Helpful ReplyCan mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer?

Author
MCi
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
2016/09/09 23:07:47 (permalink)

Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer?

Or, is it just a workflow killer which affects the outcome of the project?
For example, I use a 6 year old AMD processor, quad core, 32 bit, 4GB Ram, Windows 7 with no solid state drives. I find these days that my system continuously bogs down and I am forced to evaluate and make decisions because of the constraints that develop during a project dependent on its size and the type soft synths used. The kinds of things I need to consider are:
  • which tracks to freeze or bounce to claw back as much processing power I can
  • which tracks I can afford not to freeze or bounce because they need further work, and
  • which plug in’s to use depending on how hard they hit the CPU.
It’s like reading about the old days when they recorded with a limited number of tracks and how they needed to regularly bounce and I’m thinking there was quite a bit of thought process and skill behind that.

I don’t want to continue with the poor workflow for much longer.  It is a pain but due to the constraints I face it has forced me to learn more about the power and features of Sonar and the soft synths I own which I think has helped me become a better mixer.

Regards,

MCi
https://soundcloud.com/mceye

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/10 03:27:46 (permalink)
In a perfect utopian digital world , we would all have super computers ....

Just so you know I do get where you are coming from exactly ...
The Les Paul in my avatar list for close to 6 grand ...sometimes I love to play my cheap a$$ed  Strat
back to computers
The lap top I do most of my main composing / woodsheding  on is what I call a placeholder computer ...
The environment is cut back to the bone ...
I only have SPlat , Samplitude Pro X 2 , Mixbus 3 .6 , Traction 7 and a couple of other programs I use for transcribing music ,,,,on it
I have no 3 rd party synth packages , or much in the way of 3 rd party plugs on it w the exception of T Racks and a couple of guitar amp sims ....plus some Blue Cat and Melda Free on this thing
I absolutely love working with this computer because I don't have to wade through 25 thousand presets of a bunch of stuff I'm never gonna use anyway ....

My other Win computer is the total opposite ...it has all the bells , whistles and 3 rd party synths and plugs on it ...
I won't lie and say I don't like having all the extra tools , the thing is even the basic install of SPlat has more than most real recording studios from back in my era when I was doing sessions in NYC ....
48 tracks back then was a big deal ...

FWIW I like to sit down and have a wide open space to create in ..the less distractions the better ,,,,
I don't get inspired by someone elses presets , samples or sounds ...I like to create my own as often as I can
Same goes for plugs ...if you know how to use one compressor correctly you know how to use just about all of them
correctly ...
So having said that I have chosen to do a lot of  my grunt work on my lesser machine ,,,and to tell you the truth there is nothing stopping me from bringing the project over to the bigger computer if I think I need something done over there ......
It ain't no big thing ...if I had somebody standing over my shoulder on the clock ...it would be different....
What you are talking about is learning how to use what you have ...IMHO , that is a good foundation to build up from ...
I remember a couple of the weekly tips that Craig posted ....more than a few were workflows I had yet to learn ...
It wouldn't have mattered what computer I was on ...what mattered was I tried to learn them and once I did it didn't matter what computer I was on it was all about Mission Accomplished
all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

MCi
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/10 07:36:52 (permalink)
Hi Kenny and thanks for the great response.  We differ in so many ways. Firstly, I am a hobbyist and you have worked professionally in NYC.  Secondly, you have quite the arsenal to create music and mine is limited on the technical side and of course talent but I do have a good collection of guitars. Thirdly, you don’t like presets and I rely on them extensively. I love to lay down a basic rhythm and then surf presets to find the ones that match and from there it provides further inspiration. Or, I have the vocal and rhythm and seek out other presets to enhance the song. I wish I had the time to create my own but I truly benefit from the talents and creativity of others and I that’s what I look for when purchasing a product.

I start to suffer around the 15 to 20 track mark dependant on the plug in’s, plugged in. Even in your days of 48 tracks in NYC seems like a luxury. I will be buying a high spec PC in the New Year and I think I need to keep pace of the technology if I want to produce better music.

Regards,

MCi

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/10 15:17:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2016/09/14 16:22:39
OK MCi, now I get where you are coming from ...

When I first read your opening post I thought it was about simulating an environment where you wanted to learn how to mix VIA an Old School approach ...
I didn't realize your computer was the main issue as to what is holding you back ....

Yeah , it sounds like you need a new computer . In the mean time  I wouldn't let that stop you .....

