Helpful ReplyTwo support "ticket" questions

Author
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
2017/01/21 21:23:46 (permalink)

Two support "ticket" questions

I have submitted a few support issues recently (August 2016). 

One of them, after some urging got "sent to development".  I no longer have the option to "bump" this request as you might a forum post.  I can't comment on it or ask about it.  I have received no feedback at all, and of course, the fix hasn't happened.  As far as I know, it is sitting at the very bottom of a bin of reported tickets that have been there as long as this bug has been around - since at least the x-series product began.

The second one is still listed as "This is a new problem report. It has not yet been reviewed by Cakewalk."  I have updated this ticket 4 times, once each month since it was reported.  I have received no feedback, it has not been sent on to development, and as far as I can tell, this ticket has no voice.

Both of these tickets were completely described with the issue, the steps to report it, and both have existed through many versions, at least as far back as X1.  These are both things that flat out do not work.  One is extremely simple to reproduce, the other is a little more complicated and the two both are connected to Midi Remote Control.  ACT does not provide the facility I need so I've resorted to this method and it simply doesn't work.  I cannot fathom how this feature is even IN the program for the fact that the first of these two bugs exists.

So three questions:

1. Is anyone here able to SAVE a project that has a single Midi Remote Control set up and then open the project and still have that Midi Remote Control still in it?  I can't.  I have to re-create this one remote control for a mute button every time I open a project - any project.  It's really annoying and I can't imagine how irritating it would be if you set up several such remote control scenarios.

2. Is anyone able to setup a Midi Remote Control on a toggle - like a button - such as a send on/off - and use the midi remote control to actually have an effect?  Here's what I mean: you have the remote control on the send on/off on a track or bus, you press the button on the midi controller, you see the send turn on and off on the screen, but the audio is unaffected.  When you manually click the same on/off with your mouse, both the display and the audio are affected as you would expect.

3. Is  there some way that I can get the second ticket at least recognized as being there and is there any way I can get some sort of feedback on these two items? 

The "does not save midi remote control" is the one that is still considered a "new ticket" and is ticket #54259.

The "midi remote control buttons have no real effect" is the one that has been sent to development and is ticket #54260.

Both tickets were submitted on 8/20/2016, so I don't think I'm being pushy in expecting someone to do SOMETHING with either or both of these easy-to-reproduce, version-spanning, obviously-broken things.

Looking forward to any assistance!

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
Dilaco1
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/01/22 00:05:58 (permalink)
Hi Blades

Sorry I can't help you with your tech issues, but I thought I'd give you a bit of moral support on the ticket issue.

I sent a tech support question to Cakewalk a couple of months or so ago, and after waiting a long time and getting no response, then sending them a follow up email asking for a response please, I finally got an email from them. Their email contained an apology for the delay, and a plug about the new "Bakery" forum, but they completely ignored my tech question in the response - not a word in reference to it!

Cakewalk by Bandlab; RME Fireface 800 audio interface; Windows 7 (64bit);
Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/01/26 21:21:25 (permalink)
Thanks for the input, Dilaco1.

Anyone able to reproduce the issues I've reported or want to tell me a way to make them work?

Anyone able to get Cakewalk to look into either or both of these issues?

Blades
The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/01/26 22:00:09 (permalink)
i just gave it a whirl, and i can set it up with remote control and when the send is triggered to off by the set key the output to the bus is not heard, when triggered back on it is heard. also i can save the project, close it, reopen it and the remote key still works. seems fine here.

so that would be a 1. yes and 2.yes
The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/01/26 22:30:38 (permalink)
Blades

Ilike a button - such as a send on/off - and use the midi remote control to actually have an effect? 

oh and you realize that if you select the 'note on/off' option in the remote dialogue, when you press the key it will switch off the send, but when you release the key it will turn it back on, with 'note on/off' you would have to hold the key for as long as you wanted the send to be off. if you select the 'note on' option in the remote dialogue it will act as you desire
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/01/27 02:23:01 (permalink)
Remote control works and persistent for me. I do not use that feature for strip or plug-in controls, for that I have AZ Controller, but for Matrix view there is no alternative.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/02/02 21:03:15 (permalink)

Ok - so I'll reproduce this again and if I can get it to fail as described, I'll post a video of what I'm trying to do.  I have done this over and over and it is consistently a problem for me, so I don't know what is the difference.

