Helpful ReplyDIY Mastering in SONAR

Author
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
2016/09/23 11:27:46 (permalink)

DIY Mastering in SONAR

For the sake of discussion, imagine you're mixing/mastering one song in isolation. That is, not as part of an album or other collection. Is there anything you can do in two steps (exporting the project mix, then importing it into a mastering project) that you couldn't do in one step by just adding your "mastering" effects to the master bus?

For years I've been doing this in two steps even though I'm never going to send my mix off to a mastering professional for tweaking. In the case of an album, I can see where a separate mastering step can help you match levels and EQ to make a set of songs fit together sonically, but I'm not sure what this extra step gives you in the case of a single song.

Your thoughts?

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
lick4lick
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 11:46:45 (permalink)
I'm just a novice DIY Mix/Master guy ... I've taken Mastering courses online.  The single reason I prefer the 2-step process (Separate Mastering Project) is to keep myself far away from the impulse of touching the mix while in the mastering process.  With my finished stereo mix and my reference tracks located in the Mastering Project, I have all that I need to work with and my Mix remains a constant.  I believe this let me know whether my Mix is sound or still needs some work and remains my reference point.  I have a separate Mastering Project template that contains all of my preferred plug-ins for that purpose.  That being said, "yes" you can just do it in the Mastering Bus ... but in my case, based upon the sheer number of plug-ins that I use, it would only add CPU overhead to a possibly already large over-tapped Project that may cause complications of there very own.  Just my thoughts and how I work.

SONAR PLATINUM x64
INTEL I5-2320 @ 3.00 GHz 4 Core
Windows 10

16 GB RAM
2 TB HDD
Roland Studio Capture Audio Interface
DynAudio BM6 MkIII Monitors
Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special 2X12
Martin 00028 EC
Martin HD28
Martin D41
Gibson LP Custom Shop Standard 1997
Fender Time Machine 1960 Stratocaster 2003
Strymon Big Sky, Time Line, Mobius ... Eventide H9 Std, Jetter Traindrive and GS124, Empress Para EQ, Clinch EP Pre, Mission VM-Pro and RJM SP-1, RJM Mastermind PBC, Vox V846HW, Keeley C4, Hartman VGB, Trailer Trash 36" Board.

batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 12:27:56 (permalink)
better to use software that is designed strictly for mastering, IMHO

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

lick4lick
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 12:41:14 (permalink)
Which software?

SONAR PLATINUM x64
Windows 10

16 GB RAM
2 TB HDD
Martin 00028 EC
Martin HD28
Martin D41
Strymon Big Sky, Time Line, Mobius ... Eventide H9 Std, Jetter Traindrive and GS124, Empress Para EQ, Clinch EP Pre, Mission VM-Pro and RJM SP-1, RJM Mastermind PBC, Vox V846HW, Keeley C4, Hartman VGB, Trailer Trash 36" Board.

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 12:50:12 (permalink)
henkejs
For the sake of discussion, imagine you're mixing/mastering one song in isolation. That is, not as part of an album or other collection. Is there anything you can do in two steps (exporting the project mix, then importing it into a mastering project) that you couldn't do in one step by just adding your "mastering" effects to the master bus?

For years I've been doing this in two steps even though I'm never going to send my mix off to a mastering professional for tweaking. In the case of an album, I can see where a separate mastering step can help you match levels and EQ to make a set of songs fit together sonically, but I'm not sure what this extra step gives you in the case of a single song.

Your thoughts?

best is 2 steps, 2 professionals ...

for DIY IMHO 2 steps are still preferable (give it a break in between to have fresh ears, make only subtle changes because that's what's mastering is about ... it's not remixing, that's a different animal)

mastering has totally different objectives than mixing. so I'd even recommend 2 steps with 2 applications so you do not twist the same knobs in the same plugs again ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 12:57:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/09/25 21:32:58
When I have put Ozone across my master bus it caused noises and stopping. Apparently those look-ahead plugins are too much for my equipment when added onto everything I'm doing to individual tracks. I could probably fix this by adjusting buffer settings, but it all "works" better if I just mix my song, open the stereo wav file in Sound Forge, and apply mastering FX there.

