Helpful ReplyComputer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes

Author
ston
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 965
2017/01/10 06:12:38 (permalink)

Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes

I'd had the new MOBO, CPU and RAM kicking around for a (long) while, so finally decided to take the plunge.  I was hoping that I'd be able to sysprep the system image, but unfortunately was not able to as it had, apparently, been 'upgraded'.  Quite what this means in M$ parlance I'm not entirely sure; it could mean that I'd cloned the system from a platter HDD to the current SSD, or maybe even that I'd installed SP1 on top of W7 - who knows?!  I'm mentioning this as using sysprep is the only method I'd suggest using to try to preserve the existing OS and software installation when upgrading a significant chunk of a computer's hardware such as I was doing.  It's either that, or bite the bullet, wipe the system drive and reinstall everything.  There are some youtube videos out there which suggest that you can 'simply' uninstall all the motherboard drivers, swap the hardware over and then reboot, but I honestly don't think you'd get very far with that approach.  You're more likely to end up sitting in front of a completely unresponsive system long before you've managed to uninstall everything pertaining to the old hardware.

If you're thinking of upgrading your computer's hardware and would like to give the sysprep route a go, then there are plenty of guides on the internet for how to use this utility, e.g. http://www.makeuseof.com/...nging-the-motherboard/

As mentioned, sysprep was not available to me so I had to reinstall windows from scratch on the SSD.  Initially, it was not even selectable in the BIOS as a boot drive, and the OS install was failing at the first restart point.  I then removed all other hard drives and started again with just the SSD plugged in; this time it was selectable as a boot device in the BIOS.  I then had to fight the Windows installer a bit more; it initially said that it couldn't install to the drive as it had an MBR partition table and needed to be installed to GPT.  After sorting that out, Windows then told me that it couldn't install to a GPT partitioned drive.  Go figure :-D  In the end, what got it working was just to use the Windows installer to delete all partition information from the drive and create a new one; at this point you should see a 100MB reserved partition and the rest of the drive as another partition that Windows will install to.  This is certainly true of Windows 7, I'm not sure about 8, 8.1 or 10.

I had one more hard drive issue after installing Windows which is that one of the platter drives was not showing up under Windows, but the drive was listed in the BIOS.  If this is the case if/when you upgrade, the drive might be marked as 'foreign' (which I think means the previous Windows installation saw it as having some system-related files on it).  Any drives like this can be imported quite simply using the Windows drive manager.

Fortunately, all my large data stores (for example, the Spectrasonics STEAM folder) and installer files lived on the other non-system drives (as well as being backed-up on my NAS box) so once I'd got the system up and running it was mainly a question of running all the application installers.  There were a few corrupted files which I had to fetch from the internet and the XLN software (always) has to be installed from the web as far as I know.

It still took me about three days to install, (re-)register and configure everything.  I dread to think how long it would have taken me if I hadn't had the data and installers readily available.  Time well spent though I think; the new MOBO had the required 2x PCI slots so I can continue to use my Creamware Pulsar cards and now I have a current gen i7 CPU and 32GB of RAM to play with.

Hopefully some of the above will be of use to people contemplating upgrading the computer hardware.  If you have any questions or would like anything clarified, please ask.
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/10 06:41:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby musicroom 2017/01/12 17:05:53
I recently built a new system (went from an ASRock Z77 motherboard system to an ASUS Z170 motherboard system).  Everything was new except the SSD for OS and Sonar and the optical drives.  I didn't do a new install of Win 10.  As I reused the OS SSD, I just booted it up and Win 10 automatically installed the needed drivers for the new motherboard.  I didn't have to manually install any drivers.  As I already had the "digital entitlement" for Win 10, it automatically activated when I logged in. 

I did have to reauthorize one of my plug ins (don't remember which one) but that was the only recording related issue.  That actually allowed me to clean up that authorization since I had both Win 7 and Win 10 (dual boot) on the old system and only Win 10 on the new system.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/10 09:35:24 (permalink)
I had a similar experience as the OP, ston, did a few years ago, attempting to "sysprep" my Windows 7 Pro SP-1 system for a hardware upgrade from a 10 year old cpu & mobo.  I was upgrading to a new Asus mobo with a 3rd gen Intel Core cpu.

I ended up wasting a couple of days, with sysprep failing at the end, and Win 7 needing a clean install on the new hardware.  I think it was because I had originally installed from a Win 7 Pro OEM disk without SP-1, and had "upgraded" to SP-1.

The good news about Windows 10 that I have heard, is that it has a newer way of "abstracting" the hardware, so that it is resilient to major hardware changes.  It won't freak out if newer mobo hardware is detected, it will automatically detect the drivers that it needs.  That should make future PC upgrades a breeze

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
ston
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/11 06:36:35 (permalink)
Interesting stuff re: W10 and upgrading hardware, thanks.  Although my laptops have both been upgraded to W10, I'm sticking to my W7 guns for my main DAW machine.  There's still some stuff about 10 that get on my nerves a bit - candy bloody crush saga appearing in the start menu for one ;-)
abacab
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/11 08:52:24 (permalink)
ston
Interesting stuff re: W10 and upgrading hardware, thanks.  Although my laptops have both been upgraded to W10, I'm sticking to my W7 guns for my main DAW machine.  There's still some stuff about 10 that get on my nerves a bit - candy bloody crush saga appearing in the start menu for one ;-)

I understand sticking to Win 7.  I still have one running.

