Helpful ReplyGuide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/05/03 09:33:12 (permalink)
cecelius2
Just found a way to print the actual chord notes on the piano roll in the midi track when in chord mode and using chord presets.  

Thanks, I was rather hoping others would join in and post their tips and findings.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/05/08 12:53:16 (permalink)
We're predominantly leechers here, I'm afraid, but we love what you're doing, Glyn. Thank you!

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
thepianist65
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 644
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/05/09 10:19:09 (permalink)
Wow, this is fascinating stuff, I hope to get an S61 someday.k

www.davemaffris.com
 BLUES:
https://www.facebook.com/coastalblueband1/

https://www.facebook.com/Midiexpert/?ref=hl
Please feel free to check out my music, all made with Cakewalk, available on itunes, Amazon, Google, Rdio, etc., etc.
For mostly jazzy stuff on Soundcloud at these locations:
https://soundcloud.com/dave-maffris
or for some different styles of music(pop/rock/covers):
https://soundcloud.com/dmpianoman
Tidewater Jazz page:
https://soundcloud.com/user-84355115

Ripwolf
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 162
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/05/12 22:32:59 (permalink)
Thanks for the info Glyn (and everyone else!). My S25 just arrived today and this thread has been really great. Would have sprung for the larger keyboard had the $$ allowed but since I have a full keyboard placed directly below it I'll be able to use the S25 features and reach down to the 88 for playing wider parts. Looks like it'll be a late night digging in! 

ripwagner.com.
Sonar Platinum Lifetime.Windows 10 64-bit,AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 8400, 2 monitors, Focusrite 2i4, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Console 1 mkII, Maschine Mikro MK2, Maschine Jam,, Komplete Kontroll S 25, Akai Advance 49,  Casio Privia PX-150, Mackie 1202, Line 6 POD, Vox Tonelab le, Komplete 10 Ultimate, East/West Composer cloud . Ez Drummer 2 and Superior Drummer 3, Assorted collection of acoustic, electric guitars and basses and amps.

SGodfrey
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/05/25 11:14:33 (permalink)
Glyn,
Thanks for all the fantastic information you've provided, you've been very generous with your time and knowledge.
Have you found any way to use the KK rotary controllers outside of the Komplete Kontrol VST software (with Z3ta for instance)?
I was rather hoping that AZ Controller from AZSlow might do the trick but it doesn't seem to detect any midi signals from the rotaries, so you can't make any mapping.

Sonar Platinum x64
Cakewalk UA-25EX
Asus X556UA-DM898T i7-7500U 8GB 1TB, Windows 10 Home
Komplete 11 Ultimate, Kontrol S49, Maschine Jam, Mikro mk2, Arturia V Collection 4
Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/05/25 17:57:44 (permalink)
SGodfrey
Have you found any way to use the KK rotary controllers outside of the Komplete Kontrol VST software (with Z3ta for instance)?
In theory you should just be able to use MIDI learn as you would with any other MIDI controller. Remember to enable write automation on the VSTi. You should not need to go via the AZ controller.

If I get a chance I will try this out tomorrow.

Z3ta is one synth I have yet to make a Komplete Kontrol template for. There are so many parameters organising the mapping is daunting.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
SGodfrey
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/05/25 18:20:08 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
SGodfrey
In theory you should just be able to use MIDI learn as you would with any other MIDI controller. Remember to enable write automation on the VSTi. You should not need to go via the AZ controller.

Z3ta is one synth I have yet to make a Komplete Kontrol template for. There are so many parameters organising the mapping is daunting.

Hi Glyn
Thanks for getting back to me.  I just wanted to clarify whether you are always using the Komplete Kontrol vst software whenever you use the keyboard?
For instance, are you able to load up an instance of Massive direct into Sonar (without the KK VST) and use the rotaries?

Sonar Platinum x64
Cakewalk UA-25EX
Asus X556UA-DM898T i7-7500U 8GB 1TB, Windows 10 Home
Komplete 11 Ultimate, Kontrol S49, Maschine Jam, Mikro mk2, Arturia V Collection 4
Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/05/26 08:32:55 (permalink)
SGodfrey
Glyn Barnes
SGodfrey

Hi Glyn
Thanks for getting back to me.  I just wanted to clarify whether you are always using the Komplete Kontrol vst software whenever you use the keyboard?
For instance, are you able to load up an instance of Massive direct into Sonar (without the KK VST) and use the rotaries?

