Couple of interesting articles on SSD optimizing & performance

Author
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
2016/12/31 12:21:28 (permalink)

Couple of interesting articles on SSD optimizing & performance

Came across these articles on SSD optimizing & performance.

Some of the info is in German and I think the that the benefit of disabling System Restore* is debatable. 
*on my person systems System Restore has let me down every single time I needed it, but on client's systems there's been a time or two when it's been a life saver.

Optimize Windows for SSDs

Optimize SSD Performance

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes

5 Replies Related Threads

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Couple of interesting articles on SSD optimizing & performance 2017/01/06 21:42:27 (permalink)
    FWIW, I'm sticking with sysrestore on, even though my boot is an SSD.

It saved my butt yesterday. Somehow, I don't know if it was Chrome or Microsoft Edge, but a malware Trojan got in - disabled Window Defender, and proceeded to change search settings, weird things things show in the task tray, and so on. I brought up sysinternals process explorer..after about a minute a I tired of playing wack-a-mole trying to kill all the recurring processes. I pulled the plug on my internet connection. I went through and removed a few startup entries, and so on. Still, It bothered me that somehow the Trojan disabled Windows Defender by applying some sort of a group policy to it. Luckily, I had a good restore point from the day before.

It's not that I can't reset my PC and reinstall all my software - all my license data and serials are is stored in multiple cloud accounts plus the software vendors themselves - it's just that it's an all damn day experience installing gigabytes of software....

System restore saved my bacon - so I've decide that the wear and tear on the SSD is worth it.

My project directories, temp directories and such are symbolic links to directories an a spinning-platter hard drive - that's where most of a disk drive's wear and tear comes from, anyway.

laudem Deo
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: Couple of interesting articles on SSD optimizing & performance 2017/01/09 01:09:53 (permalink)
    System Restore... Saved my butt numerous times..

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    fret_man
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 312
    Re: Couple of interesting articles on SSD optimizing & performance 2017/01/11 11:32:55 (permalink)
    Beware, most of those tips are 4-5 years old and many are probably obsolete by now.
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Couple of interesting articles on SSD optimizing & performance 2017/01/12 14:15:35 (permalink)
    These seem to reduce writes to a drive.  The one tip I never like is messing with the page file.  It gets reset in Windows.  That one for me always seems like asking for trouble.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Couple of interesting articles on SSD optimizing & performance 2017/01/13 09:23:03 (permalink)
    >it gets reset by Windows
    Can't say I ever had that issue.

With SSD drives - if the PC has adequate RAM I'll usually set the page file size at a static 1GB or variable 200MB to 1GB for logging Crash Dumps*.  Windows will warn you it needs at least 800GB for crash dump storage if you try to set it lower or eliminate it.

*That being said I've haven't bothered trying to decipher a BS dump in years. When my system blue screens its usually due to swapping audio drivers back & forth. So maybe it's more efficient to completely turn off and only switch it on if you're experiencing crashes.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1