Helpful ReplyFocusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions

Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2016/10/14 15:12:08 (permalink)

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions

I recently got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 gen2 (USB audio interface).  I haven't used it much with Sonar yet, but have been listening to music on it as a test.

I am currently having dropouts while listening to music.  Every few minutes, the sound will cut out for a fraction of a second and then resume.  It's distracting and annoying, and makes me question whether the Scarlett can handle what I'd like it to do with Sonar, which is: multi-track audio recording, playback, and MIDI at the same time.

Playback dropouts like this never happen with my PCI sound cards, so I suspect it might be a USB (or Scarlett) issue.  DPC latency is fine (I just checked).

I have disabled USB power saving (in both the device manager and power management) as suggested in another thread.  That may have helped, as the interruptions as less frequent, but they still happen. I have also confirmed that the USB port is indeed 2.0 (by using a USB port viewing tool).

What else can I try as far as finding and eliminating the cause of the dropouts (USB interruptions)?

The Scarlett's current ASIO settings are:  44.1 hHz sample rate with 128 buffer size.

It appears that the 2nd gen Scarlett 2i4 only has one driver, and that's the ASIO driver I'm using:
https://global.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i4

Normally I use WDM with my Delta 44 PCI card.  It's not a big deal to switch over to ASIO, but I'm wondering if there are ASIO-specific troubleshooting steps I should be taking (to deal with the dropouts).

And finally, are there ways of improving the performance and stability of the Scarlett (or any USB audio interface) by somehow increasing the power to it?  For example, should I connect it to a powered USB hub, which is then connected to the PC's USB2 port?

Thanks a bunch!

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/14 19:15:52 (permalink)
You system looks like it should handle lower buffer settings, Mine will produce drop outs if I lower my buffers  too far. I work with them in the middle @ 256. You could try a higher setting but this should not have any effect on playing music outside Sonar.
Those settings don't effect playback from Media player or movies, The drivers will automatically switch to what ever the file playing was set for. This sometimes caused issues if you have Sonar open and tried to play in other software.
I've never had this problem with my Scarlett. I use it for everything and I often have multiple programs open.

Try disconnecting from the internet if you haven't already done so.
Windows can be updating and all sorts of stuff.

Open the task manager and keep it open while you listen to playback.
See if anything is hogging CPU etc.

Video card audio drivers are known to cause problems. Disable them in Device manager.

Dropouts are almost always caused by your computer multi tasking.

Question, did you remove the Delta from your MOBO?
I found you can't have a PCI card installed and use a USB audio interface together. The PCI card with conflict.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Tripecac
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/14 22:13:22 (permalink)
Thanks for the response!

I actually have 3 audio cards connected to the PC at the moment:

1) ASUS Xonar DX (PCI card)
2) M-Audio Delta-44 (PCI card)
3) Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB)

I haven't removed the PCI cards yet because I don't trust the Scarlett to handle all my audio needs.  And since I listen to music all day, it would be a pain to yank the PCI cards out, listen to the Scarlett until I hear drop-outs, and then put the PCI card(s) back in.  Would disabling a PCI card or two via Device Manager be worth testing, or is it not as effective as physically removing the PCI cards?

I don't see any video card audio drivers enabled in the Device Manager.

I can't disconnect from the Internet because I work from home, and am always online.

I didn't notice anything hogging the CPU, besides the normal games, programming apps, etc.  Note that I am not trying to use Sonar; I'm simply trying to play music in the background (using foobar2000) like I've done for years with PCI cards.  It's very common for me to be playing a demanding game, ripping a CD, and listening to music all at the same time, with no problems.  I've never had dropouts listening to music until today, with the Scarlett.

Are USB audio interfaces more easily interrupted than PCI cards?  Are they not as capable of handling multitasking?

tripecac.com
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/15 04:21:26 (permalink)
I've had a Scarlett 2i4 for about a year now, and apart from it occasionally getting 'missed' by the PC's fast start-up (unplug and replug sorts that), it's been rock solid with W10. Really like the unit.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Cactus Music
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/15 12:19:41 (permalink)
Well you are doing lots of stuff I avoid with my DAW. I think that the Scarlett is a device made for working with Audio inside professional software and was never intended to be used for PC chores. 
I don't have any issues with my set up but as I said, I have no other audio device available so Windows seems happy to use my Scarlett. 
The audio buffer setting are the key here and those in my case are set in Mix Control. 
Most people in your situation, only one computer, will use their PC audio via the on board sound card and run just their DAW through the audio interface and monitors. Of course this requires a second set of speakers for the on board audio. You could share speakers via a small mixer or dedicated device. 

