Helpful ReplyNo Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track

Author
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
2016/08/26 09:52:10 (permalink)

No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track

Ok, so I finally re-tracked the drums after working on the sound for long while.  There's still a lot of reflection in the room and it's going to take more room treatment to improve the sound.  But this is the best I can get right now.  

The last time I posted this I received a lot of feedback on the hot snare.  I've worked on that and it's more difficult than I imagined to lower its volume compared to the toms and bass drum.  It's not totally there, but it's better.  I think the drums, in general, are hot and they are meant to be.  

Turn it up loud...it's rock for crying out loud!   No Offense (The Darkening) Updated 8/29/16

post edited by Voda La Void - 2016/08/29 19:17:02

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/08/26 10:25:27 (permalink)
Man, that snare needs to be a little hotter......I keed, I keeed, keed.

I'm very impressed with your musicianship and songwriting skills......very good stuff Tim.
I listened to this 3x and compared it to the original version on Youtube (glad you kept that up there). I have to say the original version is much more open and better sounding than this one. The newer version seems a bit overly compressed to my ears, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The previous version had more highs and openness to it....which I really like. I would've liked to hear the guitars more up front and the overall drums (ever so slightly) lowered a notch or two.  

Very good stuff you have here......giving it another listen (coz I do like it).    

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
philz
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2462
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/08/26 10:48:01 (permalink)
I didn't hear the original, but this is an impressive tune with impressive musicianship looking to escape from an unimpressive mix.  At times the drums seem to overwhelm the rest of the track.  Also, like Mesh said about the compression.  I'd also suggest getting the vocals up.  I think you've got a winner here... just need to get that mix down.
BASSJOKER
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/08/26 10:49:33 (permalink)
enjoyed it....good tight stuff all around...with my cans (Tascam)...sounds really good and balanced to my liking.   Vocals could come a small amount to the front...though maybe ok on monitos/speakers other than cans.....i gotta try that another time....not setup at moment for that (setting up new studio in a spare bedroom.....lost my bigger space :o( ) 
Thx for share ....

-Steve

MC7, Lexicon Alpha, Win10,Toshiba,Sat L955,Intel I5 1.7G, 6G Ram, 64 Bit,  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Vox, Ashdown

Voda La Void
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/08/26 17:17:19 (permalink)
Mesh
Man, that snare needs to be a little hotter......I keed, I keeed, keed.

I'm very impressed with your musicianship and songwriting skills......very good stuff Tim.
I listened to this 3x and compared it to the original version on Youtube (glad you kept that up there). I have to say the original version is much more open and better sounding than this one. The newer version seems a bit overly compressed to my ears, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The previous version had more highs and openness to it....which I really like. I would've liked to hear the guitars more up front and the overall drums (ever so slightly) lowered a notch or two.  

Very good stuff you have here......giving it another listen (coz I do like it).    

Thanks Mesh.  When you say "much more open" and "more highs and openness to it" are you talking about the drums specifically, or the tune as a whole?  

Because one of things I did, among many, was to narrow the stereo spectrum on the drum track to 50% Left and Right, whereas the original drum track was pushed full 100% L & R.  (I record left and right channels out of the mixer to two mono tracks, one selected on the left channel, the other on the right channel, so I can control the panning).  

I also tried to tame the highs trying to get that hi-hat lowered in the mix - I don't like the hats being as loud as the snare, never have.  

I wonder if that crushed the openness a little bit?  

philz
I didn't hear the original, but this is an impressive tune with impressive musicianship looking to escape from an unimpressive mix.  At times the drums seem to overwhelm the rest of the track.  Also, like Mesh said about the compression.  I'd also suggest getting the vocals up.  I think you've got a winner here... just need to get that mix down.

Much appreciated feedback here.  So I'll work on the mix, take another look at the compression and maybe drop the drums a bit.  I really like a pounding punchy drum drive, but there's always a limit and maybe I've passed it. Thanks, muchly.  

BASSJOKER
enjoyed it....good tight stuff all around...with my cans (Tascam)...sounds really good and balanced to my liking.   Vocals could come a small amount to the front...though maybe ok on monitos/speakers other than cans.....i gotta try that another time....not setup at moment for that (setting up new studio in a spare bedroom.....lost my bigger space :o( ) 
Thx for share ....

Thanks for listening and commenting.  I do trend toward buried vocals.  

Voda La Void
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/08/29 19:03:30 (permalink)
Updated mix, thanks for the feedback. 

Widened the stereo spectrum on the drums and backed off on the compression and this did a lot for the mix, I think.  Not sure I have the mix down to philz's expectation but this is the best my ears can do. 