As for the "way" that I'm doing the trigger: I'm using a midi note, yes.  There is a place where I am able to get this to work, and that is to mute an output.  So to accomplish what my original goal of this was, I set a "remote control" to Note C1 to toggle the mute on a hardware output.  I do the same for the other output, but start it in the opposite state.  So the result is that when I hit the key, it mutes one output and in-mutes the other, so I can use this single button to switch between monitors and headphones (monitors are out2, phones are out1).  The on/off press/release is not causing a problem with the mutes, so I don't know why it would cause a different issue with the sends. Remember, what I SEE is the correct behavior.  What I HEAR is not.

The way I was originally trying to do this was to simply set the send on and off on the Master bus to toggle which send is being used - with send1 going to out1 and send 2 going to out2.  The way I'm doing it now is just as functional, but is only a single example.  The Send (as opposed to the mute) is the difference - using the exact method to assign the midi remote control for both and only one of them working.  I took this to the track level from the Bus level to see if it was a bus problem, but I can replicate the issue there as well.

And as far as the save is concerned, I've tried the non-working remote setups and the working mute setups and none of them save with the project for me - consistently. 

Thanks for taking a look. I'll post back.  Maybe it mysteriously got fixed somewhere along the way or I have a screwed up "base project".  I've used this project as a "start point" for years - so maybe I'll try to create a new project from the base templates provided within the new Sonar instead of the old template I'm using.

Another point: this is a two-fold post - part one is about this particular pair of problems and part two is about the non-answers in the support system.  Remember that one of these hasn't been read by Cakewalk and the other has been sent to development. If they sent the issue to development, they must think it's actually a problem.  The other, well - I just haven't heard, so I don't know what they think.

Thanks again for your time and input!

Blades
Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/02/03 23:03:18 (permalink)
I was able to reproduce MOST of this issue.  It seems that some of my problem has gone away and MOST of it remains.

• The SAVE issue seems to have been Partially resolved.  The Bus Midi Remote Control at the Bus section allows me to save the midi remote setting and reloads it with the project.  However, since that doesn't actually function properly, I have gone to using the midi remote control for the mute/unmute of the actual audio output.  I assign a midi remote control to THAT and save and when I reload, the midi remote no longer works and has to be re-assigned each time.
  • The ability to trigger a bus on/off at a TRACK level seems to be working
  • The ability to trigger a bus on/off at the BUS level still seems to be broken.

Here is a video screencast showing the problem(s).  I hope that this makes more sense than my text descriptions have been.  I also hope that someone is able to reproduce this and explain what I'm doing wrong.

Here's a link to the video example: https://www.screencast.com/t/7jz3xt2Bg0F3

Blades
Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/02/06 21:45:51 (permalink)
Anyone have a chance to watch this and see if it can be replicated?

Anyone from Cakewalk willing to take a look at the tickets I opened and see what the holdup is?

Blades
Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/02/19 22:33:41 (permalink)
Well?  Anyone?  Thoughts?  Help?

You know - it's not this is critical or anything, but it would be nice to get some input from the Cakewalk people.  I appreciate the responses that I DID get on this for other parts that DO work - but what about the parts described here that don't?  Or a way to accomplish the same without these things?

Blades
Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/02/24 20:35:30 (permalink)
Seriously?  No one?  Not one Cakewalk person that can help or who has any input here?  No one else who can verify that this really is a problem?  I know it's a pretty specific combo of things that fail here, but I'm really surprised I have so little feedback.

Blades
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/02/24 21:36:45 (permalink)
Hi, Blades. You've given me moral support for my support woes in the past, so I would like to return the favor.

It seems to me that technical support not responding is also a customer service issue. A Cakewalk staffer recently claimed, "Our Customer Service team has been very successful at responding to inquiries rapidly, almost always within the same business day a request has come in. We also now answer inquiries 24/7 versus previously where it was only from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST Mon-Fri."

