Helpful ReplyMono vs. Stereo Tracks

Author
Jeffiphone
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
2016/08/19 14:16:12 (permalink)

Mono vs. Stereo Tracks

While I've been at this for a couple years now, I've gotta come clean and ask......

I'm still unclear on the reasons some folks record mono guitar tracks, and some record stereo guitar tracks (vocals too). I've seen both types on the countless tutorials, screenshots, etc, I've looked at.
I use Amplitube for all my guitar tracks, and have been using the mono input. I feel like I'm missing out on something not using the stereo setup in Amplitube??? And it seems like most FX I see out there are stereo.

Can someone please enlighten me on the pro's and cons of each (mono and stereo tracks)???

Thanks so much!

~Jeff

Acer with i7 processer - Sonar Platinum 64bit - Windows 10 64 bit - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) -
reginaldStjohn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 485
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/19 15:20:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2016/08/19 20:25:56
A mono track only contains one channel of information. If you record a mono source, guitar, vocal, etc. and you recorded it to a stereo channel you would have two channels of audio but they would be exactly the same. this is redundant if you were not going to process the data in any way. However, being mono or stereo can have an effect when you start applying processing to the audio.

For example a delay plugin may take a mono input and create a stereo output. The same delay could also take a stereo input and process the two channels differently producing a stereo output as well. However, if the stereo input is just a copy of a mono input then it is effectively the same as using a mono input to the effect.

However if you record a stereo track where the left and right channels of audio are different, maybe different mics, amps or the output of a processor then the stereo track makes sense.

Really all I am saying is that if you truly have a mono source then use a mono track. If your source, whether it be from a stereo instrument or the result of running a mono source through stereo processing, has differences between the two audio channels that you want to keep then use a stereo track.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
Windows 10
Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
LTD ESP EC-1000
PRS El Torrero SE
Jeffiphone
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/19 15:43:41 (permalink)
reginaldStjohn
A mono track only contains one channel of information. If you record a mono source, guitar, vocal, etc. and you recorded it to a stereo channel you would have two channels of audio but they would be exactly the same. this is redundant if you were not going to process the data in any way. However, being mono or stereo can have an effect when you start applying processing to the audio.

For example a delay plugin may take a mono input and create a stereo output. The same delay could also take a stereo input and process the two channels differently producing a stereo output as well. However, if the stereo input is just a copy of a mono input then it is effectively the same as using a mono input to the effect.

However if you record a stereo track where the left and right channels of audio are different, maybe different mics, amps or the output of a processor then the stereo track makes sense.

Really all I am saying is that if you truly have a mono source then use a mono track. If your source, whether it be from a stereo instrument or the result of running a mono source through stereo processing, has differences between the two audio channels that you want to keep then use a stereo track.

Thanks Reginald. Getting clearer.....

Yes, I'm recording all mono. So what you're saying is.......it would be basically pointless for me to record a stereo guitar track via the stereo option on my interface, as opposed to mono (left or right input only)? So the only time a stereo track is needed is if, for instance, I'm recording a real amp with two mics, or two amps simultaneously? I can understand that.

So all the fx I have in Platinum will work as designed with a mono track (i.e. delay, chorus, flange, etc)? For some reason when I think of stereo, I think of a "bigger" sound. But I guess that's not the case......

Acer with i7 processer - Sonar Platinum 64bit - Windows 10 64 bit - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) -
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/19 18:46:23 (permalink)
I have never seen a tutorial where someone recorded "stereo" vox or guitar, but I haven't been looking for one. My guess is whoever it was was just lazy and selected the first stereo input on their interface.

