Helpful ReplyHelp - How Do Your Organize Your Projects?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/12 13:18:45 (permalink)
I have a folder for each album, and a folder for ideas in progress.  Any external artist would have a folder.

I don't use Years because honestly that would not help me find anything.  I wouldn't remember which year something was started.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/13 07:53:57 (permalink)
Harddrive is divided into several partitions with each partition holding one genre and labeled as such. Within that genre partition, each project (song) has it's own folder. Within that folder resides the cwp, wav, mp3, and txt files associated with it. It also contains it's very own Audio folder and "Ideas" folder for storing recorded ideas. This way everything associated with a song is in one place.

There is also a "main" partition for general files and info on software and hardware used in the studio. Each partition is 100GB.

HDD
[partition 1] MAIN (T:)
>Studio
>Equipment
>Albums
>Archives
>Programs
>Downloads
>Samples
>SF Banks
>Sonar (installation & downloaded files)
>etc.

[partition 2] C&W (U:)
>Song 1
  >Audio
  >Ideas
>Song 2
  >Audio
  >Ideas
>etc.

[partition 3] ROCK (V:)
>Song 1
  >Audio
  >Ideas
>Song 2
  >Audio
  >Ideas
>etc.

This HDD resides inside a laptop which goes wherever I go. I also keep a duplicate copy on a 2nd drive for backup.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/13 13:04:25 (permalink)
I'm curious why you create partitions for the different genres instead of creating folders for different genres. Does it have anything to do with technical reasons like block size, or you just happen to prefer that kind of organization?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
soens
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/13 17:09:57 (permalink)
It just helps to keep things simple and efficient for me & the computer. The HD is data exclusive to the DAW. It's like each category has it's own HD which makes the OS find things faster since windows likes to spread file bits all over the place. It also makes it easier for me to navigate through projects and defragging is more efficient. Defragging is almost never needed in this case. Also, should one partition go crappy-wappy I've not lost the whole shebang.

There's also a CACHE partition where global Audio Data & Picture Cache files reside. This makes it easier to clean & keeps the OS drive free of expanding clutter.
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/13 19:04:13 (permalink)
Really very sorry to hear your sad he's Bitflipper...

I'm sure your new rig will be great, but I'm sad at all the lost music and years of work.

I'll be hoping something really good is about to happen for you to counter balance this tragedy!

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/13 20:26:00 (permalink)
Thanks, Keni. Yeh, maybe those lotto investments are about to pay off.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/13 21:14:00 (permalink)
soens
It just helps to keep things simple and efficient for me & the computer. The HD is data exclusive to the DAW. It's like each category has it's own HD which makes the OS find things faster since windows likes to spread file bits all over the place. It also makes it easier for me to navigate through projects and defragging is more efficient. Defragging is almost never needed in this case. Also, should one partition go crappy-wappy I've not lost the whole shebang.

There's also a CACHE partition where global Audio Data & Picture Cache files reside. This makes it easier to clean & keeps the OS drive free of expanding clutter.

Thank you for the detailed response, that makes a lot of sense. This thread has been really helpful to me.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/13 22:23:36 (permalink)
soens

That seems like a good idea. On our family computer I used to have a dedicated partition for Temporary Internet Files for similar reasons, i.e. expanding clutter and wild fragmentation. It was not on the same physical drive as the o/s.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
soens
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/14 02:21:44 (permalink)
I actually put the OS on one drive or partion and the Documents folder on another. Same reasoning as for the DAW. I've just done it that way ever since I started building my own systems years ago.
soens
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/14 02:24:42 (permalink)
bitflipper

Yikes! It's one thing when thieves break in and take yer money. But now yer jest givin' it to 'em.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/14 09:48:06 (permalink)
soens
bitflipper

Yikes! It's one thing when thieves break in and take yer money. But now yer jest givin' it to 'em.

I was just kidding. I never buy lottery tickets. I agree with Bill Nye's definition of the lottery as "a tax on people with bad math".

