Why do the Jacobites have all the best tunes?

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2016/10/17 12:01:24 (permalink)

Why do the Jacobites have all the best tunes?

(Hi)

I recently dug out an old book by Robin Williamson (of Incredible String Band fame) “English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish Fiddle Tunes.”

So much great music surrounded the Jacobite rebellion. The songs were of course propaganda so they had to be rousing. They lend them self to modern, electric treatment quite well. Five Hand Reel’s version of Sherrifmuir was up there with the greatest electric versions of a traditional song ever recorded.

I have just been playing around with a couple of tunes that slot together, “Cam Ye Ower Frae France” and “Bobbin John” using mostly Orange Tree Samples Evolution Series guitar sample libraries. “France” lends its self to heavy palm mutes from Dracus (the metal orientated 8 string) and “Bobin John” distorted, almost bagpipe like sound from Strawberry. It’s sounding very heavy.

If I can work out a drum part I will put it up on the song forum. I am looking to Platinum Samples “Military Cadence” MIDI pattern library for inspiration as it has the right type of marching patterns The tunes are in 3/2 so it will need a bit of work.

As an aside Bobbin John, victor at the battle of Sheriffmuir also turns in on Genesis’s Wind and Wuthering in the song “11th Earl of Mar.”

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

8 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Why do the Jacobites have all the best tunes? 2016/10/17 12:07:18 (permalink)
    Look forward to hearing that Glyn. Long ago I did a version of 'Haughs O Cromdale' which Five Hand Reel did so well on 'For A' That'. Might revisit that one day

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Why do the Jacobites have all the best tunes? 2016/10/17 12:18:00 (permalink)
    Of course 'Haughs O Cromdale', that was one of their very best. The interplay between Eagalsham and Gaughan's voices was fantastic!

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Why do the Jacobites have all the best tunes? 2016/10/17 15:36:41 (permalink)
    Indeed, its been a while since I played 5 hand Reel, and to my shame I had confused 'Haughs O Cromdale' and Sheriffmuir.  Both excelent versions but "Cromdale" is the master work. I did a bit of digging and the Battle of Cromdale was in 1690 and can thus be considered Jacobite. (the first Jacobite rising 1689-92)

"The Great Montrose" celebrated in the song died 40 years previously, showing the propoganda aspect and accurate reporting that the Daily Mail would have been proud of.

Glyn Barnes
    Re: Why do the Jacobites have all the best tunes? 2016/11/14 15:47:29 (permalink)
    My arrangement of “Cam Ye Ower Frae France” and “Bobbin John” is now on the songs forum http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3513084

craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Why do the Jacobites have all the best tunes? 2016/11/15 00:50:51 (permalink)

Looks like I'll definitely have to wait for the (American) English translation... 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Why do the Jacobites have all the best tunes? 2016/11/15 12:38:30 (permalink)
    I don't think it's so much that the Jacobites had the best tunes, but that they get the same kind of romanticised image remake that the English Civil War Royalists and the Confederacy sometimes get.

As in they were noble, romantic, inspiring but quite wrong, as contrasted to their opponents who were dull, boring, serious and generally speaking right. Which completely ignores the issues involved and history of course.

Back in the 1960s the BBC broadcast an annual series of radio programmes aimed at junior schools called 'Singing Together'. It not only got kids singing but also presented (often bowdlerised or re-worked by 'real' arrangers) versions of a lot of folk songs from all over the world. I remember my entire class belting out 'Bonnie Dundee' without the slightest clue who this 'Dundee' person was or what he did.

Obviously, going from the lyrics, he was some kind of military hero and equally obviously Scots.

It was years later I discovered the lyrics were written by Sir Walter Scott (the same Scott who pretty much created the idea of clan tartans and highland dress) nearly 150 years after the event. Which was the 1689 Jacobite rising in which the Laird of Claverhouse, known as 'Bonnie Dundee' played a leading role and died during the Jacobite victory of Killiecrankie. Far from being a nice romantic hero, before the uprising Dundee had been in the lead of persecuting Scots Covenantors who amongst other things opposed the revived Stuart monarchy and wished to retain parliamentary government rather than have a king ruling by absolute 'divine right'.

Still, the song has a great tune, which like many used for Jacobite songs was around a long time before there were Jacobites.

The anti-Jacobites did have songs and tunes, but being the government side tended to have them written or at least poshed up by composers and arranged for 'proper' bands to play. So they're mostly very 'standard issue 18th century military music', the most famous being the British national anthem though these days we generally miss out the verse about sending an army to crush the rebellious Scots.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Why do the Jacobites have all the best tunes? 2016/11/15 15:52:13 (permalink)
    craigb

Looks like I'll definitely have to wait for the (American) English translation... 

Here's the lyric

Cam ye o'er frae France?
    Cam ye doon by Lunnon?
    Saw ye Geordie Whelps
    And his bonnie woman?

Oh, weren't ye at the place
    Called the Kittle Housie?
    Saw ye Geordie's grace
    A-ridin' on a goosie?

Geordie, he's a man,
    There is little doot o't,
    And he's done a' he can,
    All can dae wi'oot it,

Doon there cam' a blade,
    Linkin' like ma lordie,
    He wad drive a trade
    At the loom o' Geordie.

Though the claith were bad,
    Blythly may we niffer
    Gin we git oor wab,
    It makes little differ,

We hae tint oor plaid,
    Bonnet, belt and swordie
    Ha's and mailin's braid,
    But we hae oor Geordie.

Jocky's gone to France,
    And Montgomery's lady
    There will learn to dance;
    Madam, are ye ready?

They'll be back belyve,
    Belted brisk and lordly,
    Brawly, may they thrive
    To dance a jig wi' Geordie!

Hey for Sandy Don,
    Hey for Cockalorum,
    Hey for Bobbin' John,
    And his Hielan' quorum!

Mony a sword and lance
    Swings at Hielan hurdie;
    How they'll skip and dance
    O'er the bum o' Geordie!
    For a translation (explaination) see here

Steeleye Span did a pretty good version of the song.

Glyn Barnes
    Re: Why do the Jacobites have all the best tunes? 2016/11/15 16:02:33 (permalink)
    tlw
    The anti-Jacobites did have songs and tunes, but being the government side tended to have them written or at least poshed up by composers and arranged for 'proper' bands to play. So they're mostly very 'standard issue 18th century military music', the most famous being the British national anthem though these days we generally miss out the verse about sending an army to crush the rebellious Scots.
    A good point!
    Yes the failed rebellion was perfect fodder for romanticism and most of the pro Jacobite propaganda songs were certainly more rousing than.

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the King.

I remember the Billy Connely sketch about that verse quite well

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1