Helpful ReplySonar really needs a sampler.

Author
bladetragic
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 503
2016/10/16 06:40:40 (permalink)
4.33 (9)

Sonar really needs a sampler.

This is one of the biggest holes in Sonar imo.  A well integrated drag and drop type of sampler to trigger, edit, and manipulate loops and one shots.  There's very good examples out there of where to start.  Something along the lines of Ableton's Simpler/Sampler (probably the best out there right now) or something even as simple as Studio One's SampleOne.  This is very critical for electronic musicians/producers who are not in the world of live instrumentation.  Yes, there are 3rd party options like Kontakt/Battery, but the point is you really shouldn't need a third party app for this relatively basic functionality that a lot of the main competing DAWs have out of the box.  Plus, those apps can be buggy and resource heavy sometimes (not to mention pricey) when all I want to do is something basic like edit and trigger a drum sound or sample. 

I think DropZone may be a good starting point/foundation, but it definitely needs an overhaul/update, and some additional functionality. And the fact that it has not been updated to 64bit makes me think there may be some sort of issue with it.

This is just my observation and opinion based off of what I've seen while networking and collaborating with a lot of different producers and musicians.
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2016/10/16 07:00:41 (permalink)
I voted you up with a 5. I hope others do, too.
bladetragic
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 503
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2016/10/17 02:36:44 (permalink)
telecharge

Thanks!

I'm surprised this has been overlooked for so long.  I know there's been some attempts to go in this direction (BeatScape, DropZone) but they all seem to get thrown by the wayside or discarded for some reason.
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2016/10/17 08:37:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2016/10/17 15:47:44
+2 (2)
bladetragic
telecharge

Thanks!

I'm surprised this has been overlooked for so long.  I know there's been some attempts to go in this direction (BeatScape, DropZone) but they all seem to get thrown by the wayside or discarded for some reason.

Probably because they aren't nearly as good as the big daddies, namely Kontakt and, to a lesser extent, Falcon and Battery. Any of these three required a lot of resources to make and deliver, and therefore aren't freely given away with any DAW. While it would be nice if Cakewalk could build one that competes, I wouldn't want them to do so at the expense of core DAW development.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1