Happy MOTU users please respond.

Author
RishiS
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 224
2016/10/24 08:13:42 (permalink)

Happy MOTU users please respond.

I have been looking to move from Focusrite Scarlett (first gen) to either RME or MOTU. The RME UCX is over my budget and the MOTU ultralite mk series and AVB series look promising from a feature and price point compared to the Babyface Pro. I have heard some complaints about MOTU driver/latency issues in cake forums and outside, esp on Windows. On the other hand RME's driver stability is a known fact. I want to see if there are happy MOTU-Sonar users before I can make a final decision.So people using MOTU interfaces, please help !
Thanks in advance.

17 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/24 10:40:46 (permalink)
    I recently (a couple of months ago) moved from a Roland Octa-Capture to an MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid.  The Octa-Capture developed problems and the quoted price from Roland for the parts was more than I wanted to pay.  I get slightly better latency with the MOTU (USB) with a 64 samples buffer (lowest it will go).  It also has better preamps.  With the Octa-Capture I always used a mic preamp.  I find I don't need it with the MOTU.  But, if I wanted to use an external preamp, I can bypass the built in preamps.  Couldn't bypass the preamps (that I  know of) in the Octa-Capture.

I didn't like their control program at first.  It took some hands on demonstration by another MOTU user to understand it.

Latency, as reported by Sonar Platinum, using ASIO and USB
    Input 2.7 msec 121 samples
    Output 3.3 msec 146 samples
    Total roundtrip 6.1 msec 267 samples

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/24 11:31:49 (permalink)
    You may have followed the other MOTU thread, which we had going until recently due to some connectivity issues (now resolved) ...

About 3 months back I was also facing the RME vs. MOTU question - and after researching options either interfaces provide I went with the MOTU AVB series (meanwhile I got 2 1248 units) and while scalability, routing options, etc. were the reason I went with MOTU, they are quite intimidating in the first few weeks. Even being a tech-savvy person, I had to admit that it took several weeks of using it to get maximum value from what it offers.

So now with connectivity issues resolved and details of functionality properly understood, I'm really happy with it. It can take a huge load and perform well (see e.g. here).

All of my experience relates to the more expensive 1248 AVB units, but the ultralite AVB runs off the same drivers.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Makzimia
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/24 12:07:59 (permalink)
    I've owned some highly varied gear. Over 25 years of PC/Mac use. I've had from a cakewalk SP20 up to a RME HDSPe Madi with Orion 32. In between I've owned and still have a Motu Traveller MK3. While FireWire might be out of style, if it is any indication of MOTUs commitment to equality to RMEs driver stability, imho you can't go wrong.

Tony

Tony Carpenter
    Castille Productions
    Sonar Platinum//Cubase 10 Pro//Logic Pro X 
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 6 core 3.46ghz
    32GB RAM
    UA Apollo Quad FireWire, UAD2 Quad, X-touch, NI 12 Ultimate Collectors, Montage 7

RishiS
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/24 13:09:41 (permalink)
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]

About 3 months back I was also facing the RME vs. MOTU question - and after researching options either interfaces provide I went with the MOTU AVB series (meanwhile I got 2 1248 units) and while scalability, routing options, etc. were the reason I went with MOTU, they are quite intimidating in the first few weeks. Even being a tech-savvy person, I had to admit that it took several weeks of using it to get maximum value from what it offers.

Thanks for the useful information. My concern is that I am not that tech-savvy when it comes to tweaking audio interfaces .I am looking for something that I can plug-in, install the drivers, set the latency and focus on my music. Your feedback and similar ones I read else where are hinting clearly that "if you very carefully set things up correctly, it will work" which is what is making me move away from MOTU.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/24 14:00:49 (permalink)
    Looking back, the biggest issue is it has a lot of options (options that I'll probably never use).   But, its not unlike some of the other hardware interface's control programs.  I used to have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and the control program for that is a bit confusing, due to the any routing options. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Makzimia
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/24 15:44:29 (permalink)
    Do not mistake available complexity with lack of ease of plug and play :).

