Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks

Author
Vourteque
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2016/10/12 13:36:03 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks

Hey all,

So everything seemed hunky dory with Sonar until I overhauled my computer etc (new SSD for Win 10 etc).  Old projects run just fine but new projects the audio drops constantly.  If have more than seemingly 10... yes 10... audio tracks I get audio drops.

I've boosted latency up over 1000 and I finally did the I/0 latency to 512... but my computer runs a quad core processor and 16gb ram.  I have a Focusrite Pro 24 sound interface that should be handling the computing power of the sound too.  It's all very confusing, especially as the computer doesn't seem to be being taxed at all.  Both Sonar Platinum are Win 10 are most up to date too as is the firmware on my Focusrite.  I could be running a mere 10 audio tracks, NO processing and there's constant audio drops... I just don't get it.

Boosting i/o to 512 seemed to do the trick... but that seems like an EXTREME solution to this.  Especially with a computer this powerful. 

Oh and Cakewalk Customer Support is worthless it seems now that they releases Sonar X "OS" or something.  Thanks for really being here for your loyal customers all these years.  I have one day in my studio and this random things happens and no one can help me through it... lovely.

Hopefully someone here has an answer.

11 Replies Related Threads

Vourteque
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/12 13:54:36 (permalink)
    Quick update, I get the "unexpected audio drop out" message when I just minimize a project... what the heck is going on here?
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/12 14:56:22 (permalink)
    Maybe checking dpc latency would give you an idea what is wrong with the current config. There is a free tool available here http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
    Sir Les
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1182
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/14 08:53:01 (permalink)
    Hey Vourteque..

I hope you keep your hopes up...Many Users of Daws are having issues with MS windows.
    You are not alone.

That said...In your profile of this forum you have joined, Put a listing of your setup/ all devices attached/ and OS build being used.

It helps others look into possible conflicts with your setup.

Now...I think, you mention a computer...Ok.is it a laptop?...or desktop?....Does it have onboard audio?...and a onboard video chip?...or is it all add on cards, and some things defeated in Device manager or bios?.

Again...We need some input..
    So if you have a video card that has HDMI audio capable functions...(I believe might cause or is linked to problems)..so disable in device manager, or in the video cards application app for that card if possible.

Then make sure, if you have a onboard audio device...Use that to run windows system sounds/play back of internet streaming and so on (system sounds can be defeated) Setup as default play back device in "Control Panel's sound app....and go through the Properties  of that device..and the focusrite 24 in that app...making sure it all is correctly tested by Windows OS..

Once you test each as default, and make sure the test bed is sounding ok...make the onboard sound device your default audio play back and recording device.

That will leave the forcusrite audio device free from conflicts and sharing with..windows application that may use audio....making it exclusive to DAWS that use the device through your selection in the Sonar Preferences , or any DAW you may want stability with...

Then...
    In Sonar...if you are using the Focusrite audio 24 asio...make sure to unselect that in Sonar's "Preferences" change to wmd...hit apply...then turn it back to "ASIO" for the focusrite audio device....and hit apply again...This may unseat any ties that windows put on...and other applications may have tied to, if not done before setup...with odd ties,..things sometimes do not release the drivers...so a refreshing may be needed by manual remove and resetting.

Not sure if it helps you...But sometimes I find myself seeing lost audio device on start up of Sonar....and when I do this before any sessions in past, it would not show any more drop outs or lost device messages, and would go through that session with no issues per say...Just the lost audio driver message at the beginning of starting the application.

I believe in some thread...Some one of Cake said, there was a bug with drivers being lost....So,...I think it has something to do with that...and Windows OS being a hog!...Also sometimes internet applications use plugins for streaming and connect to the wrong device..and lock it to the wrong bit and or frequencies....So to end that...keep your DAW audio from being tied to windows OS Playback...

If you wish..You can run a stereo line out of the onboard audio device, to the Focusrite inputs of choice...and play back through the one to the other...in that line.

ANd it may help stop some issues? ...?

Also turn off any redundant apps or devices before any sessions that may interrupt flow of data to and from storage...virus protection...etc....internet nic and wi fi...if possible...when checking or troubleshooting audio drivers..one by one if the problem persists....if found to cause...make notes!

You might find the culprit on your adventure in doing....and enlighten others to.

Be well...and hope some of this helps you?...and or others...
    And if it is not applicable...it is a good method to start with.

