Windows 10 - day 2

Author
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
2016/11/23 11:36:19 (permalink)

Windows 10 - day 2

I bought a Win10 laptop to replace a tablet I've had for a few years.  It's a Win10 Home model, of course.

With a 4Mb/.75Mb internet connection, I spent the better part of yesterday with my entire bandwidth consumed by this thing doing Windows updates.  It's HP's turn today.

I'm going to reserve final judgment until after the initial updates are done, but Hey-Zeus H Xmas!!  No way to selectively time them, it schedules reboots for itself at will ... and I thought Android with a handful of apps was bad

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

12 Replies Related Threads

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/23 11:51:37 (permalink)
    BobF
    I bought a Win10 laptop to replace a tablet I've had for a few years.  It's a Win10 Home model, of course.

With a 4Mb/.75Mb internet connection, I spent the better part of yesterday with my entire bandwidth consumed by this thing doing Windows updates.  It's HP's turn today.

I'm going to reserve final judgment until after the initial updates are done, but Hey-Zeus H Xmas!!  No way to selectively time them, it schedules reboots for itself at will ... and I thought Android with a handful of apps was bad

Take control:
    If you use Wi-Fi, set your adapter to "metered connection".  Windows will not download anything unless you tell it to.

Or spend the $99 at the Windows store for the Pro upgrade, and control the updates with the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    BobF
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/23 11:58:20 (permalink)
    I've already been thinking Pro ... it just seems like ransom to me.  Just like Amazon holding shipments for a week unless you pay their ransom.

It's a new world.  Introduce problems and sell solutions.  Protection racket anyone?

Bob  --
    --

abacab
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/23 12:23:46 (permalink)
    BobF
    I've already been thinking Pro ... it just seems like ransom to me.  Just like Amazon holding shipments for a week unless you pay their ransom.

It's a new world.  Introduce problems and sell solutions.  Protection racket anyone?

I have Win 10 Pro on my desktop because I upgraded from Win 7 Pro.  I use the Bitlocker encryption with the native hardware encryption on my Samsung EVO SSD.  That gets the job done without the delays a software layer volume encryption would cause. 

I have Win 10 Home on my laptop, because it came with Home.  I can live without Bitlocker there, plus there are workarounds like the metered Wi-Fi trick.  So I can live without the Pro admin features there and save $99.

So unless you need Bitlocker or the Pro admin features, really no need to upgrade ...

BobF
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/23 21:07:56 (permalink)
    abacab
    BobF

I have Win 10 Pro on my desktop because I upgraded from Win 7 Pro.  I use the Bitlocker encryption with the native hardware encryption on my Samsung EVO SSD.  That gets the job done without the delays a software layer volume encryption would cause. 

I have Win 10 Home on my laptop, because it came with Home.  I can live without Bitlocker there, plus there are workarounds like the metered Wi-Fi trick.  So I can live without the Pro admin features there and save $99.

So unless you need Bitlocker or the Pro admin features, really no need to upgrade ...

Where is the "metered" setting located?

Bob  --
    --

abacab
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/23 21:31:57 (permalink)
    BobF
    abacab
    BobF

Which version of Win10 are you running?  1511 or 1607?

Type "winver" in the search box to run the command to get this displayed ...

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/24 06:41:20 (permalink)
    I have Win 10 Pro and it has settings for when to not reboot for updates, not sure if Home has this too.  Its called "Active Hours" Its located in Settings/Update and Security.

With a new PC, there are always a bunch of updates.  After the initial "deluge" it should be OK.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    abacab
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/24 09:57:15 (permalink)
    I have both editions, Win 10 Pro and Home.  True, the Pro allows you to take control of when the updates happen, or to defer them until convenient.  So my original comments were related to the value of paying for the $99 upgrade from Home to Pro.

By default, the Home edition will automatically download and install updates during the next restart, at least once a month.  Also, a major Win 10 feature upgrade will likely happen once or twice a year, aka Anniversary Update, etc.  That was known to break a few things when it first rolled out.  So it seems that if you want a stable DAW, it is better to be a late adopter for updates, until the bugs get worked out.  Just leaving updates set to autopilot gives zero control.