BASSJOKER
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/08/29 19:50:14 (permalink)
Even better now....after 2nd listen of V2 .... my vote is I think its complete  :o)....an awesome song man....really dig it ....reminds me of earlier days ...good stuff....great job...thx ! 

-Steve

MC7, Lexicon Alpha, Win10,Toshiba,Sat L955,Intel I5 1.7G, 6G Ram, 64 Bit,  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Vox, Ashdown

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/08/30 09:17:24 (permalink)
Voda La Void

Thanks Mesh.  When you say "much more open" and "more highs and openness to it" are you talking about the drums specifically, or the tune as a whole?  

Both.......the tune and drums aren't as "squashed" in V1 and seems to "breathe" a lot easier (BTW, I'm listening through h-phones). I'm still liking your V1 over V2 (I'm comparing with both videos open and alternating playing one at a time).
Also Tim, at the 38 sec mark and around 2:20, that little guitar part seems to be a bit louder than the rest of the mix.

Not taking anything away from this (IMO) really good song/performance and this is all just my subjective opinion. Good stuff!! Enjoyed it again this morning......with a cup of coffee. :)  

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/08/30 12:10:22 (permalink)
Well done! Love the mid-rangy lightly-distorted vocals. I had a hard time hearing the kick, though. The bass also gets a bit lost in places, too. And I'm listening on bass-hyped ATH-M50s. Knock 2-3dB off the snare and pull up the kick by the same amount. Just nit-picks, though. Good production overall.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/08/31 18:06:48 (permalink)
listening on my 2in1 and it sounds good. cool arrangements,

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
Voda La Void
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/09/07 08:33:16 (permalink)
bitflipper
Well done! Love the mid-rangy lightly-distorted vocals. I had a hard time hearing the kick, though. The bass also gets a bit lost in places, too. And I'm listening on bass-hyped ATH-M50s. Knock 2-3dB off the snare and pull up the kick by the same amount. Just nit-picks, though. Good production overall.

Those are great nit-picks though.  I just couldn't get the snare drum volume down - it bleeds over the other mic's and refuses to go quietly!  The bass though...we can always add more bass.  

Glad you liked it.  Honestly I was a bit surprised.  I've been fighting this mix for a while now.  

mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/09/07 16:56:54 (permalink)
listened to the mix the link points too...

the tune is friggin' amazing dude. Like Ghost meets Vektor with Twisted Tower Dire in the background.
the recording is OK-ish
the finished sound is poor although the mix is excellent. is it in mono? damn this song is f'ing good it needs a better sound. send it to me or Danny Danzi to make it sound immense!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
Voda La Void
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/09/12 14:50:04 (permalink)
Mesh
Voda La Void

Both.......the tune and drums aren't as "squashed" in V1 and seems to "breathe" a lot easier (BTW, I'm listening through h-phones). I'm still liking your V1 over V2 (I'm comparing with both videos open and alternating playing one at a time).
Also Tim, at the 38 sec mark and around 2:20, that little guitar part seems to be a bit louder than the rest of the mix.

Not taking anything away from this (IMO) really good song/performance and this is all just my subjective opinion. Good stuff!! Enjoyed it again this morning......with a cup of coffee. :)  

Thanks for clarifying.  I can't explain it.  The only track I changed was the drum track.  Glad you enjoyed it, regardless.  

Voda La Void
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/09/12 14:55:18 (permalink)
mgh
listened to the mix the link points too...

the tune is friggin' amazing dude. Like Ghost meets Vektor with Twisted Tower Dire in the background.
the recording is OK-ish
the finished sound is poor although the mix is excellent. is it in mono? damn this song is f'ing good it needs a better sound. send it to me or Danny Danzi to make it sound immense!

I would love to!  How do I go about this?  The project is done in Home Studio II, kind of a relic bit of software for Cakewalk.  And I run it on XP.  Quite primitive...

Thanks for the comments mgh.  

jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/09/12 17:40:00 (permalink)
Great track, well played. Something is way over compressed (bass maybe, can't put my finger on it). Sounds like most sections are pinned red line.
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/09/13 18:10:35 (permalink)
Listened 2 times :) Great song! Do you have a link to more of your works? 

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
Walt Collins
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1054
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/09/13 19:06:51 (permalink)
This has a lot of potential.  Maybe there's some over-EQ-ing going on, especially in the vox and maybe guitars too?  Also, the drums seem a bit, not sure, sloppy in spots?  Sure, it's a complex rhythm, but not sure all the drum hits are hitting at just the right moment.

The song idea is bold and brilliant and spooky.