You can work around that pretty easy for now 
Here's a couple of things you can do if you are still interested in what I have to say ...
(all of these approaches I have done when I was in a similar position as yours ...)

MCi

• which tracks to freeze or bounce to claw back as much processing power I can

Since the track is frozen you now have all the rendered sounds and effects already on you track ...
I discovered a long time ago that when you freeze a track you can still edit the actual rendered frozen file...
By that I mean you can slice , dice , copy and paste sections of the track all over the place ...
the only rub is once the track is unfrozen you loose all your edits ....

What I used to like to do was to open up another new project in SONAR , set the new project to the tempo of the song I was working on and then copy my frozen track over to the new project in the correct place in the time line
The beauty in that was kept my parent project as it was and my child project of the song was a clean fresh start that had lot's of CPU on tap ...
If you happen to be freezing a lot of tracks in you project you may consider add this tech to your work flow ..

MCi

• which tracks I can afford not to freeze or bounce because they need further work,

Well if your working on something , your still working on it ....
if you have taken my previous suggestion I would say put that over in the new child project and have a go it it there also ...
you never know , since you already have it safely in your parent project , you have nothing to loose by taking risks  and trying things out you may not have tried .... 

MCi

• which plug in’s to use depending on how hard they hit the CPU.

This one here can be a can of worms depending on a lot of factors ...
typically a lot of people with hefty computers attempt to do every thing in real time while the project is playing ..
if you got the horse power to go there by all means ...

Having said that there are a bunch of ways you can approach this task ....
if it's a per track thing you can free up some resources by bouncing your soloed track into a new audio track and then archiving your parent track ....

if it's a master buss thing you may want to consider exporting your song as individual tracks / stems ...and reopening a new project and placing them in there ...

I mention this because I have no idea of what version of SONAR you are using ,,,,if you have SPLat you can always
evaluate your songs progress in the effects area by using MixRecall ...
in any event if its a master buss effects thing , you don't want to double hit your processed tracks in the parent project ....

As you may have deducted by now , I'm a firm believer in having a parent project with everything intact while using a child project to go wild in it .....
Not having a heavy duty PC has brought me to that crossroads ....

What are the benefits of trying this workflow out ? 
all your stuff will be safe in at least two places ...your current computer will probably be able to handle any wheres between 25 to maybe 40 tracks of processed audio .....

not sure if this helps you ...anyway have a nice one ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/10 16:08:25 (permalink)
I don't think that gear limitations make you a better mixer. But the attitude that you're damn well going to do it no matter the gear limitations definitely will.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/10 16:26:28 (permalink)
It is interesting and in some ways I agree with this approach because I have gone through it myself.  For me it took a slightly different form.  Firstly I only had 4 tracks to work with and as a result I spent much time learning the art of actually just combining 2 or 3 or 4 sources.  I bet many here still dont have the skill to perfectly match even say two sources. eg vocal and guitar.  There is tons to learn getting it right.

Even balancing 4 tracks is hard and things can get busy.  This is what track limitation imposed on me but I am glad.  I graduated up to 8 tracks and worked only with that for a long time.  Here you get to practice the art of not having any rubbish playing that simply does not need to be there.  You become slick and crafty at arranging how the 8 tracks are actually used etc.  I am glad we have more tracks now but when you only have 8 say you really learn the art of arranging.  Most people have 90 tracks playing and got 85 tracks of unnecessary stuff.

My first mixer had no active EQ on any channel only a HP and LP filter.  I became expert at using filters and also as I was creating electronic music at the time the lack of active EQ forced me to learn to program the synths really well so I could get the sound perfect at the source.  Because of that I can create any sound from say an analog synth.  Or any synth for that matter.  The lack of active EQ also forced me to learn to capture the best acoustic sounds where ever possible as well with mic choice and placement.  Now when I still do it I need a fraction of the plug-ins (if any) over any given individual track for a near perfect sound.

Using lower power computers today will teach you how to maximise the effect of what they can do.  For example my very first machine was 333 Mhz PC running external synths though through lots of midi.  And a limited amount of internal audio processing.  The midi side is how I was able to create mega sounding tracks. But also bouncing to save CPU resources wherever possible.  You find the least CPU intensive effects and learn to extract amazing sounds from them.  That machine produced massive expansive soundtracks for TV and film.  You would never know in a million years it was a Win 98 machine and only 333Mhz.  (And I got paid the same excellent amounts that I do today! Ideas reign over technology!)

