Helpful ReplyWho likes Rapture Session?

Author
Craigster91
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2015/12/07 17:44:29 (permalink)

Who likes Rapture Session?

Wondering:
- If you have the original Rapture & DimPro, what does Rapture Session bring to the table that is a benefit? 
- Does Session represent the best sounds of the full "Rapture Pro"? Or are the best sounds left out?
- Is there any reason to get both Rapture Pro AND Rapture Session?

Who likes it and why?

Thanks, Craig
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/07 18:22:18 (permalink)
Craigster91
- If you have the original Rapture & DimPro, what does Rapture Session bring to the table that is a benefit?

These are all excellent and relevant questions. I have to admit I did not like Rapture Pro at all upon its introduction. However, now that the code has been cleaned up, I gave it a second chance and in the process, discovered the Instrument page. Although its stated purpose is live performance, and I get that, it's also a GREAT way to build presets that are highly customizable, either in real time or as "set and forget" changes. It's kind of like an FX Chain in that you can bring out the strategic parameters and have a "front panel" again. Even if you don't use a controller, being able to tweak these can make a sound much more suitable for a particular application.

- Does Session represent the best sounds of the full "Rapture Pro"? Or are the best sounds left out?

I think that depends on your viewpoint. If by "best" you mean the sounds that will probably find the most favor with the most people, then the answer is probably yes. But if you favor a particular kind of music that involves more specialized patches, your answer might well be no.

- Is there any reason to get both Rapture Pro AND Rapture Session?

I'm quite sure the Rapture Session sounds are a subset of Rapture Pro's sounds.

Who likes it and why?

What I like most about Rapture, and now Rapture Pro, are the extensive tempo-synched modulation capabilities, including step sequencers. Rapture Pro has basically all the building blocks used in contemporary synthesis, and as a side note, it's one of the absolute best synths for MIDI guitar because you can assign each string to its own element, and restrict the element to playing one note at a time (like a real string). This reduces glitching dramatically.

Of course there are some improvements I'd like to see (e.g., being able to enable/disable elements easily from any element's page and a tear-away modulation matrix like the old Rapture) but Rapture was an essential part of "my sound." It took until now for me to be convinced that on balance, Rapture Pro was a better replacement.

If nothing else, it's definitely a great synth for hardcore synth programmers who want to get original sounds. I assume part of Cakewalk doing Rapture Session is for those who just want a simple experience with lots of sounds "out of the box."

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/07 18:26:40 (permalink)
Rapture Session can work as a 64bit replacement for Cakewalk Sound Center. Now, the CSC will likely be retired instead of receiving a 64bit port.
Craigster91
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/08 01:38:03 (permalink)
Thanks Craig.

I just bought Rapture Pro.
Skipping Session.

(another) Craig
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/08 13:31:57 (permalink)

It would be nice if :

1. Session would go into my vstplugins folder just like Rapture, DimPro, Sound Center and everything else except SI.

2. The installer didn't copy my ten thousand Rap and DimPro programs into the Cakewalk content folder (100mb)
  (why not just read them ?)

What happens if I make changes to my original programs ?

3. The program folders in Session's UI were collapsed and collapsable.

4. The installer didn't give me an "Out of resources" error message when confirming the Welcome screen, then go ahead and install things anyway.

EDIT :  I just uninstalled it.  I thought it might be a nice sample browser, but it needs some improvements.

post edited by Paul P - 2015/12/08 13:55:29

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/08 16:21:17 (permalink)
It will have some use for me. I have the two synths it was made from so I didn't bother with Rap Pro. Session scanned all my Rapture and Dim Pro sounds so I can access them quickly through the session interface. It's a modern replacement for TTS 1 and Sound center. Nice freebie.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/08 23:30:13 (permalink)
ampfixer
Session scanned all my Rapture and Dim Pro sounds so I can access them quickly through the session interface.

It didn't just scan them, it copied them.  I can only presume that if you add or delete sounds in the future, the changes won't show in Session.  Then what do you do ?  Uninstall and reinstall it ?

