Platinum Softsynth questions

Author
gsteele
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2017/01/11 15:59:27 (permalink)

Platinum Softsynth questions

I've used TTS-1 for piano and Session Drummer 3 for drums. Now I want to try a different better sounding organ/strings/keys soft synth with a pre-existing midi file I have for my piano parts. The midi file has 2 tracks of data.
I downloaded from Control Center Rapture and Dimension Pro this morning. 
Rapture will not read / process the midi file, therefore, am I correct to assume that you must use this softsynth with a keyboard controller. Dimension Pro is a plugin not a softsynth - not listed as a softsynth and can be loaded as plugin in the FX bin. I loaded several files into it using the instructions but it does nothing to the audio track of the midi sent to the TTS-1.

1) What softsynth available in Platinum will play midi files with higher quality sounds than TTS-1. Does your suggested softsynth work the same a TTS1?
2) Can someone describe how Dimension pro works (Briefly) as I cannot figure that out at all.

4 Replies Related Threads

RSMCGUITAR
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re: Platinum Softsynth questions 2017/01/11 17:24:26 (permalink)
    Both Rapture and DimPRO are indeed soft synths and should be able to read midi.
    gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re: Platinum Softsynth questions 2017/01/11 17:55:39 (permalink)
    Dim Pro works just like TTS-1 except it only does one channel.  If you want 2 channels of MIDI then you have to load two instances of Dim Pro.

Could be that your MIDI file is polyphonic?  Try reading it into Sonar and check if it creates multiple MIDI tracks.  If so, load a synth into a track (Dimension, Rapture, etc.) and direct the MIDI tracks to a synth track for the effect that you want.

You may want to check the event log before running it as some have sysex that changes the patches that you might set up.

Glen

Platinum / VS-100 / 12 GB RAM / Win 10 Pro / AMD A8 / MP Touch Monitors
    Platinum / on-board audio / 4 GB RAM /Win 10 Pro / HP dm4 Laptop / stuff
    THpfft!
    gsteele
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Platinum Softsynth questions 2017/01/11 18:22:33 (permalink)
    gcolbert
    Dim Pro works just like TTS-1 except it only does one channel.  If you want 2 channels of MIDI then you have to load two instances of Dim Pro.

Could be that your MIDI file is polyphonic?  Try reading it into Sonar and check if it creates multiple MIDI tracks.  If so, load a synth into a track (Dimension, Rapture, etc.) and direct the MIDI tracks to a synth track for the effect that you want.

You may want to check the event log before running it as some have sysex that changes the patches that you might set up.

Glen

Thank you very very much...you would think the manual would tell you this (maybe it does but I missed it) I loaded a single MIDI track into an instance of DP and Rapture and both play beautifully.  Such a simple fix after hours of banging my head against the wall.....
    :)

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Platinum Softsynth questions 2017/01/11 20:16:52 (permalink)
    gsteele
    gcolbert

Glen

Thank you very very much...you would think the manual would tell you this (maybe it does but I missed it) I loaded a single MIDI track into an instance of DP and Rapture and both play beautifully.  Such a simple fix after hours of banging my head against the wall.....
    :)

Sounds as if you are on the correct track. 

The only point I may add is that if you open the MIDI file in Sonar, it will open the TTS-1 synth and assign all tracks to sounds in the TTS-1 General MIDI sound bank.

If you want to assign specific sounds to a different soft synth, then you can also insert simple instrument tracks with other synths, and then re-assign on a track by track basis as needed, any tracks from TTS-1 that you would wish to be played by the new soft synths.  Many sounds in TTS-1 may sound fine in the mix, but you may wish to improve a few.  This is easy to do!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1