Electrical Noise in Monitors

Author
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
2017/01/18 20:18:36 (permalink)

Electrical Noise in Monitors

(I am very new to all of this, so please keep that in mind).

I have a Roland FA-08 plugged into a Tascam US 4x4 via TRS cables.  Tascam is USB into a homebuilt computer.  I also have the FA08 plugged in USB into the computer.  I have two JBL monitors plugged into the Tascam for output.  I just purchased a used studio desk with a tray for an 88 key board and put everything together this past weekend.

I am not really familiar with the Tascam, but I have it up and working well.  I am just learning about recording audio and Midi (as I said, I'm really new).  I noticed after I got everything together this weekend I have quite a bit of electrical noise in JBL monitors when I turned up the line out on the Tascam.  The noise is substantial.  I tracked down the noise to the USB cable that goes from the FA08 to the computer.  From the keyboard tray, I had the power, TRS cables, and USB all nicely zip tied together and mounted to the desk so I could pull the keyboard tray in and out easily.  Obviously, zip tieing the USB together with the TRS cables is causing the noise (as soon as I disconnect the USB from the FA08, the noise goes away). 

To the point, I think I have a few options..

1)  Is there such thing as a better or "shielded" 1/4 cable I could use that would withstand the USB noise?  What I have now is 6'  unbalanced cables from Guitar Center.  If I could buy something better, I would prefer that, because my option number 2 is:

2)  Drill some holes and modify the desk to physically separate the TRS from the USB.  Even so, I think at some point they will be in contact, but it would only be for a few inches.  If they are close to one another for a few inches I don't know if that will actually solve the problem.  

3)  Just simply disconnect the TRS cables, and record only through the USB, and use the Tascam only for the output to the JBL.  I would prefer to keep the Tascam for the output, as that is less cables going to the keyboard.  In addition, I am saving for a Moog which would require the Tascam.

As I said am trying to learn.  The noise is too much, and I know I need to do something about it.

Thank you.

11 Replies Related Threads

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/01/18 23:57:04 (permalink)
    There is a bit of a contradiction in your description. You talk about TRS cables (which would be balanced) and then mention unbalanced cables (which would be TS connectors).

TRS/XLR (i.e. balanced) cables are shielded by design - interference along the signal path cancels out when the signal is recombined on the other end. So if your cables are unbalanced and you can use balanced ones, you should get balanced ones before trying anything else ... but check interface specs and monitor specs to see if these really accept balanced connections (TRS/XLR) because if one end is unbalanced connection, then changing cables won't help.

However, this could also be a case of "dirty" USB power supply or some manifestation of a ground loop. Try a different USB port or try with another PC (best a laptop run on battery) and see if the USB noise persists

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Markubl2
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/01/19 08:06:20 (permalink)
    Sorry for the confusion.  These are unbalanced cables.  I thought everything was TRS.

All the USB ports in the computer exhibit the same noise.  I can't really change computers, because this is my DAW computer.

fret_man
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 312
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/01/19 09:17:04 (permalink)
    If your DAW computer is a laptop then unplug its power and run it off of batteries for a test. Does the noise go away? 
    Markubl2
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/01/19 09:25:10 (permalink)
    DAW is a homebuilt PC, not a laptop (see signature for details)
    Markubl2
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/01/19 13:50:57 (permalink)
    After some further research and testing, I think it is a USB ground look. 

So, for me, I wonder if it is just as easy to simply remove the USB connection. I don't "technically" need it at all. I was just playing around with different input/outputs in the DAW.

So, I now have two options:
    1) Disconnect the instrument cables and record only via USB, and use the AI as output only, or
    2) Disconnect the USB and use the AI for everything. I could do midi for VSTi through a Midi cable through from the FA to the Tascam.

Is there a benefit one way or the other?
    post edited by husker - 2017/01/19 14:34:26
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/01/19 16:01:38 (permalink)
    Make sure your interface and powered speakers are plugged into the same outlet, so they share a common ground.

Your interface does not appear to have balanced outputs, so balanced cables aren't going to help and will only drop signal level to the monitors.

Do you hear the noise in headphones plugged into the interface's headphone jack? It's possible the USB cable is radiating noise, in which case you might look into a higher-quality shielded USB cable. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Markubl2
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/01/19 16:13:11 (permalink)
    I'll check the headphones tonight.  So plugging in the AI and the JBLs into the same strip, and the keyboard and computer into the other would prevent a loop?  I thought that is they way I had it set up, but I will have to check.
    Markubl2
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/01/19 16:16:16 (permalink)
    I looked and the outputs of the 4x4 are balanced.  However, I was referring to the TS cables I have between the keyboard and the interface, not the interface and JBLs.  I guess this would matter as well....

Still thinking though the best solution would be to just get rid of the USB, as it seems pretty superfluous.  Just not sure.

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/01/24 11:34:23 (permalink)
    Almost always a grounding issue.
    Power the entire setup from a single outlet.
    That'll help eliminate ground issues.

Sometimes a poor quality USB cable can also induce noise.
    Try swapping the cable for a higher quality cable.

USB connection (in-and-of-itself) isn't the problem

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Markubl2
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/01/24 12:08:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for your response Jim.  I tried to put everything into one outlet, but the wicked hum continued.  I'm a bad musician, but even worse electrician.  I ended up just rewiring everything - I removed the USB and added a midi cable to the Tascam.  Everything seems to be fine now.  
    Markubl2
    Re: Electrical Noise in Monitors 2017/02/08 20:23:04 (permalink)
    OK, I worked on this most of this afternoon.

1)  I tried multiple USB cables - no change
    2)  I plugged everything into one power strip - no change
    3)  I plugged everything into a second power strip - no change
    4)  I took a spare computer and plugged the Tascam and FA-08 into that - no change

The noise always remained.

I found some oddities, though.  I don't even have to have my computer plugged into the wall to hear the noise - as long as both the Tascam and Keyboard are plugged in USB, I hear it - whether or not the computer is actually plugged into anything.

If I unplug the TRS cables from the Tascam, the noise goes away as well (which I guess would make sense)?

Now, all that being said, I wonder if this is actually an issue.  For me to hear the noise, I have to jack the line out of the Tascam way up, as well as turn the JBLs up as well.  Maybe this is one of those "it is what it is" things, and it shouldn't really matter.

Thoughts?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1