Bottom line here comes from the smartest thing Craig Anderton has said: "We are making music, not audio." Do whatever it takes to that end. There's no right or wrong if you get the results you're looking for.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
henkejs
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 13:01:54 (permalink)
Thanks for the replies. It's good to see people's perspectives on this. I'm sure professional mastering or even specialized mastering software would be a big improvement over what I do now. But as I mentioned in the thread title, I'm wondering about what people do in SONAR. For hobbyists like me, it's a constant struggle to decide where to put my limited $$ in order to get the best bang for the buck.

I see the advantages of the two step process, especially when system resources are being pushed. It seems like I always hear things in the mastering stage that need to be fixed in the original mix, so back and forth I go. . .
post edited by henkejs - 2016/09/23 13:26:05

A few of my songs

lick4lick
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 13:08:55 (permalink)
Just one more item ... I've used LANDR (freebie mp3) to test my Mastering ability (or lack thereof) and that has worked well for me as a baseline for my mastering.  I even gone so far as to use the LANDR mp3 as a reference track in my Mastering Project (for the same mix, of course).

SONAR PLATINUM x64
Windows 10

16 GB RAM
2 TB HDD
Martin 00028 EC
Martin HD28
Martin D41

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 13:21:28 (permalink)
lick4lick
Which software?

there are lots of good options out there.

i use wavelab.

there is ozone.....
slate....
ik multimedia...
sonoris....
Har Bal.....
sound forge.....
and mastering specific plugins as well.....
Waves.....(what i use)
sonnox.....
just a plethora of stuff........
a google search should put you on the proper path.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 13:32:30 (permalink)
Yes there are two paths you can go by but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on.....  words made famous by Zepplin....  and yeah it kind of applies to mixing and mastering too.

There is the two step process and it has it's advantages. You aren't tempted to screw with the mix... and it gives you a degree of isolation from the original mix.

However, putting Ozone in the master buss, as you suggested is the method I use. It's quick, and easy, and I start working from the very start on the final product.   You have to be aware and think ahead about the things you are doing.  One thing you do now may have an effect on something that's yet to be recorded in the mix.  Keeping plugs to a minimum and as many tracks dry as is possible is one way I try to work in order to minimize adverse reactions later on.

If I was mixing with the goal of putting a commercial CD together, I would very likely be doing it with the 2 step method. But since that is not my goal with the music I record, I choose the one step method.

Neither way is wrong.... one way is the preferred way by many folks in the business, so I respect that.  I like to color outside of the lines.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 13:36:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Shambler 2016/10/14 14:05:38
I'll play devil's advocate to the comments above, and suggest that it's not necessary to do a 2-step process but rather is perfectly acceptable to master in the project. If it's part of a collection (e.g. a CD or a film cue), or if you're sending it out to a third party for mastering, then that's another story. But for a one-off standalone song, I say do it in the project.

lick4lick has a valid point about removing the temptation to mess with the mix, but I'm going to suggest there's nothing wrong with that. After all, a lot of the things MEs do to improve the final mix are actually things they wish they could do in the mix. That's one reason they like to get stems, so they have more mix control prior to mastering. Sometimes, they'll even send it back to the mixer with suggestions for how it can be improved so as to result in a better master.

Truth is, you will find things out about the mix once you start mastering, deficiencies that were not apparent until you glued them all together in mastering. If you use any bus compression on the master it will change your mix, sometimes by a lot. If you find you're using a lot of EQ on the master it could be an indication of spectral balance issues that would be better addressed in the mix. Other tricks such as expanders and transient shapers shouldn't be necessary at mastering time; if you find that they do improve the mix, they'll work even better if you figure out which individual tracks need expansion and apply those effects at the track level.

MEs will tell you that it's possible to create a mix that needs nothing in the mastering phase except volume adjustment. Few of us are that good, though, and the rest of us have to bounce back and forth between the master and the mix. I know when I'm headed in the right direction when I have to do less and less to the master.  I couldn't do that without having the mastering chain inserted right there in the project.

