Helpful ReplyNewb question regarding EQ?

Author
mojazzmo69
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2016/10/07 13:55:57 (permalink)

Newb question regarding EQ?

Hey all....this is going to sound like a really stupid question but here goes....
When I've recorded in a larger pro studio, they are working with a large board and every channel has EQ etc... They tweak bass, mids and treble on the board when getting sounds for vocal, guitars, drums etc...so now when I'm recording at home with my computer and Sonar, I don't have the "Board" with EQ on it so should I be putting an EQ plugin on every track and if I'm doing a guitar track with an amp sim like S-Gear, where should the EQ go in the chain? I typically am running a plugin OD-Sgear-reverb-delay as my basic chain. Also, any advice where I might put a compressor/limiter in that chain? Thanks in advance. I know these are really basic things but I appreciate your wisdom here.

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 15:07:43 (permalink)
You should put an EQ plug only on tracks that require EQ. How do you know if a track requires EQ? Ask your ears.
mojazzmo69
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 15:12:51 (permalink)
I agree with your statement but if I was in a commercial studio, the producer would be adjusting bass, mids, treble on the board before it goes into the DAW. So what I'm trying to figure out is how does one replicate that without a board so to speak? It seems like a missing pc of the chain.
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 15:36:22 (permalink)
mojazzmo69
I agree with your statement but if I was in a commercial studio, the producer would be adjusting bass, mids, treble on the board before it goes into the DAW. So what I'm trying to figure out is how does one replicate that without a board so to speak? It seems like a missing pc of the chain.

you can / should adjust your sound on the way into the DAW in such a way that you like it and it fits the performance. there are zillions of way to do that, the EQ on the board is just a small piece of it which you can (probably should) leave for the mixing process. e.g. for guitar create a good guitar sound using pedals, amps, mics and capture it using a good preamp. leave the EQs for later. Sonar Platinum gives you a 4 band EQ + high and low cut per channel which you can use to place the guitar in the mix later on (or you could us any other EQ plugin) ...

if you EQ on the way into the DAW you should pretty much know the sound you want to get, because once you take frequencies out in the recording process, you can't get them back unless you re-record ...
post edited by Rob[at]Sound-Rehab - 2016/10/07 15:58:42

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
mojazzmo69
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 15:48:29 (permalink)
Thanks Rob. I appreciate the reply. When you say Sonar has a 4 band Eq per channel, is that a plugin or is there an EQ strip I'm not seeing. I have this issue of older projects that look completely different from when I open a new project in Sonar. Thanks in advance.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 17:15:05 (permalink)
It might help to know which version of SONAR this is about. Many versions of SONAR have a per-track EQ built in. Keep in mind all versions of SONAR record incoming audio dry so while it is possible to add a EQ (or any plug-in) and hear the result by enabling input echo, the recorded clip will not contain the affected audio.
mojazzmo69
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 17:21:28 (permalink)
Sonar Platinum.
arlen2133
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 601
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 17:27:48 (permalink)
Mojazzmo,
The templates that come with SPLAT (Sonar Platinum) are typically set up with prochannel and the QuadCurve EQ on each channel. 
As for older projects, you can either migrate them to new templates or simply "add" the prochannel EQ to the channels needed.
The first option will help you get a more uniformed "look" as you were mentioning..

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 17:36:48 (permalink)
mojazzmo69

You're right, that bit isn't there in Sonar itself. It also isn't there in whatever DAW your commercial producer is using in the studio. As you said, the producer tweeks EQ on the board on the way into the DAW. If you feel strongly that you should be replicating that at home, then its time to go board shopping. Or if you're generally only recording on instrument at a time, perhaps its time to go shopping for a rack channel strip/pre-amp/eq.

But here's the important thing to remember. There is not going to be much difference between applying eq to your signal on the way in to be recorded vs applying that same eq to the signal during mixing. I'm not foolish enough to say there would be no difference (although I personally feel this is the case) because someone will surely cite some esoteric example of how the Beatles or Zappa or Hendrix got some amazing sound that could only happen by using eq on the way in. But I ain't no Hendrix and I'm perfectly ok with that.

