Surge Protectors

Author
polarbear
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1212
2016/12/17 18:04:49 (permalink)

Surge Protectors

Hi all,

Question. I currently have a battery backup surge protector with I believe 8 outlets. That's my PC, 2 monitors, Midi Keyboard, Audio Interface, two monitor speakers, router, cable modem, 3 external harddrives, a lamp... And as you can see I'm already way over haha. I just got a Faderport which is gonna be 14.. I'd love to connect another external, that's 15, charge my laptop that's 15, have a phone charger that's 16. Currently I have one of those old school 6 outlet power strips plugged into an extension cord running to the other side of the room to accommodate the other stuff (oh forgot printer too).

Yea. So anyway, I guess my question is, so that I don't have wires running all over my room, can I connect a second, non-battery backed up just regular surge protector to that same wall outlet? Probably like an 8 or even a 12 outlet one. The house is relatively new (I think like 2004ish) if that helps in making the decision.

Thanks for the input. 

http://www.bydavidrosen.com
http://www.imdb.me/davidrosen
Winner of Best Song of 2007 at Acidplanet.com!

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
RME BabyFace Pro - M-Audio Keystation 88es

12 Replies Related Threads

hbarton
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/17 19:56:50 (permalink)
    Hi PB,

Not quite if this is what you are asking, but the surge suppressor/battery backup unit is only going to protect the units "plugged in to it." Anything plugged into the second wall (duplex) outlet will not be protected (or backed up by the battery).

In addition, you might want to make sure you are not too close to the circuit rating of the duplex wall outlet with all those units you intend to plug in. A typical newer home has 15 amp circuit breakers per circuit that can take up to about a 20 amps peak load (or  20 amps x 110 Volts = 2200 Watts). You may have other things already on that curcuit (air conditioner, toaster, etc.) that may kick you over that 20 amps and ruin your recording day by tripping the breaker.

Hope that helps!

h
    polarbear
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/17 20:10:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm a total idiot at this stuff and I'm from the "that's an outlet and this plug fits in it" school of electricity haha.

But yes I definitely know that only the stuff in a surge protector will be protected and only the stuff on the batter backup will stay on in the event of power loss... I know all that.

I'm just wondering if it's safe to have like 20 things plugged in between two surge protectors coming out of the 2 outlets on one Wall. I wouldn't even know where to begin adding up watts and amps. I'm mainly worried about a fire or things getting blown or me dying haha.

EDIT: Oh and like I said... the 20 things are already plugged in in this room (minus like 1 or 2)... It's just half of them are plugged into a surge protector on the other side of the room. I'd rather have both surge protectors plugged into the same 2 outlet wall plate so I can just have all the wires under my desk and out of the way.

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
    Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/17 20:57:12 (permalink)
    polarbear
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm a total idiot at this stuff and I'm from the "that's an outlet and this plug fits in it" school of electricity haha.

But yes I definitely know that only the stuff in a surge protector will be protected and only the stuff on the batter backup will stay on in the event of power loss... I know all that.

I'm just wondering if it's safe to have like 20 things plugged in between two surge protectors coming out of the 2 outlets on one Wall. I wouldn't even know where to begin adding up watts and amps. I'm mainly worried about a fire or things getting blown or me dying haha.

EDIT: Oh and like I said... the 20 things are already plugged in in this room (minus like 1 or 2)... It's just half of them are plugged into a surge protector on the other side of the room. I'd rather have both surge protectors plugged into the same 2 outlet wall plate so I can just have all the wires under my desk and out of the way.

You are probably OK, but to be sure you could add up the wattage rating from the stickers on all those devices, to be sure you're not getting close to 2000 watts on that one circuit!

Most electronics these days use power supplies that convert to DC voltage with just a few amps per wall wart.

I would pay particular attention to any heavy wattage devices.  The biggest loads are electric motors and heating elements like toasters and space heaters.  The main PC power supply could hit 400-600 watts on peak load, depending on what you have installed, as far as discrete video cards and drives.

I would try to separate just the stuff I needed to keep running onto the battery backup, with everything else going into a surge protector, without backup.  I like to keep my cable modem, router, monitor and computer on the battery backup.  That way I can finish up and save my work if the power craps out.  The modem and router is typically low wattage, so if you shut down the PC, you can continue to keep your Wi-Fi running for a while longer to stay connected with a laptop, tablet, or phone.

Just having a bunch of stuff plugged in isn't necessarily a big issue, especially if they're not all being used at the same time, or if they are low wattage electronics.

And yep, those two outlets on that faceplate most likely share the same 15 amp breaker ...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    polarbear
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/17 21:08:39 (permalink)
    I think I'm gonna order a nice surge protector (couldn't hurt to have a better one anyway) and then when I get a chance I'll add everything up like you said. Probably be a good thing for me to learn anyway haha.

Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/17 21:11:20 (permalink)
    You'll be fine. If you were overloading things, you'd know, because that UPS would complain about overload long before you hit the maximum load of the actual electrical circuit. So given that it is happy, you are way below what your line can handle.

Also, you really do want to do what you are talking about because having surge protectors plugged in to UPSes is bad news. Because of the way a line-interactive UPS works, and the way a surge suppressor's clamping works, they can get screwed up and blow each other out in the event of a power failure. So you never want to plug a surge protector in to a UPS.
    polarbear
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/17 21:15:00 (permalink)
    Sycraft

Also, you really do want to do what you are talking about because having surge protectors plugged in to UPSes is bad news. Because of the way a line-interactive UPS works, and the way a surge suppressor's clamping works, they can get screwed up and blow each other out in the event of a power failure. So you never want to plug a surge protector in to a UPS.

Oh no I know that much at least haha. I meant the UPS in one plug of the two outlets on the wall and a surge protector in the other plug on the wall. You know how every wall plate has 2 (or more) outlets. One in one one in the other. Not the surge protector into the UPS. :-)

abacab
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/17 21:23:51 (permalink)
    polarbear
    Sycraft

Oh no I know that much at least haha. I meant the UPS in one plug of the two outlets on the wall and a surge protector in the other plug on the wall. You know how every wall plate has 2 (or more) outlets. One in one one in the other. Not the surge protector into the UPS. :-)

And you really wouldn't want to see what I have going on behind my living room entertainment center and media center PC, LOL!!!  The good news is, no flames yet, but I do have a fire extinguisher in the utility closet 

polarbear
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/17 21:25:45 (permalink)
    Oh man I make it sound like the question is just for my studio but it's 2 rooms that need this much power for me too haha. Ugh... We're addicted haha

abacab
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/17 21:29:30 (permalink)
    polarbear
    Oh man I make it sound like the question is just for my studio but it's 2 rooms that need this much power for me too haha. Ugh... We're addicted haha

+1

Yup, LOL!!!

hbarton
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/18 10:12:55 (permalink)
    Hey PB

All good info here on your question. You might want to pick up a thingy called a "Kilowatt." These let you monitor the circuit "real time" and tell you the wattage (and how many amps is being drawn) for each peice of equipment. Keep in mind that it is not going to tell you how much of a load is on the entire circuit, so there is still a danger of popping a breaker when something else on the circuit is turned on.

Like the others said, you are probably ok and will not burn the house down.  If you are not picking up any hums or radio interference, again you are probably ok.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482071958&sr=8-1&keywords=killowatt

PS if you can afford it, you might want to also pick up a "circuit detective" that will allow you to trace the outlets on a particualr breaker. It is a bit pricey, but you can use it to troubleshoot in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/USA-Tools-More-Circuit-Detective/dp/B01M16X6B0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1482073379&sr=8-5&keywords=circuit+breaker+detective

Take care,
    h

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/19 17:30:09 (permalink)
    The only things I connect to a UPS is the computer and screen, so I get enough time to save stuff and shut down cleanly or hibernate. Many UPS units can't reliably keep a PC plus screen alive for more than a minute or two, despite what the manufacturers claim. It's always a good idea to hook stuff up to the UPS then kill thenpower into the UPS to check it does what you expect, just like it's a good idea to restore a backup sometimes to check that the backups you hope will save you from data loss are actually any good.

Laptops don't get a UPS, they already have a battery.

Everything else gets just surge protection in case of power spikes or nearby lightning ground strike.

I've an insane looking number of wall warts in use, something like 16, and the ring main those are on also carries some other stuff in other rooms. Just because there are two separate sockets a distance apart, don't assume they aren't linked as part of the same ring that goes back to a single fuse/breaker on the mains distribution unit, typically somewhere around 13A in the UK, with typically an 80A building fuse in a domestic premises meter.

The total draw for the wall warts is around 3.5 amps by the way, many are rated at 500mA or more but the synths/fx/drive they're attached to draws nothing like that much. The rating on the wall wart tells you the maximum it can deliver, not how much it's actually being asked for which will always be less.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Surge Protectors 2016/12/20 11:07:17 (permalink)
    +1 to tlw post. 
    Your plan to continue using the UPS and just add a good quality surge protector for the rest is what most do in studios. 
    Most UPS I've used have 3 outlets that use the battery backup and a few more that are just surge protected. 
    Of everything in a modern studio your powered monitors or any guitar amps will be the only big users. Your computer will come next, but the rest of the gear is almost always wall wart driven and not an issue. 
    More important would be to know what else in your household is sharing that breaker. 
    But if it doesn't pop the breaker all is good. there's no danger with the way any house built in the last 40 years are wired unless it's owner built or ? and someone didn't follow the code. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1