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/09 07:17:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wetdentist 2015/12/09 07:34:13
I happen to like the full features of Dimension Pro and Rapture even thought I can admit some elements of programing Rapture are over my head …what do you expect from a guitar player 

Regarding Rapture Session , I'm gonna go with the who likes it angle . 

At first I didn't know what to expect from Rapture Session since I didn't really care for the sound center thing all that much.

I was very happy when The Rapture Session took all my 3rd party expansion packs for Rapture , Dimension  Pro and  installed them /organized them into a nice tidy easy way to access them through the simple interface into 3 categories . 

I have been using Rapture Session wrapped inside Midi Guitar 64 by Jam Origin in both Windows 10 and Windows 8 
(Thank you Ole for making that possible for me .) 

I am getting excellent results with both Midi Guitar 64 and Rapture Session combined at a safe buffer rate setting of 128 .
I happen to think it is a blast to be able to play my Gibson Les Paul or any guitar I happen to feel like playing and have it trigger Rapture Session combined with any number of VST amp sims or effects I may chosen to have  wraped in Midi Guitar 64 as my signal chain .
I think that Rapture Session is on it's way to becoming this Midi Guitarist's very good friend  

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/12/09 07:35:14

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/09 11:04:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2015/12/09 18:18:19
I like it too Kenny. I got six strings to keep in tune. Simple works for me. It sure sounds good too. I use a Fishman TriplePlay, by the way.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/09 11:49:46 (permalink)
I already had DPro & Rapture and bought Rapture Pro when it was introduced.  I noticed a better than trivial performance improvement using multiple Rap Pro instances compared to using DPro and Rapture.  I like Rap Pro even more with the latest improvements; favorites being my favorite

The question I have yet to answer for myself is whether or not multiple instances of Session will be lighter than multiple instances of Pro with identical programs loaded.  It's on my list to try this.  If Session is lighter, it makes sense to me to do the creative stuff with Pro, switching to Session for use.  If they turn out to be equal weight, then I guess Session will have saved a buncha disk sectors from having a useless existence.

Has anybody already compared Rap Pro vs Session for playback resource loading?

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

mgustavo
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/10 16:46:42 (permalink)
Hi

I’d like to say that I also like Rapture Session and I thank Cakewalk for this free synth.
As I don't have Dimension neither Rapture, I think Rapture Session has a lot of cool sounds.

Another thing I like is the Instrument controllers and the Vector Mixer, where I can mix the output of the preset Elements, which is very cool (actually I was watching some Rapture Pro videos on Cakewalk's YouTube channel and saw how it works).

The only problem is that free Cakewalk Sound Center presets from Digital Sound Factory don't play on Rapture Session. I can see the presets but when I load them they are muted, there's no sound (however I can still play them on Cakewalk Sound Center, where they work fine). 

Best regards
post edited by mgustavo - 2015/12/11 05:11:42

Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Professional, Sonar Artist, Sonar X3e, Music Creator 6, Kontakt 5 player
Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11, DVD Architect Studio 5
Windows 10 64 bits, Intel i5 2,3 GHz Lenovo notebook, 4 GB DDR3
Behringer UCA 202, M-Audio Key Rig 49, Edifier R1900TIII speaker, EasyCap USB Video Capture
Phonic AM 105FX mixer, Samson Q7 mic, Yamaha C40 acoustic guitar, Condor RX-20S guitar

BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/10 20:21:48 (permalink)
Being a kind of a 64 bit replacement for the 32 bit only Cakewalk Sound Center is a very good thing for me. I had a inflexible rule against anything 32 bit. That meant there was a 0% chance of buying any of the expansion packs.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2015/12/12 01:01:32 (permalink)
BassDaddy
I like it too Kenny. I got six strings to keep in tune. Simple works for me. It sure sounds good too. I use a Fishman TriplePlay, by the way.

