Helpful ReplyMy studio desktop build!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re: My studio desktop build! 2017/02/08 15:36:59 (permalink)
Maarkr
Built this years ago and needing to do a remake...  drawers were originally made to fit floppies and CDs!

That's awesome Mark! Is the upper display mounted on the wall, or just on its base or what?
I'd guess you're like me in the camp of folks who'd rather to look up than down at their displays.

I'm looking at lumber now to build the frame. Anyone got a clue as to why wood is listed as, for example, 2x4, but then they put the actual dimensions at 1.5 x 3.5? My design is sort of based on absolutes, so to speak.

Finding surface boards is going to be difficult because the top surfaces are so large, but hopefully I can roam around the neighborhood a bit and find someone throwing away tables, drawers and stuff and salvage those parts.
post edited by davdud101 - 2017/02/08 16:12:52

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
davdud101
Re: My studio desktop build! 2017/02/08 23:02:51 (permalink)
I've determined exactly what materials I'll be buying and stuff. At the moment, it looks like a mixture of 1x2s, 3s and 4s, plus some nice plywood. I'm not sure if I want to stain it all at once, piece by piece, or perhaps leave the "frame" parts unstained and just do the surfaces so that it get's a bit two-toned like in the renders.
In any case, I'm looking to go out tomorrow to get the supplies.

I've got a LOT of cuts to make, and even two at 45-degree angles. Any good recommendations on where I can get wood cut? I get the feeling I asked earlier, but it's getting more official, so I'm looking for rather 'solid' sources at this point.

This is sooo exciting!!

Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: My studio desktop build! 2017/02/09 02:34:54 (permalink)
I wish I had the talent to make my own custom desk! But I'm useless with tools. I'm quite good at "recycling" things though.

My "desk" is a very simple computer desk I bought on Amazon. The keyboard drawer is a perfect fit for my small 49 notes controller.

Behind that desk is a large dresser, which I use for extra space, to put the iMac, the audio interface, etc. I used to use blocks of concrete on the dresser to elevate my monitors, but I eventually bought a pair of stands.

For each corner in the back, I recycled a pair of nightstands to put the secondary monitors.

I even recycled a pair of black pillow shams to cover up the nightstands!

Doesn't beat custom built furniture, but I love my setup.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Maarkr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 488
Re: My studio desktop build! 2017/02/10 20:04:35 (permalink)
thanks, the upper monitor is mounted to the top shelf.  I had a programming job that req'd 2 monitors side by side, and I like that better, but when I orig built this you could fit two 19" mons side x side in the main area, then I bought this 27" and that filled it up.  
Finding a used table/desk is a big plus but you'll still need some skills & tools to fab a good custom desk.  Mine used some maple and birch ply with a kitchen countertop for the main desk area, with a bookcase on one end as a leg.  The top section was so much weight on the desk area that I had to attach a 2" angle iron underneath to support it, lol. They have large pine "desktops" at lumber centers... glued up pine board pieces in the lumber area.  

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
davdud101
Re: My studio desktop build! 2017/04/11 03:30:17 (permalink)
Bringing this project back up, as I'll be getting back into it sometime within the next two months, hopefully!

First things first- I'm going to build more proper, somewhat nicer-looking stands for my monitors. They're still sitting up on tissue boxes, but now I've put some egg carton in between to reduce the amount of surface in contact with the monitors themselves. (They're small 3-inchers, so they're thankfully light enough for these makeshift stands).

Since this first, hyper-temporary build is going to be free, I'm just gonna cut one wall off of the tissue boxes, add some layers of foam for better support,  then paint the whole thing black, maybe. We'll see how it looks - planning to do it tomorrow! :)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1