There is literally no benefit to recording a mono source in "stereo" (really it's duo mono at this point) since Sonar can still feed it to any effect and make it stereo (if the effect does anything to make it stereo, that is). All you're doing is wasting disk space, speed and processing power.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/19 18:51:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2016/08/19 20:26:00
That's right. If the source is mono, record it in mono.
Very few sources are stereo. Mostly outboard synths and guitar processors.
These are stereo and benefit from a stereo recording as that will capture the built in effects etc.
You can actually cause phasing issues with stereo recordings of mono sources.
The other benefit of mono tracks is the ability to pan them in the stereo field. It's a PITA to work with stereo tracks and panning.
And it's certainly easier to look at a mono wave form on the screen and see what's up.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/20 03:32:44 (permalink)
Outputs from a guitar processor such as a Pod will be presented as stereo so I always record to a stereo track, plus an additional DI out from the Pod to give me the option of trying something else after recording

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/20 07:15:46 (permalink)
the only time you would want to use a stereo track to record guitar is if your going to print it.
(print FX directly/use track FX) or if your guitar is using a stereo pan FX, mic'ing 2 cabs...similar to reason number 1.

for vocal ? I have no clue why someone would do that other than recording a chorus of singers on the left side of the room and the right side of the room.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/20 07:20:28 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
Outputs from a guitar processor such as a Pod will be presented as stereo so I always record to a stereo track, plus an additional DI out from the Pod to give me the option of trying something else after recording

now this ^^^^ is the way every guitar track should be done if your printing a processed signal.
however... BJ are you using a POD ? we need to talk

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Maarkr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 488
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/20 09:13:06 (permalink)
remember that audio mixes are a three-dimensional space... you have panning, L and R, as well as front to back using reverb.  Recording instruments etc as mono allows you to pan them in that final output stereo space for separation and clarity.  Putting all of your tracks at dead center results in a mix without space and causes frequencies to conflict (not the best term but you get the idea).

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/20 09:51:56 (permalink)
I think a device like the POD presents a "stereo" signal just because it is too lazy/inconvenient to switch between one channel and L/R depending on which FX are used. Anything with reverb on it will usually be stereo, dual amp mic'ing etc. But a simple patch with one amp or just a wah or phaser is definitely mono, regardless of if the POD sends you two channels.

It's not a huge issue but if you're using single amps and adding FX (reverb or stereo delay) from the computer I would record it in mono.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/20 10:34:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rezab 2016/08/20 21:34:38
It may seem counter-intuitive, but you will actually achieve greater "stereo-ness" (sense of width, depth and immersion) in a full mix by using mostly mono tracks.

As a general rule, only use stereo tracks when the source demands it. Some examples of where stereo tracks would be preferred:

- full orchestra or choir
- drum overheads
- Leslie speaker
- solo piano
- ensemble miking of acoustical instruments

One common source where it's not always clear which is better, mono or stereo, is synthesizers and sample libraries. That's because most soft synths and samples are stereo by default, and many synth patches rely on stereophonic modulation to make them sound wide. It's tempting to assume that 10 stereo tracks of soft synths will sound really wide and lush - but the opposite is true. Don't assume that because Zebra, Omnisphere or Massive are stereo by default that you should always use their stereo outputs. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
soundtweaker
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1036
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/21 01:17:19 (permalink)
The only time I would record a mono source in stereo like guitars would be if you want a very wide stereo image and you didn't want to do any double tracking. But this only saves a minute of time because you could just bounce down a recorded mono track to stereo to get the same outcome.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/21 05:16:27 (permalink)
I think with synths you can use a similar approach to acoustic instruments.  For example if the synth is doing a bass sound then yes it may not be a great idea to record a really wide stereo patch onto a stereo track.  You also need to investigate what effects are being used also on say a bass patch.  It may sound better with any modulation widening effects removed for example and just recorded onto a mono track. Some synths like the Juno 106 are basically mono except for one effect right at the end of the chain. But it is well worth recording the chorus effect. It is quite unique. As was the ensemble effect in the Roland JP4.

With synth lead sounds mono recording may also apply but then again some leads may sound killer in stereo and it may be well worth recording them that way too.

With mid range sounds eg pads etc then stereo options may be best for sure.  Not all synths rely on modulation effects either in order to create a wide sound.  Some use the concept of stacking say 4 or 6 (or 32 in the case of the new Kurzweils) layers in order to create the stereo imaging.  Layers are panned here there and everywhere.  (in Emulators for example individual voices/layers can be panned or modulated in pan position to create the most sublime effects)

It would be seriously silly to ignore an effect like this and record in mono.  You would just be missing out on a beautiful wide sound for no good reason.