I just checked Z3ta+ and Massive in in both cases I was able to use MIDI learn to map and control a knob to a parameter. You just right click on the knob you want to control, then turn the relevant knob to link them just as you would with most keyboard controlers.
You do not get the automatic mapping of parameters and the parameter lables you would see if you are using the synth in the Komplet Kontrol software. Certainly for any NKS complient synth, like Massive I would recommend using it in the KK plugin as it saves manual mapping. Also making templates for you non NKS synths can be a big time saver as they load in the KK plugin with the parameters ready assigned, no need to use MIDI learn on each instance.
post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2016/05/26 15:53:06

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/05/26 11:29:20 (permalink)
Ac ouple more things about using the NI keyboards without the KK Software. In Komplete Kontrol you havd 128 possible encoder assignments, in straight MIDI mode this reduces to 16, however if you are having to assign by MIDI learn 16 is probably enough!

In the controler editor software you can assign MIDI cc to the 16 available encoders. By default they are assigned 14 through to 29 but you can make it what you want and save it as a configuration. You can also set up key zones for each configuration that will be lit in different colours on the keyboard. There seems to be a limitation on the number of zones but for most purposes it is plenty. The only time I ran out was trying to make a setup for Superior Drummer where all snares were one colour, all kicks an other etc. etc. This is because so many zones are needed because kit pieces are not always adjacent. for example the Hi-Hats fall between the toms.

NI drum products are set up this colourcoding via Komplet Kontrol and it a major advantage IMHO.

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/06/07 09:14:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cecelius2 2016/06/07 23:44:18
I found out something new today. (Its probably in the manual somewhere.)

If you are using the keyboard in normal MIDI mode the patch scroll buttons will take you through any keyboard templates you have set up in the controler editor. I had created several for EastWest products that rely heavily on keyswitches but are not NKS compliant so the light guide displays the keyswitch zones on the keyboard. Very useful!

frankjcc
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 383
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/06/15 17:49:26 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
Ac ouple more things about using the NI keyboards without the KK Software. In Komplete Kontrol you havd 128 possible encoder assignments, in straight MIDI mode this reduces to 16, however if you are having to assign by MIDI learn 16 is probably enough!

I'm sure you may have figured this out by now but you can add more pages in regular midi mode, you can then change the cc values to keep things in order, and then can change some knobs to program change mode.  In this thread at AZslow's site I started a thread on my desires.  http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,303.0.html it shows how I set up the program change and why

Sonar platinum (life)
Scarlett 18i20  2nd gen
Intel i7 7700k 4.2ghz  16gig ram
Geforce GTX 550 ti
Win 10 Pro 64
Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/06/17 10:50:39 (permalink)
frankjcc
I'm sure you may have figured this out by now but you can add more pages in regular midi mode, you can then change the cc values to keep things in order, and then can change some knobs to program change mode.  In this thread at AZslow's site I started a thread on my desires.  http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,303.0.html it shows how I set up the program change and why

I had not worked that out yet, thanks!

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/08/29 08:52:19 (permalink)
Glyn,

Thanks to your trailblazing, I have just spent the weekend getting an S88 up and running with Sonar. FWIW, the AZControl plugin works very well with this keyboard. I'm using the IQP Mackie Variant preset and the transport buttons work as they would in other DAW's, with lights and all. I posted a question to Aleksy at AZSlow and he said he would make a special KK preset for the DAW transports without the added stuff in the IQP preset. That should make it easier for us to remap the transport controls to do other things but, for now, I'm pretty happy with the default mappings...except for the Loop button.

Like you, for now I am not mapping the rotary encoders because I am leery of having conflicts with the nks mappings, though I would love it if it were possible to use the giant rotary button to navigate tracks in Sonar, it doesn't look like it is exposed.