Cheers!

post edited by Sir Les - 2016/10/14 09:21:40

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
    2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/16 23:26:15 (permalink)
    The default buffer size for playback used to BE 512 - until one release back in the X1-X2-X3 days when it was changed to 256.  Some folks found that 256 was just too small, and found success at fixing some audio issues by bumping it back up to 500 or 512, or even 750.

So that is one thing you could quickly try.

Another is to try to quickly determine if your issues are related to any of your project's loaded plugins, as some of them are NOT meant to be used during the recording phase of a project, but rather, meant to be used in mixing/mastering instead.  These kinds of effects include things that use look-ahead processing, such as convoluted reverb effects, or linear phase, or are just CPU hogs.

So - to check that one way or to rule it out - you can try hitting the letter 'E' on your computer keyboard, which will toggle the bypassing of all effects.  So, hit 'E', THEN playback, and see if the audio issues go away.  IF they do, that is a good indicator that one or more of the loaded plugins are causing the issue - not because they are loaded in the project - but that they are loaded into the project too soon.  Lots of folks either bypass effects while recording, OR, temporarily swap out more buffer/cpu hungry effects for 'leaner' ones - just until finished tracking/recording, and THEN after you change the ASIO Buffer Size to something like 1024 or 2048 and start the mixing phase, THEN put those more heavy duty effects back in.  (by the way - you can hit 'E' again to toggle the effects back ON, after you test out having them bypassed).

Lastly - IF you have a wireless WiFi adapter - these are notorious for causing DPC Latency spikes through the roof, and for folks that have THAT issue - they usually either hit the switch/function-key to turn off the WiFi on their computer, or go into Windows Device Manager and Disable it (not uninstall), THEN launch Sonar, then turn WiFi back on after they finish the Sonar session.

The general approach to using recording software like Sonar, or any of them really, is to use a pretty small ASIO Buffer Size when recording (I normally use 128 could go lower but that seems to give a good balance), and not loading effects that shouldn't be present while recording, and then when finished tracking - set the ASIO Buffer Size way high (1024 or 2048) for mixing/mastering.  You pretty much will be switching the ASIO Buffer Size between low and high in all of your projects - as you move from Recording to Mixing, and then on to another project and set it low again for recording, etc...

I HOPE something in the above helps you with this set of issues.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Sir Les
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/17 04:26:35 (permalink)
    It is set as you told me back in the day to 512 in sonar's preferences Bob...when I got win 7 and 8.1 tips from you Guys...Thanks Alex and Bob...

I think this goes deeper.

Real tech ASIO is messing with Motu ASIO...Just found this mixed up when opening a new project, after running Sonar updates, and getting the free Compressor...and then fooling around with 10 midi tracks of Pink Floyd's Learning to fly, and setting XLN adictive drummer 2, And Native Sonar instruments to midi tracks for sound play back...
    Had some trouble with command center....but I think it sorted out, and I was able to get things updated, before playing around some more with...Just Midi...Freaking mess up..once setup right in preference, stuttering and a crash, hopefully a send report, with the white out soon to follow the window saying it was sending that report.....I think a complete wipe out and reinstall...is now due...Because I can?...or I should?...because this is just loony!

Got a new SSD to install to..and I will wipe out, and redo, Just for sonar, one ssd drive, nothing else , and unplug from the internet completely, and disable all redundancy, and leave Edge as default, and see if that solves for..abcdefghijkl windows mopology department into action..is the last straw to pull on!

Thanks for all the good things you Guys do here for so many!...perhaps when MS windows stops updating the OS, and such...without permissions...That is when people should install apps?...Might be a reasonable thought process before any Policy or claims be made....and found not withstanding...until such time .

Cheers!

P.S...I think I hear black viper calling me back,...But Lunix will run these PC machines as Farms very well, I am told...and ethernet cat7 the horses to the MAC ...Perhaps is best to ponder now!

Sir Les

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
    2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

robert_e_bone
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/17 15:33:58 (permalink)
    Hi Les - my earlier post comments were meant for the Original Poster of the thread - Vorteque, to give him some things to look for.  HOPEFULLY, he will have some success with some of that, like YOU did way back when Alex and I worked with you on some of those kinds of issues.

If you are having current issues - I would urge you to open a separate thread, to avoid confusing you and Vorteque both from intermingled comments on multiple issues from multiple folks.

