Music Creator into an external sequencer ?

Author
swifty5
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2016/11/26 13:24:47 (permalink)

Music Creator into an external sequencer ?

hi, a bud of mine is trying to send a midi song from cakewalk to an old Yamaha qx5 fd sequencer so he can edit it in the sequencer (don't ask me why)
he's connected to the QX5 via usb into the midi in on the QX5 and has it set to record.
he plays the file in cakewalk and gets nothing being recorded into the sequencer.
i told him that the QX5 is so old maybe it isn't compatible

is he missing some step or can/can't it be done ?
any help appreciated
thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

mo.ries
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Music Creator into an external sequencer ? 2016/11/27 06:06:27 (permalink)
    hoi
    Check if " the device number of the receiving QX5FD must match the transmit channel"
    and maybe you cannot record all at once .
    good luck
    mo
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Music Creator into an external sequencer ? 2016/11/27 09:55:07 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    Apparently, this sequencer uses floppies, so maybe try saving your project as a MIDI file to a floppy disk, then load it into the Yamaha.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    swifty5
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Music Creator into an external sequencer ? 2016/11/27 13:16:15 (permalink)
    mo.ries
    hoi
    Check if " the device number of the receiving QX5FD must match the transmit channel"
    and maybe you cannot record all at once .
    good luck
    mo

i'll have him check that\
    57Gregy
    Welcome to the forum.
    Apparently, this sequencer uses floppies, so maybe try saving your project as a MIDI file to a floppy disk, then load it into the Yamaha.

that's what i'd do if it were my set up, for some reason he wants to record it in direct, or maybe just see if it's possible
    jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: Music Creator into an external sequencer ? 2016/11/28 19:41:42 (permalink)
    The Music Creator midi settings need to match the physical midi connections between the computer and QX5. In Music Creator 6 you can go to Edit > Preferences > MIDI devices and whatever device that has the computer midi out port should be listed and highlighted in the midi OUTPUTS selection window.

Does the computer have five pin midi in and out connections or is the computer using a USB to midi convertor?  If the computer is using a USB to midi convertor then the convertor may need to have a driver installed before the USB to midi ports can be used.

A quick glance at the QX5 user manual indicates the device does not seem to be general midi (GM) compatible.  Your friend may need to follow the QX5 user manual to make sure that the midi tracks and channels are set up correctly to record.

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1