The keybed on this controller is very nice, and the light guide is awesome.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/08/29 14:36:52 (permalink)
Hi Dan,
Since I have written yesterday that I have no time these days, you probably have not checked my site today. I have created the preset MackieTransport.
Mackie Control unit has 2 "loop" buttons: one is "loop" and another "loop on/off". The first is changing FF/Rewind action, so I assume NK imitates this button, not "Loop on/off". I have defined Stop/RTZ for it.
I have also prepared track changing control, but it is not mapped to any hardware encoder. Also that track changing does not "deep integrate" NK into Sonar, it will change focused track in Sonar but it will not change the instance of synth (as I understand, that is what "supported" DAWs have).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
dcumpian
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/08/30 08:33:15 (permalink)
azslow3
Hi Dan,
Since I have written yesterday that I have no time these days, you probably have not checked my site today. I have created the preset MackieTransport.

Thanks!
azslow3
Mackie Control unit has 2 "loop" buttons: one is "loop" and another "loop on/off". The first is changing FF/Rewind action, so I assume NK imitates this button, not "Loop on/off". I have defined Stop/RTZ for it.

The default functionality is that when "Loop" is enabled, pressing either Rewind or FastForward does RTZ but keeps on playing. Thanks for adding the option to RTZ and Stop.

azslow3
I have also prepared track changing control, but it is not mapped to any hardware encoder. Also that track changing does not "deep integrate" NK into Sonar, it will change focused track in Sonar but it will not change the instance of synth (as I understand, that is what "supported" DAWs have).

Yes, you are correct. the "deep integration" simply means that the DAW tells Komplete Kontrol that the track AND instance have changed. Us Sonar folk have to change the instance manually, but track changes still work as in any midi controller. This only matters on tracks where you want to load your VSTi in KK. I posted more info on your site yesterday on how NI surfaces the midi controls. I'll experiment with your preset in a few days and post back the results on your site.

Thanks again!
Dan

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/10/17 09:03:55 (permalink)
Glyn - Thank you for posting all of this great info.  I've been in a loop on keyboard selection for a while.  This info makes the Kontrol a real contender as I've been wanting to pick up Komplete too.

((my short list also includes the Akai Advance, and giving up deep integration altogether with an FA06))

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/08 13:11:37 (permalink)
Hi, Glyn... love the effort you've put into describing the ins and outs of NI's kbd... I'm trying to decide on this right now... frustrated that all the quality 88s are weighted, although the new Nektar LX-88+ looks like it might do the trick.  However I already have an old lx-61, which gives me a good selection of sliders, sonar transport controls, and rotories/pads/buttons.

So after reading your thread I'm again considering the NI S-61, as I can use the LX for the lower registers/key switches/controllers.   I'm particularly interested in it because of the light guide... Using things like Sonokenetics phrase libs or Orange tree guitar libs it seems like the light guide would provide much better visual cues on how things are set up.

I would really appreciate yours and others thoughts on the value of the light guide.  As a singer/songwriter, my keyboard chops suck enough without stumbling around trying to remember where one facit of a vst ends and another begins and it just seems like this is the most brilliant aspect of the Kontrol keyboards from my non-user vantage point.  Lots of companies are adopting the nks format so this would seem to continue to grow as a visual cue which I will benefit from.  However, if it really is just a gimmick of little value (doubt that, but wtf, gotta ask), it'd b nice to know

Just last week I was all set to jump on the new LX-88+ but now I'm rethinking things, from a user perspective.  Don't mind having two keyboards stacked...

Thanks again for all the effort you've put into this thread and for the contribution of others to this wealth of insight.

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Fleer
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/08 15:17:25 (permalink)
Much more than a gimmick, that light guide, really. Check out the vids on this. It even works well with the new Kontakt look. This said, I went for the 49-keys one. Compact and handy. Anyway, 61 should be good too. Tried the 88-keys version, but found it too big, heavy and not handy at all. Then the LX would be better indeed.

Vastman
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/08 15:22:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fleer 2016/11/08 15:24:05
Fleer to Dana:  "spend ur money"  We seem to do this to each other a lot!  
Seriously, do you find it really helps in just sitting down and writing more intuitively?  Seems it should (always found the Kontakt keyboard a clugy way to work)  but u guys have um... for the keyswitching and all?  It's only a few hundred more than the new LX-88+ and I'm sure holiday sales might be around the corner... I'm about vst'd out so time for ssd's and other hardware considerations...