When I was studying my Jazz degree, one of the things that struck me the most was how much sound could be made form only 3 or 4 people.  Incredible intros and things eg ambient sections using everyone to the max.  You should be able to do it with a similar number of tracks.

The trick is to carry this slimline approach into powerful computers.  Then they have time to burn and not even being taxed and they perform best in my opinion in this mode.  Super low latencies can be used everywhere.  Tight timing etc..

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/09/10 16:57:47

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/14 08:53:20 (permalink)
I have found that you tend to work with what you have.  Whether it's an old computer or a brand new one, it will do the job. Some better than others.  Mostly the issues deal with speed and memory.

My old Win95 machine was under the specs Cakewalk had set as the MINIMUM requirement. Well, since I didn't have the money at the time to upgrade, I loaded the program I had.... Cakewalk Pro-Delux 8 and let it roll. It took a bit longer to load some things but it ran and I was able to mix.

Fast forward to several years ago.... I built a new DAW. Loaded it up with only the music software and kept it off the internet except to download and authorize music synths and such things.  It's now quite out of date again..... that's the way of computers, but it does everything I need it to do and it's still a fast, lean, machine.

So.... to answer your question..... Will mixing on a low powered computer make you a better mixer?  In itself, no, not necessarily. However, mixing, sharing,  spending time learning your craft, honing your skills, and simply doing it as much as you can, not only with your own projects, but with projects recorded by others,  WILL make you a better mixer regardless of the computer's specs.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/14 11:38:04 (permalink)
the right tools for the job.

that's what it is always about.

work around the shortcomings while you have to,
but eventually,
you have to make that 'grownup' decision.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jesse Screed
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1158
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/14 18:41:45 (permalink)
batsbrew
but eventually,

And pray tell....what is that grownup decision?

Jesse Q. Screed

post edited by Jesse Screed - 2016/09/14 19:03:28
batsbrew
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/14 21:29:19 (permalink)
Jesse Screed
batsbrew
but eventually,

And pray tell....what is that grownup decision?

Jesse Q. Screed

simply,
get what you need to do the job right.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

MCi
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/15 07:35:24 (permalink)
I tend to agree that it does not make you a better mixer. I think it just makes you learn to get the most out of what you got.
post edited by MCi - 2016/09/15 08:29:16

Regards,

MCi

batsbrew
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/15 10:19:13 (permalink)
but at a certain point,
for sure,
you KNOW that what you have is not cutting it,
and you step up.

nothing makes you a better mixer,
except for mixing.

and that takes time and experience......
and proper gear

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Jeff Evans
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/15 17:03:18 (permalink)
You can still learn to be better mixer even with underpowered technology.  For me it worked and was a sort of training ground.  Like working with only 4 tracks but with careful bouncing to a two track machine and back and adding in stuff as you bounce and transfer back and forth I was capable of creating very high quality mixes that sounded like 9 tracks.  All from a 4 track machine.

Where this plays out now is how I might set up and prepare buses within a complex mix.  I was used to making stereo stems before that allowed for extra material coming in later.  Had to because of the track limitation.  You can apply that knowledge to how you mix your buses today.

I also learned how to preserve a full stereo image right across.  I liked stereo early on and wanted to use it.  You can plug the stuff you learned that way right into a modern technology approach as well eg like using a VU meter.  Take it from the analog world and plant it directly into our current digital one.

The lack of technology can play out in use of effects.  I only had a homemade stereo spring reverb and a Roland Space Echo so you become pretty skilled at creating a very good effected vocal sound with only two effects processors.  Working with echo chambers which was the norm back in the days made you skilled at creating reverb like effects with echo.  That still works today.  Making wide stereo images out of mono sources that are robust and sum perfectly was another thing I got into a lot before.  It still works well now.  I was always trying to make something bigger than what I actually had.  But yes of course once you do step up and get everything you need it all becomes easier and faster too.  And you still continue to learn to be a better mixer for sure.

Before we had to work the technology to get to where we wanted to be.  It was clearer when you arrived at that point sometimes.  Now it might be too easy for the technology to blast way past that point and you are going way too far then.  Learning the way I did with underpowered technology helped me to keep that in line and you can see it and prevent it too.

