32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BMOG
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
2016/09/28 16:58:04 (permalink)

32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once

The search feature is acting weird, I recently bought the Yamaha 01v96i I like it a lot but I need more inputs.  It is a big upgrade from my Motu Ultralite and Octa-Capture. I was wondering if anyone is using an interface that allows 32 channels input and at least 16 analog out puts or something close to that.  Also will Sonar Plat allow for 2 different interfaces to work together?  If so I will hook back up my octa-capture and use it with the 01.  I got excited when I saw this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/MGP32X-32-Input-Hybrid-Digital-Analog-Mixer-with-USB-Rec-Play-and-Effects.gc#productDetail but I don't believe it is an interface.  So I am curious what you guys and gals are using and the pros/cons also.

www.jsuntylermusic.com
Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBWfLp0D4F0l_YWiQpN5AN_HbSpaIe8bk
Sonar Platinum |ASUS Desktop PC|Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz|8 GM of Memory|64Bit|Yamaha 01v96i|Motu MK3 Ultralite not active|Roland Octa Capture not active|Motif XS7|Ravenscroft 275 VST|KOMPLETE 10

31 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/28 19:15:33 (permalink)
    Like most it is a 2 channel stereo USB interface.
    The board you have is a 16x 16 audio interface,,, that's a lot of channels. not many studios need more than that.
    Are you still have trouble figuring out the routing for headphone cues?
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2016/09/28 19:39:43

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

BMOG
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/28 19:36:22 (permalink)
    Only 12 inputs for xlr and analog, it does phantom power in blocks of 4 channels, If I truly had 16 inputs I would be good. No the routing I have figured out with your help and others. I can now mix in the 01 which is very cool.
    post edited by BMOG - 2016/09/28 20:02:02

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    Sonar Platinum |ASUS Desktop PC|Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz|8 GM of Memory|64Bit|Yamaha 01v96i|Motu MK3 Ultralite not active|Roland Octa Capture not active|Motif XS7|Ravenscroft 275 VST|KOMPLETE 10
    BMOG
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/28 19:43:19 (permalink)
    Any takers on using two interfaces at the same time?

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/28 20:20:14 (permalink)
    Bmog,

Maybe too ignorant to be ignorant, and from the vantage of hard wired PCI cards, but...

Two different M-Audio cards on my system wired together via SPDF.  Expands 8 channels to 10 channels, and honestly have never had to use them all at one time. Anticipated what would the need be with a group of acoustic musicians with multiple mics on a drum or something. Never happened so far to go beyond the 10 channels.
     You can likely sync two sources, each at 16 channels to get 32 at a time with excellent clock sync. Same mfg should allow the same driver to be shared with both units. Question is, do you really need 32 channels at once? Potential is there for the right price, but is it needed or practical.

John

BMOG
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/28 20:32:22 (permalink)
    JohnKenn
    Bmog,

Maybe too ignorant to be ignorant, and from the vantage of hard wired PCI cards, but...

Two different M-Audio cards on my system wired together via SPDF.  Expands 8 channels to 10 channels, and honestly have never had to use them all at one time. Anticipated what would the need be with a group of acoustic musicians with multiple mics on a drum or something. Never happened so far to go beyond the 10 channels.
     You can likely sync two sources, each at 16 channels to get 32 at a time with excellent clock sync. Same mfg should allow the same driver to be shared with both units. Question is, do you really need 32 channels at once? Potential is there for the right price, but is it needed or practical.

John

Thanks for the reply dont really need 32 but I need more than 12 and I ran across this while researching does this apply to Plat?

Those running Cakewalk's Sonar from version 2.2 onwards have the option of using ASIO drivers, but choosing the WDM/KS (Windows Driver Model/Kernel Streaming) driver option instead lets you assemble a composite interface from any combination of the stereo inputs and outputs that appear in the drop-down Sonar list. Since WDM/KS drivers bypass Microsoft's kernel mixer (which is normally used to mix the outputs from multiple audio applications into one stereo stream), this option can provide very low latency. However, quite a few musicians also seem to have used the feature to assemble an ad hoc arrangement of interfaces from different manufacturers. As long as you lock their clocks together in some way (see 'Locking The Clocking' box), they should be able to exist in perfect harmony.

http://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.clou...4jy=&itok=sBmcp7gK

I have had bad results with WDM driver for Sonar

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    Cactus Music
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/28 22:32:00 (permalink)
    Depending on the device you can run in WDM mode while recording and use 2 ( or more?) audio interfaces. WDM is not the greatest for latency so best to then swicth back to ASIO for overdubs and working with soft synths. 
    I did a loop back test and found that in WDM mode my tracks where out of sync. This will vary from device to device. 
    My Scarlett does not have WDM drivers so I can't use it but my Tascam us1641 runs fine on WDM.
    I think the WDM driver needs to be available via windows and not every device has it. 