On a tangential but relevant topic, building a new DAW has given me the opportunity to re-think how I organize sample libraries. The obvious method would be by instrument category, e.g. strings, pianos and percussion. But what do you do with all the collections that don't fall neatly into any one category? Where does a glass marimba go, or a carillon? 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/14 12:54:18 (permalink)
bitflipper

Sorry to be off topic for a moment, but I will gladly share my PCH winnings with you if I win!

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/18 07:56:50 (permalink)
My first thoughts on enhanced startup screen:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Enhanced-start-page-in-development-what-do-you-feel-should-be-there-m3229584.aspx

And one could pickup some things from Cubase MediaBay, like rating of files(5 levels) which can be used as differentiating between which stage projects are in. Then you won't have to bother where on disk they are - more like setting a number of search paths where to look, and then ability to filter on category or just rating you gave it.
-embryo
-mixing
-mastering
-done
etc
Or any other way you feel like handling it.

They overworked it a bit in Cubase I think, difficult to grasp everything it can handle  but very flexible as such.
But something like a ProjectBay maybe in Sonar with similar abilites - maybe incorporated in startup screen - and some presets to quickly filter out what you want to see.

Depending on what I feel like working on a day,  to finalize a mix or just work on song embryos. To be able to categorize and filter out easily - yes, that one I didn't work on for a while.
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/18 12:26:52 (permalink)
Mine is by project type, then album (for those who remember what that is), then song. But, I realize I've broken this rule a lot. Soundtrack stuff is in a "Soundtracks" and then broken out. I use a pretty big "MISC" folder for stuff, one-offs and the like. I also keep a "New ****" AND a "Totes Random" folder around for messing around before it gets relocated based on what it turns out to be.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2016/09/18 13:14:45 (permalink)
I don't know how you guys manage it. After 2 or 3 albums, my hard drive is full.

So I move completed (Completed?!? Joy!!!) material to external hard drives.

I make 3 copies to hard drives from different manufacturers for added safety, and label them.

As storage technology advances, I aggregate old drives onto larger ones. .
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2018/02/20 13:51:15 (permalink)
I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't see starting a new one.  Ready to do some clean up and organization before moving all this to the new DAW machine.

Cactus Music
A picture would be easier to understand. 

I have a  1 TB data drive for all my Studio files, there are other data drives for back up etc. 
The studio data drive is what I point Sonar to always open and save to. Wave Lab also works from there. 

There are 20 or so main folders at the top of the tree. Some of these are what I call Album folders. They are named for either a band, solo artist , originals and the biggest one is all my solo performance backing track project files. 
These folders are dedicated to either Sonar projects, mix down files or live stereo recordings. 

The Sonar "album" folders contain a folder for each song on the album. in that folder is everything to do with that song, CWP, MID, lyrics, mp3 of original cover tune or rough demo. but  minus the stereo mixdown which I keep in their own top of the tree folder. Within the mixdown folders you'll find a WAVE and a MP3 folder of the album. 

2 Questions...1st, trying to understand how Sonar is finding audio files associated with a CWP file.  I, too, set my global audio folder to my studio data drive audio folder established during the Home Studio II days.  But when I attempt to open and then save those files under X1, Sonar likes to create a new audio folder per project.  So...it's not using the studio data drive audio folder for that song anymore, I guess.  So what's the really the point of having a global audio folder if Cakewalk doesn't intend to ever use it?  

2nd, I love the idea of per song folders with all associated files, including its own audio folder.  Is there any consequence to system performance when burying the audio files several levels from the root?  I'm thinking  D/Cakewalk Projects/Album 1/Song 1/Audio Folder.  I like that structure, just don't want to degrade audio performance when I go to record.   

Bristol_Jonesey

Nesting never goes beyond 4 levels, including Root

Just curious, why?  Similar to my question above, does it have anything to do with degrading PC performance?

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2018/02/20 14:45:08 (permalink)
I have always assumed that cwp files are using relative pointers (i.e., where the audio file sits relative to the cwp, e.g. one directory down, in the "Audio" folder). The Global Audio folder still exists for projects started with no name given (for that it is still "required" since there is no project folder (yet)), or where per project audio is not used. From an organizational perspective, per project is far easier to manage and find over global audio. Back in the old days, the global audio folder was a mess... not only was everything in there, but they all had cryptic names to them as well if you just let CW name them for you.