I would also suggest that my system, and many other folk's systems, are avoiding trying to apply many of the older tips and such from sites like Black Viper, as the underlying Windows processing has negated the need for much of that.  In some cases, it is my recollection that some of the tweaks would actually worsen performance in some circumstances.

I have been SUPER stable running Windows 10, updates and all, and the only modifications/tweaks I have made thus far are:

1) Hard Drive Configuration: 1 SSD for primary drive - with only Windows and applications on it.  All User folders relocated to a different hard drive, as well as things like Cakewalk Projects, Cakewalk Content (including Command Center downloads), also relocated to that 2nd drive (7,200 SATA III HDD).  I have 3 additional 7,200 SATA III HDD's that contain nothing but sample libraries (one drive for Native Instruments Komplete 8 Ultimate content and massive additional Kontakt libraries and Reaktor ensembles, and the other drive contains the full download of the entire EastWest Composer Cloud sample libraries).

2) Windows Power Management - Set to High Performance, USB Selective Suspend is Disabled, Minimum Processor State is 100%, both monitor and hard drives set to never turn off.

3) Core Parking is Disabled.

4) I also exclude all paths to content that will be used in Sonar from my Avast antivirus software.  It is all scanned monthly, or anything else that gets added during a given month (any new content).

5) In Sonar, I altered the paths in Preferences to match the actual locations of things, like Projects and Content.  I also have altered a parameter in Preferences>Audio>Configuration File called ThreadSchedulingModel to a value of 2, as I have multiple cores (AMD A10 7850), which helps processor task loading.  I also have Preferences>MIDI>Playback and Recording - Prepare using NNN Millisecond Buffers set to 500.

That is about IT for me for modifications to my system and to Sonar.  I use NO 32-bit plugins anymore.  With the above changes, I cannot tell you how long it has been since I crashed - more than a year, and maybe more than 2 years.

So - again, Les, - please open a separate thread to work out whatever current issues you are having, and I will do my best to assist you, along with whoever else is willing to jump in to help.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Sir Les
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/26 12:10:44 (permalink)
    Yah, SORRY FOLKS,... I meant no ill will Bob,...It does seem like I try to over take posts, and twist them to my own accounts...but i do not mean to...I just put my experience so far, into my understanding, and as same understandings are liken the same issues, or told some same things which did not solve for but exposed more so, a very bad experience which got worse, the more i tried to solve for it......But, might be not same as the OP, but seems so in nature...I use my own experience as "personal experience to reason out" put to words...I know no other way but by hands on, and experience to say..or try to reveal what could be a assumed cure..or cause..

Please forgive me for seemingly to over rule the OP, if that is how it seems...I only want to help..if I can,...and I only have my experiences to offer as a guide....might not be put into words, the right way or practical logic used...But sometimes logics don't work....But it comes from the heart of ..wanting to help solve ongoing issues with PCs and OS MS.
    Keep the flow...good intent in...gains good intent out...Again Sorry.

I have opened threads, and have insults to injury added by...And I am solving issues I never thought I would..and addressing more than I should need to...or you need to Bob..or others doing or trying to.....But we do try Bob...and in that I see much blessings!...I only want to help solve for, a never truly solved issue...And it is because the unknown variable keeps changing.....Right?...which could make futile any attempts to truly grasp the cause or see true to reason out the effects causing....glitches in the machine.

Cheers!
    post edited by Sir Les - 2016/10/26 13:13:47

Sir Les
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/26 12:45:22 (permalink)
    Hay ..Just to say, leaving things default or not.\Not me saying...:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVzc5wK2-pc

this one proves MS resets some settings users put on...when updates occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw

and the nasty truth...spooling info, being writen, or made new...is always sought to send out.\using cpu, and resources to do so..running behind the vale....takes resources away from the tasks at hand wanting to be done without any interruptions.....Because interrupting cpu and or hardware, liken HDD or SSD to spool and send or save to same or other drives to keep for sending...may be causing issues with streaming audio to and from same devices....and could be behind other file management issues some people are witnessing in oddly un reproducible conditions....but happens loss of data due to a unknown management glitch in managing that date.

That is now proven is happening to some people.

Is my only point trying to make known.

Again no ill will Bob or OP or others, only trying to solve for...." sometimes buffer changes" do nothing to solve for that sort of...was my point.