Don't forget you can always record in stereo and use a plugin like Channel Tools to narrow things down or bring back to mono later on if you feel the need. And if things don’t sum well here then you can try manipulating the phase of one side of the stereo while summing to mono. There will be a point where L and R will sum to mono and still sound robust.

Like all things use your ears and judge. If a synth sound sounds magnificent in stereo, record it that way.

Also you can mix multiple stereo synth outputs to create huge wide effects.  What you don't do in these cases is pan every stereo synth output to hard L and hard R.  A good trick is to pan some that way but others from hard L to C and others from C to hard right. Others from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock for example.  There are many ways to combine multiple stereo synth sources.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/08/23 16:04:54

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/21 14:36:43 (permalink)
chuckebaby
Bristol_Jonesey

now this ^^^^ is the way every guitar track should be done if your printing a processed signal.
however... BJ are you using a POD ? we need to talk

Yep. First generation Pod Pro rackmount

I record to Sonar via the Pod's balanced analog outputs, can't be bothered to think about recording digitally

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/08/25 13:36:57 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
There is literally no benefit to recording a mono source in "stereo" (really it's duo mono at this point) since Sonar can still feed it to any effect and make it stereo (if the effect does anything to make it stereo, that is). All you're doing is wasting disk space, speed and processing power.

there is actually some "danger" in recording a mono signal as dual mono to a stereo track ... at some point you might remember that this was actually a mono source and hit the interleave button to set it to be a mono channel and all the sudden the track will be louder by 6 dB ...

Sanderxpander
I think a device like the POD presents a "stereo" signal just because it is too lazy/inconvenient to switch between one channel and L/R depending on which FX are used. Anything with reverb on it will usually be stereo, dual amp mic'ing etc. But a simple patch with one amp or just a wah or phaser is definitely mono, regardless of if the POD sends you two channels.

in Sonar's audio preferences you can select whether you want to see audio interface channels also as mono inputs. when checking that you also get mono channels from POD devices.

Bristol_Jonesey
I record to Sonar via the Pod's balanced analog outputs, can't be bothered to think about recording digitally

me too. since I figured latency of the POD is only about 1.5 ms using the balanced XLR outs is less hassle than using SPDIF and properly syncing that ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/11/06 09:16:33 (permalink)
Hello, just came across this thread.

Simple question here... how do I create a mono audio track or softsynth track?   It seems to always default to a stereo track.

Thank You!
bitflipper
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/11/06 12:02:17 (permalink)
Yes, when you insert an audio track SONAR defaults to stereo. I wish that was an option.

However, until you actually stick in some audio, it's a simple matter to switch the track to mono. There's a mono/stereo interleave selector button in the Track Inspector. Just do it before recording anything to the track.

If the track's being created automatically when you insert a soft synth, and you choose the "first synth output" option, then you will also get a stereo track by default. It's easy enough to change it, though, via the track's Input dropdown list and the aforementioned interleave button.

My Stuff
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/11/06 16:30:15 (permalink)
Depending on soft synth, you may actually want stereo, since most have a truckload of internal processing that relies on a stereo output.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
BASSJOKER
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/11/07 00:14:57 (permalink)
And many FX seem to work better with the stereo interleave button on...(or off??)  I have hit that button after an effect is used at times and the artifacts or results are disturbing at times ....scary moments with phones on at times....lol.   Anyway....I gotta get better with sticking to that habit ya mentioned Bitflip....thx.   ;o)

-Steve

MC7, Lexicon Alpha, Win10,Toshiba,Sat L955,Intel I5 1.7G, 6G Ram, 64 Bit,  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Vox, Ashdown

bitflipper
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/11/07 01:51:53 (permalink)
It's true that some effects (e.g. chorus and reverb) are stereo by nature. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that the source must be stereo.

