknowen
    Re: A simple way to turn 2 or more mono tracks into one stereo track. 2016/08/01 11:03:03 (permalink)
    Soulburned
    Currently, it is extremely easy to just export a bounce that automatically re-imports. 

However, if you're asking to have a specific "action" that can be accessible as a basic function in Sonar, such as right clicking on two highlighted mono tracks and go to the menu "Process" and say "create Stereo clip" which will just take the two clips in separate tracks and "mux" them in the track order they exist in.

Example:
    Track1 = Overhead Left
    Track2 = Overhead Right

Track1's clip becomes channel left, and Track2's clip becomes channel right. 

Concerns & Considerations:
    • As a basic "process audio" operation, what happens when selecting two clips of different sample lengths?  Will the operation just assume the beginning and end of the audio based on the longest clip selected? How will it fill the "null"?  Can the Process Audio operation pay attention to clip based gain, fades, and effects (such as bouncing a clip would) so that we can manually make sure that clip fades out to 0 amplitude to avoid sudden clicks or pops?
    • The issue with the operation is that it is possible to have multiple sample rate and bit depth clips in a project, so making sure that whatever you're combining has the proper sample rate and bit depth information or else the engine will have to go through an SRC stage BEFORE "muxing" into a single stereo-interleaved wave file.
    • Also consider that whatever Broadcast Wave metadata or ACID metadata exists in the mono clips may be lost when creating a new bounced clip.

That's how I have been doing it, but it would be nice to just point and click to save time. :)

Hay look,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1