Is Netflix losing customers?

Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
2016/09/29 17:02:02 (permalink)

Is Netflix losing customers?

It can be the only reasonable explanation I got this email today:

When we raised prices for new Netflix members last year, we kept your price the same for one year. Your special pricing is now ending and as of Saturday, October 29th, 2016 your new price will be $9.99 per month.
post edited by bapu - 2016/09/29 17:47:56

17 Replies Related Threads

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/29 17:08:10 (permalink)
    Still beats CBS and Hulu, who make you pay but still force you to watch publicity...

Or Amazon who keeps on adding extras, so now, even if you're a Prime subscriber, you have to pay yet another extra for some of the content. Not to mention that their app SUCKS.

My only true pet peeve with Netflix is that they removed the preview option from their app. 

But, as long as they have all the Star Trek series... :)
    post edited by Rain - 2016/09/29 17:29:49

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/29 17:24:35 (permalink)
    Canadians got that notice a couple of months ago. I doubt they have any worries, they just haven't changed their pricing in a few years.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/29 17:51:45 (permalink)
    Rain
    Still beats CBS and Hulu, who make you pay but still force you to watch publicity...

Or Amazon who keeps on adding extras, so now, even if you're a Prime subscriber, you have to pay yet another extra for some of the content. Not to mention that their app SUCKS.

My only true pet peeve with Netflix is that they removed the preview option from their app. 

But, as long as they have all the Star Trek series... :)

If I sign up for Prime can I order things like toilet paper and have them delivered for free (two day mail)?
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/29 18:09:30 (permalink)
    It's a clumsy attempt at psychology: "we're raising your rate, but you should be happy because we didn't do it a year ago!". Does the IRS know about this tactic?

Well, it still beats cable. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/29 18:38:22 (permalink)
    It certainly does beat cable, now.

But hey, I am old enough to remember when all the channels on my cable lineup were advertising free and my subscription paid the full cost. Oh, and Arts & Entertainment were putting on ballets and concerts, History was nonfiction historical fare and so on instead of everything being poorly done true crime, or reality shows about dwarf veterinarian pawnbrokers dating naked house flippers renovating haunted bungalows while waiting to get voted out of jail, or re-runs of I Love Lucy.

Wait a while and Netflix will charge you to watch commercials, instead of just making you search through the same one hundred otherwise unmarketable movies, each listed under two dozen different categories to make you think they actually have motion picture content. 

Well as long as they keep the PBS leftovers from BBC.
    robbyk
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/29 18:58:09 (permalink)
    I got that email a month or so ago and then as I mucked about the account preferences or whatever, I mistakenly downgraded my service, ie quality somehow, just by looking around. Now I'm at $8.43 a month and my wife and I notice no difference. So I actually saved money when they raised my price :)

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
    Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/29 19:20:03 (permalink)
    I think that letter came in a few months back for me.

My girls are both out of the house but still watch netflix on our old account. I think netflix allows a limited number of simultaneous streaming screens at the same time. We must never exceed that because I never hear complaints from the kids. I guess I could change my PW and kick them all off, but my wife and I rarely use it so I let it roll on as usual.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/29 22:33:44 (permalink)
    Generally price goes up with demand. So I should think they're probably doing quite well. I think the idea is probably to keep raising prices bit by bit until they start to see a drop in active subscribers. And even at that point where they're losing a few customers, it might still result in a higher profit.

Raising prices on your customers is riskier in some businesses more than others. Netflix has a huge market share and is still the "Google" of video streaming (i.e. the name Netflix has effectively turned into a verb) so they can probably get away with a price increase a lot easier than someone like me, a small fry business owner with a lot of local competition. 

However I'm about to raise my prices too, and I'm wondering how to go about it. It's always dicey to raise prices for existing customers along with new customers because they're so used to paying the previous price, unlike the new customers. They also might expect some kind of loyalty from you in the form of treating them better than newcomers. So I'm wondering whether to tell existing customers that the price for new customers is going up now but that I'm going to show my appreciation of old customers by giving them another few months of the old prices, or do like Netflix did and just spring the new price on existing customers somewhere down the line and soften the blow by telling them that they're lucky I didn't spring it on them 6 months ago along with everyone else. 

