Microsoft: If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet ...

Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
2016/12/11 15:16:23 (permalink)

Microsoft: If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet ...

Banner at the top of the support page (article appears to have been posted on Friday, Dec 9th):

If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet we recommend you restart your PC by going to Start, clicking the Power button, then choosing Restart (not Shut down).

https://support.microsoft...work-connection-issues

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 

6 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Microsoft: If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet ... 2016/12/11 16:33:26 (permalink)
    This is a general case solution. In Windows 10 shut down does not clear the system state as it has in earlier versions. In order to fool the user into thinking his computer boots faster, the shut down button actually just closes open programs and then saves the current system state to a hibernation file on the drive. Unlike a reboot, when the hibernated system is started again, the system loads into memory from the hard drive including any errors that were in the system when it was hibernated. Restart actually shuts down the system and reboots it from scratch reinitiating everything. So if you found a problem that could be fixed by rebooting earlier windows systems (and many were) then you need to "restart" in Windows 10 instead of "shut down" followed by power on. Alternatively you can set your computer to actually shut down (not hybrid hibernate) when you shut down by turning off fast boot. The way to turn off fast boot, which is enabled by default, is explained in reverse here:
    http://lifehacker.com/enable-this-setting-to-make-windows-10-boot-up-faster-1743697169

abacab
    Re: Microsoft: If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet ... 2016/12/11 17:36:29 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    This is a general case solution. In Windows 10 shut down does not clear the system state as it has in earlier versions. In order to fool the user into thinking his computer boots faster, the shut down button actually just closes open programs and then saves the current system state to a hibernation file on the drive. Unlike a reboot, when the hibernated system is started again, the system loads into memory from the hard drive including any errors that were in the system when it was hibernated. Restart actually shuts down the system and reboots it from scratch reinitiating everything. So if you found a problem that could be fixed by rebooting earlier windows systems (and many were) then you need to "restart" in Windows 10 instead of "shut down" followed by power on. Alternatively you can set your computer to actually shut down (not hybrid hibernate) when you shut down by turning off fast boot. The way to turn off fast boot, which is enabled by default, is explained in reverse here:
    http://lifehacker.com/enable-this-setting-to-make-windows-10-boot-up-faster-1743697169

+1

Good point!  That's why I always disable hibernation after installing Windows [powercfg -hibernate off].
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-and-re-enable-hibernation-using-microsoft-fix-it

Besides, with an SSD, hibernation is rather redundant anyway

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Microsoft: If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet ... 2016/12/12 11:03:18 (permalink)
    Anyone actually notice any difference in shutdown or boot times with hibernation enabled vs. disabled? I haven't. 

Then again, I make a habit of closing all programs before shutting down, so there isn't much to save. That's a longtime practice dating back to the days of working with large systems where not shutting down programs first was dangerous and strongly discouraged. Most shops had a written shutdown procedure posted next to the system console, and not following it could get an operator fired. Nowadays, users just hit the power switch. I can't bring myself to do that, even if modern operating systems expect it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    abacab
    Re: Microsoft: If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet ... 2016/12/12 11:24:29 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Anyone actually notice any difference in shutdown or boot times with hibernation enabled vs. disabled? I haven't. 

I don't notice any timing changes, but the option for fast startup disappears from the menu with hibernation disabled.

Plus the GB's of SSD space recovered by not having a hiberfil.sys on the system drive is a plus! 

When you leave hibernation enabled, it creates a hiberfil.sys equal to a portion of your installed RAM, which is wasted space if you never use it.  You can look at the hidden protected file at C:\hiberfil.sys file to see how large it currently is.

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Microsoft: If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet ... 2016/12/12 13:33:23 (permalink)
    I definitely notice a difference between starting from a fully hibernated state and a cold boot on one of my systems. Of course that is the system I routinely screw over by installing a gazillion programs and utilities. That system takes four to six minutes to fully load from a cold boot. The reason is that a gazillion processes load, and many contend for access to the network in order to remind me to update to the latest version of the app that I have forgotten I installed, or to make the computer ready to look like I can open programs I never open at lightning speed. All that crap loads much faster from a memory image. Bit obviously cleans house more often than once a decade on his machines.
    abacab
    Re: Microsoft: If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet ... 2016/12/12 14:15:09 (permalink)
    My system fully boots from POST to login screen in about 10 seconds, then about 5 more seconds to a usable desktop after login.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1