The bottom line is I've done it both ways and I've never felt the end result suffered by not using EQ on the way in to the DAW. I mean if my source sounds so awful on the way in that I really need to eq it before recording, I'm probably going to solve the issue more organically, i.e. different mic or placement, different instrument or amp settings etc. 
post edited by JohanSebatianGremlin - 2016/10/07 17:59:24
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 17:39:54 (permalink)
Platinum has a QuadCurve EQ in every audio/instrument/aux track and bus and several other EQ plug-ins which may be added to tracks and buses. Still audio is recorded dry.
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 17:40:46 (permalink)

I record straight into Sonar. I have the "essentials" version so my EQ is limited in the channel strip. There is a basic EQ in there but I never use it.

You should be attempting to get a very clean and natural sound from your sources..... microphone, guitar processor, etc.... The goal is to get a natural sound into the track.   Regardless of whether you have channel EQ or not, your aim should be to use as little EQ as possible on the tracks to get the job done.  Some of the tracks, in some of the song projects I write and produce, have ZERO EQ on them. They are raw,  just like they came into the DAW. That's because, in my humble opinion, listening to them on my studio speakers, they don't need any sonic shaping. Midi with good samples tends to fall into this category.

The engineer you described, setting at the board twirling knobs and moving faders is doing the job of evening out the sound as he/she hears it.  Again.... the goal is to do as little to the sound at the board as needed to get that natural sound. The engineer is often having to deal with a variety of experience levels and gear quality on the other side of the glass.  As home studio folks, we can often get things set up for consistent results without a bunch of board wizardry.

Recording raw, non-EQ'd tracks may not be your idea way to record. But if you don't have a board with EQ or an external EQ module, you have to record the tracks raw.  So in those cases, popping some EQ into the track as an FX on playback is perfectly fine. It's exactly how I work.  I have set up a number of my Cakewalk EQ's as presets to use for vocal, acoustic guitar, piano brighteners, drum and bass enhancers..... just so I don't have to start from scratch every time. Most EQ's use very little processing power on the modern computers so there's no problem with using them. I also use them on busses rather than always in the individual tracks.

So, all of my tracks go straight into Sonar directly from the mic with no pre processing to that point.  That's not to say you can't do that, or shouldn't do that.... the important thing to know and understand is if you're going to use EQ pre or post..... know why you're using it and what it's doing to the sound.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/07 19:55:05 (permalink)
Play with it. Turn it up, turn it down. Move it all around.

You'll figure it out.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/11 10:17:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JohanSebatianGremlin 2016/10/11 13:23:25
1st, mic placement.  You'll find all kinds of "fun" just using this technique.  Hint, it helps to have a room without big problems since the farther and more off-axis the mic is, the more bad room tone can creep in.

2nd, external hardware.  I use a channel strip or patchbayed one in lieu of a mixer w/ EQ.  While a less expensive Mackie etc. can work, most pro studios have a significant investment in their boards - or the ones that still have them.   So, I'm sorry, but a $50 per-channel board is not going to give you the same sound as a $50K board or an external $1000 preamp with a $2000 EQ.  The ProChannel EQ in SONAR is a much better EQ than a $20 hardware EQ.  Stick with in the box and learn how you want to use all the incredible power of SONAR effects. 

3rd, defining your sound (as much as possible) before it hits your converters is a great method, but is destructive; ie, you can't undo what you've recorded.  A singer just about killed me when her favorite take of a song was ... over-saturated since I was trying out the Warm Audio La2a-style optical compressor.  Too much hair for a jazzy standard, or even R&R.  She was so p ... upset she wouldn't do another take and I had to use a previous one.  That is the danger with working on the front end, but the payoff is nice since that is the fun part of tracking (to me) and makes mixing so much easier.  And this is where it really helps to have experience.  I think it was John Boorman's cinematographer who always asked the camera assistant if they had ever left the lens cap on during a take.  If they answered no, he wouldn't hire them because they were either lying or ruin his shot. 

Finally, you should always have a reason to reach for an EQ or comp.  It ain't Everest - you don't use them because they are there.  They help fix problems, and it is fairly to easy to create more problems than you solve.  I don't know how many times I've worked on a track in a mix looking for a sound, switch the effects out and say "that sounds better now."

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
gswitz
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/12 07:54:11 (permalink)
@AT
When I record using compression, I first record clean, then send out to the compressor and back in to the interface so I get two tracks. The star can monitor the compressed track and we have both in case there is any problem with the compression.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/12 10:01:24 (permalink)
A thought has just occurred to me.

