eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...?

Author
BASSJOKER
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
2016/08/12 21:31:18 (permalink)

eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...?

suggestions for EQ'ing mic noise on vocal track...?  Low end "boom/air" type mess that I need something to hone in on it
It was a quick take that I can't seem to beat so hoping to clean it up if possible (though I tried to bury it a lil in the mix)....is Melodyne a possible weapon ?  ....thanks for any sugg's.   I might post the dirty culprit tommorow .....

-Steve

MC7, Lexicon Alpha, Win10,Toshiba,Sat L955,Intel I5 1.7G, 6G Ram, 64 Bit,  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Vox, Ashdown

12 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/13 06:43:04 (permalink)
    With mics, it's always best to get it as right as possible the first time around.... barring that, is the noise in the vocals or the space in between the phrasing?

If it's in between, the easy fix is to use the audio process to mute the noise..... just zoom in, drag the mouse to select the area you want silent, and process it.  Waa Laaa, perfect silence. I use this often to eliminate the room noise and vocal/mouth noises

If it's in the vocals, you can cut the lows with EQ but that may ruin the vocal quality.

Without hearing it, it's really hard to say... but sometimes, the noise is so embedded and loud/noticeable that it effectively renders the track useless.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rcklln
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 421
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/13 10:29:13 (permalink)
    BASSJOKER
    ....is Melodyne a possible weapon ?  ....

I've been able to use melodyne to remove "incidental" or stray notes but what you are describing sounds like a job for something like iZotope RX5. Problem is it's not cheap and takes some expertise or experience with the tools to get it right (if it's even fixable).
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/13 11:50:29 (permalink)
    Low-frequency plosives aren't hard to mitigate, because they're well below the fundamental frequencies of even a baritone vocal. Any EQ can do it, even if you have to stack filters to accomplish it. Using a spectrum analyzer, identify the lowest important frequency in the vocal track. It might be as low as 200 Hz, but your plosives are probably below 100 Hz. Fixing it will only require a 48db/octave slope starting at 200 Hz. If your EQ can't do 48, stack two 24db/octave filters atop one another.

Sometimes, though, low-frequency pops will have harmonics that extend up well into the vocal frequencies, so that even after filtering out the <100Hz stuff there's still an audible artifact. In that case, a multi-band compressor (e.g. Sonitus Multiband), dynamic equalizer (e.g. MDynamicEQ, my preference) or broadband compressor with a sidechain filter (e.g. Pro-C) can save the day.

With any of these methods you can usually be very aggressive in suppressing pops without hurting the performance, since the meat of a vocal track is in the 700-2000 Hz range.

Now, if the singer was really blowing into the mic, there's also a chance that the track is also distorted. If you just can't get rid of the artifacts no matter what you try, look for clipping. If the track is clipped, then you're screwed. Tell the singer to do it again, or live with a bad track. Or go all in and throw on some more heavy distortion, call it an effect.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    BASSJOKER
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/13 16:54:34 (permalink)
    Thanks Bit et al ......the culprit "vocalist"....(gulp).....was yours truly lol. It's really a test track of a song I wrote for a real singer to tackle in the future....its a quickie I wrote n literally made up the lyrics on the fly first take and tried some retakes of the vocals but something about that first go just sticks with me...the others don't have that feel I have at that moment. I wanna let ya hear it but I'm really gun shy on putting up a song I hope to let fly on an album in future....I often wonder and am likely a lil paranoid about bootleggers.....lol....I know....silly at amateur level...but obviously some of it's very personal. Maybe I will try to upload the offensive part. I do want to get some feedback on what I have recorded for pointers n advice. That said....where's best place to start with uploading sounds bits? vs. full songs? ...thanks all....really enjoy it here.... ;-)

-Steve

MC7, Lexicon Alpha, Win10,Toshiba,Sat L955,Intel I5 1.7G, 6G Ram, 64 Bit,  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Vox, Ashdown

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/14 09:48:55 (permalink)
    All the tricks I've accumulated for editing, tweaking and generally saving vocals from the trash bin have been learned by salvaging my own mangled takes. I reckon if I can make myself sound passable, I can then confidently claim to make real singers sound great.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    paradoxx@optonline.net
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/14 11:41:46 (permalink)
    If its a steady background noise like a fan or air conditioner, make a copy of the noise in a section where there is no vocals, paste it in a new track and reverse the polarity, then stretch it to the size of the original track. It should cut down on the noise when played together with the original track!

