Requested Feature: Ability to Assign Your Own Default Instrument in "Add Track"

Author
TigerTheFrog
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2016/10/16 13:20:45 (permalink)
5 (2)

Requested Feature: Ability to Assign Your Own Default Instrument in "Add Track"

I never use TTS-1.   90% of the time I load Native Instruments' Komplete Kontrol, from which I can load my favorite presets from my plugins. 

So I would find it very useful if I could assign the Komplete Kontrol as my default instrument.  I bet most people have a plugin instrument that they use more than others, and I doubt the majority would select TTS-1.  

Even more useful would be a right click dropdown to "load default instrument"  

I recognize that there are many ways around this, using templates, etc., and I use them, but I still think this would be a useful feature.  

7 Replies Related Threads

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Requested Feature: Ability to Assign Your Own Default Instrument in "Add Track" 2016/10/17 12:51:48 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    I have created a handful of Track Templates, for precisely what you are posting about.

So, rather than trying to do something when inserting tracks - try creating a Track Template for one of these synths - with just a couple of mouse clicks, I can insert Battery 3, a BUNCH of buses, load a particular custom drum kit, AND have it automatically set relative volumes to each kit piece, AND have Sonar add a separate audio track for each kit piece, already configured

Track Templates really are that powerful and a breeze to create and use, and I think those would address your issues...

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    TigerTheFrog
    Re: Requested Feature: Ability to Assign Your Own Default Instrument in "Add Track" 2016/10/17 15:50:43 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bob.  I will learn more about Track Templates.  
    ricoskyl
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 327
    Re: Requested Feature: Ability to Assign Your Own Default Instrument in "Add Track" 2016/10/26 22:32:34 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    The "Add Track" utility should also have a tab for Track Template (in addition to MIDI and Audio).

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
    Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
    ----------------------
    Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
    arlen2133
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    Re: Requested Feature: Ability to Assign Your Own Default Instrument in "Add Track" 2016/10/27 13:53:21 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Now there's a thought!  i like Rockskyl's idea. 
    thumbs up for that one!

Arlen
    aka
    Mr Grant
    my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Requested Feature: Ability to Assign Your Own Default Instrument in "Add Track" 2016/10/28 08:53:09 (permalink)
    I agree with the OP.  If there is going to be a default, I should be able to set what that default will be.

And yes, I agree that template should be accessible in this dialog too.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

TigerTheFrog
    Re: Requested Feature: Ability to Assign Your Own Default Instrument in "Add Track" 2016/10/28 13:23:23 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I'm glad I posted this, because I am now using Track Templates constantly and they have really improved my workflow enormously.  I'm really impressed.  The Templates remember not only the patch I had loaded, but also the set of windows configurations I create for a synth like Iris 2.   So thank you, Bob Bone!  

I also want to add my support to Ricoskyl's idea.  
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Requested Feature: Ability to Assign Your Own Default Instrument in "Add Track" 2016/10/29 19:58:03 (permalink)
    TigerTheFrog
    I'm glad I posted this, because I am now using Track Templates constantly and they have really improved my workflow enormously.  I'm really impressed.  The Templates remember not only the patch I had loaded, but also the set of windows configurations I create for a synth like Iris 2.   So thank you, Bob Bone!  

I also want to add my support to Ricoskyl's idea.  

Where I find the MOST help from using Track Templates is with drum kits.  By default, all my drum kits for all my drum synths output to the first two outputs.

So anytime I either use a given kit for the first time, whether a stock kit or one I build by picking and choosing individual kit pieces, I ALWAYS customize the kit so that each kit piece gets assigned to its own audio outputs from the drum synth.  I then will insert audio tracks into a track folder called Drums, and have an audio track assigned to each of the kit pieces.  I will then add multiple drum buses, so that I end up with a Drums Master, Toms Bus, Cymbals Bus, Snare Bus, Kick Bus, Parallel Compression Bus - whatever is needed - and then I group the kit piece outputs to go to the appropriate bus.  Those all end up feeding the Drums Master, which itself routes to Master.  I set all outputs to an initial starting point of around -18 dB, toss in 2 midi tracks (1 for dummy click/drone, the other for actual midi to be used for song's drum data), and then save it all off as a Track Template for that particular kit.

Over time, I have amassed quite a few of these ready to go drum templates, so that I only have to do all of that work one time per kit, and then I can reuse them forever in different projects afterwards.

I also want to mention that I save some time doing the above by loading one of the existing kits into a project, and that gives me all of the audio tracks, midi tracks, the track folder, the buses, and the bus routing assignments, all right off the bat, which saves me HUGE amounts of time.  Then I just replace the kit in the drum synth, get each kit piece routed to separate audio outputs, and then set the audio track inputs accordingly, get levels set, and I'm pretty much ready to go.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1