Helpful ReplyEdirol PCR MIDI Keyboard driver missing - Fixed !

Author
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
2016/10/01 04:49:51 (permalink)

Edirol PCR MIDI Keyboard driver missing - Fixed !

I let my Win 10 Pro DAW update and now the PCR driver is reported as uninstalled as I found I had a non functioning keyboard controller. I remember going through a few hoops to install the driver when i upgraded to Win 10 - Anyone else encountered this. I really dont want to spend to upgrade the keyboard - it generally does what I need it to....

Windows 10 upgrades starting to make me uneasy now....any suggestions how to fix this ?

post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2016/10/01 10:48:04

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Edirol PCR MIDI Keyboard driver missing 2016/10/01 06:51:13 (permalink)
I had my PCR 500 working in Win 10 initially with the hacked Win 8 driver.  However, after the Win 10 Anniversary Update it ceased to work.  Reinstalling the hacked driver did not work.  Being I know enough about PC's to be "dangerous" I tried several other things but nothing I did would allow it to work.  I sold the PCR500 to a person that is still using Windows XP.   I didn't use it much (only three times that I remember) and only had a MIDI keyboard as I bought it cheap when Guitar Center was blowing out the discontinued PCR line.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Garry Stubbs
Re: Edirol PCR MIDI Keyboard driver missing 2016/10/01 10:26:33 (permalink)
Hey fireberd, thanks for the reply. I did manage to get the driver to work once again ! It sure is fiddly though and really shouldn't have to be done. Heres a copy and paste in a related thread I started in the Sonar section of the forum, on the lookout for a replacement controller in the event I could not get it to work again.

- in the last few minutes I have managed to get the old Edirol Win 8.1 driver and the PCR working on my Windows 10 Professional 64-bit system once again ! The difference this time, was finding out how to access hidden troubleshoot options on Win 10 anniversary edition via a <cntr> restart...once I could do this, I could disable driver verification, amend the install batch file from 8.1 to 10 and.....well my PCR lives to tell the tale once again, despite being stranded at 8.1 by Roland....

If anyone else drops by this thread in the future - this was the link that cracked it for me.
http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Don't forget, visit the thread also to learn how to change the install batch file to change references from Win 8.1 (The last version of the PCR driver produced by Roland) to 10

Hope this helps anyone else...

Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
fireberd
Re: Edirol PCR MIDI Keyboard driver missing 2016/10/01 12:48:11 (permalink)
I tried disabling driver signature on mine and it still didn't help. 

I was one of the first ones that got the PCR going in Win 10.  I already had experience hacking the Win 8.1 drivers for the Roland Octa-Capture that I had at the time (Roland later updated the Octa-Capture drivers to Win 10 plug and play). 

As I noted, it wasn't a big or even minor loss since I really didn't use it (I think the last time I used it was two years ago).

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Garry Stubbs
Re: Edirol PCR MIDI Keyboard driver missing 2016/10/01 12:59:49 (permalink)
Yes, it all seems very hit and miss, fireberd. I totally understand obsolescence and all that, but my PCR as a piece of hardware works perfectly for my purposes, and it would really have stuck in the craw if I would have had to shell out this weeks for say, an equivalent replacement such as a Roland A-PRO series, which of course I guess might be part of Rolands thinking when they neglected to update the PCR drivers beyond Windows 8.1.

So, currently, with my minor success earlier getting the driver reinstalled after the Windows 10 anniversary update, I feel a little like I have won a small victory over 'the man' and will celebrate by perhaps pootling over a toon or two with my trusty PCR later this evening.

synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Edirol PCR MIDI Keyboard driver missing 2016/10/01 17:12:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fleer 2016/10/02 11:55:20
My PCR is still in the shed... I should just chuck it away but I can't bring myself to do it. I tried all sorts of things to get it working, followed all the tips here, but to no avail. I have since replaced it with a relatively cheap but functional 49 key Acorn Instruments Masterkey keyboard.

I also have a load of MIDIman USB/MIDI interfaces... So depressing having to dump stuff just because someone has decided that they no longer want to create updated drivers. I mean, I'm sure it wouldn't have taken much to do...

Apologies for the moan... I do this every time I see a PCR topic 

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
fireberd
Re: Edirol PCR MIDI Keyboard driver missing 2016/10/02 07:11:04 (permalink)
A rant on Roland.  Because of the problems with Roland products (at least what I had) and Win 10, I'm through with Roland.  I sold the Octa-Capture and moved to MOTU for recording interface and I bought a cheap M-Audio USB connected keyboard in case I need one. 

Another Roland "gotcha".  The Octa-Capture developed a problem with the headphone output (I replaced the jack and that didn't help).  The headphone output is on a small separate circuit board, but Roland does not sell the small board alone, I would have had to buy a larger main board and the headphone board as part of a package ($250).  I sold it to a person that doesn't use the headphone jack.

"GCSG Productions"
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Edirol PCR MIDI Keyboard driver missing 2016/10/02 11:56:01 (permalink)
synkrotron
My PCR is still in the shed... I should just chuck it away but I can't bring myself to do it. I tried all sorts of things to get it working ...

Same here, on Mac. 

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
Westside Steve Simmons
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: Edirol PCR MIDI Keyboard driver missing 2016/10/02 18:52:12 (permalink)
I tried the sequence to disable the driver signing Bugaboo. I went into device manager and it will not update the drivers, but now I will restart it and see if that works.
*** Jeopardy music ***
And it does not.
Windows can't find the drivers or install them.

WSS
post edited by Westside Steve Simmons - 2016/10/02 19:14:07
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1