And the good news is Yamaha mixers uses Stienberg drivers which are good to go in WDM mode. At least it worked for me when I tested it using a Yamaha analogue mixer my band bought and paired it up with my Tascam. The board only had the stereo USB output but it gave me 2 more channels with the board mix on my live recordings. 

So a solution for you would be a Tascam 16x08 which is the new version of the us1641 and us1800,  only $300, good drivers,, good pre amps and an extra 16 channels. 
     http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US16x08

They actually only have 14 analogue inputs but you could use the SPDIF via the Yamaha 01v as well. That is still how I connect my 01v to my system,, SPDIF    
    My Tascam is a great interface for recording a band, and even better with the new drivers Tascam took the trouble to produce. And the price hasn't change, I paid the same $299 for mine at least 8 years ago. 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2016/09/28 23:00:40

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Cactus Music
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/28 22:45:49 (permalink)
    Update, I see the new us16x08 is now different than the us1641 and us1800. It now has NO SPDIF but has the full 16 analogue inputs and 8 analogue outputs.   
    Everything else seems the same. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

BMOG
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/29 04:59:15 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    Depending on the device you can run in WDM mode while recording and use 2 ( or more?) audio interfaces. WDM is not the greatest for latency so best to then swicth back to ASIO for overdubs and working with soft synths. 
    I did a loop back test and found that in WDM mode my tracks where out of sync. This will vary from device to device. 
    My Scarlett does not have WDM drivers so I can't use it but my Tascam us1641 runs fine on WDM.
    I think the WDM driver needs to be available via windows and not every device has it. 

And the good news is Yamaha mixers uses Stienberg drivers which are good to go in WDM mode. At least it worked for me when I tested it using a Yamaha analogue mixer my band bought and paired it up with my Tascam. The board only had the stereo USB output but it gave me 2 more channels with the board mix on my live recordings. 

So a solution for you would be a Tascam 16x08 which is the new version of the us1641 and us1800,  only $300, good drivers,, good pre amps and an extra 16 channels. 
     http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US16x08

They actually only have 14 analogue inputs but you could use the SPDIF via the Yamaha 01v as well. That is still how I connect my 01v to my system,, SPDIF    
    My Tascam is a great interface for recording a band, and even better with the new drivers Tascam took the trouble to produce. And the price hasn't change, I paid the same $299 for mine at least 8 years ago. 

This is great news I wonder how the octa-capture responds to WDM?

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    BMOG
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/29 05:20:23 (permalink)
    I guess this answers my question but now I am cuious to the advantage or disadvantage of asio vs wdm? http://forum.cakewalk.com...aspx?m=3079857&p=1

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/29 08:13:42 (permalink)
    BMOG

By definition, ASIO only allows a single audio interface driver to be running.
    Some companies get around this by allowing several different audio interfaces to use the same ASIO driver.
    In this scenario, the multiple audio interfaces function as a single unit.

You can use WDM to address multiple audio interfaces, but then you have clocking issues, higher latency, etc.
    Not an ideal solution.

If you need 32-channels of I/O, consider a Behringer X32 with a Lynx AES-16 with AES-50 port.
    The Lynx card provides 32-channels of I/O connected to the X32's AES-50 port via a single CAT-5/6 cable.
    Super low round-trip latency... and rock-solid performance.

If you're not looking for an actual digital mixer, have a look at the new MOTU AVB series.
    You can run multiple units under a single ASIO driver... to configure just about any type/number of I/O required.
    Excellent fidelity, super low round-trip latency, rock-solid drivers

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    BMOG
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/29 13:28:09 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    BMOG

By definition, ASIO only allows a single audio interface driver to be running.
    Some companies get around this by allowing several different audio interfaces to use the same ASIO driver.
    In this scenario, the multiple audio interfaces function as a single unit.

You can use WDM to address multiple audio interfaces, but then you have clocking issues, higher latency, etc.
    Not an ideal solution.

If you need 32-channels of I/O, consider a Behringer X32 with a Lynx AES-16 with AES-50 port.
    The Lynx card provides 32-channels of I/O connected to the X32's AES-50 port via a single CAT-5/6 cable.
    Super low round-trip latency... and rock-solid performance.

