Helpful Replyvery often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects

Author
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
2016/11/12 09:35:56 (permalink)

very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects

Since the last two or three updates I get again and again corupt audiodata after normalizing an audioclip.
In principle this happens only when I split a recording into several takes and I want to normalize one of this takes or applying an effect to this take. Sometimes this can prevented when I first apply trimming to all audioclips and then normalize. Often this trick does not work. Sometimes I must bounce the audioclip to itself, before normalizing. But even that does not help anymore.
It also happens that after normalizing the audioclip is simply empty.
We have 3 (different) computers and on EACH computer these errors occur continuosly. And it happens on EACH project no matter what computer. The error occurs once a day since the last two or three Sonar-updates. Earlier we had this error once a month - now we have it daily.
Batch-normalizing 50 clips is not anymore possible without control each clip.
This can also happen by applying an effect to the clips. It's not linked to a special plugin.

Saving and restarting the project does not inform that there is a corrupt audio data. So you can loose a recording without realizing it immediately. In the worst case, the audioclip is simply empty or is not playable.

Because this happens on three computers with different hardware and different audio-interfaces since the last two or three Sonar-Updates I think this problem is up to Sonar.

Note:
When I batch-normalize the audioclips outside of Sonar via Adobe Edition or Steinberg WaveLab the error does not happen. (Therefor I have to copy the project creating a file per clip.)

As I see it happens mainly when the audioclip is associated with 2 or more clips.

BEFORE Normalizing I can see that the audioclip is associated with 4 files. I think this causes the error. But bouncing the clip to itself does not help. Because bouncing makes the same corrupt audiodata.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/12 09:58:09 (permalink)
Can you give a recipe to reproduce? I've had this happen a couple times - like once every couple years (!) - but could never figure out how to reproduce it, and didn't pay much attention because it was so rare. I do recall it happening only on mono clips.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/12 11:11:03 (permalink)
THambrecht

BEFORE Normalizing I can see that the audioclip is associated with 4 files. I think this causes the error.

Yes I would guess that's right. That shows that other destructive rendering process have been performed on sections of the clip, creating new files for those sections. Before reading this, I was going to suggest that having one file per clip was the reason you don't see a problem outside of SONAR. You probably wouldn't see a problem inside of SONAR in that case, either. As you probably know, it is possible to save a project to another location and specify 'one file per clip'; maybe you need to start doing that before normalizing.

Like other destructive rendering processes, Normalize always writes a new file. If multiple clips are selected; it writes a single file and references all the clips from that new file. If some corruption is reported after normalizing, it would seem to be related to a problem writing that new file.

I just did a few quick tests normalizing multiple clips referencing multiple files each, and couldn't reproduce a problem. Per Craig's suggestion, I used mono clips.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
THambrecht
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/12 11:27:40 (permalink)
This is because we digitaze hundreds of tapes and vinyl. We have 10 to 20 terabytes of audiodata. So we normalize thousends of clips per week. So we have the problem a thousend times as often.

Unfortunately I cannot give a recipe to reproduce this.
In this special case a record from 1 hour was splitted into 5 takes. An equalizer (Waves Q10) was applied to 3 of 5 takes with different settings. 2 other takes are not processed.
Sonar keeps to all of the 5 takes a file with the full length of the original. 3 files have a processed position within this large file.
In this case Sonar has obvios the problem to normalize the 3 clips - while Sonar keeps the full lenght to the original file with unprocessed regions. That would not happen when Sonar would create ONE file per clip.
The error happens - so my experience - when an audioclip is associated to more as one clip.

A solution would be a command that forces Sonar to create one clip per file. Or a check of the programming when editing with an audioclip that is associated with more as two files.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

THambrecht
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/12 11:37:36 (permalink)
Copying the project with "creating one file per clip" is also a problem and no solution.
But only since the last 2 or 3 updates.
Because in this case we get a new project with corrupt audiodata. Affected clips are empty or have corrupt regions in the audiodata.
That means the copying process destroys some of the audiodata.
There is no error message when loading this project.
This is a profound problem. Since the last 2 or 3 updates Sonar has a problem to handle audioclips which consists of multiple files. I mean not 1 file per 10 clips. I mean 3 files per single audioclip. Sonar does not get these 3 files together while processing the clip.

brundlefly
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/12 12:44:54 (permalink)
Sounds like it may only manifest when working with very large files. And if you have to do a thousand normalize operation to get a handful of failures, that will definitely be difficult to diagnose. Could also be an interoperability issue with your particular storage hardware and drivers. Seems likely you will need to work closely with the Bakers to get to the bottom of it, but you might start by rolling back to the last update that had no/fewer problems and see if stability returns.

