Arturia Keylab and Sonar Platinum: azslow´s Script is you friend ;-)

Author
Astartes
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2016/08/21 06:26:31 (permalink)

Arturia Keylab and Sonar Platinum: azslow´s Script is you friend ;-)

Ok, this a Re-Post of my reply in another Thread. But i thought i set up a Thread for that so everyone can find it if needed.

Thanks to azslows Script it is possibel to integrate the Keylab (i use the 25 Key Version without any other Arturia Stuff...why i mention that: Later) fully into Sonar Platinum:

Transport works (only Loop dosn´t)
Faders (8 + Master) are working without the hassle of Fader Jumps or searching the "Pick-up Position"
Same for the Knobs (1 to 4 and 6 to 9 in mmy case, Knob 5 and 10 are used for moving WAI Position in my config)

Based on the Start-Up Preset in azslow´s script i have set up 8 Channels with 1 Fader, 1 Knob and 1 Button for each channel. For Act i have set up 2 Banks so you have 48 Parameters per Synth/FX to control via Act (schould be enoug for most uses i guess... 8 Faders, Knobs and buttons per Bank. You can Set up more Banks if you need more).

Kan´t say anything for the Pads on the 49-, 61- and 88 Key version.

As i didn´t use any Arturia VSTs i set the knobs to "relative" and that way i get the ability to fine tune the acceleration of the knobs via the script. But it works as well when the Kobs are set to "Absolute" on the Keylab (without the ability to finecontrol acceleration).

Setup is really Simple:

-Download azslows script from his site and install it.
-Set up AZControler in the Controller Section, your Keylab as input and output
- in the "Presets" section on his site you find, as last Post in this Categrory, a quick guide for Setting up the Start Up Preset. Follow this Guide for Basic Setup (Number of Buttons, Faders, Knobs, ACT Banks) and Save your config.

After you´ve finished this process swith to the "Logic" Tab in the Controller editor Window

-Move a Fader/Knob. You should now see the CC and sone other Information in the Middle of the Editor Screen
(Action List)

- Click on the third Entry so that it get highlighted. Below the Action List Window you kan now edit the behavoir of the Fader/Knob. Here is how i´ve set up mine:

Faders (the Drop-Downs under "Action Configuration"): Value (1st Drop Down), Instand (2nd Drop-Down), Linear (3rd Drop Down). This works as well for the Knobs when they are in Absolute Mode on the Keylab)

If you prefer relative movement including finecontrol of the acceleration than you have to set the Drop Downs for the knobs as follows:
1st: Value
2nd: Endless
3rd: Here you can set the percentage of the Parametermovement per Tick. Tweek it to your liking.
Again: When the Knobs are set to Relative on the Keylab you can use Endless Knobs in Sonar but you loose the abiltiy to control Arturia Stuff directly via the Keylab.

If you use Endless Mode Tick the "Reverse" Checkbox, otherwise the Knobs work the opposite way as they should.

It took me about 30 minutes after i figured how the script works to set everything up... well spend 30 Minutes i would say.. ;-)

7 Replies Related Threads

JoeHans
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: Arturia Keylab and Sonar Platinum: azslow´s Script is you friend ;-) 2016/08/22 07:45:24 (permalink)
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. I will give this a try. 

Sonar Platinum running on: Intel i7-2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, Kingston V300 SSD 240GB + OCZ 60GB SSD + Samsung 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram, E-MU 0404 USB
    Klaus
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 320
    Re: Arturia Keylab and Sonar Platinum: azslow´s Script is you friend ;-) 2016/08/22 15:43:09 (permalink)
    +1 for AZ Controller!

FWIW, I use an Edirol M-16DX mixer as a control surface with 42 knobs and 13 buttons only for ACT, 10 knobs for Sends per strip (Volume and Pan) and 14 buttons for other strip parameters or general purpose functions plus an additional X-Touch Compact controller altogether with one plug-in: AZ Controller.

If you use SONAR and have a controller which sends MIDI messages, give it a try.

I rarely recommend something but this is a pretty sophisticated piece of software and Alexey (the man behind AZ Controller) is always helpful if you have questions.

Best,
    Klaus

Edit: spelling
    post edited by Klaus - 2016/08/22 16:06:46

SONAR Platinum 
    RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

Astartes
    Re: Arturia Keylab and Sonar Platinum: azslow´s Script is you friend ;-) 2016/08/27 10:58:19 (permalink)
    Little Update: After Updating to the latest SPlat Release the script dosn´t recognise the Faders and Buttons when in ACT mote. Encoders still work but i´m unable to ACT-Map any Buttons or Faders. Dunno why....

Sonar Platinum (Livetime Updates), Bitwig Studio,
    Arturia Keylab 25, Ableton Push1, Intel i7 2720 QM, 12GB Ram, Windows 10
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Arturia Keylab and Sonar Platinum: azslow´s Script is you friend ;-) 2016/08/28 14:17:28 (permalink)
    I am unable to check till Wednesday, but that sounds strange. If it is like you describe, all devices will be unable to use ACT Dynamic Map mode and there are no other reports with such problem.

But the mapping can be corrupted in your installation (related or unrelated to Sonar upgrades). That happens... Try to use "AZ ACT Fix" : http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,297.0.html
    In short, download that utility, run it (when Sonar is closed) and press "Save and exit". Please let me know if that solves (or not) your mapping problem.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Astartes
    Re: Arturia Keylab and Sonar Platinum: azslow´s Script is you friend ;-) 2016/08/29 23:24:17 (permalink)
    Volume, Pan and Mute work like normal. After updating to the newest Version of Sonar i tried to ACT-Map the Volume-Encoders from the EQ in the Pro-Channel to the first 4 Faders of my Keylab. The script does not recognize all Fader movements (3 of 4 Faders on one attempt, 2 of 4 on another try, one of 4 on another... and so on) If you look in the config Window of the script under ACT you see all Knobs and buttons from the EQ are mapped out on the Encoders, Faders and Knobs are blank. The actfix told me my mapping files are corrupted an i should delete the files. So i did. After that when i try to ACT map any Parameter of a FX/Synth/Prochannel Module to the Faders or Knobs it does not work. The only thing that is working is to map Parameters to the encoders.

If i set up the Keylab with Sonar´s standart ACT Surface the mapping to the Faders and knobs work as expected.

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Arturia Keylab and Sonar Platinum: azslow´s Script is you friend ;-) 2016/08/30 10:29:11 (permalink)
    I am back at home, so I could reproduce your problem.

It looks like unfortunate coincidence of at least two problems:
    1) your mapping configuration was corrupted (indicated by the utility). Unfortunately, that happens periodically for me as well (and from what I know, for everyone else). Using corrupted configuration is looking for many troubles, so you should avoid that. Backup working configurations manually or using AZ ACT Fix (every time you press "Save&exit" there, backup is created and can be restored selecting required version and pressing "Save&exit")
    2) AZ Controller had logical bug (yes, my programs also have bugs...). I normally use ACT Tab for learning and so I have not noticed that learning not yet assigned controls from device was not working. I mean I am not sure since when it has stopped working.

Please download the latest test version of AZ Controller from Downloads, it is 0.5r2b339 at the moment. With that (or later, once updated) version, learning from device should work again (tested with Sonar 2016.8).

Thank you for spotting and reporting the problem!

PS. AZ Controller is not a script... it is quite complicated program written in "C". But it has build-in interpreter of script like (custom) language

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Astartes
    Re: Arturia Keylab and Sonar Platinum: azslow´s Script is you friend ;-) 2016/08/30 11:26:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick fix. I can confirm it´s working :-)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1