Walt Collins - Downtempo & Ambient
Bandcamp: https://waltcollins.bandcamp.com (FREE downloads),  SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/arcanor
blog: "Seeking Enlightenment Through Electronic Music" - http://waltcollins.com/music
I use Ableton, NI, AAS, Arturia, Spectrasonics, Cakewalk, Akai, Yamaha, Fender, Sony, Waves
Windows 10, Tannoy, KRK, dbx DriveRack
Jesse Screed
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1158
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/09/14 14:16:30 (permalink)
Yes, excellent effort, way more complex than anything I could pull off.  I really like it.  I did listen to V1 also, and have to agree with Mesh, it is more open. 

Maybe you did on V2 what I do sometimes.  I listen to peoples suggestions, and then I swing way to far in that direction.  I think the answer may be more in the middle of the two. 

Yes, V1, is the one I like the best, but V2 is also a solid effort.

I am impressed at the complexity of it all.  Nice, very nice.

Jesse Q. Screed
skinnybones lampshade
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/09/14 20:22:58 (permalink)
Wow, are you ever talented! I liked just about everything about this .... the songwriting, the singing, the genre, the twists ... I thoroughly enjoyed the entire song. Colour me very impressed! 

LJ
Kostas11
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/11/06 03:55:45 (permalink)
Hi, very good song! I posted some time ago in your "Anymore" song but had to create 'new' Cakewalk account. Really good musical moves in this song.
How came that you aren't signed to a label? Or you don't want to? But frankly I don't know if you perform at the audiences.
Firesong X
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/11/06 08:57:03 (permalink)
Great song! I especially liked the vocal and the drums.

John
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/12/27 20:34:39 (permalink)
Cool tune!!  Great guitar work, blend of electric and acoustic.  Like the composition and mix!

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

Voda La Void
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2016/12/28 10:34:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2018/04/02 12:28:47
11Dreams
Listened 2 times :) Great song! Do you have a link to more of your works? 

I don't have anything else like this one, really.  I just recently secured an acoustic drum kit and this is the first execution recording with it. This is the opener.  I really want to dive into this progressive phase I'm feeling.  I'll have more...

Walt Collins
This has a lot of potential.  Maybe there's some over-EQ-ing going on, especially in the vox and maybe guitars too?  Also, the drums seem a bit, not sure, sloppy in spots?  Sure, it's a complex rhythm, but not sure all the drum hits are hitting at just the right moment.

The song idea is bold and brilliant and spooky.

Yeah, I'm sloppy still.  I have a lot of rust to knock off to bring the fluidity back.  I went 25 or so years without playing drums and now I'm rediscovering percussion.  I have different percussive interests too so I'm playing very differently than I did in my teens.  And the drummer in my head really puts me to work trying to record this stuff outside of my head, ha ha.  

Anyway, I'm practicing and will re-track the drums yet one more time....

Jesse Screed
Yes, excellent effort, way more complex than anything I could pull off.  I really like it.  I did listen to V1 also, and have to agree with Mesh, it is more open. 

Maybe you did on V2 what I do sometimes.  I listen to peoples suggestions, and then I swing way to far in that direction.  I think the answer may be more in the middle of the two. 

Yes, V1, is the one I like the best, but V2 is also a solid effort.

I am impressed at the complexity of it all.  Nice, very nice.

Jesse Q. Screed

I found out what happened with the "open" sound disappearing on the re-track.  My Onyx mixer is a little old, has a few leaky caps at this point, I'm sure.  Anyway, the pan on one of the overheads wasn't panning - it was sending audio right up the middle. Also, I narrowed the panning in Cakewalk from 100% L and R to 50% L and R.  I think that narrowed the image and ruined the openness achieved the first time through.

Anyways...I've got a workaround for the mixer panning issue, and I'm widening the track panning back to 100%.  It will be a few months yet, but once I feel really good about playing this one with more precision and fluidity I will re-track for the final time, with a good open drum sound.  

Thanks all for listening!  I was shocked to see this song back in circulation here...

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2018/03/31 01:24:52 (permalink)
A well deserved bump. This is awesome. Love your voice and the processing of it. You need to post some more stuff brother. Please.
Voda La Void
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2018/04/02 14:28:27 (permalink)
Leadfoot
A well deserved bump. This is awesome. Love your voice and the processing of it. You need to post some more stuff brother. Please.

Well this caught me by surprise, thanks man.  I am actually on a practicing binge right now on guitar and drums.  I'm trying to take things up a notch, going for a pure audio recording approach.  It will be a few more months, but hopefully will be worth it.  

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: No Offense (The Darkening) - Drum Re-track 2019/01/15 22:43:42 (permalink)
Bump!
Still think this is bad ass Voda!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1