Check out these Win 10 tips.  Worked for me!  No more candy crush!

http://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how-to-disable-all-of-windows-10s-built-in-advertising/

http://www.howtogeek.com/249254/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-so-much-data/

http://www.howtogeek.com/241752/how-to-stop-windows-10-apps-from-running-in-the-background/

http://www.howtogeek.com/221864/digging-into-and-understanding-windows-10s-privacy-settings/

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/12 06:33:03 (permalink)
The first link "How to disable all of winds 10s built in advertising" is not applicable to my Win 10 Pro installation (what the link shows is not in my installation).  As the first one is invalid, I didn't look at any others.   But, my system is fine as I have it customized.  Latency Mon shows my system "can handle audio" and there is nothing in red.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
abacab
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/12 10:39:24 (permalink)
fireberd
The first link "How to disable all of winds 10s built in advertising" is not applicable to my Win 10 Pro installation (what the link shows is not in my installation).  As the first one is invalid, I didn't look at any others.   But, my system is fine as I have it customized.  Latency Mon shows my system "can handle audio" and there is nothing in red.

I was replying to the OP's remark that he was annoyed by the Candy Crush appearing on his Win 10 Start Menu.

ston

There's still some stuff about 10 that get on my nerves a bit - candy bloody crush saga appearing in the start menu for one ;-)

Posting that the link is invalid is incorrect.  That could be mistaken to mean that the link is broken.  It is not.

If you don't have that problem, great!  But some others may find that info useful!

ston
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/12 15:22:50 (permalink)
Well, I've already removed some of the more egregious coloured boxes which live under the W10 start menu, but now it's full of rather ugly square 'holes' which seem to have no context menu by which I could fill them with more useful things.  This kind of nonsense is what happens when you have a UI designed for touch applied to a machine which is designed to be used with a k/b and mouse.  I think that I might just install the W7 style start menu on them and be done with it :-)
abacab
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/12 15:42:56 (permalink)
ston
Well, I've already removed some of the more egregious coloured boxes which live under the W10 start menu, but now it's full of rather ugly square 'holes' which seem to have no context menu by which I could fill them with more useful things.  This kind of nonsense is what happens when you have a UI designed for touch applied to a machine which is designed to be used with a k/b and mouse.  I think that I might just install the W7 style start menu on them and be done with it :-)

To add your own tiles, just drag an app that you want to see from the main menu "All Apps" and drop where you like.

Simple!

The context menu only seems to appear after a tile is present.  And you can resize the large area with the tiles by dragging the edge.

musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/12 17:07:32 (permalink)
fireberd
I recently built a new system (went from an ASRock Z77 motherboard system to an ASUS Z170 motherboard system).  Everything was new except the SSD for OS and Sonar and the optical drives.  I didn't do a new install of Win 10.  As I reused the OS SSD, I just booted it up and Win 10 automatically installed the needed drivers for the new motherboard.  I didn't have to manually install any drivers.  As I already had the "digital entitlement" for Win 10, it automatically activated when I logged in. 

I did have to reauthorize one of my plug ins (don't remember which one) but that was the only recording related issue.  That actually allowed me to clean up that authorization since I had both Win 7 and Win 10 (dual boot) on the old system and only Win 10 on the new system.

I have a used i7 cpu and motherboard I acquired and would like to think I could do this as well. I may give it a go in a few weeks. Thanks

Dave
Songs

ston
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/14 05:49:20 (permalink)
abacab
To add your own tiles, just drag an app that you want to see from the main menu "All Apps" and drop where you like.

Simple!

Ta!
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/14 19:35:25 (permalink)
I recently was given this HP Pavilion i7. 
It came with W7 Home and all the wonderful HP bloatware. 
The 1 TB hard drive was a mess from everybody in the family mucking about, torrents etc.. 
So I pulled it and put in a new SSD drive. As you all know you can't use the original OME OS as it is stored in a partition. HP would send the disk for $50. Screw that. 
 out comes the handy cracked W7 DVD. 
It took FOREVER to get W7 up and running. And I had to manually download and install each and every driver from the HP website.  It was about a week before I was trying it out as my possible new DAW machine. 

While I was looking for answers for manually downloading updates for W7 the MS site window begging me to update pops up and I wonder, how much is W10 now? 
This led me to a small corner of the MS community where they explained how you get W10 for free still. 
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/accessibility/windows10upgrade

So I did this and you know, I installed W10 for free and everything worked instantly. No driver issues, nothing, huge time saver is all I can say, I loved W7 but it's now off my list of OS's to use unless no other choice. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

abacab
Re: Computer hardware update - one week in, rambling notes 2017/01/14 19:51:51 (permalink)
Windows 7 lives on for me as a DVR in my living room.  XP lives in my closet.  They are both available if I need to run a legacy app that won't deal with Win 10.  I use Win 10 now for everything that matters

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1