Tony Carpenter
    Castille Productions
    Sonar Platinum//Cubase 10 Pro//Logic Pro X 
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 6 core 3.46ghz
    32GB RAM
    UA Apollo Quad FireWire, UAD2 Quad, X-touch, NI 12 Ultimate Collectors, Montage 7

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/24 22:07:48 (permalink)
    I was a very happy MOTU user for 10 years. Zero complaints. Then it broke.

I couldn't afford to replace it with the newer model, and couldn't afford the RME I'd planned on eventually upgrading to. So I did a lot of research and wound up buying a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I only had to give up a couple minor features and the Focusrite was 1/3 the price of the MOTU. It's done a fine job in the 18 months I've had it.

Had I known the MOTU was about to give up the ghost, I'd have saved up and gotten the RME. But stuff breaks when you least expect it, and often when you're least-prepared to absorb the expense. The Focusrite was a life saver.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Saxxon
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/25 10:52:15 (permalink)
    Own a 896mk3 Hybrid (am using USB2.0) for routing.  Am using it at its lowest setting 64 spls 2.7/3.3ms with np.  It has a built in hardware mixer (via CueMix [no latency]) that allows you to mix in all 32 inputs into 8 stereo busses and can be used stand-alone.

I'm really enjoying mine and using it to get audio (mostly stereo) out of my PC and into my VS-2480 (another hardware unit [no latency]) and back into my DAW.

Own an FA-08 that I use to convert all midi to .wav and load into my DAW for quality mixing while mastering is done in the Roland VS-2480.  Also own a a JV-1010, Axon Terratec Producer, DigiTech GSP1101, VoiceLive Rack which I use for Vocals and Instruments, and a Casio WK-3700, and Korg Triton-Le.

Since I've gotten my Roland FA-08 I haven't been using the JV-1010, Axon, nor the Casio/Korg keyboards.  I still use my MOTU MTP/AV (Timepiece), but no longer using it for midi, just synchronization.

However, since the Pre's are better on the 896mk3 than the VS-2480, and the mixer is better than my Behringer EuroRack, I now use the MOTU 896mk3 for all of my routing/mixing and it is working quite well for me.
    Fleer
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8715
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/25 11:30:57 (permalink)
    Have a look at Antelope. I ordered the Zen Tour, which offers better than RME quality at almost half the price of their UFX+.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
    RishiS
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/26 03:15:49 (permalink)
    Fleer
    Have a look at Antelope. I ordered the Zen Tour, which offers better than RME quality at almost half the price of their UFX+.

I see the reviews are very good for this one. The user base may be lesser than RME, coz its relatively new. There is one other thread in this forum where someone asked if anyone is using antelope  and there are no responses. But its tempting to get this one.
    LLyons
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/26 23:46:07 (permalink)
    Well.. 1248 owner here. Picked it up within the first few months it hit the market. I've taken every update and not had any complaints. Runs 32 samples in USB and most definitely less with thunderbolt interface. My p/c is relatively up to date.

It has good preamps, and the sound is noticeably superior to my old 828mkII. Noticeably. I really like the web app and the ability to not have to be near the unit to adjust inputs and outputs - they are remotely configurable. I use the onboard compressors during recording, because they sound good.

I agree with everyone that learning routing and mix/submix takes a bit of time but it pays back in spades because it eliminates the need for me to ever have to worry about sample buffer size. I had to use phone support to figure out routing and they took care of my needs same day.

