VST Scan does not work

Author
schnibbelkram
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
2016/12/30 07:32:38 (permalink)

VST Scan does not work

Hi Guys,
just installed the 64 Version of MC7. I had the 32 Version installed before on my PC. But now the VST Scan does not work. Nothing happens. When i go to the plugin manager and try to scan from there, the VST scan crashes every time.

19 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2016/12/30 12:10:30 (permalink)
    Try running the scanner from MC7 Preferences > File > VST Settings. Since you have been using all 32bit plug-ins in the past, make sure where possible to have the 64bit versions installed. How far does the scanner get before crashing? Are there any messages associated with the crash. If it is having trouble with particular plug-ins, move them out of the scan path. Are there paths other than the defaults in the scan path? To create a log hold the SHIFT key while starting the scanner. It may provide some useful information.
    schnibbelkram
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2016/12/31 04:12:17 (permalink)
    Well, it just says "searching for plugins", and thats it. Nothing else happens. Already tried to start it from the settings, same thing. Also started the scan from the plugin manager - crashes every time.
    I`m not sure what do you mean by "Are there paths other than the defaults in the scan path?"
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2016/12/31 15:34:02 (permalink)
    The paths are shown above the scan button in preferences. The default entries are:
    c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins
    c:\program files\common files\vst3

schnibbelkram
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/02 09:01:49 (permalink)
    Ok, i understand. Yes , i have some more paths/folders than those 2.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/02 11:29:05 (permalink)
    when you install new plugins, it really helps to pay attention to where the installer wants to put the files.  If it gives you the option to choose the destination, be sure to put it where your scanner is already looking.

If it's 64 bit and you have 32 bit plugs in it's scan path, it will not find anything.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    schnibbelkram
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/02 12:52:51 (permalink)
    I`m aware that i can choose where to put the plugins ,and i always did install them in my VST folders. Basicly i have 2 folders , one with 32 and one with 64 plugins. The 64 Version of MC7 does not find any of them, while the 32 version worked fine and found all the 32 plugins. Also i thought that there is a file inside of MC7 , that will let you work with some 32 Plugins, even if you have the 64 version istalled.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/03 04:43:04 (permalink)
    I would think that it is dying very early in the scan process - usually a VST scanning crash indicates a bridging issue, where for some reason one or more of the 32-bit plugins are failing during the scan's query of each plugin - as it asks each plugin to basically identify itself and to supply some basic info back to the VST Scan utility.

You could try temporarily copying off the current list of search paths (so you know what to restore later, potentially), and create a new folder that you can make be the only path searched, and very slowly copy a small number of plugins from the original paths into this new folder, and slowly work your way through adding a couple of plugins at a time into that folder and then scanning, and if it works then add a few more plugins and scan again, and repeat this until you get to one that is failing, and leave that one OUT of that folder and keep on working through the rest of the plugins.

At the end of the above process, you will have a folder that contains only those plugins that do NOT crash the VST scan, and more importantly, you will have identified all of the plugins that DO crash the scan process.

Then, you can take those identified as failing OUT of the original scan paths, and recreate the original search paths for the scan, and it should now work, because any that caused the failures are no longer present in your search paths.

If it wasn't 3:30+ in the morning, I could likely have greatly simplified the comments above, and made it easier to follow.  Hopefully, you will make sense of what I tried to explain.

It may be possible that there are perhaps new and improved versions of whichever plugin(s) fail, OR that there may be 64-bit versions of those plugins available, where you could end up with working versions of these plugins to complete your ending up with a complete set of plugins that work in 64-bit operation.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    schnibbelkram
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/06 09:00:29 (permalink)
    well...uhm....thanks....but i hope there is a easier way to fix this, since this method would take hours of work. So if someone has an alternative idea...
    The scan doesn`t even find all the 64 plugins, even when i remove the 32 folders path from the scan...
    schnibbelkram
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/09 15:20:49 (permalink)
    Guys, is nobody out there ,who has a solution for this? I need your help !
    gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/09 18:44:27 (permalink)
    Sorry Hans,  No issues with VST scan here.
    I have had problems in the past where Windows Update failed to apply an update, but completed.  I have had to force Windows updates to get Sonar products to work in the past.  You may want to check your Windows Update logs and look for failed updates.

Short of that, you may need to go through the process that Bob recommended above.

glen

Platinum / VS-100 / 12 GB RAM / Win 10 Pro / AMD A8 / MP Touch Monitors
    Platinum / on-board audio / 4 GB RAM /Win 10 Pro / HP dm4 Laptop / stuff
    THpfft!
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/18 13:24:00 (permalink)
    unfortunately, the process of elimination is the only way I can think of to determine what's going on as well.