The system isn't going to perform quicker either way, that is solely dependant on the drive seek times and where data is located. Your OS drive is pulling data from all over the disk most of its life.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2018/02/20 17:21:50 (permalink)
I'm not burying audio files very deep at all. Only 3 folders deep. It would look like this 
CWP-Solo Act----------------
                     ------ Proud Mary
                                         ------------  Audio 

Sonar is set to open at the ROOT of my DATA drive which is a 240 SSD labeled Sonar Data ( G) 
I've changed a little bit since this thread was started but it's still the same system. 
Because it is a smaller drive now I have all old stuff stored to the original working drive a 3rd 1 TB.  I only keep active projects on the Sonar Data drive so there's been lots of room so far. 

I've also started using One Drive as my working folder and the Sonar data drive is sort of the local back up. 
At this point the One drive folder is on C drive but these are 100% midi projects at this point. When I get to the audio recording I will use the local G drive only. Audio would choke the internet. 

But my new naming system is simple, This is what you see at the root of the G drive. 

CWP- Solo act
CWP- Originals
CWP- Uncle Ruckle Band. 
Then there are a few other folders 
MIDI files
WAVE- Solo act
WAVE-Originals
WAVE- Uncle Ruckle Band 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2018/02/21 04:39:13 (permalink)
Badly lol. I have 3 hard drives, two back ups and an SSD drive for working off. All my back up drives use a year designate and the individual compositions are labelled accordingly. I'm in the process of creating a third portable backup as well, because 20 gig folders aren't practical for up-loading to the cloud.

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2018/02/22 02:35:13 (permalink)
THambrecht
With Numbers 00001 ... 19496 instead of projects names. And a database (Access) that contains all informations.

Wow, I like this method. I believe I will use it to manage my mess strung out over two computers and three hard drive.
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Help - How Do Your Organize Your Projects? 2018/02/22 13:11:20 (permalink)
Funny this thread has just been resurrected - today I set up a method of syncing my two main DAW pc's so my projects are available on both, as well as having a cloud backup.

Currently I've got 4 folders that are different from the standard Sonar ones:
E:\TEMPLATES
E:\SEQUENCE  [ contains old .wrk files as well as newer .cwp files ]
E:\PICTURE [picture cache]
E:\WAVEDATA  [ set as my global audio folder as my .wav file folder for older cwp files]

I've now got a new folder E:\Projects which has copies of these folders (using the batch files described later on)

What I did:
1. Set up an account with Mega.nz ('cos you get 50GB free)
2. Set MegaSync to sync the E:\Projects folder to/from the cloud

The reason for having a copy of the folders is so Mega doesn't try to sync my main WAVEDATA/SEQUENCE folders while Sonar is writing to them - this would be BAD, and no doubt crash Sonar.

I've got two batch files:

CopyToMega.bat
ROBOCOPY E:\SEQUENCE E:\Projects\SEQUENCE *.* /S /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT
ROBOCOPY E:\PICTURE E:\Projects\PICTURE *.* /S /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT
ROBOCOPY E:\TEMPLATES E:\Projects\TEMPLATES *.* /S /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT
ROBOCOPY E:\WAVEDATA E:\Projects\WAVEDATA *.* /S /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT

CopyFromMega.bat
ROBOCOPY E:\Projects\SEQUENCE E:\SEQUENCE *.* /S /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT
ROBOCOPY E:\Projects\PICTURE E:\PICTURE *.* /S /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT
ROBOCOPY E:\Projects\TEMPLATES E:\TEMPLATES *.* /S /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT
ROBOCOPY E:\Projects\WAVEDATA E:\WAVEDATA *.* /S /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT

The /COPYALL option ensures all file attributes are preserved (like Last Date Modified etc), and /DCOPY:DAT does the same for directories. The /S option just means copy all the subdirectories too.

I created shortcuts to these on my desktop, so I can run them as Administrator - this is needed in order for all the the above options to work.

Now when I start a session, I run CopyFromMega to get all my latest projects.

When I've finished, I run CopyToMega and my new material gets copied to the Projects folder and synced to the cloud.

Obviously the first run takes a while, but running the two sync batch files afterwards takes seconds.

M.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1