I am sure there are other ways to get there. There must be and this in itself is interesting.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/09/15 17:33:36

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
MCi
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/16 06:29:02 (permalink)
I enjoy reading about the methods of the past Jeff, keep them coming.  Your responses are like reading articles in Sound on Sound magazine. Plenty of good reads about how it used to be back in the days of 4 and 8 track machines along with their production techniques and of course the great performances. They produced great sounds which probably had something to do with the craftsmanship of the equipment made back then. Tubes, hand wiring, etc. I have been lucky enough to visit Sun Studios in Memphis and they have a huge display of old equipment. Of course I didn't know what a lot of it was, but it looked solidly made, heavy and all with big knobs. There's something about the sounds of the past that's so hard to replicate these days even with all our technology. Probably the more experienced mixers of our day would say I am wrong.

Regards,

MCi

notscruffy2
  • Total Posts : 67
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/16 14:19:38 (permalink)
Everything I have i go off Craig's List or Amazon clearance deals. I do most of my work with midi drive modelers. And most of that is done on a Toshiba Qosmio (mild gamer) ($500) laptop. I

like doing my initial mixing on it. For me it seems easier to hear the problems on that than on the Aleisis M1 I got for $100. Later I do go there for final.

I find that if I try and find the mix on the better system I have to listen much harder. Any I get to work anywhere with the laptop.

For me doing things to conserve processing is a blessing, because I am less prone to fiddle with it. I record synth sounds to aux or freeze depending. But I do it to live with a 5 year old cpu with 8 meg.

Adapt or die I guess. I have been pleased with my hand me downs. Sampling instruments (AD 2 & Dim) are frozen and unfrozen at will all to keep it doable and smooth operating. 

I should mention that the laptop does have a little sub woofer with fancy speakers they sound nice on Netflix.
Jeff Evans
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/18 18:00:56 (permalink)
This sums it up quite well. Just watched an interview with Jack White and he quoted

There is more creativity when there is less opportunity.....

batsbrew
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/21 13:06:05 (permalink)
i know several folk who tried to learn how to mix on sub-standard gear,
and in the end, simply learned bad habits, 
and making wrong assumptions.

especially with low end issues.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

batsbrew
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/21 13:06:55 (permalink)
and gear is one thing..
having the right environment that you can trust with your monitors, is another equally important issue,
and the two are tied together at the belly button.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Jeff Evans
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/21 18:46:18 (permalink)
And I know some people myself included that have created superb mixes with very limited gear.  Nice bottom end and all so that argument goes the other way too.  I bet you Bats is also one of those people.  I bet you were doing pretty decent mixes right back at the start with limited resources.  It shows because of the quality of the mixes you are doing now for example.  I am sure much earlier for you those techniques have worked in your favour.  Of course the better resources do help now for sure but it is easy to under estimate the importance of how we started off.

A good example of this is for me I only had 4 tracks to work with and spent years learning how to balance just 4 sources.  Something that simply does not happen today.  The kids I teach in sound engineering for example are thrown into a mix with 50 tracks and they wonder why they cannot make sense of it straight up.  The skills I learned in balancing a very small number of tracks have flowed on slowly for me. I went from 4 to 8 tracks for many years and then up to 16 and then 24 of course.  This was a real nice progression.  I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Good monitoring is essential of course and even for me right back at the start I had pretty decent speakers to work with a good sounding room.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/09/21 19:11:04

Jesse Screed
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1158
Re: Can mixing on a low powered PC make you a better mixer? 2016/09/26 19:34:15 (permalink)
So,
after thinking about the OP for a while, I must agree with the masters, yet with a serious caveat.

In the world of economic censorship, we must be highly discerning.

Just as money thrown at a problem may or may not solve anything, an under powered system may solve something.

I imagine I may have lost you by now, but for those who like a little intrigue, hear me out.

That which is achieved by having a low powered system is of greater value than all the gold that the Universe may provide. Having a low powered system teaches one the art of patience.  Money can buy immediacy, but often not, money ill spent will render palatable sludge.

Imagine a soul, with a one string guitar, lamenting the position in life they manage.  The blues came from such humble beginnings, and we love scatchy old blues records

For every thing there is a sweet spot.  For those of you who are under powered, work with the tools you have, find the sweet spot.

Much is made about bling, but bling is fleeting, and also a nickle and dime existence,

So have patience, click not excessively or randomly.  Give your under powers a breathe to catch themselves.

Great music has been revealed by lesser means than the technorati may coax you to believe.

Hit record.  Express yourself, burning up heart and soul.

Jesse Q. Screed

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1