I think if you're raising prices on existing customers you have to give them something in return for their money though.  A new service, updated features, something to sweeten the deal. I'm offering a new online client portal with GPS tracked services and some other goodies. What's Netflix offering? 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/30 03:05:01 (permalink)
    I haven't had a TV since I moved in June (first time ever, in my last big house I had big screens in five rooms plus a couple smaller ones).  I've never used an internet based service (like Netflix or Hulu).

So far, I've surprised myself by not really noticing I don't have TV - it's not bad!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/30 07:33:28 (permalink)
    If they don't stop adding Steven Seagal movies, and don't add series 4 of Braquo soon, they'll be losing me as a customer.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/30 07:51:10 (permalink)
    I find plenty on NF to keep me entertained during the times I want such entertainment.

PRIME?  FU Amazon.  Create a problem, then charge to make it go away.  NO SPANKS!  Am I the only one that thinks that feels like a protection racket?

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/30 09:10:29 (permalink)
    BUT if the lose customers

how are all the players going to CHILL without netflix??

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/30 09:17:42 (permalink)
    Ham N Egz
    BUT if the lose customers

how are all the players going to CHILL without netflix??

Amazon's Fire Stick + Kodi?

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/09/30 12:33:10 (permalink)
    I got an email from Comcast/Xfinity a few weeks ago telling me that Netflix will soon be included with Xfinity X1. This could explain some of it. I'm not sure what is going on but it seems to imply that Comcast bought or is buying Netflix. There was no mention of a charge but there may be one, I don't know yet. They made it sound like they were going to just add it to the lineup (but I will believe that when I see it and use it).
    J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/10/01 11:33:08 (permalink)
    Netflix has actually been dropping content. Something in excess of 4,000 titles this year. No more South Park!

Their rationalization is they want to become a TV network and produce more original content. I support that, given that a lot of what they've produced has been high quality stuff. Some of it (e.g. Sense8) has been spectacularly good.

But I am still dismayed by the lack of quality classic movies. My grandson and I share a love of sci-fi, and I've been turning him on to decades of must-see films (he's 15, so he'd never seen The Thing, Alien(s), eXistence, The 13th Floor, Big Trouble in Little China or even the Star Wars series). So far my hit rate for finding these on Netflix has only been about 5%. They'll often have the crappy sequels but not the originals, or they'll have the low-budget knockoff versions.

Luckily, I have an extensive collection of DVDs to mine.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/10/01 13:52:33 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Netflix has actually been dropping content. Something in excess of 4,000 titles this year. No more South Park!

Their rationalization is they want to become a TV network and produce more original content. I support that, given that a lot of what they've produced has been high quality stuff. Some of it (e.g. Sense8) has been spectacularly good.

But I am still dismayed by the lack of quality classic movies. My grandson and I share a love of sci-fi, and I've been turning him on to decades of must-see films (he's 15, so he'd never seen The Thing, Alien(s), eXistence, The 13th Floor, Big Trouble in Little China or even the Star Wars series). So far my hit rate for finding these on Netflix has only been about 5%. They'll often have the crappy sequels but not the originals, or they'll have the low-budget knockoff versions.

Luckily, I have an extensive collection of DVDs to mine.

It's not just that they want to produce more original content, it's also that the TV networks have become hostile to them to some extent. And it's understandable since they're leeching millions of people away from TV. So the networks are probably less willing to provide content to Netflix. 

I'm not sure how that will pan out though. If the networks are thinking they'll get viewers back by withholding content from Netflix then I think they're sorely mistaken. Once you've experienced TV on demand without commercials, promos, jingles and all the other inane crap that you have to sit through to watch a show on network TV, you can never go back. Sometimes I throw the TV on in the gym and I last about 3 minutes before I'm jabbing my finger on the screen to turn it off. It's excruciating. 

South Park, by the way, you can watch on the South Park site for free, yes? 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    DrLumen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 621
    Re: Is Neflix losing customers? 2016/10/01 16:03:55 (permalink)
    I wish Netflix would get more of the broadcast station shows. While Netflix does produce a few shows that are good, the rest are crap. Yeah I know, eye of the beholder... I agree their on-demand movie selection is also very limited. That is the only reason I have their DVD plan too.

I've been considering Sony PS Vue. It's fairly expensive (compared to NF and Hulu) but they have a lot of the cable stations. I haven't seen it yet but from my understanding they are streaming the channels so that means commercials. <sigh> If it will do on-demand then that might work out well.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1