Designing Cinematic Drums

Author
Chandler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 477
2016/09/23 11:00:21 (permalink)

Designing Cinematic Drums

I just finished the 2nd part of my series on making cinematic drums using a synth. In this one I tried to show how to make that deep boom sound people are always using in trailers. Of course it can be used for EDM, metal, etc. I hope this is interesting to some of you out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYn08bUlmG0

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
My Youtube page

3 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Designing Cinematic Drums 2016/09/25 18:11:18 (permalink)
    Well done again Chandler.  I am keeping an eye on your videos.  This second one is a good example of how you can change an individual synth sound so when you do get around to showing the multiple tracking concepts which are really the most important in my opinion the synth sounds won't all be the same.  Thanks again.  I picked up some great and useful ideas about how to change each synth instance slightly which is important.

I do the same thing with the live drum parts in overdubbing.  I alter the tuning of each drum each time and often change what stick or mallet I am using too.  I also alter how hard I play each drum part too.  (and adjust gain accordingly for each overdub pass)  As you play harder a real drum changes it sound quite a lot.  Very soft playing is quite different from smacking it hard etc..

Not everyone will probably want or need cinematic drum grooves but I just love them!  The reality is if you are into creating any form of epic soundtrack they are almost a necessity.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Chandler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re: Designing Cinematic Drums 2016/09/25 23:39:40 (permalink)
    Thanks. I agree cinematic drum grooves are really cool and they are ubiquitous now in movies, trailers and tv. In the next video I'll go over how to introduce slight changes in sound so overdubs will sound different. If possible I want to make it possible to use 1 midi track(copied in sonar) to layer things without phasing or sounding like 1 insturment. I need to do some experimenting, but if it works I'll put it in the next video. I'll see how well I can program automatic frequency, resonance, pitch and timing changes.
    post edited by Chandler - 2016/09/26 00:02:36

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
    My Youtube page
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Designing Cinematic Drums 2016/09/26 03:28:04 (permalink)
    I think you certainly can use the same midi track for say multiple instances but the timing on each track for each note might have to be altered slightly because the real power of this sound is in the fact that every track is just not quite perfect timing wise. Even when I play the same part exactly multiple times over and over they never line up totally perfectly timing wise.

Maybe you could also utilise midi humanising timing operations for each track and get the software to somehow just alter at random the start times for each note. (within a range though)

Although it is important for each instance to have slightly different sounds these very slight timing differences also really add to the sound too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1