Not saying any of the previous suggestions are wrong, just my $0.02.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
lick4lick
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 17:12:06 (permalink)
Just to show how complex things could get and to illustrate how much there is to keep-track-of when Mastering, I made this video.  There's potential for infamous SNAFU scenario when I Mix and Master on the same Sonar Project ...  Point is well taken bitflipper.  I had to re-mix numerous times, then bounce, then export, then import  ... a whole lot of work.  But, I'm afraid I'd mess things up worse if I don't separate.  I've got this work-flow that seems to work.  I thank everybody for the input ... great to hear other opinions.

Anyhow, here you go ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fHgjMfjE3E

SONAR PLATINUM x64
Windows 10

16 GB RAM
2 TB HDD
Martin 00028 EC
Martin HD28
Martin D41

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 17:32:12 (permalink)
They say it is good to get a mastering engineer to master your track and one of the main reasons is they have never heard it before and hence it is fresh to them.  They are very unbiased.  If however you are mastering your own material then the closest thing to this is to mix the track and let a week go by before mastering it.

For me the main reason is you have assaulted your ears for many hours doing the mix so I find I cannot make great mastering decisions straight after that.  Any EQ setting you do on the mix day will be different to an overall EQ decision you make a week later.

I prefer to get the mix sounding as good as it can first without mastering.  Another reason too is it is nice to have a full premastered version backed up too which you won't get when you master all at once.  It is nice to listen to the mix as well for a week.  In the car, everywhere.  You will hear things and make slight changes as a result.  Hence a better mix.  They say mastering into a compressor changes things so that is fine put it on your master buss and apply some gentle conditioning there.  But remove it before printing the Presmastered mix though.

Wait a week and create a proper mastering session and you will find you make better mastering decisions later on.  You will end up using less of everything when you do it this way.  This is only good if time is on your side though.  I recently had to mix and master at the same time in order to belt it all out fast so yes I did that.  I found though I only needed some compression and limiting to bring the overall level up and it worked fine but for me it is not the ideal method

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
lick4lick
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 18:06:39 (permalink)
Jeff ... glad you mentioned letting time go by prior to Mastering your own Mix ... really important to recognize "ear fatigue".

SONAR PLATINUM x64
Windows 10

16 GB RAM
2 TB HDD
Martin 00028 EC
Martin HD28
Martin D41

Jeff Evans
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 18:15:11 (permalink)
lick4lick
Jeff ... glad you mentioned letting time go by prior to Mastering your own Mix ... really important to recognize "ear fatigue".

Exactly. On the mix day you will find you are still boosting highs and adding 3 or 4 db at the top end.  But the only reason you are doing this is because your ears are shot.  A week later (after a good nights sleep and you are totally fresh in the morning) you will not only realise that your mix is too toppy but you will find yourself pulling the highs down or rolling them off.  Quite different scenarios.

I have read many articles where even the best engineers in the world have said they really regretted mastering so close to mix in order to satisfy the record label deadline.

You will always get a better master when you separate the two. Having a totally premastered version also allows you to remaster.  As it sometimes takes more than one attempt at mastering to get it perfect.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/09/23 19:30:33

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
henkejs
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 19:12:52 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Exactly. On the mix day you will find you are still boosting highs and adding 3 or 4 db at the top end.  But the only reason you are doing this is because your ears are shot.  A week later (after a good nights sleep and you are totally fresh in the morning) you will not only realise that your mix is too toppy but you will find yourself pulling the highs down or rolling them off.  Quite different scenarios.

Funny. I was just getting ready to boost the highs on a mix this afternoon when I decided to quit for the day. We'll see how I feel about it when I go back to it.

A few of my songs

Jeff Evans
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/23 19:19:54 (permalink)
Yeah I get that too.  And in a few days if you still feel like boosting the highs then yes the mix may need it for sure.  But then again you may have a totally different view and find you are actually easing them down instead! A lot of mixes are way too toppy.  A good mix wont be actually but only have a few elements in there that are clear and have nice top end.  Put a spectrum analyser over your mix.  The best mixes I have heard all have a gentle slope downward from about 5 K onwards.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/09/23 19:43:06

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/24 10:12:22 (permalink)
Great tune, btw. "I feel like a coyote on the freeway". Love that simile.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/25 06:59:14 (permalink)
I do a two-step process inside the project.
I bounce 2-3 slightly different stereo mixes, and archive the rest of the tracks when I start "mastering".
That "slightly different" means usually mixes with different EQs or levels on instruments I usually have difficulties with - hihats, cymbals and the very low end.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/26 11:38:37 (permalink)
I mix straight into my mastering chain so I know EXACTLY how it's going to sound when it gets to the outside world.