You can, for example, use a stereo chorus effect on a mono track. SONAR is smart enough to recognize the stereo effect and switch the internal interleave to stereo to accommodate it. Sometimes, though, stereo effects don't handle mono input correctly, in which case you will have to set the track interleave to stereo even though it's mono data.

Confused yet?

My Stuff
BASSJOKER
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/11/25 00:00:14 (permalink)
I believe it was chorus/delay and reverb that got really bizarre at times if I messed with the mono/St interleave after recording with the respective effects.  That is at times as I trial/erred (much more the latter...lol) to see how it would effect the overall sound(effect and placement) in the mix....I have mainly stuck to mono going into most all the plugs I use in the chain.   Its a fun journey...just gotta get used to what works for ya out there and stick to a plan of sorts.  I'm about to really buckle down on the recording process and stick with a method of madness I feel will keep me on the right path.....lol...least that's the "plan".  

-Steve

MC7, Lexicon Alpha, Win10,Toshiba,Sat L955,Intel I5 1.7G, 6G Ram, 64 Bit,  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Vox, Ashdown

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/11/25 22:21:48 (permalink)
Cactus Music
That's right. If the source is mono, record it in mono.
Very few sources are stereo. Mostly outboard synths and guitar processors.
These are stereo and benefit from a stereo recording as that will capture the built in effects etc.
You can actually cause phasing issues with stereo recordings of mono sources.
The other benefit of mono tracks is the ability to pan them in the stereo field. It's a PITA to work with stereo tracks and panning.
And it's certainly easier to look at a mono wave form on the screen and see what's up.

I agree with the above - just want to point out that some drum kit pieces from sample-based drum libraries, such as with Battery 3, ARE stereo samples, where they used a top and a bottom mic on a snare or tom, for instance.  Just take a look at what you are using and set the interleave as needed - mono for mono, and stereo for stereo.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Jeff Evans
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/11/27 03:20:13 (permalink)
A synth maybe a very stereo source even with NO processing involved.  Some synths may be all mono with some sort of chorus or stereo processing just added on at the end.  Sure this may be the case for some but there are some synths out there (hardware and software too) that have like 4 or 6 or in the case of a Kurzweil 32 layers per note. 

And these layers are all panned all over the place.  So even with no processing at the end of the chain the raw sound can be seriously stereo.  (Yamaha SY77 comes to mind. Switch off all the effects and nothing much changes)  Stereo tracks please in these cases.  Use your ears and listen. If you turn all the effects off and the source is still seriously stereo then stereo tracks are the go. 

Panning stereo tracks is not different or harder than mono. Use something like Channel Tools to control where L and R will end up.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/11/27 05:04:17

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/11/27 12:23:58 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

Panning stereo tracks is not different or harder than mono. Use something like Channel Tools to control where L and R will end up.

Why not just use a pan knob Jeff ??

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/11/27 13:10:23 (permalink)
timidi
Jeff Evans

Why not just use a pan knob Jeff ??

Pan knob is just a balance knob for stereo tracks. If you want to actually pan, you need to use Channel Tools or similar. (= If you hard pan a piano stereo track with lows on the left and highs on the right channel, you can never get highs and lows on the same channel.The other channel just gets muted, the audio doesn't cross the middle to either direction)

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Bonzos Ghost
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/12/02 17:17:52 (permalink)
Mono is all you really need for tracking individual instruments & vocals the vast majority of the time...other than drums I suppose - or if you're recording a solo grand piano performance or something along those lines. 
Jeff Evans
Re: Mono vs. Stereo Tracks 2016/12/02 17:32:34 (permalink)
There are times where recording a solo performance in stereo is better and solo piano is one of them. Two mics on a solo piano and there are some good options for doing it. M/S, Blumlein, Near coincident and coincident or even an AB spaced pair under the lid. It is all going to sound much more interesting in the end. With only a solo performer.

A solo instrument such as say sax or clarinet etc could be handled with one microphone on a mono track a certain distance away but then I would back that up with a stereo pair as well capturing from a little further away etc.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1