Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to another)

Author
KyRo
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
2016/10/06 04:40:21 (permalink)
5 (1)

Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to another)

Say you've got several projects that were recorded in the same manner, you mix one of them to your liking, and want to apply the same settings to the remainder of the projects.

Currently, you have to go into each project and adjust all of the settings to match those of the mixed project. ProChannel and plugin presets are helpful, but only get you part of the way there. You still need to manually set all fader levels, panning positions, gain adjustments, sends, inputs and outputs, etc.

I would like to have a way to quickly and easily copy all of these parameters from one project and apply them to another.

This could be as sophisticated as having a customizable import/export dialog that allows you to specify which settings you want to copy, and which coordinating tracks you want them copied to (similar to how Pro Tools handles their "Import Session Data" function).

Or it could be as simple as expanding the power of presets, giving them access to every parameter on the channel strip, from Gain to Output.

Either way would provide a big boost in streamlining and time-saving.

And yes, I know that you can create track templates set up with these parameters for use with future projects. But I'm talking about applying settings to projects that already contain data, and without the inefficient workaround of importing templates into such a project and copying over the data from one set of tracks to another, which could easily take more time than manually re-applying each setting as described previously.

Would anyone else like to see something like this added to SONAR?
post edited by dimelives1 - 2016/10/06 15:25:10

9 Replies Related Threads

RSMCGUITAR
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re: Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to anot 2016/10/09 11:23:14 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Just a suggestion.. Why don't you delete all your track data (audio and midi clips), save as new project then import new track data?
    KyRo
    Re: Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to anot 2016/10/09 15:05:05 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    RSMCGUITAR
    Just a suggestion.. Why don't you delete all your track data (audio and midi clips), save as new project then import new track data?

Because, like I was getting at at the end of my OP, doing that (in the only way that I know how; i.e. copying and pasting) just feels like a clunky workaround that turns what should be a straightforward, five minute procedure into an hour+ ordeal, as I often have many tracks with numerous takes, copying things over to another project/track can leave screwy results in the take department, or getting things lined up just right when copying over to a new track (e.g. if the start of clips aren't all perfectly aligned to the grid), etc.

Instead, it would seem so much simpler and quicker to be able to just import/apply the settings onto already-existing tracks (again, be it through a more advanced menu, or a [probably easier-to-implement] expansion of presets, allowing them to save & load the entire channel strip's parameters).
    post edited by dimelives1 - 2016/10/09 16:34:29
    ricoskyl
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 327
    Re: Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to anot 2016/10/25 21:28:20 (permalink)
    I use the approach outlined by RSMGuitar (thanks for saying it better than I could have) and I find it only takes me a few minutes.  I could envision your approach becoming more efficient, but I bet I'd waste more time than I saved by missing a checkbox or two on the "more advanced menu" you mentioned.  <Sorry.>

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
    Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
    ----------------------
    Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
    KyRo
    Re: Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to anot 2016/10/26 01:58:40 (permalink)
    ricoskyl
    I use the approach outlined by RSMGuitar (thanks for saying it better than I could have) and I find it only takes me a few minutes.  I could envision your approach becoming more efficient, but I bet I'd waste more time than I saved by missing a checkbox or two on the "more advanced menu" you mentioned.  <Sorry.>

I feel like something as simple as full Channel Strip preset-ability alone could make the whole process a lot quicker and more streamlined.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to anot 2016/10/26 05:14:42 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    just a quick idea ... what about the ability to import / drag+drop a track template onto an existing track to apply its settings ?

this needs to be thought thru but could potentially have many nice additions, like a "safe" mode drag+drop (by .e.g. holding SHIFT) which allows you to select which plugins you want to insert/overwrite, or a track templates with multiple tracks which would allow you to import the entire settings for e.g. all 14 drum channels ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    arlen2133
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    Re: Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to anot 2016/10/26 18:52:12 (permalink)
    I like Rob's idea.  Being able to drag and drop a channel "preset" could provide for some interesting configurations.
    Not that I wouldn't mind the WHOLE template as an "apply once" method, but usually from song to song I'm not that consistent..

Arlen
    aka
    Mr Grant
    my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

KyRo
    Re: Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to anot 2016/10/28 02:56:13 (permalink)
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]
    just a quick idea ... what about the ability to import / drag+drop a track template onto an existing track to apply its settings ?

this needs to be thought thru but could potentially have many nice additions, like a "safe" mode drag+drop (by .e.g. holding SHIFT) which allows you to select which plugins you want to insert/overwrite, or a track templates with multiple tracks which would allow you to import the entire settings for e.g. all 14 drum channels ...

I like it. Could be a helpful approach as well.
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to anot 2016/10/31 10:03:56 (permalink)
    And what's rongith using Mix Recall?

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    KyRo
    Re: Channel Strip Presets (or, a way to quickly copy mix settings from one project to anot 2016/11/01 05:16:28 (permalink)
    mudgel
    And what's rongith using Mix Recall?

Come again?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1