Best cheers to all who try to help, with what they know....might.
    post edited by Sir Les - 2016/10/26 13:33:11

robert_e_bone
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/26 13:53:27 (permalink)
    No probs, Les.  The gist of my earlier posts was that sometimes folks tweak themselves into worse performance, and that some of the posted tweaks aren't necessarily applicable for newer versions of Windows.  :)

Bob Bone

Sir Les
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/26 14:54:39 (permalink)
    Again not to take the post from..But to answer You Bob...sometime tweaks told to do, and stop the issues, might bring into play if not solving for the issue ..cause more cost to update os, which causes more problems, and no solutions found yet for legacy issues or devices...So updating to new apps and os...only make more redundant the driver for a legacy device, or may cause more conflicts to arise, if said device no longer is being supported, or are not addressing as the manufacturer's most important thing to do asap, if changes are not settled in standards..(they take time to address the older gear drivers).....It is a guessing game of futility sometimes...Not saying I am tweaking anything that should or is not needed to be running, and causes no harm to turn off or defeat to gain more performance out of a systems devices attached...Less processes and services running in background, means less possibility of interference, and or interupts...is all i am saying...and interruptions ""cause hick ups""", and or crashes or corruption of data...sometimes...And some are saying oddity is occurring with file management ...with such behavior not seeing why or what causes the unknowns of oddity occurring ...Mystery a foot Watson...?.

I have also noted, when windows 10 is getting updates downloaded automatically...as it does do regardless of setting made to stop it (witnessed by ME and others when set in services to disabled)....Some will show slow or sluggish performance of mouse, or app clicks on or overlays...the system slows downs, and or button clicking to play or stop or rewind ....I noted that also...\\

You say because you have settings that seeming work for you with no problems, and say or deploy your thoughts, and your tweaks or solution you find to work for you and others..but not all.......Just like me, finding some not solving for my understanding of what I have ...So, we can agree, something is amuck...and if we watch those link videos on window 10....some reasoning of my own on interrupts a plausible variable of unknown reasoning out...gains wind and merit......depending on systems specs, and or tweaks, and or devices being used.

Remember, I did a complete wipe out of my tweaks, and windows 7 with you and Alex, because You and Alex said to do it...and I did do...no tweaks,...and just installing my audio Drivers with internet caused crashing....and that caused another burnt out system, trying to find bliss?.......Not your fault...not mine...Just a problem with windows and Firewire legacy audio devices which have plagued me since their conception...I had kind of tweaked the snot out of windows os 7 to work with knowing internet was in conflict with, Yet told to update to the latest bios, firmware, and drivers, and start all over again from scratch......some what, was futile circles of mayhem....But the effort of you both, brought me to new reasons, and new mind over matters....The good out of it all, was I found Good people who did try and cared enough to address my problems...which are now working with Thunderbolt 2...and my allen and heath boards are now on the Mac Pro working without too much hair loss...Raid aray is buggy though since updated to el capitan...Working on that right now.

So some solutions are...of course not wanted because it means changing platforms....But sometimes that is what is necessary to find what has never been with me and PCs...still trying...but not so hard, as I see MS windows causing part of the problems with the spyware they instill into their OSes....
    And services they employ to spool and take info...and send when connected...regardless of what you or others or any user sets to not allow to be done...if connected to internet.

That said...if you feel, this is not a issue because you have nothing to hide...and it is not causing you any issues...Glad for you I am.
    But if it is causing issues...and I believe it can...and reasons for it are showing others are posting issues that cannot be reproduced, yet are being said are occurring....\\I will not say it is always pilot error.

I did try your way Bob...and I have hope..one day...We will prevail over, and solve for much...together!\....wink!

robert_e_bone
    Re: Sonar Platinum - Audio Dropping Constantly with just 10 unprocessed audio tracks 2016/10/26 17:15:02 (permalink)
    Please understand I used the words 'sometimes' and 'some' deliberately to not make any blanket statements about anything in my earlier posts here - I only offered some suggestions to try and some things to look at.

I really do not want to deal with your particular situation in this thread.

Vorteque - can you please list your computer specs?  Many folks in these forums add their specs to their forum profile Signature, and with the little box below where you would add those checked, it will include your specs at the bottom of all of your forum posts.  They are helpful for these kinds of situations. oso that we can get a better idea of your setup.

Please also indicate what you are using for processing audio - do you have an audio interface?  What Driver Mode are you using in Sonar Preferences?  What about your Sample Rate?

Bob Bone

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1