Disabling the PCI cards in device manager may work fine for testing what's up. 
In my case it was a Sound Blaster which required total removal. 
I have an old PCI card made by Card Deluxe which co-existed with my USB interfaces just fine. It still working happily away in my old backup DAW. To bad PCI has become obsolete. Seems those interfaces were all rock solid ( other than Creative)  

Another issue found with the 2i4 is it runs on USB power. I have read lots of posts where this was the issue. So make sure to try your best USB ports. Not much juice from USB , in my opinion it's a very bad design. The should have allowed for the option of wall power like the Tascam us2x2, same price point. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/15 13:06:53 (permalink)
Tripecac
Normally I use WDM with my Delta 44 PCI card.  It's not a big deal to switch over to ASIO, but I'm wondering if there are ASIO-specific troubleshooting steps I should be taking (to deal with the dropouts).

And finally, are there ways of improving the performance and stability of the Scarlett (or any USB audio interface) by somehow increasing the power to it? 

You definitely want ASIO.  It's rare that a modern card works better under WDM  (Not surprised the Delta card does, but that's ancient).

Make sure the interface is plugged into a USB2 port (not USB3).  Also, USB ports can share resources with other devices, meaning you can have different bandwidth amounts available on each USB port -- in short, they're not created equal, so try different ports.  (This also addresses the USB2 power issue mentioned by Cactus above).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Tripecac
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/15 13:43:56 (permalink)
I have found that if I am just listening to music and playing games, the drop-outs are about once every 20 minutes.

When I am uploading files to my web site, however, I get drop-outs every minute or so.

Does this help isolate the possible cause of the drop-outs?

tripecac.com

Tripecac
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/15 15:59:51 (permalink)
Research seems to indicate that connecting the Scarlett to a dedicated USB PCI card might help stabilize it.  If I buy a USB PCI card (or find one in my closet), then do any of the following choices matter in terms of the minimizing the likelihood of dropouts when using the Scarlett with Sonar?

a) PCI vs PCI-E
b) USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0
c) Price - I see some of them on eBay for less than $10

Also, I noticed that my Device Manager already shows 19 items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

- 8 are "USB Root Hub"
- 6 are "Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controler - [hexidecimal]"
- 2 are "Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB EnhancedHost Controler - [hexidecimal]"
- 1 is "Generic USB Hub"
- 1 is "NEC Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller"
- 1 is "NEC Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub"

If I add yet another USB controller/hub (in the form of a USB PCI card), should I disable some of the other USB hubs and controllers?  Or will there presence have no influence on the performance of a device attached to a USB PCI card?

tripecac.com

RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/15 18:20:37 (permalink)
Just to chime in.. I use my Scarlett for both DAW use and windows general use. I'm under the impression that ASIO is used only within the DAW and other drivers are used for regular windows sounds
JonD
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/15 18:39:34 (permalink)
FWIW, I've always used a PCI/PCIe add-on card (Firewire and USB 2) for my audio interfaces, and I believe it's the reason I've never had any of the problems others complain about.

So do I think it's a good idea?  Yes... but only if you've tried all of the other USB2 ports and gotten the same results.

The intermittent dropout timing does suggest some task polling in the background... But didn't you say you ran Latency Monitor and found nothing?

You should also check if you have any unnecessary utilities in Startup (Task Manager-Startup tab).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Tripecac
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/16 00:42:25 (permalink)
I tried yet another USB port (which is not one of the blue ones) and was able to go more than 27 minutes without a dropout, before I had to go.  Later, I tested for about an hour in Sonar, and didn't have any dropouts, just the normal crackles whenever I try to move clips around in real time (which is what I've always gotten with Platinum regardless of sound card).

So it could be that I've picked a "lucky" USB port.  I will test more tomorrow to see if I get any dropouts.

If I do, then I will try to dig up a USB PCI card from one of the boxes of old hardware in my closet.  I'm pretty sure I have one laying around.  I never gave those things much consideration until now!

I ran a couple of latency monitors a few times and didn't see anything alarming.  That's not surprising, since I wasn't having dropouts with my other sound cards, and the latency monitors don't seem to be checking specific audio devices.

As for startup items, I'm pretty good at periodically going through msconfig and services.msc and pruning out the optional stuff.  And I avoid installing a lot of apps.  Mostly just stuff for work, games, and multimedia.  My antivirus is AVG Free and it hasn't given my audio-related problems in the past, so I don't suspect it of causing problems now.

But I am really unfamiliar with USB sound cards, so can't really trust my instincts too much!