BassDaddy,

I've always heard that The Fishman TriplePlay was the cream of the crop for the midi guitarist that favors hardware
One of these days I hope to demo the interface to get a feel .
I love my Ibanez Midi guitar . As time marched on, for Midi it is a little long in the tooth . Yet , I have done OK with it when it was all I had .
As a Guitar it is still one of my Faves . We have been together almost 30 years .

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

northlake63
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2016/01/24 22:30:31 (permalink)
How does one go about inserting rapture session into a project ?
northlake63
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2016/01/25 08:14:29 (permalink)
Okay I figured it out myself. It's in the vst3 folder.

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2016/10/21 07:37:09 (permalink)
1st impression is Not Me! But I may change that after I've used it a bit.

I like the browser interface - a definite improvement over the old flyout list. But I see inserting and opening it "bumps" any DimLE/PRO instruments that are also open. This I do not like when you can have as many instances of DimLE/PRO open at the same time as you want.

Also, I tried to use the "Replace synth" to switch an instance of DimLE with Rapture Session only to have it CRASH my computer.

EDIT: Not sure why that happened but I uninstalled and reinstalled Session and tried the Replace synth again and it worked.
post edited by soens - 2016/10/21 08:38:03
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2016/10/21 17:00:32 (permalink)
I really like Rapture Session. Being able to bring my D-Pro, Rapture, and Sound Center instruments together under one roof is a win for me.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2016/10/22 07:31:06 (permalink)
Here's the biggy for me: Since it lacks Elements there is no way to load your own samples or .sfz files rendering it almost useless for my needs except when I need stock samples.

R/E is like a limited DEMO or LITE version of the new R/PRO which looks nice but costs $149/$79upg. $79 isn't a bad price but I already have Dim LE*, Dim PRO, Rapture 1.22 & DropZone. However, since it's the latest offering and bound to be here awhile I might take the leap. There's also a free trial for PRO here.

*Has apparent time disabling feature rendering it eventually dead.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2016/10/22 09:58:38 (permalink)
soens
Here's the biggy for me: Since it lacks Elements there is no way to load your own samples or .sfz files rendering it almost useless for my needs except when I need stock samples.

Rapture Session is a playback engine only, it's definitely not for programmers. The advantage is that if people want to use the stellar Gibson Bass Expansion pack  (or my upcoming Syntronic pack), they won't need to buy the full version of Rapture Pro.

I've had an interesting relationship with Rapture Pro. I absolutely loved Rapture; while everyone else was going Z3TA+, I was enraptured by Rapture. I was totally excited when Rapture Pro came out, but totally disappointed when I started using it - it had so many bugs and loose ends I found it unusable (as did most people, I wasn't alone).

Eventually CW started fixing it, and I realized the incredible power in the Instruments page and the Vector Mixer was something i wouldn't get out of Rapture. So now I use Rapture Pro.

It's still a pig to program. This doesn't affect people who just want to play back sounds and do tweaks, but when you're creating an expansion pack with 100+ presets from the ground up, there are a lot of ways the process could be streamlined - for example, being able to copy and paste the mod matrix settings, or at least tear it off like you could in Rapture.

But overall, while it remains quirky in some ways (thankfully, not in terms of stability - it's been stable now for quite some time), Rapture Pro is unique and can make sounds no other soft synth can. The transposition engine is also exceptional, and there are some more fixes coming up this month that improve it just that much more. Some people think Rapture Pro was a mistake and Cakewalk should just can it, but I disagree 1000%. I would have agreed with that sentiment early on, but with the slowly-but-surely improvements, these days it's an essential part of all the music that I make. I can't think of anything I've done in the past year that hasn't had at least a couple instances.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Who likes Rapture Session? 2016/10/22 12:23:52 (permalink)
I like session, but don't need it as I have Pro.  I did the a quick test I mentioned above.  My conclusion is that session isn't enough lighter weight to bother with it.

I ran Pro standalone and loaded a piano.  It used between 3.5 & 4% CPU and 647M of memory.  I then ran Session standalone with the same instrument loaded.  Same CPU and 10M less memory.  Meh.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1