I'd start by eliminating all of the x64 folders and making sure it gets through the x32 ones first.  if it doesn't, then start eliminating there using Bob's suggestion.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    schnibbelkram
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/19 06:25:37 (permalink)
    @scook : I held the shift key while starting the scan, but a log doesn`t pop up (?)
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/21 09:59:28 (permalink)
    It has been some time since having the vstscan.exe released with MC7 on my machine. Logging was added to the scanner around July 2015. It is possible the feature did not make it into the scanner bundled with MC7. You could ask support for a newer version of the scanner or get it by loading a demo of a newer product. Demos update all the shared utilities.

The approach suggested by Beagle and Bob might be just as fast in determining what plug-ins are the problem.

schnibbelkram
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/23 03:49:15 (permalink)
    You mean i should download and install a demo of Sonar? Unfortunately the support takes very long to reply, at least that is my personal experience.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/23 13:41:18 (permalink)
    If you do, it will install the latest shared utilities. NOTE: This probably will not solve the problem. I suspect the issue is with some 3rd party 32bit plug-ins or a bad scan path. The methods described above should help you narrow down the source of the problem. Newer utilities may a few bug fixes and the scanner would have the logging feature.

In the past, Cakewalk support has supplied updated shared utilities when they though it would help resolve a scanning issue.

Avoiding 32bit plug-ins when running a 64bit host is always a good idea.
    schnibbelkram
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/24 06:24:59 (permalink)
     Ok, i will give it a try. But since i already ran the scan without the 32bit plugin path, and it did not find most of the 64bit plugins anyway (only a few 3rd party effects, but none of the 3rd party instruments), i doubt that the 32bit plugins are the problem here :-(  What do you mean by bad scan path?
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/24 09:01:45 (permalink)
    If 32bit programs are not in the path and it still fails then we do not know anything about the 32bit plug-ins.
    All we know at this point is some 64bit third party effects and no third party instruments are getting found by the scanner. We have no idea what plug-ins are involved, how or where there were installed. There is no mention of whether the running with the factory defaults works. There are no details provided about the scan path other than it includes more than factory defaults. Examples of bad paths are
    • including multiple paths to the same folder (for example C:\folder and C:\folder\subdir would both scan subdir)
    • including paths that contain dlls which are not VST plug-ins.
    schnibbelkram
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/25 05:45:24 (permalink)
    This reads like you`re saying that i did not provide enough info`s for you guys to analyse the problem?
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: VST Scan does not work 2017/01/30 01:00:40 (permalink)
    Yes - the multiple things that scook explained about us not having any info on is exactly that - we do not yet have enough information on exactly what your configuration/setup is, so it is really just a guessing game on our part - at the moment.

1) Please detail exactly what VST search paths you have specified for the 64-bit install of MC7.

2) Please consider that IF a single 32-bit plugin (effect or instrument), OR a dll that is NOT a plugin, are present in any of the folders specified in your VST search path (and this includes all sub-folders to any of those folders) - then you could be going belly up early in the scan and thus not getting anything coming back for your 64-bit scan.  One way around this is to create a new folder - perhaps C:\Program Files\Plugins-Temp or something like that, and just for testing purposes, make THAT folder the only folder specified in the VST Scan Paths for MC7.  Then, take something that you are absolutely SURE is a 64-bit plugin, and do a COPY/PASTE to place a copy of it in the new Plugins-Temp folder, and then run your VST Scan.  If THAT fails, then there really is something quite wrong going on.  It SHOULD work like a champ.  Then, if that works, add a small number of additional 64-bit plugins into that same Plugins-Temp folder and rescan the VST plugins again.  If it works, repeat the process of adding a few, and scanning.  If any one set of plugins ends up to where the scan fails, then one or more of THAT small set of plugins last added to the Plugins-Temp folder is a problem child for some reason.  You can then remove just that last set of plugins, then add them back in one at a time and scan, and repeat, until you figure out which one(s) fail.

Eventually, using the above approach, you should be able to build as complete set of 64-bit plugins that work as possible, in that Plugins-Temp folder, and will have not added any failing ones to it.  THEN, you can either replace all the plugins in the path you USED to use, and repopulate that folder from the Plugins-Temp folder, then alter the VST search paths to point just to that original folder again (with its successfully scanned plugins), and be all good to go - with a final scan.

The above is a methodical approach, where the ones that work are collected, and no bad ones are allowed to remain there, and at the end, you will have a complete set of plugins that all do get past the scanning process.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1