But I also have a Pre Master bus which I use for exporting individual songs which are then re-imported into my album project with the same mastering chain.

Mixing with the K system in mind and calibrated monitors means that I have very little overall level differences between songs

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/26 21:15:16 (permalink)
I always (well unless for technical reasons) master over a full mix.  I don't see the point in the two phase mix approach, although I will get slaughtered, it allows me to do slight adjustments to the mix if needed.  Sometimes this is important, sometimes not...it just depends.

I had to do some adjustments last night on a mix/master, because I'm getting use to a new passive mastering EQ (Waves Abbey Road), and some new cans (AKG 712's).  But whatever works :).

Ben  

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
Jeff Evans
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/26 23:54:13 (permalink)
Ben I think the main reason is because you have been hitting your ears over a long time with so much sound you may not be in the best position to master well.

So in the mastering chain you might have an EQ first and this is one to watch out for.  You may not make the right decision there and then.  All I know when I leave it a week that first EQ ends up being something different entirely!

With compression some say the mix changes when the compression is being applied so in that case by all means leave it on and adjust your mix accordingly but take it off before you print a pre master.  And it is a good idea to have a totally pre mastered print as well.  Gives you different mastering options.

Funny though when I do a great mix I find the mastering compressor actually does not change anything for me.  The mastering compressor should not be working that hard (in my opinion) for the mix to change.  A great mix still sounds great to me with our without the mastering compressor.  (I think Danny Danzi agrees with me on this one too) It just seems to add some glue as they say and just add a nice professional sheen over the whole thing.  That is about all I can describe about it. (lately I have been into Tokyo Dawn Labs Kotelnikov and it is just sublime)

The mastering limiter (PSP Xenon that is) also does not alter my mixes either, just makes them louder so I am happy to do that stuff later on.  My limiter is only adding 3 to 4 dB of (rms) gain so it is not working very hard either.  None of the mastering processes should be working hard.  It should be a combination of all three that give you the sound you are after.  As soon as you start putting too much work onto just one of those processes it all falls apart for me.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/09/27 00:17:13

BenMMusTech
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/27 03:36:04 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Ben I think the main reason is because you have been hitting your ears over a long time with so much sound you may not be in the best position to master well.

So in the mastering chain you might have an EQ first and this is one to watch out for.  You may not make the right decision there and then.  All I know when I leave it a week that first EQ ends up being something different entirely!

With compression some say the mix changes when the compression is being applied so in that case by all means leave it on and adjust your mix accordingly but take it off before you print a pre master.  And it is a good idea to have a totally pre mastered print as well.  Gives you different mastering options.

Funny though when I do a great mix I find the mastering compressor actually does not change anything for me.  The mastering compressor should not be working that hard (in my opinion) for the mix to change.  A great mix still sounds great to me with our without the mastering compressor.  (I think Danny Danzi agrees with me on this one too) It just seems to add some glue as they say and just add a nice professional sheen over the whole thing.  That is about all I can describe about it. (lately I have been into Tokyo Dawn Labs Kotelnikov and it is just sublime)

The mastering limiter (PSP Xenon that is) also does not alter my mixes either, just makes them louder so I am happy to do that stuff later on.  My limiter is only adding 3 to 4 dB of (rms) gain so it is not working very hard either.  None of the mastering processes should be working hard.  It should be a combination of all three that give you the sound you are after.  As soon as you start putting too much work onto just one of those processes it all falls apart for me.

Hi Jeff, Actually if you listen to this https://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks/higher  I think you will find, I'm pretty close.  This is the track I was talking about in my previous post...which I finished last night.  It's coming through on my laptop speaker amazingly.  Having 500 dollar cans helps too I've found lol.  I missed so much detail in my Beyerdynamic DT990s.