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
ccm
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/12 12:59:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby THambrecht 2016/11/12 13:10:41
Plat caused 2 corrupted audio files (in 2 projects) this week using the latest version.
Both when processing gain on clips (using Process/ Apply affect/ Gain)
This has happened before over the years at random. Never on a single audio file but with several clips within the track.

ccm
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/13 12:41:42 (permalink)
It just happened to me again.
3 clips on a track, one was gain chained properly, other 2 corrupted.
I used undo, bounced the 3 clips to one then processed the gain successfully.
( I also tried recompute & clean audio folder but neither helped.)

I've also experienced it changing the placement of a few clips in the timeline. The clips had locked position enabled.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/13 13:00:17 (permalink)
A clip is merely a "window" into the underlying wav file, so numerous clips of the same file can be present. I can definitely see how this could throw SONAR for a loop as mentioned above, but I didn't realize the "3 files per clip" was even possible (take lanes?). In that situation, does bouncing to new clip (or even track) help?

I guess I am more confused on the multiple files per clip concept.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
ccm
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/13 13:08:52 (permalink)
Sorry, I should've written 3 clips per track.

Also to add another timing issue occurred after using the gain feature on a track with multi clips. The gain staging was correct but one of the clips were moved about a 1/4 note off. These clips were also locked in position.

brundlefly
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/14 10:15:38 (permalink)
mettelus
...I didn't realize the "3 files per clip" was even possible (take lanes?).

ceemusic
Sorry, I should've written 3 clips per track.

Mettelus was responding to THambrecht's posting "I mean 3 files per single audioclip. Sonar does not get these 3 files together while processing the clip."

This is indeed possible. If you destructively process only part of a clip, SONAR will write a new file for the processed section, and the unprocessed sections of the clip will still reference the original file. If you indepedently process many sections of a clip, you could potentially have dozens of files referenced by a single clip.

post edited by brundlefly - 2016/11/14 10:45:31

ccm
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/14 10:50:09 (permalink)
I understand you're explanation but keep in mind the clips in question are not overlapping & all are trimmed.
I've done literally thousands of these processes over the years & the error % is quite low.  However the corrupted issue has already occurred 5 times now since the last update so it seems  directly related.
brundlefly
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/14 14:43:04 (permalink)
I was just answering Michael's question about how you get multiple files per clip and clarifying that it appeared to be based on the OP's post.
Ulitmately it's probably going to take a reproducible example in order for the Bakers to be able to fix it, but I would suggest one of you go ahead and get the ball rolling with a formal Problem Report providing as much info about the circumstances as possible and an example of a project with corrupted audio files.
     http://www.cakewalk.com/S...Contact/Problem-Report

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/14 18:04:33 (permalink)
Sorry for the distraction and thank you for the clarification there. Dave is correct that it was directed to the OP. I never realized you can process only a part of a clip before.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/14 18:43:44 (permalink)
I've never seen this problem, but if I did, this is how I'd proceed...

1. Close the project without saving.
2. Reload the project, perform the exact same procedure again and see if the problem re-occurs.
3a. If it does - and it probably will - then yay! the problem is data-specific, AND you have a repeatable test case for Cakewalk to step through.
3b. If it doesn't - and that's far less likely - then it's intermittent, and that means you either have a plugin that performs some kind of random modulation, or it's hardware.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
awakerman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: very often corrupt audiodata after normalizing or applying effects 2016/11/16 13:47:11 (permalink)
Hi,
i have the same issue with th OP above...Since the last 2-3 updates, i got corrupted audio files after processing (change gain , normalize etc .)
NO warning at all. Sometimes i noticed afer the export .
This is a very critical situation as you can loose parts of a recording ...
Happened again yesterday in front of my client.. 

The sky moves sideways
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1