If you're not looking for an actual digital mixer, have a look at the new MOTU AVB series.
    You can run multiple units under a single ASIO driver... to configure just about any type/number of I/O required.
    Excellent fidelity, super low round-trip latency, rock-solid drivers

Thanks Jim I am still wrapping head around this topic but getting closer. For example based off your theory on ASIO because I have one 01v96i working fine using ASIO if I got a second 01v96i connected via ADAT I would use ASIO for both or would I need to use WDM?

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    Jim Roseberry
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/29 14:58:52 (permalink)
    BMOG
    Thanks Jim I am still wrapping head around this topic but getting closer. For example based off your theory on ASIO because I have one 01v96i working fine using ASIO if I got a second 01v96i connected via ADAT I would use ASIO for both or would I need to use WDM?

I don't believe the Yamaha ASIO driver allows running two 01v96i units to double the I/O.

The O1v96i has a single Lightpipe I/O.
    If you connected a second O1v96i to the first via Lightpipe, it's adding 8 additional channels of I/O to the first.
    In this scenario, you're still only using the first O1v96i as an audio interface.
    This would work just fine.  Probably not worth the expense of a second O1v96i for an additional 8 channels.
    You can get an 8-channel preamp with Analog>Lightpipe (A/D) for a lot less.

If you're wanting to use two O1v96i mixers (both routed to your DAW - for double the I/O), your only option would be to run WDM drivers.  Both O1v96i units would need to share a common clock.  You'd have to make one the word-clock master... and the other the slave.  For the money spent, this is far from ideal.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/29 15:00:50 (permalink)
    Still trying to track the video down and will post it if/when I find it, but what it does is show the use of dual Tascam US-16x08 interfaces to provide 16 mic pres over a single USB cable. The US-16x08 defaults to a straight-through 8 mic preamp, feeding the 8 XLR inputs directly to the 8 line outputs, when no USB is present. The 8 line outputs are cabled to the second US-16x08's 8 line inputs (IN9-IN16). With this setup, you do lose the ability to directly plug a guitar/bass into IN9 or IN10. But we all use DIs with XLR outputs, right? 

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/29 18:54:30 (permalink)
    One option is to add ADAT units for extra channels, if the audio interface supports ADAT. No need for running more than one audio driver that way.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 07:41:02 (permalink)
    BMOG

multiple interfaces via ASIO works ONLY if the driver was originally designed to work with more than one device of the SAME brand.

Roland used to do this with the VS system that also tied into the Octa-Capture (VS-700 and OctaCapture together gave me 24 IN @ 44.1 kHz, 20 IN @ 96 kHz)

I believe RME provides this option for all their interfaces (??)

MOTU with their AVB series is taking it to usability peaks. 2 of these units just replaced my older Roland system, options are mind blowing (although I sat several hours figuring out the best way to route everything)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    BMOG
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 08:45:47 (permalink)
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]
    BMOG

multiple interfaces via ASIO works ONLY if the driver was originally designed to work with more than one device of the SAME brand.

Roland used to do this with the VS system that also tied into the Octa-Capture (VS-700 and OctaCapture together gave me 24 IN @ 44.1 kHz, 20 IN @ 96 kHz)

MOTU with their AVB series is taking it to usability peaks. 2 of these units just replaced my older Roland system, options are mind blowing (although I sat several hours figuring out the best way to route everything)

I am a fan of Motu to connect your motus which driver did you use?

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 09:34:53 (permalink)
    BMOG
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]
    BMOG

I'm using the latest AVB PRO driver with the super low latency - although this still beta and some users have connections issues with it (which I only see rarely)

The "official" USB only driver supports the same features as regards routing, but at somewhat higher latency
    post edited by Rob[at]Sound-Rehab - 2016/09/30 09:56:22

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Jim Roseberry
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 09:36:39 (permalink)
    BMOG

You'll want to use the MOTU AVB ASIO driver.

MOTU has really upped their game with the AVB series.
    The routing options are deep... so you'll need to spend some time working with that aspect.
    Once you have your particular methods and routing sussed out, it's not hard to use.
    You can also save presets of your routing/mixing configuration.
    The AVB series is similar to a digital console... sans the tactile knobs/faders.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 09:38:22 (permalink)
    TheMaartian
    Still trying to track the video down and will post it if/when I find it, but what it does is show the use of dual Tascam US-16x08 interfaces to provide 16 mic pres over a single USB cable. The US-16x08 defaults to a straight-through 8 mic preamp, feeding the 8 XLR inputs directly to the 8 line outputs, when no USB is present. The 8 line outputs are cabled to the second US-16x08's 8 line inputs (IN9-IN16). With this setup, you do lose the ability to directly plug a guitar/bass into IN9 or IN10. But we all use DIs with XLR outputs, right? 