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/14 12:57:37 (permalink)
    Waves de-breath plugin is pretty good at removing unwanted breath sounds in vocal recordings.

For other noise removal purposes I try and eq out what I can without damaging what I want to keep then run the track through Audition's noise removal processing. Like all noise removal, a couple of passes at conservative settings can be very effective and cause fewer artifacts from noise reduction than a single pass at more extreme settings.

Sometimes just a very tight eq cut can do the job. I am plagued by guitars (even Gibsons with humbuckers) picking up the wireless router signals and converting them to audio as two whining noises, one around 2.4KHz and the other around 5KHz. It's most noticable at high gain of course. A couple of very narrow eq cuts at the offending frequencies gets rid of the noise with almost no noticable side-effects.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    BASSJOKER
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/14 16:35:58 (permalink)
    thanks for those last tips....will try em...

-Steve

sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/14 16:43:44 (permalink)
    I've tried removing fan noise with Audition. Like tlw says, it works better with multiple passes at mild settings. Having said that, even though you can pretty much eliminate it, there are quite audible (and unacceptable) artifacts at 100% elimination. So now my philosophy is don't even try to completely eliminate it, as long as I can get it maybe 75% of the way there I can put up with a little noise. If the track is competing with multiple other tracks it's not going to be noticeable at that level, except maybe during the silent parts of the track (and you can edit those). If it's a solo performance then I'm going to be more concerned, but I think if I was recording solo performances I would seriously think about ditching the idea of recording at home (which in my case isn't exactly ideal) and shelling out for a recording session. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    BASSJOKER
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/15 21:27:38 (permalink)
    Im gonna try to put the offending vocal moment up for some thoughts.  It is a quieter moment in the beginning of the song....you will hear it blatantly on decent speakers/headphones...though I listened to a final mix on my bluetooth jogging(no i was walking....have not had that gumption for awhile...lol) phones and it was not very noticeable.   This recording is just a demo...but I would like to see if i can tackle that moment to rid the offense...lol....standby.  Oh...that said ....is there advantage to Soundcloud vs. other sites to upload bits of audio vs actual songs ?  input appreciated of course guys....thanks for feedback as always  ;o)

-Steve

BASSJOKER
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/16 16:24:11 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Low-frequency plosives aren't hard to mitigate, because they're well below the fundamental frequencies of even a baritone vocal. Any EQ can do it, even if you have to stack filters to accomplish it. Using a spectrum analyzer, identify the lowest important frequency in the vocal track. It might be as low as 200 Hz, but your plosives are probably below 100 Hz. Fixing it will only require a 48db/octave slope starting at 200 Hz. If your EQ can't do 48, stack two 24db/octave filters atop one another.

I was able to rid the funk below ....exactly as described above....using TRacks Classic EQ....which I forgot I had on hand waiting in the wings.   I still have another artifact going on that is in the higher register... when I get this song uploaded...I will leave it to ya to hear it and see what ya think...thanks again for all the input  ;o)

-Steve

BASSJOKER
    Re: eliminating mic "noise" post recording.... best EQ plug suggestions please...? 2016/08/16 20:11:11 (permalink)
    Ok....well...so...with a lil play on the volume envelope I cut down the other rough spot on the vocal at about :34 into it.   Anyway ....here's the track I finally uploaded to Scloud....have at it ...love to hear thoughts....but please keep in mind ....this is a draft...I know there's a lil(lot?) low mud in there(the bass was di thru a mess of amp sim that ...future will be tighter/cleaner Ashdown...lol.  The mix is not too hot....I basically had to have the vol up on my phones after mix down....but think its relatively clean.... but I leave it to your experienced thoughts...and hope it maybe brings a lil spark o delight as so many around here do for moi  :o)

https://soundcloud.com/bassjoker-539341521/babyjam6/s-3NdkW

-Steve

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1