So say you are in the middle of a project using Home, and Windows downloads updates in the background.  Then if you decide to shutdown for the night, guess what?  Windows is updating your computer!  Might be inconvenient, or in the worst case could break your computer when you really need to get some work done.  Either way the potential is there to interrupt your workflow. 

If you set your Wi-Fi adapter as a "metered connection", i.e., tell Windows that you pay your provider by the bit, or have data caps, it will take your word for it regardless of whether you actually are metered.  It will never download any updates until you click and say to download.  If you are mobile and connect to different hotspots, you will need to set this for each connection that you use.

So to set your Wi-Fi as a metered connection on Windows 10 version 1511 (Fall 2015 Update) go here:
    Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Advanced options > Metered connection [on/off].

If you're using Win10 1607 (Anniversary Update), click Manage Known Networks. Then click on your current Wi-Fi connection and click Properties. One way or the other, you get to a Metered connection slider. Slide the setting On.

TL/DR - Here's a few tutorials:

http://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/

http://www.tenforums.com/...-set-windows-10-a.html

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3138088/microsoft-windows/woodys-win10tip-block-forced-win10-updates.html

soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/27 06:44:25 (permalink)
    You will bookmark and live at tenforums for at least a week.

I found that whatever restore points I, or the computer, made where gone - deleted - after every single update Win10 made. Cannot imagine why it does that unless there's a setting I don't know about.
    BobF
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/28 09:27:57 (permalink)
    abacab
    BobF
    abacab
    BobF

Which version of Win10 are you running?  1511 or 1607?

Type "winver" in the search box to run the command to get this displayed ...

One of the days it hogged my network was updating to 1607 ... If found the setting.  Thanks for the tip

Bob  --
    --

BobF
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/28 09:37:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the tips guys!

It has settled down now that it's "caught up" and I have Wi-Fi set to "Metered".  My plan is to periodically plug it into wired network to let it do its thing.

If this was a production laptop, I would go with Pro and be done with it.  As this is more/less a replacement for my previous Big Chair tablet, workflow interruptions aren't critical.

Thanks for the tip about Hotspots ... that will be Step 1 when I'm on the road, which is thankfully not that often these days.

I'll haunt Tenforums and other places until I have this figured out ... I am sooooo glad I ignored the FREE Win10 upgrades on my 8.1 DAW.  When it gets replaced it will be 10 Pro for sure.

I do wish I could get rid of the Windows Firewall nag.  I have Win Firewall off because I'm behind a hardware firewall.  I'm able to turn the nag off permanently in 8.1.  I wonder how much longer it will be before we lose all control of our machine settings.

Bob  --
    --

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/28 12:45:20 (permalink)
    I have a "hardware" firewall with my router, but I still keep the Windows firewall on.  Does not hurt anything either with Sonar, or Latency Mon.   But, I disable the NIC when I use Sonar, to prevent any potential problem.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    abacab
    Re: Windows 10 - day 2 2016/11/28 14:31:43 (permalink)
    BobF
    Thanks for all of the tips guys!

It has settled down now that it's "caught up" and I have Wi-Fi set to "Metered".  My plan is to periodically plug it into wired network to let it do its thing.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out Bob!  No need to plug into a wired network.  Just check into Settings > Update & Security from time to time.  It will tell you if there are available updates that cannot be downloaded due to the metered connection.  Just click ok to download and temporarily bypass the restriction.  Easy!

Edit: You may need to click "Check for updates" before you see any updates available to download.  Just did this earlier today.  Works great!

BobF
    I do wish I could get rid of the Windows Firewall nag.  I have Win Firewall off because I'm behind a hardware firewall.  I'm able to turn the nag off permanently in 8.1.  I wonder how much longer it will be before we lose all control of our machine settings.

You can turn off individual security and maintenance nags, such as the Firewall.  Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance\Change Security and Maintenance settings > Turn messages on or off.

Easy if you know where to look
    post edited by abacab - 2016/11/29 13:28:32

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1