MIDI Release Velocity

Author
Resort Records
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 234
2016/10/29 21:20:50 (permalink)

MIDI Release Velocity

I'm surprised and disappointed that Sonar doesn't support MIDI Release Velocity.  This seems peculiar for an app with nearly as much history as MIDI itself.  It was in the original MIDI 1.0 spec and is generated by many keyboards and controllers... okay, some keyboards and controllers.  Alright, it's supported by a few specialty keyboards and controllers, but I hope recent developments by Roli and others suggest renewed appreciation for quality performance controllers and the nuanced, organic performances musicians are getting from them.

Please, Cakewalk, add support for MIDI Release Velocity.  I (and my keyboard controller) will be most grateful.

Thank you for your consideration.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc

2 Replies Related Threads

ricoskyl
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 327
    Re: MIDI Release Velocity 2016/10/31 23:39:24 (permalink)
    I'm not sure I'd be able to control the release velocity of my playing as I'm not as nuanced as the MIDI 1.0 spec. 

Can the spec correlate to a CC#?  Couldn't you just treat release velocity as another CC?  Or is it polyphonic?  

I know the aftertouch spec allows poly control, but no-one really supports that either.  I had an old Ensoniq SQ-80 that did and I thought I was operating on an entirely new plane though I rarely used it for anything I recorded.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
    Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
    ----------------------
    Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
    Resort Records
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re: MIDI Release Velocity 2016/11/01 02:45:39 (permalink)
    Yes, release velocity is polyphonic. Back in the day, programs would ignore release velocity because note release events can be triggered by either MIDI Note Off messages (velocity 0-127) or by MIDI Note On (velocity 0). When using only the latter form, MIDI running status can improve throughput by almost 30%. That was a big deal when folks were daisy-chaining a dozen synths together and the best interfaces had just two outs. But today, we have 8x8 interfaces and folks generally know better.

It's only a hunch but I wonder if Sonar's lack of support for Release Velocity is an ancient remnant of all that. Or, did somebody really just think it utterly useless? Or, was somebody just feeling lazy? :-D

David Delbridge
    Resort Records Inc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1