Tascam Video can be found here:
    http://tascam.com/product/us-16x08/getting_started/ 

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    BMOG
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 10:46:16 (permalink)
    So I decided to experiment different driver settings for my 01v96i
    WDM\KS
    Right away I get an error "The Following drivers either do not support the current audio format, or are in use by another application.  Please choose whether you want to disable them or use them anyway.  Now to add windows is using the 01 as it's sound card also.  I choose Use Anyway. In the device section there is only one input and output option for the 01v96i.  From a track perspective, there are no options for inputs and for outputs there is Left, Right and Center.  I am disappointed :(

WASPI
    Right away I get an error "The Following drivers either do not support the current audio format, or are in use by another application.  Please choose whether you want to disable them or use them anyway.
    The only device that shows up is Line (Yamaha 01v96i) which is how it shows up for my computer as a sound source. From a track perspective, there are no options for inputs and for outputs there is Left, Right and Center.

ASIO works properly

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    Cactus Music
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 10:58:02 (permalink)
    My experiments with using WDM mode had mixed results depending on the audio interface and the driver. 
    I need to do this test again as a lot has changed in my system since including the updated Tascam drivers. 
    Below is my us1641 loop back test with a midi track triggering session drummer. I then run my output back and record to a new track. I tried different modes and differnt buffers. Buffers made no differance at all. The offset stays the same at any setting. But you can clearly see that ASIO was early, WDM was way late. 
    The test of other interfaces gave varying results. My Scarlett was bang on and did not have a WDM mode option, , my Card Delux PCI was bang on in both modes. My Behringer usb 22 was way off. 

http://www.cactusmusic.ca...scam%20test%20copy.jpg
    Top track MIDI patten
    2nd TRack Audio bounce of midi 
    3rd track ASIO normal buffer setting loop back recording
    4th track ASIO highest buffer setting loop back recording 
    5th track WDM loop back recording 

But as I originally said, you can use WDM to record a band live using the multiple interface. My results where the tracks lined up perfectly. You don't normally need the channel count once the main session with drums etc is finished so you switch back to one interface running ASIO to continue with editing and overdubs. 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2016/10/01 00:23:04

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

patm300e
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 12:31:16 (permalink)
    I use the Behringer XR18 - Which has 18 channels input (17 & 18 are a stereo pair 1-16 XLR, 1 & 2 Hi Z capable).
    6 Aux outs, Monitor Out, Main, L/R Out.  All connected via USB 2.0.

Works great.  It is also a digital Mixer!

Here is link:
    http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital-Mixers/XR18/p/P0BI8

I send the Monitor Out to Rane HC-6 headphone amplifier.

It also has the Ultranet built in which can send 16 channels to a user adjustable device:
    http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/In-Ear-Monitor-Systems/P16-M/p/P0421

The one drawback of the XR18 is it only supports 24-bit at 44.1K or 48 KHz.  It does say it has 114 DB of dynamic range with 0.8 ms latency though! YMMV!
    post edited by patm300e - 2016/09/30 12:57:39

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    patm300e
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 12:37:49 (permalink)
    BTW BMOG, your music sounds really good!  When I get home I plan to get Sailing.  Love that song and what you did there!

post edited by patm300e - 2016/09/30 12:59:26

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 12:53:55 (permalink)
    patm300e
    TheMaartian

Tascam Video can be found here:
    http://tascam.com/product/us-16x08/getting_started/ 

Ahhh. It wasn't a video. It's the story below it about the home studio of Masayuki Muraishi. Thanks! I just didn't scroll down far enough. Doh!

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    BMOG
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 12:55:34 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    My experiments with using WDM mode had mixed results depending on the audio interface and the driver. 
    I need to do this test again as a lot has changed in my system since including the updated Tascam drivers. 
    Below is my us1641 loop back test with a midi track triggering session drummer. I then run my output back and record to a new track. I tried different modes and differnt buffers. Buffers made no differance at all. The offset stays the same at any setting. But you can clearly see that ASIO was early, WDM was way late. 
    The test of other interfaces gave varying results. My Scarlett was bang on and did not have a WDM mode option, , my Card Delux PCI was bang on in both modes. My Behringer usb 22 was way off. 

http://www.cactusmusic.ca...scam%20test%20copy.jpg

But as I originally said, you can use WDM to record a band live using the multiple interface. My results where the tracks lined up perfectly. You don't normally need the channel count once the main session with drums etc is finished so you switch back to one interface running ASIO to continue with editing and overdubs. 