Maybe it's a good time to put that to the test.
Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/02/24 22:04:06 (permalink)
Hey telecharge - yeah - I think I HAVE put that to the test, both through the normal expected support channels (i.e. opening a ticket) and through the forum here begging for someone to at least acknowledge the ticket.  Same business day?  I'd like same business year at this point!

As the owner of tech support company (which I know I've mentioned here many times), I'd be horrified if one of my clients had to go to a public forum to complain that ticket was not being answered AT ALL.  Embarrassing!  I'd have an HR meeting that day with that employee.  Here - I get neither a response to the ticket(s) nor to the public plea for help.

Not sure what else to do to get a simple "yep or nope" at this point.

Thanks for your support, though. :)

Blades
Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/03/11 03:08:12 (permalink)
So sad am I. 

Blades
Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/03/18 17:23:01 (permalink)
Telecharge / all,

I have submitted an email to support to follow up on both of these issues today - Saturday at 1:20pm.  I will report back about this 24/7 commitment and "same day responses".  I don't necessarily expact a Saturday solution or even a response, but I think that (unlike my ticket submissions) I should get a response at some point anyway - vs the wait since last September.

Blades
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/03/18 17:32:05 (permalink)
I agree with you, you should get a response.. unless your membership has expired and you no longer qualify for support. are you using the latest version of sonar platinum ? Sorry I had to ask I didn't see it in the post.

they also could have looked at your support ticket and figured it may be a hardware issue and not related to sonar. Because its kind of a tricky situation here. its not like your saying "Hey the FX bin isn't working. It has to do with external gear so it could be related to your control, hardware ,exc.

At any rate, I agree, support needs to pick up a bit. but there might be a reason why you haven't heard back.
the biggest one: are you using the latest version ? do you qualify for support ?

It is imperative that you leave a good description of your version of Sonar because if not, we are all playing the guessing game.
Support for sonar X3 was discontinued over a year ago. so if you are trying to get support for that, they wont even bother.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/03/18 18:19:36 (permalink)
Chuckebaby,

I am a Platinum lifer!

I don't think there is a hardware issue at play here.  I could easily set the bus sends the same way using a reverb or something and have the same "doesn't turn on and off" and as for the save issue, I tried to set it to my other sound card's outputs as well (actually two other types of hardware, a soundblaster and a Line6 Toneport)) and the save still doesn't work.  So, both cases have been tested out with alternate options and worked (or not) the same way.

Blades
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/03/21 16:43:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/03/31 16:00:33
Hi Everyone,

I've been PM'ing with Blades, but I just wanted to post this as a general reminder. If you're using the Problem Report form, please make sure to read the notice at the bottom before submitting.

PLEASE READ
Filling out this form will not put you in direct contact with Product Support or a human of any kind. If you are seeking support for your Cakewalk product please see our support contact information page to get in touch with the right person who can assist you. Additionally, consider visiting our FAQ as well as product support pages first to ensure that what you are experiencing is not a configuration problem or setting that could easily be corrected.

Problem Reports go into a queue with all our automatic fault reporter cases. This system can see hundreds/thousands of cases a month, so it's almost impossible to go through everything manually. Hence the reason for the disclaimer. Investigations and fixes get allocated as engineering and feature forecasts dictate.

That said, with issues that are a hinderance to your workflow or you have questions on, it's always best to send a ticket into Support directly. Much like Blades did on the 17th indicating the cases of note. This way eyes can be directed towards the needle in the stack of needles. 

Thanks again everyone!

Best Regards,
Seth
Blades
Re: Two support "ticket" questions 2017/06/25 01:44:19 (permalink)
Just as a follow-up on this issue:  Seth got development's eyes on this.  He sent my demo video on how to repro the issue to them, they saw what the problems were, and in the 6/17 version, BOTH of these have been addressed and fixed.

I hope that someone other than me was wanting to use these features.

Yea! Finally!  

Of course, I only needed one of them fixed for my purposes, and it could have been either one, but both is good for a few reasons:

1. I can CHOOSE either method depending on my reasons.
2. I know that I 'm not losing my mind.  These really were bugs and not something I was doing wrong or expecting to work in a way not intended.

Thanks to Seth for getting these pushed into development and noticed.

Blades
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1