Anyway I'll see how things go tomorrow on the potentially "lucky" USB port.  Fingers crossed (for the Nth time this week...)!

tripecac.com

Cactus Music
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/16 12:25:40 (permalink)
My antivirus is AVG Free and it hasn't given my audio-related problems in the past, so I don't suspect it of causing problems now.

BINGO! 
Even though you don't think it's causing issues this is a highly suspect culprit. Most report that only Windows defender seems unobtrusive but most Anti Viruses do interfere.

You should try disabling all known sources of trouble and slowly turn them on.   
I don't think a PCI USB port is your solution. 
Unless you have a zillion things hooked up to all your ports that are sucking power from the Scarlett. I think it's a matter of choosing a port that is free and clear of other activity. My interface is sharing the back ports with my Stienberg dongle, and  extension cables used for external drives. 
The other hub has my Roland controller, which runs on USB power, my digital drums and my mouse/keyboard. 
My interface uses wall power, in your case if you have 2 devices that both need USB power on the same hub your going to have a problem. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

jamesg1213
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/16 12:29:17 (permalink)
Cactus Music
My antivirus is AVG Free and it hasn't given my audio-related problems in the past, so I don't suspect it of causing problems now.

BINGO! 

I thought the same...I used AVG Free for years on XP but it caused problems with W10, had to uninstall it.

Jyemz

Tripecac
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/16 13:39:53 (permalink)
What do you use for AntiVirus instead?

tripecac.com

Tripecac
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/16 13:59:26 (permalink)
I've been listening to the Scarlett for 3 hours straight this morning, and haven't had any dropouts. So, maybe the last USB port I picked to try is indeed "lucky".  I have no idea why, though.  Hmm...

Anyway, I'll keep using the Scarlett today and see if it gives me any dropouts.

Does the fact that one USB port seems to behave better than others suggest that the problem is not AVG related?

tripecac.com

JonD
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/16 14:03:36 (permalink)
Cactus Music
I don't think a PCI USB port is your solution. 
Unless you have a zillion things hooked up to all your ports that are sucking power from the Scarlett. I think it's a matter of choosing a port that is free and clear of other activity. My interface is sharing the back ports with my Stienberg dongle, and  extension cables used for external drives. 

+1

I'm the one who suggested the PCI card -- with the condition that he try all of the other ports first. IOW, make it a last resort!  Because, in fairness, the PCI card would solve the problem, it's just that he probably doesn't need it since one of the other USB2 ports would likely work fine.

Edit:  OP's last response confirmed it -- He was using a USB3 port!  Moved to a USB2 port and it seems to be okay.

JonD
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/16 14:08:13 (permalink)
Tripecac

Does the fact that one USB port seems to behave better than others suggest that the problem is not AVG related?

Yes, if you're no longer detecting any other interruptions, the problems were likely due to the USB3 port.

jamesg1213
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/16 14:27:20 (permalink)
Tripecac
What do you use for AntiVirus instead?

Windows Defender

Jyemz

dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/17 09:57:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2016/10/17 14:10:29
I don't think the port you picked is "lucky."  I think its actually a USB2 port.  If the original port was "blue" it is a USB3 port and some USB2 interfaces don't like certain (any?) USB3 ports with Win7.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Cactus Music
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/17 10:47:23 (permalink)
Oh, and Windows Defender is not what you use with W7 , You use Microsoft Security Essentials 
You can install Windows Defender but it only does the Firewall or something basic. In Windows 8 and 10 it's a full on anti virus,, but not 7. 
I find MSE very buggy for the updating these days,, it stalls

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Tripecac
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/17 11:25:31 (permalink)
Hmm, I thought the blue ports were USB 2 and the non-blue ones were USB 1 or 3, but it sounds like I had that backwards!  So maybe that's all it took: connecting to a non-blue (USB 2) instead of blue (USB 3) port.  Regardless, I listened all day yesterday (10+ hours) on a non-blue port, and didn't have a single drop-out!

As for anti-virus, I know AVG gets rough reviews at times, but so do all anti-virus programs.  Well, at least the free ones.  And the last time I paid for AV was Norton, and that was a LOT more intrusive and buggy than AVG.  Windows Defender is indeed pretty limited on Windows 7.

tripecac.com

Tripecac
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (USB audio interface) - Dropouts, ASIO, and other questions 2016/10/25 02:12:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GjB 2017/10/08 03:19:50
I can confirm that switching to the USB 2.0 ports fixed the problem.  For the past week, I haven't had any dropouts (except with certain games, which have been known for audio glitches).

tripecac.com

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1