Dana
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Fleer
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/08 15:28:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vastman 2016/11/08 16:50:01
As for me, yes Dana, I wouldn't hesitate, also for NKS compatibility. That and light guide would be more than sufficient reasons to get this keyboard. On the other hand, I also love my Nektar P6, with some great integration, particularly with Propellerhead Reason. So that's my main controller set up: Kontrol S49 and Nektar P6. I also use Alesis 88 and a number of M-Audio, Korg, CME and Line6 ones.
Please bear in mind that I'm not a keyboard player, I play the flute. Oh yeah.
As for SSD, I go with  T1 and T3 from Samsung. Never go up in flames.

ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/09 09:15:47 (permalink)
The lightguide is a godsend when working with keyswitches!! I had no idea until I started using it. There's no guessing anymore.

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
BobF
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/09 09:37:16 (permalink)
Do you non-key players ever wish you had gone with the 88 instead of the 61?  All of this talk is making me think K88+K11

I've been thinking 61 as a step up from the 49 I have now, but I wonder if I shouldn't bite the bullet and go straight to 88 to prevent future key-count envy.

Bob  --
--

Vastman
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/09 10:23:49 (permalink)
That's why I've been thinking of the lx 88+. However I'll have two ands I can layer. Weighted action sucks for non piano players... And 88s are usually weighted

Dana
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/09 10:32:26 (permalink)
If I was a pianoplayer I would have bought the 88. Hands down. And since I am so happy with this system, sometime in the future I might get the 88 just because I love weighted keys. However, my piano skills is quite crap and I have my 61 on my desk in front of my computer so it would be total overkill now.

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
dcumpian
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/09 10:46:17 (permalink)
I have the S88 and I wouldn't want anything smaller. Moving octaves up and down all the time is a time/creativity killer to me.

Regards,
Dan

My music:
Fleer
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/09 13:56:42 (permalink)
dcumpian
I have the S88 and I wouldn't want anything smaller. Moving octaves up and down all the time is a time/creativity killer to me.

Regards,
Dan

The main reason why I didn't go for the S88 was its heavy action, as I prefer synth keys.

BobF
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/09 14:37:45 (permalink)
I wish there was a synth action S88 ...

Akai Advance is the same.  Weighted keys for their 88

Bob  --
--

dcumpian
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/09 14:50:14 (permalink)
Fleer
dcumpian

Regards,
Dan

The main reason why I didn't go for the S88 was its heavy action, as I prefer synth keys.

It took some getting used to, coming from a Triton. But I love the action now. I find it much easier to control my dynamics.

Regards,
Dan

My music:
Vastman
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/09 21:44:25 (permalink)
BobF

Bob... Akai does NOT yet have an Advance 88... I'm pretty active on their forums and have been hawking for a year about the need for a synth action advance 88... lots of folks agree over there. Long discussions... but nothings been revealed yet... unless you have a super secret link...???  Hope not... want a better Nektar lx 88+

The new nektar appears to be the best unit out there right now, and it works nicely with sonar...  I have the older version and it's good but my sweetwater dude says the + is a big improvment (and $320)

Gonna get a K 61... love the light guide... will use my nektar for the other keys/transport/faders... no switching

Dana
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
BobF
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/11/10 08:48:40 (permalink)
Vastman
BobF

Bob... Akai does NOT yet have an Advance 88... I'm pretty active on their forums and have been hawking for a year about the need for a synth action advance 88... lots of folks agree over there. Long discussions... but nothings been revealed yet... unless you have a super secret link...???  Hope not... want a better Nektar lx 88+

The new nektar appears to be the best unit out there right now, and it works nicely with sonar...  I have the older version and it's good but my sweetwater dude says the + is a big improvment (and $320)

Gonna get a K 61... love the light guide... will use my nektar for the other keys/transport/faders... no switching

My bad ... sorry if I confused anybody.  I typed Advance but was thinking Roland FA.  If there was an Advance or Kontrol with 88 synth keys the deed would prolly already be done.

Bob  --
--

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1