Your post inspired me to do a test of my own of a full loop back for latency.  Here is my setup let me know if I did it correctly.

Input track from 01 using AD 1 and AD2 to  track in sonar using Yamaha usb 1 and 2
    Output is to a bus I named Keys which is going back into 01via channel 17 and 18
    I can control the volume of the track using the channel slider of 17 and 18 from 01
    I recorded some audio and midi tracks using the metronome as my way of seeing if I had latency issues and I did not.  Is this a true latency test?

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    patm300e
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 12:59:58 (permalink)
    TheMaartian
    Ahhh. It wasn't a video. It's the story below it about the home studio of Masayuki Muraishi. Thanks! I just didn't scroll down far enough. Doh!

NP, they block most videos here at work, so I could not see the video, but do remember the story below.  I was considering buying the two Tascam 16x08s when I found my XR-18.  I replaced my interface AND a Mackie 1640 (read HEAVY) mixer with it.

Jim Roseberry
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 14:13:41 (permalink)
    BMOG
    I recorded some audio and midi tracks using the metronome as my way of seeing if I had latency issues and I did not.  Is this a true latency test?

FWIW, That doesn't really test for latency... 
    As long as the audio interface driver reports the correct amount of latency, the audio tracks are lined up properly in time.  Thus, they should all align properly... regardless of latency.

Sonar will report the round-trip latency of your audio interface... at a given sample-rate and buffer size.

If you're strictly monitoring via the digital mixer (not via software), then the latency when recording is a moot point.
    You're not hearing it when recording... and it's compensated upon playback.

Two scenarios where latency is an issue:
    • If you wish to monitor in realtime thru software based EFX/processing, you're dealing with round-trip latency.
    • If you wish to play soft-synths in realtime, you're dealing with one-way (playback) latency.

Round-trip latency is the sum of the following:
    • ASIO input buffer
    • ASIO output buffer
    • A/D and D/A converters
    • The driver's safety-buffer (often hidden - can't be tweaked)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    BMOG
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 14:25:49 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    BMOG

FWIW, That doesn't really test for latency... 
    As long as the audio interface driver reports the correct amount of latency, the audio tracks are lined up properly in time.  Thus, they should all align properly... regardless of latency.

Sonar will report the round-trip latency of your audio interface... at a given sample-rate and buffer size.

If you're strictly monitoring via the digital mixer (not via software), then the latency when recording is a moot point.
    You're not hearing it when recording... and it's compensated upon playback.

Two scenarios where latency is an issue:
    • If you wish to monitor in realtime thru software based EFX/processing, you're dealing with round-trip latency.
    • If you wish to play soft-synths in realtime, you're dealing with one-way (playback) latency.

Round-trip latency is the sum of the following:
    • ASIO input buffer
    • ASIO output buffer
    • A/D and D/A converters
    • The driver's safety-buffer (often hidden - can't be tweaked)

Thanks for the info

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    Cactus Music
    Re: 32 Channel Interface or Two Different Interfaces at once 2016/09/30 23:49:52 (permalink)
    My test is not a latency test,,, it to test the accuracy of the offset that Sonar calculates so your tracks will be in snyc when you overdub. 
    Because of latency Sonar needs to do this.
    Sonar needs to calculate latency of the system and driver and adjust the playback so that overdubs are put down in sync with the existing tracks. If your input latency is say 10 ms your overdubs would end up being 10 sec late on the time line. Your output also has latency so what your playing along to has to be factored into the equation. 

So the audio driver seems to be what Sonar has to rely on to figure out how much it will move things around. If the driver lies to Sonar it will result in the tracks being out of sync. This is not Sonars fault, it can only do what the driver is telling it what to do. 
    So the loop back test is more or less a way to test the accuracy of driver. 
    From what you say your system is working correctly. 

The test is simple as explained above. 

Use a MIDI drum pattern. 
    Trigger any soft synth drum.  Bounce to audio. At this point you can see that these line up correctly.
     Then send that audio out of your interface and use a short cable to bring it back to any input. 
    Record that input to an audio track and zoom in to see if the new recording lines up with the audio from the original. simple. Sonar allows you to adjust the offset if it is wrong,, but myself if it's wrong you need to buy a better interface. 

in my screen shot 
    Top track MIDI patten
    2nd TRack Audio bounce of midi 
    3rd track ASIO normal buffer setting loop back recording
    4th track ASIO highest buffer setting loop back recording 
    5th track WDM loop back recording 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2016/10/01 00:22:01

Johnny V  
    Cakelab