Is it possible that the engineer with the big desk wasn't eqing the feed to the DAW/tape at all, but setting up the foldback/monitor mix? Splitting the recording and foldback lines pre-eq, either using a splitter or hooking the recorder up to lines taken put of the desk's channel inserts, is pretty common practice, or certainly used to be.

As for eqing at the recording stage, personally I might use a high pass filter at that point, but other than that all compression, gating and eqing is for foldback only with the DAW getting the "raw" signal. That way there's nothing that can't be undone.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/12 10:11:00 (permalink)
there is no point in NOT eq'ing for the mix.
that is the end result.

when you know how to use eq properly,
you commit going in.

you finesse it at mixdown ITB, or OTB

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/12 10:57:29 (permalink)
gswitz, that is a good method and safer.  My band's guitarist is always crabbing about too much compression, but we know each other's taste now.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
gswitz
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/12 19:47:19 (permalink)
I almost never compress a tube distorted guitar more. I let the guitarist set the sound.

Everything else, it depends. When live mixing I use EQ and compression liberally, but I record without. The RME has EQ and compressor for every input and output. To stack them, I use loopback.

I will say it helps the singer to perform into the compressor so she hears it as she works it.

For that, like I said, I record the direct, send to the compressor, back into the interface for monitoring the compressed signal. You can then also do parallel compression by mixing in the untouched track.

Sometimes I record with several Mics at once for the singer when tracking so we can pick the favorite after the fact.

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/12 20:11:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2016/10/12 20:16:02
batsbrew
there is no point in NOT eq'ing for the mix.
that is the end result.

when you know how to use eq properly,
you commit going in.

you finesse it at mixdown ITB, or OTB

I can see the wisdom of this. Especially from a small commercial studio point of view where time is money, i.e. get em' in, get it down, get em' gone as fast as possible. But my studio is my own and not for hire so time is not money for me. So for me, there is never any advantage to committing to any kind of processing on the way into the recorder.

For me, one of the core ideas behind the concept of having a recording facility is the ability to experiment. If I commit to eq or compression on the way in, I limit my experimentation options later. Why have a studio at home if you're not going to experiment with it?
Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/12 22:09:34 (permalink)
If you need to eq etc. during recording you can use an Aux or patchpoint track. Place your eq, compressor plugin on the source track and arm the aux or Patchpoint track for record. This is a nice feature in sonar for those who do not have outboard gear and like tailoring on the way in.

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
thedukewestern
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/24 17:25:10 (permalink)
I use s-gear - a lot as well..  when I do  my input signal chain for guitar is this:  Stompbox (occasionally a fuzz or compressor that I like) - focusrite isa pre-amp routed to channel 1 of my interface to record the direct signal - I take the direct instrument out of the isa 1 preamp and send it to a tech 21 vt bass pedal routed to another channel of my interface.  My logic is - if you put a stomp in front of an amp - it should also go in front of s-gear.  Im not afraid to record a good stomp box instead of a plug in - although Ive done both.  

The thing I really like about s-gear is that it often responds very well to processing just like a guitar amp.  Many other ones dont exhibit as much raw information as s-gear.Im still waiting for them to come out with something that covers the heavy genres as well as their current selection.

all that said - you should treat s-gear like your amp... and show it a good clean signal with nice headroom.  

I rarely use the stereo options in s-gear and often opt for a mono out with none of their verbs, as I use other ones, such as psp's spring reverb.

If I want the verb to sound like its coming from the amp, I will put the verb before any eq, or compression.   If I want to create the feel that the amp is in the same space as other instruments, I will eq and compress a little (or alot) and send a post fader send to a "Room" verb buss (or aux track)

As far as your original question - I wouldn't worry about eq on the way in - unless you have a nice channel strip made for that.  I occassionally use an focusrite isa session pack, which has some nice analog features, ( a nice pre-amp, eq, and compression/de-esser section. ) Its helpful of I am working with someone else for example.  However when recording myself, its often a little laborious to go through all those steps.

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Newb question regarding EQ? 2016/10/26 06:44:16 (permalink)
If you worry about guitar eq and you are recording direct through S-Gear, then S-Gear amp knobs are the most important eq in your signal chain, up to the point when you may not need any other eq elswhere on that track (perhaps except for high pass filter to make room for kick and bass).

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1