AnsweredPlease help me logon to Win 10 from Microsoft Live account used in initial configuration

Author
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
2017/01/19 16:31:00 (permalink)

Please help me logon to Win 10 from Microsoft Live account used in initial configuration

I am helping a fairly non-computer literate friend with their laptop, so that they can buy Cakewalk and make some music.

Here is the issue.  When I first received the laptop and was requested to do initial configuration, such as using an already defined Microsoft Live Account email address to do the initial logon, to set preferences, register it, and then create what would become the local Admin account.  (Then I was to remove unwanted free trial stuff and install Avast free antivirus, and eventually help install their new purchase of Sonar, etc)

SO, I did indeed sign on for the first time - to this store-bought laptop, and used the Microsoft Live Account that they wanted associated as the registered owner.  I also created a local Admin user to handle day to day stuff. 

My friend then was having some sort of brain fart issues and decided for some reason to delete the local Admin account I had set up, and also doesn't remember the password for the one additional user she set up.

SO, how can I get to login with the initial Microsoft Live account I initially signed on for first configuration?  I do not see this account show up as a user I can logon with.

I Know about getting Admin enabled, but I am trying to get this accomplished prior to getting into Windows - the whole problem is Logging In to Windows. 

I already know that Microsoft Live Account is active and works - I just don't know how to use it to get logged in to Windows on this laptop.  Once in, I can straighten out the user ID situations.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Please help me logon to Win 10 from Microsoft Live account used in initial configurati 2017/01/19 17:04:01 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby robert_e_bone 2017/01/19 17:35:56
I had a similar problem with Win 8.  I had to do a reinstall, no way to get around it according to the "gurus" on the Win 8 forum.  I suspect that will have to happen with this too.
Post on the Win 10 forums and see if one of the guru's there can offer any possible way.
www.tenforums.com

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
robert_e_bone
Re: Please help me logon to Win 10 from Microsoft Live account used in initial configurati 2017/01/19 17:35:53 (permalink)
Yeah I am just going to wipe and start over, thanks.  :)

Not a huge deal - there were no documents needing to be saved yet on this laptop, so off with its head!

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Please help me logon to Win 10 from Microsoft Live account used in initial configurati 2017/01/19 20:25:51 (permalink)
Here's some info on Windows local accounts vs MS accounts:

How to Revert Your Windows 10 Account to a Local One (After the Windows Store Hijacks It)
http://www.howtogeek.com/...dows-store-hijacks-it/

And this:
Quick Tip: Change to a local account in Windows 8.1
http://www.techrepublic.c...account-in-windows-81/

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
robert_e_bone
Re: Please help me logon to Win 10 from Microsoft Live account used in initial configurati 2017/01/19 21:17:01 (permalink)
Thanks - I will check it out.

Bob Bone

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Please help me logon to Win 10 from Microsoft Live account used in initial configurati 2017/01/22 11:00:47 (permalink)
I would try contacting MS via the Chat on a second computer. I've done this a few time now. You get someone right away, no waiting, and they will either say it can't be done or will fix it remotely. 
Just have all the information ready and the laptop plugged in using Ethernet. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

robert_e_bone
Re: Please help me logon to Win 10 from Microsoft Live account used in initial configurati 2017/01/22 22:35:27 (permalink)
I found a BUNCH of bugs in the Microsoft Account account creation processes found in many of the numerous links they have floating around out there.

So, part of the issue for the computers I am configuring is that the original corporate email the business owner set up for me to use for the initial user account for each laptop is NOT valid to be designated as a Microsoft Account - because it is associated with a company domain that it doesn't like.

What I mean is that you can designate some non-Outlook or Hotmail accounts to be a Microsoft Account, BUT not all of them.  Microsoft allows a Gmail or a Yahoo email account to be a Microsoft Account, but NOT an email such as joe_user@billybobspizza.com (not a real email, by the way).  

So, OK - that is fairly arbitrary on Microsoft's part, but OK, so I decided to create a new Microsoft Account connected to Outlook.com, however that TOO ran into problems.

Besides some REALLY aggravating logic the Microsoft Account creation scripting uses to determine if a given account typed in is available or not to become a unique new account, there is a 20-character LIMIT to how long the account name + the Outlook.com extension can be.

So, I ended up spending HOURS trying various shortened names still trying to resemble the company for which I was trying to create some accounts to be used to do the Admin functions (install software, run system maintenance, defrag hard drives, create users for the non-admin folks who will be using the laptops day to day, etc....

I am finally past it all, and am as I type this, in the middle of configuring the laptops now.

So. a PAIN, but finally a workable pain.

Bob Bone

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1