It more than meets my needs, and has done so, not skipping a beat or failing since the day I got it from Sweetwater, knock wood. I love it.
    LL

L Lyons 
    DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
    Home Built Machine
    32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
    Win 10 Pro
    Intel i7-6700K
    Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
    Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
    Limited connection to internet
    DAW use ONLY
    WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
    MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
    MOTU AVB Switch
    Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
    CS18ai - Connect AVB
    LLyons
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/26 23:46:12 (permalink)
    Well.. 1248 owner here. Picked it up within the first few months it hit the market. I've taken every update and not had any complaints. Runs 32 samples in USB and most definitely less with thunderbolt interface. My p/c is relatively up to date.

It has good preamps, and the sound is noticeably superior to my old 828mkII. Noticeably. I really like the web app and the ability to not have to be near the unit to adjust inputs and outputs - they are remotely configurable. I use the onboard compressors during recording, because they sound good.

I agree with everyone that learning routing and mix/submix takes a bit of time but it pays back in spades because it eliminates the need for me to ever have to worry about sample buffer size. I had to use phone support to figure out routing and they took care of my needs same day.

It more than meets my needs, and has done so, not skipping a beat or failing since the day I got it from Sweetwater, knock wood. I love it.
    LL

L Lyons 
    DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
    Home Built Machine
    32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
    Win 10 Pro
    Intel i7-6700K
    Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
    Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
    Limited connection to internet
    DAW use ONLY
    WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
    MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
    MOTU AVB Switch
    Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
    CS18ai - Connect AVB
    Mosvalve
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1194
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/10/27 16:05:01 (permalink)
    I am a first time Motu owner. I recently purchased the Motu 828 MK3 Hybrid. For years I'ved used the Focusrite Pro 24 which was good but not without it's issues. The focusrite in my opinion does not compare to the Motu. The first thing I noticed playback sounded so clear and detailed and it's not new hardware placebo. The preamps are good and so far no issues. I've only had it for a couple of months so I can't give a detailed review. I can say you will not go back to Focusright. I only say this in comparison to my Pro 24 and the my buddy's Pro 40. The Cuemix takes a little getting used to but so did the Mixcontrol. 

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
    RishiS
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/11/02 14:36:41 (permalink)
    Mosvalve
    I am a first time Motu owner. I recently purchased the Motu 828 MK3 Hybrid. For years I'ved used the Focusrite Pro 24 which was good but not without it's issues. The focusrite in my opinion does not compare to the Motu. The first thing I noticed playback sounded so clear and detailed and it's not new hardware placebo. The preamps are good and so far no issues. I've only had it for a couple of months so I can't give a detailed review. I can say you will not go back to Focusright. I only say this in comparison to my Pro 24 and the my buddy's Pro 40. The Cuemix takes a little getting used to but so did the Mixcontrol. 

It is pleasing to hear thee motunsounds better than focusrite..coz I'm currently using a Scarlett and looking for better soundimnsoundimng interface.
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/11/04 07:04:20 (permalink)
    5 years ago ..

I agonized for about a year before dropping $750 on the 828 mk3 hybrid..
    ..within an hour i realised how dumb i had been to wait so long
    ...within a week i had forgot that it cost that much,
    .....and within a year realised it was the best money i ever spent in the studio

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    RishiS
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/11/17 13:55:17 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the responses. 
    Fleer
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8715
    Re: Happy MOTU users please respond. 2016/11/19 10:28:44 (permalink)
    RishiS
    Fleer

I see the reviews are very good for this one. The user base may be lesser than RME, coz its relatively new. There is one other thread in this forum where someone asked if anyone is using antelope  and there are no responses. But its tempting to get this one.

Well, in the end I canceled the order. Took too long. And I read too many negative posts @GearSlutz. I do believe they make good stuff though, as their clocks are quite famous. And I loved the look of that sweet little Zen Tour. It's just that the company is in Bulgaria and they seem to be a rather limited operation. Well, back to my Propellerhead Balance twins and wait another year before new TB3 and USB-C compatible desktop interfaces appear from Apogee or MOTU. Or at last a nice looking one from RME. Or maybe UAD-3 gets launched, who knows. 

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1