Designing cinematic drums part 3

Author
Chandler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 477
2016/10/14 13:25:59 (permalink)

Designing cinematic drums part 3

Here is the 3rd part of my series. In this one I focus on layering a randomization. Hopefully this will be useful to some of you out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHZHHPAdI0

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
My Youtube page

5 Replies Related Threads

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Designing cinematic drums part 3 2016/10/14 21:46:24 (permalink)
    Chandler
    Here is the 3rd part of my series. In this one I focus on layering a randomization. Hopefully this will be useful to some of you out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHZHHPAdI0

Thanks for sharing this series. Really awesome/helpful. Great stuff.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    Chandler
    Re: Designing cinematic drums part 3 2016/10/14 21:52:18 (permalink)
    Brando
    Thanks for sharing this series. Really awesome/helpful. Great stuff.

No problem. I'm just glad people are watching it.

My Youtube page
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Designing cinematic drums part 3 2016/10/15 15:40:31 (permalink)
    Thanks Chandler.  Interesting too how you got the random aspect to the patches involved such as the hold time before the attack segments in envelopes etc..

A couple of points of my own though and mainly through doing this quite a lot myself.  Manipulating the individual midi tracks only takes it a little further in my opinion and adds even more realism.  Such as copying the same midi part to say 6 tracks but going in and editing the notes in all of those copies. Timing and velocity.  By only using delays in your synth sound start times etc you are not making use of the sounds that can come before the beat rather than all on or later than the beat.  The beat is wider.

Changing individual velocities on the same note on all 4 copies also goes a long way towards making things sound more human.

For those who may have sampler options don’t be afraid to add in some real tom samples to the mix.  My Emulator for example allows you to gently modulate pitch with velocity so you can make each hit very slightly different too.  Get the filter opening and closing slightly to velocity too.  Adding in some sampled toms and low octave ones at that can add some amazing realism.  And nothing still beats a few live floor tom overdubs if you can also manage it.  The more tracks you do as well by the way makes it all way more spectacular as well.  eg 12 or 20 tracks of toms.  More tracks as well to pan from hard L to hard R.

I also prefer to not apply any reverbs to any individual sounds.  I get a better clearer reverb sound by sending only the whole drum mix into the reverb chamber at the end.  You also need to spend time on the overall drum reverb too.  It really has to match the drum sounds timewise and tone wise too.

But this video series has been excellent in terms of really getting into making the sounds with a synthesiser and they really bring home the idea of how much control you really do have over that drum hit.  Most synthesisers are excellent at making drum sounds.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Chandler
    Re: Designing cinematic drums part 3 2016/10/17 21:30:00 (permalink)
    Jeff - thanks for the feedback. You are right about the velocity. Although I don't think I can randomize the velocity, I'm pretty sure I can change the velocity curve, so all instances have different velocity responses. I should have done that, but I didn't think of it at the time.

I usually don't like to put hits ahead of the beat because IMO of things are off it sounds worse than behind the beat. That said I should have explained a way to do it. You can easily do it with the method, by shifting the midi of 1 or 2 tracks by a few ms. That was some hits will be ahead and some behind.

Layering with real drums is a great idea. It gives things a more natural sound and creates a different texture. The reason I used the same reverb for all of them was just laziness and speed. It sounded ok, wasn't killing my CPU, and I didn't want to spend more time creating an extra reverb send. In actual practice doing it with 1 verb for everything would be my preference too. Unfortunately many people on YouTube have short attention spans, so I'm trying not to make my videos too long, although I might be failing on that front. Anyway, thanks for watching and commenting.

My Youtube page
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Designing cinematic drums part 3 2016/10/17 21:48:32 (permalink)
    Yeah thanks again for your videos.  I really enjoyed them.  They really got me back to using synths and getting right in deep and fiddling parameters to make killer tom sounds and you can.

Next time I have to do a cinematic tom groove I will still be doing live overdubs and things but I will definitely get into making some great synth patches to mix in with the rest.  I think they will tend to take it away from the total live sound that I usually get and just steer the sound in a slightly different direction.  A better one for sure.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1