It takes a while to train your ears, and you're right...sometimes I mix and master when I'm too fatigued, in which case I use visual clues...meters and needles to judge things.  Also, yep getting the mix right should be the first step...but understanding the mastering chain and the effect is also important, and hence I fiddeled a bit with the mix in mastering...no change in compression mind you, just a couple of minor volume changes, esp on a couple of the verbs, and I changed the EQ slighty on the kicks, but I could trust myself in this regard because I knew I'd push the curves a bit too far and was creating low-mid issues.

My mastering chain, and you're correct I do use an EQ first...but only to remove sub-frequencies and too much top end, and maybe low-mids to clean the track.  I then re-gain stage the track, because unlike you and Danny...I don't care about being in the red...within reason when mixing.  This is becuase I don't go back out of the box when mixing and mastering, which is a big no if you do...but does not matter if not, and indeed it helps create a fatter warmer track if you're using emulator tech.

I then feed the master into Sonar's tape sim to even the transients just slightly, and to make sure the VU on sim sits between -18 to -12.  Which is then fed into the console emulator to do a little magic to said transients.

Now, this is why I was fiddling around with the mix in mastering last night, because I was incorporating a new mastering EQ into my chain (I don't fiddle often), but I was really struggling with the Waves RS56...it works great off the bat for sound art stuff mind you, but for the life of me I could not get the mix to sit with my normal mastering chain.  Normally after the console emulator, I would use the Pro Channel EQ, and I was trying to do the same with RS56.  Being a complete passive type unlike the Pulteq...makes it harder to set IMO.

Eventually I gave up, and continued with normal chain so...Pro Channel EQ set to pure but leaving room for the RS56 later, then I use the Waves H-Comp as my mastering compressor...unlike you though I don't push the signal into and make the compressor do the hard yards...for me its small increments and gain staging.

Then I used the RS56, and this is where it worked in the chain...mind you it took some tweaking.

After this, I use Waves Master Tape...and no this is not an advert for Waves ;)...Sonar is still my go to piece of software tech...but I gain stage between RS56 and the Master Tape...adding in an extra DB of volume after the gain stage, and use the wow and flutter to dial in some punch, and tape hiss helps the top end come through...I know but I can hear it...and the AKG K12s aren't bad cans.

Finally I use the concrete limiter with soft-clip on, and set the release manually...and you can hear the difference if you don't set it manually.

If you listen to that track Jeff, and you do so in cans...you will notice the verbs and delays wrap around the back of your head...I use a 360 degree panner to create fake binaural type mixes...we are the headphone generation.

Cheers Ben 

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/27 04:50:03 (permalink)
BenMMusTech

Now, this is why I was fiddling around with the mix in mastering last night, because I was incorporating a new mastering EQ into my chain (I don't fiddle often), but I was really struggling with the Waves RS56...it works great off the bat for sound art stuff mind you, but for the life of me I could not get the mix to sit with my normal mastering chain.  Normally after the console emulator, I would use the Pro Channel EQ, and I was trying to do the same with RS56.  Being a complete passive type unlike the Pulteq...makes it harder to set IMO.

Eventually I gave up, and continued with normal chain so...Pro Channel EQ set to pure but leaving room for the RS56 later, then I use the Waves H-Comp as my mastering compressor...unlike you though I don't push the signal into and make the compressor do the hard yards...for me its small increments and gain staging.

Then I used the RS56, and this is where it worked in the chain...mind you it took some tweaking.

After this, I use Waves Master Tape...and no this is not an advert for Waves ;)...Sonar is still my go to piece of software tech...but I gain stage between RS56 and the Master Tape...adding in an extra DB of volume after the gain stage, and use the wow and flutter to dial in some punch, and tape hiss helps the top end come through...I know but I can hear it...and the AKG K12s aren't bad cans.

IMHO you are "sound shaping" your master bus, or whatever other name one could find for throwing a ton of FX at the master bus.

There's nothing wrong with that from a creative perspective - if it sounds right, it is right (and what sounds right is very flexible in the creative domain).

