Web server providing simple transport controls.

Author
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
2016/10/21 15:31:08 (permalink)
5 (1)

Web server providing simple transport controls.

Run simple web server on windows with midi connect to sonar.  I hope the windows 10 midi interface makes this easier???

Use case, smart phone web browser connects over home network, hit record from behind the drum kit.  Priceless!

I did this for XP with Ruby, LoopBe1, and windows midi interface.  It worked for win 8.1.  Haven't tried win 10.  If you want source code let me know.
https://groups.yahoo.com/...s/Software/iDawCtl.zip

Demo (skip to near end of home studio tour): https://youtu.be/vU4A-_xc2kA

README:
iDawCtl - Midi Transport Control
Version 1.2
Provides Web based midi transport controls. Very simple to use. Command
line startup and configuration. Targeted for mobile devices. No client
applications aside from client web browser not included.
The exe iDawCtl is a web server which sends midi messages to midi ports
based on user configuration and commands. It currently supports the
following commands play, stop, record, rewind, undo. It is run on a
Microsoft windows platform. It listens on tcp port 7555. Set client
web browser to "ip_address:7555". When started windows may ask to unblock
port, allow if you want to use this app.
iDawCtl command line options. No Argument lists midi output ports.
To start running you must supply the following arguments:
Argument 1 is IP Address to listen on(see XP command ipconfig).
Argument 2 is midi output port to send control on.

Tested with client Ipod Touch running Safari controlling Windows XP running
Sonar 7 PE. I used LoopBe1 as the midi loopback device.
Quick Start:
Install LoopBe1(also free) configure Sonar to use LoopBe1 input port.
Make sure you do not use the LoopBe1 output port in another app or
iDawCtl will not be able to open said device.
Run iDawCtl.exe with no arguments and output port selection is given.
Note LoopBe1 port number. Use ipconfig to get your ip address. Start
iDawWeb server with these arguments, eg "iDawCtl 192.168.1.2 5". This
Starts the server listening on IP 192.168.1.2 and sends midi messages to
output port 5.
post edited by kzmaier - 2016/10/21 16:19:14

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

5 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Web server providing simple transport controls. 2016/10/22 17:55:08 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    External "web server", MIDI loop device, Sonar MIDI, Sonar control surfaces. That is quite long route.
    Why not a web server inside Sonar control surface? http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,288.0.html

But in practice, there are several sophisticated specialized Control Surface apps for phones/tablets, with MIDI and/or OSC support. Most critical difference: reaction on interaction is faster then with browsers.

About the first link: there is zero interest since I have published it

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Web server providing simple transport controls. 2016/10/23 04:02:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, but I got what I need ;-) These days everything needs to be networked gadgets und control over the entire universe from cell phone, but a simple MIDI controller footswitch plus Sonar key bindings work flawless for that purpose (even with extra functionality like undo, jump between markers, you name it) ... and it does not produce unexpected noise during recording sessions ... and try to hack the MIDI !?!

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Web server providing simple transport controls. 2016/10/23 04:44:36 (permalink)
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]
    Thanks, but I got what I need ;-) These days everything needs to be networked gadgets und control over the entire universe from cell phone, but a simple MIDI controller footswitch plus Sonar key bindings work flawless for that purpose (even with extra functionality like undo, jump between markers, you name it) ... and it does not produce unexpected noise during recording sessions ... and try to hack the MIDI !?!

I also prefer pedals on my DP for the task (investigating the market for "simple footswitches" I was surprised that the price of footswitch without guitar processor is almost the same as with it...)

But since you mention "jump between markers", you probably can understand that my primary intention was showing the information on the cell phone/tablet to avoid wiring extra monitor. OP project probably does not work this way, my "web server" is showing Sonar transport status (in real time, I mean without pressing "reload the page"...). But I have found the same functionality is simpler to achieve with OSC (see my 'OSC Phone' preset).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    SergeQ
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re: Web server providing simple transport controls. 2016/10/23 12:45:18 (permalink)
    azslow3
    External "web server", MIDI loop device, Sonar MIDI, Sonar control surfaces. That is quite long route.
    Why not a web server inside Sonar control surface? http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,288.0.html

there is zero interest since I have published it

wow =)
    nice little controller
    keep it up
    kzmaier
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    Re: Web server providing simple transport controls. 2016/10/24 08:20:57 (permalink)
    I was just recommending Sonar provide a web server built into sonar with simple transport controls.  I provided my implementation as a working example.  The web server was very simple.  Tying into the midi/transport would be easier inside of sonar.

Best Regards,
    Ken
    Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1