Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2016/08/15 01:10:57 (permalink)

Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop

This is a nice effective little trick I watched on Mixbus TV on YouTube. Now all I need is a MIDI triggerable upward compressor, lol...

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

10 Replies Related Threads

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop 2016/08/15 07:45:05 (permalink)
    Off the top of my head, using an expander side-chained to a drum sample, with the drum sample track either muted or with the track fader all the way down.

Or if the notes have clear separation in time a transient shaper might work.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    sharke
    Re: Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop 2016/08/15 16:20:30 (permalink)
    Or easier still, just tweak the synth to have more attack, lol!

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    tlw
    Re: Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop 2016/08/15 19:49:21 (permalink)
    Ah, but when the accordion is a real accordion, not what someone in Japan thinks an accordion might sound like to someone who cant tell their accordian from their diatonic accordion from their concertina or bandoneon or harmonica, then the attack the instrument/musician has is the attack you're gonna get.

Some of the free reed+bellows family are very punchy, others are naturally smooth like a reed organ.

Therefore transient shaping, compressor/expander side-chain controlled pumping etc. No different to handling a heavy guitar riff that's been tracked so distorted and squished it lacks clear dynamics really. Better to record it right in the first place, of course.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Soundwise
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1419
    Re: Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop 2016/08/16 06:41:24 (permalink)
    Sharke, could this be what you are looking for?

Anderton
    We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
    YouTube
    BandLab
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop 2016/08/16 07:49:01 (permalink)
    Real ones sometimes have clacky key noises in my experience. The expander would likely make this mechanical noise worse.

That is for acoustic recordings.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    tlw
    Re: Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop 2016/08/16 18:16:08 (permalink)
    Very true. I've a very nice Cajun-style melodeon that clacks quite badly. Close micing makes the problem really obvious, but live it's OK like a humming amp is often OK live. It's recording where the noise becomes objectionable.

sharke
    Re: Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop 2016/08/17 09:27:11 (permalink)
    Soundwise

That would do it at a uniform speed though instead of on a per note basis? 

James
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop 2016/08/18 10:51:21 (permalink)
    I can think of several approaches I'd try first, before resorting to MIDI-controlled expansion. 

One of the easiest (but least versatile) is a tempo-synced tremolo. Meldaproduction has a couple of syncable tremolos, with wildly adjustable modulator waveforms. You can, for example, pump the full mix to lend additional rhythmic punctuation. And it's easy to adjust from very subtle to in-yer-face, or to modulate that adjustment via automation. This technique is especially applicable to the scenario described in the video.

In the example of a too-soft attack on an sampled instrument, I'd be inclined to solve that by layering. Clone the track and route it to a soft synth, and then design any attack you want. Use a short pluck patch to make your acoustic piano sound like a tack piano, for example. Make the pluck's volume and filter velocity-sensitive so you're only boosting notes that were already accented to begin with. 

Going up in complexity, an envelope follower lets you modify any portion of an instrument's envelope. FabFilter Saturn is a great example, as its modulation features are quite extensive. I use it a lot on bass if it needs to be punchier, by modulating both volume and distortion. You can also punch leads up with FabFilter Timeless, or really any delay/reverb that offers a ducking feature. Smudging the release but not the attack has the effect of bringing out the instrument's attack, in the way that dipping one EQ band yields the same result as raising a complementary band. Boz Millar's Imperial Delay is especially good for this.

Probably the last resort (next to MIDI-controlled expansion) would be a transient shaper. It's always hit-and-miss with transient designers, but it's easy to stick one in and twiddle its two knobs to see if it's going to work. Multi-band transient shapers can be very cool for pumping up acoustic drum tracks when all you have to work with is pre-mixed audio.

But if you really like the technique shown in the video, the Sonitus compressor and Sonitus gate can do it. No need to buy Pro-G.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    sharke
    Re: Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop 2016/08/18 22:08:07 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    One of the easiest (but least versatile) is a tempo-synced tremolo. Meldaproduction has a couple of syncable tremolos, with wildly adjustable modulator waveforms. You can, for example, pump the full mix to lend additional rhythmic punctuation. And it's easy to adjust from very subtle to in-yer-face, or to modulate that adjustment via automation. This technique is especially applicable to the scenario described in the video.

It would be, if the lead consisted of uniform notes. However I think the whole purpose of doing it with MIDI notes is that you can place the notes wherever you like, to match a non-uniform lead melody. 

bitflipper
    Going up in complexity, an envelope follower lets you modify any portion of an instrument's envelope. FabFilter Saturn is a great example, as its modulation features are quite extensive. I use it a lot on bass if it needs to be punchier, by modulating both volume and distortion. You can also punch leads up with FabFilter Timeless, or really any delay/reverb that offers a ducking feature. Smudging the release but not the attack has the effect of bringing out the instrument's attack, in the way that dipping one EQ band yields the same result as raising a complementary band. Boz Millar's Imperial Delay is especially good for this.

Probably the last resort (next to MIDI-controlled expansion) would be a transient shaper. It's always hit-and-miss with transient designers, but it's easy to stick one in and twiddle its two knobs to see if it's going to work. Multi-band transient shapers can be very cool for pumping up acoustic drum tracks when all you have to work with is pre-mixed audio.

Someone mentions transient shapers in the comments and like he replies, a transient shaper is good if the transient is there to begin with, but in some cases (like the track in the video), there's not much of a transient to work with. I think an envelope follower would work though, you could probably do it in Guitar Rig. 

James
    Soundwise
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1419
    Re: Using MIDI triggered upward compression to make a lead pop 2016/08/21 07:52:52 (permalink)
    sharke
    Soundwise

That would do it at a uniform speed though instead of on a per note basis? 

No, you can trigger it via MIDI events. The envelope shape can be adjusted to pump on midi trigger.

Anderton
    We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
    YouTube
    BandLab
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1