Yet, this has nothing to do with classical mastering where you finish the piece of art first, then have it polished so that it sounds as good as possible across playback systems. For some reason they still build speaker into cars ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
BenMMusTech
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/27 05:59:28 (permalink)
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
BenMMusTech

IMHO you are "sound shaping" your master bus, or whatever other name one could find for throwing a ton of FX at the master bus.

There's nothing wrong with that from a creative perspective - if it sounds right, it is right (and what sounds right is very flexible in the creative domain).

Yet, this has nothing to do with classical mastering where you finish the piece of art first, then have it polished so that it sounds as good as possible across playback systems. For some reason they still build speaker into cars ...

Yep, you're right in regards to mix must sound good across a number of systems, and from experience for my stuff...if it sounds right on crap speakers...it will transfer to other system.  I might have left too much low-mids in the track I posted a link to in last post...again I'm getting use to a new EQ.

But the OP wasn't really talking about classical mastering...he was asking from his perspective, and so classical mastering isn't really relevant is it?

And if you think about it...what is classical mastering?  I mean there's the 60's and the aforementioned use of the RS56 for LP, and i'm sure mastering for cassette tape requires a different type of mastering, as cd does, and now the digital medium does too.  As an example and even though Jimmy Page was doing the latest remasters for cash too, it was also to remaster for the digital medium.  Even he gets the digital or to put it more accurately the digitised analogue medium has to be treated in a new way to all forms of analogue mediums, LP and Tape and even early digital i.e. CD.  And for once, I'm actually pretty qualified to explain the difference in mediums...medium specificity is a part of my research degree. 

Whilst all classical engineering techniques, esp when getting the signal into the box and back out if this how you mix and master apply...and depending on the type of digital mixing paradigm you use i.e. the hybrid type, where the signal goes in and out of the box and therefore you need to always watch the levels and actually negate both the benefits of analogue and digital, or total digital where you get the benefits of analogue emulation technology by staying in the box once its in, this means emulating the signal level of analogue too, and using an excess of what looks like superfluous and excess amount of plug-ins to emulate things like the fattness of transients.

Sure, and again I'm qualified to say this, if I was mastering someone else's material I would judge it on it's merit, and be judicious in my choice of mastering equipment...that's what a good mastering engineer does.  Again, the OP from what I could tell wanted to know from his perspective and classical mastering technique would probably  not apply :)

Cheers Ben 

henkejs
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/27 11:50:51 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
But I also have a Pre Master bus which I use for exporting individual songs which are then re-imported into my album project with the same mastering chain.

Interesting. I'm trying to picture how you're routing the tracks and buses. Are the pre-master bus and master bus in series?

A few of my songs

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/27 12:07:23 (permalink)
henkejs
Bristol_Jonesey

Interesting. I'm trying to picture how you're routing the tracks and buses. Are the pre-master bus and master bus in series?

should work either way - parallel or in series. either way you can export both without negative impact ...

---|---> master
   |---> premaster

---> pre-master ---> master

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/09/28 10:39:05 (permalink)
Tracks > Busses > Pre Master > Master > Mains

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: DIY Mastering in SONAR 2016/10/20 09:40:49 (permalink)
Boy, I wish I knew more about mastering . . .

. . . which is why I don't really do it. I have tried both approaches being discussed. I think if you master while you mix, with Ozone or a stack of plugins on the master bus, then what you are doing is essentially mixing with Ozone. 

If you value "setting it aside" and coming back with a two-step process - then you must have the time for multiple re-renders so you can make inevitable mix corrections.

In either case, you can always come back the next day with fresh ears, so the two-step process is not your only opportunity to do that.

I was an Ozone abuser on the master bus for a while, but I just got the feeling that it gave me 10 options, two of which were good choices, but you must go through all 10 to get to the two.

Nowadays I mix to the best of my ability, put FabFilter Pro-L limiter on the master bus, maybe add a db of gain with that, and call it a day. It keeps my song cleaner - because I've found trying to master without real knowledge is the ultimate rabbit hole, with a screwed-up song at its bottom.

-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1